Donpaul.p's Latest 400 Watt HPS Grow

Re: Donpaul.p's latest 400watt hps grow,

how long over the flowering time are we talking for banannas to appear, im just about 2 weeks past reccomended flowering time and hopeing to see some within 2 or three weeks so i can get another grow underway lol

seems like you can screw with the lighting and make her hermi if you dont have time till the end:)

good weed to you DP:)

Hi all,

i find bananas start to grow about a week to 2 weeks after all pistils have turned brown, the bananas grow out of the buds and not at the nodes, the grow out of the buds the same as the pistils do, the tend to grow on the lower buds and in shaded areas, i tend not to find them on the top buds they usually form on the lower buds, i guess it does this as these buds still have time to produce seeds.

as for making a plant go hermie i have used this method but it did not produce fem seeds, but when i did it i forced it to go hermie at the start of flower and not the end so maybe forcing hermie would produce fem seeds if it was done after the end of flowering, the source never mentioned forcing hermie to produce fem seeds it just mentioned the bananas due to going to long in flower. ill try and find the info i read and post a link,

i have also started some new plants, a new 2ltr dwc hempie which has not sprouted yet but its a critical sensi start fem
i also planted another 2 seeds in regular pots which sprouted yesterday, this was another sensi star and a sour diesel, these will have a good veg time but the 2ltr hempie will just get a couple of weeks before going 12-12,

ill try and find the info on the bananas now, ill post link here when i find it,

ok, heres the info, i cant post a link due to the site i got the info from, but if you want to see the original copy which i copy n paste this from then drop me a quick pm and ill send you the link, or google the growers name and you should find him easy enough, last thing i want is a telling off from the mods,
(THE TEXT IN BRACKETS IS WHAT I DID, SO I PUT IT IN CAPS SO YOU KNOW ITS ME SPEAKING AND NOT THE SOURCE OF THE INFO,)

Soma's version of making feminized seeds.
Creating feminized seeds is an art, there are a few different methods of application. I have written about some of my different methods of making seeds in previous HIGH TIMES articles. I have use gibberellic acid, light stress, ph stress, and fertilizer stress to force my plants to make seeds. All these methods are harsh on the plants, and some like the gibbrellic acid, are not organic. In my search for cleaner more earth-friendly ways of working with the cannabis plant, I have found a new way to make feminized seeds.

Feminized seeds occur as a result of stress, other than genetics. All cannabis plants can and will make male flowers under stress. Certain strains like a higher PH, some like a lower one. Some like a lot of food, some like a lot less. There is quite a lot of variety in marijuana genetics, and you can’t treat every plant the same way.

It takes many harvests before you really get to know a particular strain. Just like getting to know human friends, it takes time. I have grown strains for a decade and am truly getting to know every nuance the different plants exhibit. I can recognize them from a distance. I must say that I get a lot of help from my friends, both in making seeds and learning new and better ways of working with this sacred plant.

I named this new method “Rodelization” after a friend who helped me realize and make use of this way of creating female seeds. After growing crop after crop of the same plant in the same conditions, I noticed that if I flowered the plants 10-14 days longer than usual, they would develop male “bananas”. A male banana is a very slight male flower on a female marijuana plant that is formed because of stress. Usually they do not let out any pollen early enough to make seeds, but they sometimes do. They are a built in safety factor so in case of sever conditions, the plant can make sure that the species is furthered.

To me a male banana is quite a beautiful thing. It has the potential of making all female seeds. Many growers out there have male banana phobia. They see one and have heart palpitations, they want to cut down the entire crop or at least take tweezers and pluck the little yellow emerging devices out. I call them “Emergency Devices” because they emerge at times of stress.

