Do we need pre flower flush?

DreamingTrees7

I just wanted to start a fresh topic about flushing bottle nutrient fed potted cannabis plants to prevent salt build up and nutrient toxicity.
Some people do some people don’t apparently, there are circumstances in which flushing would be harmful to the life in the soil like organic amended soil.
Doc buds high brix is what I’m referring to, soils like that should not be flushed.

I use happy frog soil and the fox farms trio. In my previous two grows I experienced nite burn and mag deficiency and nitrogen deficiency mid flower. That’s why I’m considering flushing.

Happy frog is a soil less mix like coco coir and what I’m reading about coco growing is that flushing between veg and flower helps wash away any salt buildup from nutrients.

Just looking for some fresh input possibly specific to my set up if anyone has a similar grow with similar experience.
Thanks in advance

Happy Frog contains: Aged forest products, peat moss, earthworm castings, bat guano, perlite, a few other ingredients as well as 14 different kinds of mycorrhizae. How is that a soil-less mixture?

I grow indoors in Sunshine mix(peat/perlite) and use GH nutes. I flush every week with full strength nutes, as nute requirements change with the grow cycle. Sunshine is treated like a hydroponic media. Soil is a completely different story. I don't grow in live soil in pots, so others will hopefully kick in.

I also grow in Sunshine mix and when switching to bloom nutes I usually water past run off real good just to rinse out the grow nutes and help with salt buildup. I always feed/water till runoff so I generally don't get too much buildup.

Happy Frog contains: Aged forest products, peat moss, earthworm castings, bat guano, perlite, a few other ingredients as well as 14 different kinds of mycorrhizae. How is that a soil-less mixture?
They say ocean forest is soil and happy frog is soil less, technically. Lol I don’t really get it either, it looks like soil, feels like soil, smells like soil.

I also grow in Sunshine mix and when switching to bloom nutes I usually water past run off real good just to rinse out the grow nutes and help with salt buildup. I always feed/water till runoff so I generally don't get too much buildup.
What make nutes?

They say ocean forest is soil and happy frog is soil less, technically. Lol I don’t really get it either, it looks like soil, feels like soil, smells like soil.

Who is this "they" you speak of? About the only difference I see people on this site say about the two, is that FFOF is a little "hotter" than FFHF. I have a bag of HF, and it says right on the front "potting soil". Heck, I have a bag of "top soil" from the local hardware store, that list three ingredients: Aged forest products, peat, and not more than 10% sand. The first two ingredients of HF are: Aged forest products and peat moss. I've also done research on super soil. The main ingredient in Subcool's super soil is Roots Organics potting soil. That stuff basically has the same first couple of ingredients as HF. Who really knows. :ganjamon:

I just wanted to start a fresh topic about flushing bottle nutrient fed potted cannabis plants to prevent salt build up and nutrient toxicity.
Some people do some people don’t apparently, there are circumstances in which flushing would be harmful to the life in the soil like organic amended soil.
Doc buds high brix is what I’m referring to, soils like that should not be flushed.

I use happy frog soil and the fox farms trio. In my previous two grows I experienced nite burn and mag deficiency and nitrogen deficiency mid flower. That’s why I’m considering flushing.

Happy frog is a soil less mix like coco coir and what I’m reading about coco growing is that flushing between veg and flower helps wash away any salt buildup from nutrients.

Just looking for some fresh input possibly specific to my set up if anyone has a similar grow with similar experience.
Thanks in advance
In an organic soil in an organic grow that does not use synthetic nutrients, nothing is building up in the soil to need to be flushed out. It isn't that a flush is going to harm the microlife, and while a flush does wash millions of the critters down the drain, enough remain in the soil to quickly multiply (some doubling every few minutes) to quickly repopulate the now clean soil. Flushing does not necessarily hurt your microlife , especially the fungi that form large structures in the soil and around the roots, that wont be washed away. In a nutrient system like Fox Farms, that calls for periodic flushing, they supply new microlife to your soil every time you apply Big Bloom, so they don't worry about a few microbes being flushed away.

Happy Frog is a soil... it is not soilless. It does have a lot of moss, but there is plenty of humus in there so that it can be considered soil. If you were pH adjusting into the hydro range thinking that you were not in soil, this will be the cause of many of your problems.
If you are using synthetic nutes, salts have to build up. If you used nutes in veg (many of us do not) then there is a need to flush out those salts before moving into flower. In some nute programs you are instructed to flush every 4 weeks to flush out the salt, and in most cases you can effectively flush before significantly changing the nutes such as between veg and flower.

Back
Top Bottom