What Kind of Water?

• Tap

Votes: 67 38.3%
  • Distilled

Votes: 71 40.6%
  • Bottled

Votes: 37 21.1%

• Total voters
Every person I've ever heard who tried to use rain water run off for watering their plants (including myself) ended up with plants with root rot or what's called "dampening off". 6 or 7 others besides myself actually. Think about it...the roof is a nasty enviroment with pollens and anything else blowing in the wind and animal and insect shit on it as well as oils from the shingles and seam sealants.

I found a little meter just like a soil ph tester that you stick in the soil and it measures the dampness. I wouldn't have bought one originally but since finding it and using it I would buy another if I ever need too. It's very convenient.

its not that hard..just get a garbage can and put in the nessary stuff for a hose and stuff..or just use it as a well...you can run the gutter into the lid ((with the lid having a hole cut for it))...then under the lid you install a screen to keep bugs, leaves, other various gutter runoff, and even if you keep the lid off, still have a screen to keep mosquitos (sp) out...

Yeah but like Racefan says, plenty stuff to screw thangs up. :cheesygrinsmiley:

More for the truck garden than the Darlin' Farm :cheesygrinsmiley:

They have much larger tanks than I could scrounge.
And since they are black,
I'm thinking, the heat may clean up the water a bit.
Haven't called to talk to them yet to see what they offer.

I chose distilled even though it's R.O. (reverse osmosis) ... close enough though.

I use it, because I believe that with Hydro, I'm trying to create the optimal environment for the plant, to get the best results possible.

Starting as close to zero (ppm) as possible makes it easier for me to make sure the plant is only being exposed to what it needs. Not extra metals and salts.

I have 3 systems up and running...

1: a 2' X 2' ebb and flow (10 gal rez) under it's own 400w hps. and is watered for 30min every 3 hours. (this timing was originally set only because the $4.99 mechanical timer i had could not be set for a shorter duration. But I've gotten such decent results, I haven't bothere3d changing... and the timer aint broke yet.)

I have 2 "drip" buckets that I made from 5 gal buckets sharing a 400w hps. I fill them with 2 gal of nuts. Watering is on the same timer as the lights. If the lights are on, it's dripping. Lights go off, so does the water.

I have 2 other 5gal drip buckets, that currently house 2 mothers. Same fill on them, but I'm rolling back the feeding to 30 minutes every 3 hours.

All plants are in a medium of Diatomite ("Fossil Rock"). High syllica content, good for the stems, and stabilizing PH.

Water comes from my r.o. system at exactly 7.0 ph, When nutes are added (house mix copy of General Hydro's Flora, and Micro. Never use the "Green" or Veg, all the same ingredients are in the micro and flora... and I don't veg that long.) PH is lowered to mid 4's, and I use PH up to bring it back to High 5's.

TMI i know... but I'm waken and baken now and thought i'd share...

Yes, this would be a good additive to enhance flowering. It can be diluted a little, and can be added as a foliar spray, and to your medium. I would not apply it anymore frequently than every 5 days, and I would avoid foliar spraying once bud density is obvious. Good tip! The coconut milk is sterile, does have potassium, and also fructose, the simplest of sugars.

I like using Distilled or filtered water. I've noticed a couple of times when I used just tap water the soils ph fluctuated a lot.

Tap water is fine - but only after letting it stand overnight with an airstone adding O2. That pretty completely removes all the chlorine and the O2 is great.

Distilled water is good for seeds - everything should be extra clean for the babies....

Germs aren't a concern in tap water. What the water company uses to kill germs (chlorine) is. Other dangers would be high levels of trace toxins like arsenic. There is an allowable ppm or ppb for these things, and water companies can exceed them.

Filtering with Brita or other methods doesn't create distilled water, but it can filter out the bad stuff as well as harmless (maybe beneficial) minerals.

Boiling water, on the other hand, can create distilled water if you capture the condensing steam.

Bottom line is that H20 is just the carrier to get nutrients and trace minerals to the plant.

Distilled water, $6.50 for a 5 gallon jug you will have to pay deposit of $6.50 also on first jug, but then you will be set. Alot of places will deliver for free.

I wish I could vote twice.

IMO - Tap water is fine as long as you let it sit out overnight or longer. Distilled water is good for someone who doesn't really wanna waste time with that.

I wish I could vote twice.

IMO - Tap water is fine as long as you let it sit out overnight or longer. Distilled water is good for someone who doesn't really wanna waste time with that.

thats all i water with is tap water that was left out overnight and i add the nutes and viola!

I use nothing but distilled water, don't want to have to deal with PH adjusting... Distilled is at 7ph and it will even go down a little after time, so it is always at the perfect ph for my plants.

Back
Top Bottom