In the Rodelization method, the male banana is very valuable. After growing your female plant 10-14 days longer than usual, hang them up to dry,(THIS IS NOW WHAT I DID, I LEFT BANANAS ON PLANT AND HARVESTED THEM AS THEY STARTED TO OPEN, I COLLECTED THEM IN A SMALL BAG AND LEFT TO DRY, I THEN BROKE THEM UP TO RELEASE POLLEN INSIDE THE BAG THEN BRUSHED THIS ONTO 3 FLOWERING PLANTS AT DIFFERENT BUD SITES, I DID NOT POLLENATE A WHOLE PLANT JUST 3 OR 4 BUDS PER PLANT, JUST REMEMBER ONE POLLEN SACK CAN POLLENATE A WHOLE GROW ROOM, SO DONT HAVE FANS BLOWING AND ITS BEST TO REMOVE FEM PLANT FROM FLOWER ROOM TO DO THIS, PUT POLLEN ON THE BUDS THEN WAIT COUPLE OF HOURS THEN SPRAY PLANT DOWN WITH WATER AND LEAVE TO DRY BEFORE PUTTING BACK IN FLOWER ROOM)... then carefully take them off the drying lines and inspect for bananas. Each and every banana should be removed and placed in a small bag labeled very accurately. These sealed bags can be placed in the fridge for one to two months and still remain potent. (AGAIN I HAVE NOT KEPT POLLEN IN A FRIDGE, REMOVING THE POLLEN FROM A FRIDGE TO A WARM ROOM WILL PRODUCE MOISTURE, ANY MOISTURE ON THE POLLEN WILL DESTROY IT, SO I DID NOT PUT MINE IN FRIDGE, I KEPT MINE IN DARK COOL CUPBOARD, POLLEN WAS STILL VIABLE SEVERAL WEEKS LATER, I JUST THINK PUTTING POLLEN IN A FRIDGE THEN BRINGING IT TO WARM ROOM WILL MAKE MOISTURE FORM DUE TO RISE IN TEMP, JUST THE SAME AS TAKING A DRINK OUT THE FRIDGE, I MAY BE WRONG BUT MY POLLEN SEEMED OK IF KEPT DARK,COOL AND DRY)

For the second phase you need to already have a crop that’s already 2 ½ weeks into flowering. Take your sealed bag of pollen out of the fridge, and proceed to impregnate your new crop of females. To do this, you must first match the female plant and the pollen from the same strain in the previous crop.(THE POLLEN WORKS ON ALL STRAINS, I PUT IT ON 3 TOTALLY DIFFERENT STRAINS AND IT WORKED OK, SO FAR ALL SEEDS HAVE BEEN FEM) Shut down all the fans in the grow room. Then take a very fine paint brush, dip it in the bag of pollen, and paint it on the female flower. Do this to each different strain you have growing together. I have done it with ten different kinds in the same room with great success.

I use the lower flowers to make seeds, leaving the top colas seedless for smoking. This method takes time(two crops), but is completely organic and lets you have great quality smoke at the same time you make your female seeds. If you’re one of those growers that has never grown seeds for fear of not having something good to smoke, you will love this method.

You can also use this pollen to make new female crosses by cross pollinating. The older females with the bananas can be brought into the room with the younger, un-pollinated females when they are three weeks into flowering. Turn all of the circulation fans on high, and the little bits of pollen will proceed to make it around the room. Do this for several days. Six to seven weeks later you will have ripe 100% female seeds; not nearly as many as a male plant would make, but enough to start over somewhere else with the same genetics.(ONLY DO THIS IF YOU WANT TO RISK TURNING ALL YOUR BUDS INTO SEED, I PREFER TO PICK A FEW BUD SITES AND STILL HAVE THE OTHER BUDS TO SMOKE, I GOT ANYTHING FROM 20 TO 50 SEEDS PER BUD,)

As a farmer who has been forced to move his genetics far away from where they started, I know very well the value of seeds. My friend Adam from THSeeds in Amsterdam has a motto that I love to borrow these days: “Drop seeds not bombs”.

its me again now,

so theirs the info i was sent to, have a read and put what you can into practice and let us know what results you get, so far they have all been fem for me,
hope that info helps, if you want the source then pm me and ill send you the link,

forcing a plant to go hermie late in flower might work but not something i have tried as i found the pollen from previous hermies did not produce fem seeds but the hermie i used was forced to hermie early in flower, so someone could try forcing hermie late in flower by shocking the plant with light during the dark period,

just remember not all plants will go hermie and not all plants will produce bananas, in theory if left long enough they should do but i cant say that 100% of plants do, the ones i used did and i just harvested my 2ltr dwc hempie due to this having bananas growing on the bottom buds, the buds where not getting much light and when i was inspecting the plant i found 2 bananas on one of the lower buds so harvested the plant as it was ready to harvest, so from my experience pretty much all plants will grow bananas but i have not grown hundreds of strains so would not put money on it without more testing been done,

thanks for the info DP. i got 1 ice cream, 1 white widow,1 purple kush, 1 sensi star and 1 jellybean plant about 3 weeks into flower, i hope the strawberryblue throws out some nanners soon to pollinate em all for some nice fem seeds

thanks Curso, good to see so many regular names from before, just trying to pass on as much as i can to help as many growers as possible, if it benefits me then i should share the info so it benefits others,

@tm420, i cant see you having problems, i have found pretty much all plants will grow bananas if left long enough, i didnt even notice them on the 2ltr dwc hempie i harvested, i was waiting for the buds to fatten up but it was a poor plant due to me giving it a reveg in a 2ltr dwc hempie, not something ill do again, its ok in soil or bigger dwc grows but did not work out to well in the 2ltr dwc hempie, the buds where small but plenty of them, so was waiting to fatten up but it didnt happen, all pistils turned brown so checked it and found bananas on lower buds that was not getting much light, the bananas was sort of under the bud so make sure you check all bud sites every couple of days, the bananas are only small, id say about 1cm max but tiny when they first show,

fingers crossed you will see them pretty soon, they grow out the bud the same as pistils do, so they dont grow at nodes they grow out of the buds themselves, let us all know how you get on, i have found bananas on several strains that i left to long, basically any plant that has gone past harvest for 2 weeks has grown bananas, stressing the plant with light might also produce bananas but it might make the resulting seeds more prone to hermie,

ill give them 4 weeks at the most to produce nanners if not the lot of em will be cut up and turned into hash, the buds are tiny and the lot of em are runts due to neglect but hopefully ill get some seeds out of it if not no biggie, got plenty of weed and another grow to get planned lol

i find 2 weeks later than normal usually produces bananas, their only tiny to start with and just look like tiny bananas, or just 1 banana, i cant see why you wouldnt be able to get them on your plant as all plants should have this backup feature, its their to ensure that plant reproduces, so as long as it gets no pollen from a male then it should produce its own pollen to ensure it reproduces,

i had a friend who harvested his window grown plant and he left it to dry in the dark, when we cut it down their was no signs of bananas, no signs of seeds, he had just one plant grown on a window sill, we left the whole plant to dry, we did not harvest the buds we just trimmed the fan leaves and hung the whole plant upside down, when we checked it 2 weeks later it had pretty much all turned to seed, now i must admit when he dried it he did not have it in a warm room it was just in a room that was pretty cool but had the plant hanging in a big cupboard so it was in total dark,

now as we didnt see any seeds or feel any seeds at harvest and never seen bananas or male flowers then this can only mean that the plant did not dry quick enough and it had enough moisture to grow male pollen and produce lots of seeds, we have both grown for a while and would of known if his plant had seeded or not, all i can think happened was the drying process did not happen quick enough and the plant got stressed due to it been in constant dark and forced male flowers to grow and pollenate itself, i think if the plant was dried a bit quicker then it might not of produced seeds,

so it might be possible to get female pollen after harvest but if you did harvest and didnt get pollen then it would mean you lost the chance with that plant, i think leaving the plant growing later than flower is about the best way to get female pollen,

im only going on my own experience and what i have read, i have produced seeds from hermie pollen which was a plant i stressed to force hermie by giving it random amounts of light during early flower, i collected the pollen and produced seeds, but i grew out a couple of the seeds and both plants turned hermie pretty much at the start of flower so ive not grown anymore of them seeds, got hundreds of them but so far all turn hermie pretty quick,

so when i read about this other method i gave it a try and so far i have had all fem seeds, i also have many regular seeds from my own crosses as well but these are regular seeds, i must have well over 2000 seeds in total of my own crosses, i know their not going to be totally stable but the resulting buds im getting are pretty amazing, the 2 fem seeds i got in late flower now are covered in trichs and the buds are solid, im concerned about pm issues due to this but the buds are rock hard so get fans blowing across the top of the plant to keep any mold at bay, so far my plants have turned out better than most of the seeds i have purchased,

so my plans are to get a stable strain out of the regular seeds i have made, ill look for the best female i can get out of the regular seeds and clone from it, then when one of the males grow ill check how quick it grows, how it looks, node spacing etc etc, then ill pollenate the fem clone, hopefully doing this will give me a more stable strain, i need to read up on back crossing and how all that works as its not something i know a lot about, but if i can get consistent results with my own strain then ill be very happy indeed, not that im moaning about the results im getting, their pretty good even if i do say so myself

i know i could get bigger buds if i did not lst my plants and just let them grow as normal, but i have a few plants growing under the same light so keeping the plants at same height means their getting the most light possible, if i had the room id grow just 2 plants and let them grow with no messing with them, no lst and just see the difference, im sure i can get much bigger buds if i didnt have many tops,

basically my plants end up looking like a scrog without the screen, pipe cleaners are great at training plants,

Hi all,

i find bananas start to grow about a week to 2 weeks after all pistils have turned brown, the bananas grow out of the buds and not at the nodes, the grow out of the buds the same as the pistils do, the tend to grow on the lower buds and in shaded areas, i tend not to find them on the top buds they usually form on the lower buds, i guess it does this as these buds still have time to produce seeds.

as for making a plant go hermie i have used this method but it did not produce fem seeds, but when i did it i forced it to go hermie at the start of flower and not the end so maybe forcing hermie would produce fem seeds if it was done after the end of flowering, the source never mentioned forcing hermie to produce fem seeds it just mentioned the bananas due to going to long in flower. ill try and find the info i read and post a link,

i have also started some new plants, a new 2ltr dwc hempie which has not sprouted yet but its a critical sensi start fem
i also planted another 2 seeds in regular pots which sprouted yesterday, this was another sensi star and a sour diesel, these will have a good veg time but the 2ltr hempie will just get a couple of weeks before going 12-12,

ill try and find the info on the bananas now, ill post link here when i find it,

This is a shot of a nanner in a Sleeskunk bud just prior to harvesting.

ss_fin21.jpg

cool, i know i type to much but its only because i can type quicker than i can speak, so in my head it dont sound like much but when i look at what i have typed its turned into a long essay,

nice pic kushmeister, their not the sleestack cross skunk herbies was giving away is it, i got a few just sprouted at the minute, got lots of them from from herbies so thought id try growing some this time round so just sprouted a couple, not femenised so sprouted 2 so hopefully 1 will be fem,
i think most will grow bananas but we always harvest them before the thc degrades so the bananas dont get chance to grow, but they can still grow even after harvest,

im pretty sure all plants will grow male bananas, their very hard to spot at first and just look like a little yellow cats claw sticking out the middle of the bud, but when you see one you will know exactly that its a female banana, their bright yellow just like banana, id say the size is not far off a small cats claw,

when i harvest my next plant ill leave a few buds on the plant and try and light stress it and see if that produces bananas a bit quicker, but the last time i did this i stressed the plant early in flower and it never produced bananas it produced regular male flowers at the nodes, i used this pollen for seed making but out of 2 plants i grew both went hermie early in flower, so gave up on stressing the plants like that, but im wonder if you stress the plants after harvest will they produce these bananas a bit quicker and more of them,

you wont get many bananas so their hard to spot, but once you see them you will have the pollen you need to make fem seeds,

finally i found some pics, i hope they show up, these show them in more detail
click on this link, its a journal on this site with good pics of what bananas your looking for
Hermaphrodite Banana shows up 53 days into flowering, 93x close up images

What2.JPG

female_hermaphrodite.jpg

KmeIZU5YxIaQiQWynCVahjzvaJVAdmsJmuKz_RXYR0aXK2Btng.jpg

hope that helps

cool, i know i type to much but its only because i can type quicker than i can speak, so in my head it dont sound like much but when i look at what i have typed its turned into a long essay,

nice pic kushmeister, their not the sleestack cross skunk herbies was giving away is it, i got a few just sprouted at the minute, got lots of them from from herbies so thought id try growing some this time round so just sprouted a couple, not femenised so sprouted 2 so hopefully 1 will be fem,
i think most will grow bananas but we always harvest them before the thc degrades so the bananas dont get chance to grow, but they can still grow even after harvest,

im pretty sure all plants will grow male bananas, their very hard to spot at first and just look like a little yellow cats claw sticking out the middle of the bud, but when you see one you will know exactly that its a female banana, their bright yellow just like banana, id say the size is not far off a small cats claw,

when i harvest my next plant ill leave a few buds on the plant and try and light stress it and see if that produces bananas a bit quicker, but the last time i did this i stressed the plant early in flower and it never produced bananas it produced regular male flowers at the nodes, i used this pollen for seed making but out of 2 plants i grew both went hermie early in flower, so gave up on stressing the plants like that, but im wonder if you stress the plants after harvest will they produce these bananas a bit quicker and more of them,

you wont get many bananas so their hard to spot, but once you see them you will have the pollen you need to make fem seeds,

finally i found some pics, i hope they show up, these show them in more detail
click on this link, its a journal on this site with good pics of what bananas your looking for
Hermaphrodite Banana shows up 53 days into flowering, 93x close up images

What2.JPG

female_hermaphrodite.jpg

KmeIZU5YxIaQiQWynCVahjzvaJVAdmsJmuKz_RXYR0aXK2Btng.jpg

hope that helps

I'm not positive the Sleestack x Skunk seeds were from Herbies, though I suspect they were. I "inherited" them from someone who's other half said no way.

You pics are way better than mine. :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom