DrZiggy's Low And Slow Drying: Maximizing Your Harvest

Check this out.
\

Looks very cool. A bit pricey but may be worth it if it works well.

This is what I do. About five years now - shortly after this thread started. I have a non auto defrost mini fridge. I keep temp and hum between 40º-45%. Really dependent on the amount of bags (I use small lunch bags with 14-28g wet bud in each - AND on wiping out the water that accumulates in the freezer drip pan). Someone mentioned taking 2-3 weeks, this is true for me. I check rh at 10 and 14 days in a mason jar with a hygrometer lid. If the buds are around 65% they go in qt jars. I burp as follows: 10min 3x/day for 3 days, 10min 2x/day for 3 days, 30min once/day for 3 days. If rh is still to high I use the rice ball method. Once they stabilize around 60-65% in goes a Boveda. I check rh weekly for three weeks and burp if needed. I probably burb more than the average - just to be safe.

I have had the "grassy" smell, but find it dissipates after curing for a while. In general, lo n slo produces buds that are colorful and have a great aroma.

I'm thinking I need to burp more often and for longer periods. In an environment that is cool (around 70˚F) and not too dry. Still warm here.

What size paper bags do you use?
How much bud per bag?
Not sure and less bud in the bag is always more.

If I had your fridge I’d clear all the drink out while I’m drying, that’s just me.
Sounds like you pulled yours out of the bag and in a jar it was 61-63%. Did you burp or was the grassiness already gone?
So I’m not bud washing. Well not not, I’m basing my wash need on their level of clean. Atm I have no nits and they literally get washed and rinsed with Eco/Safers twice a week. I just don’t see the point in washing. My Wookie certainly appreciated this choice. I am not burping because they are at my desired humidity.

It’s taken me 5+ drys to find my groove. It’s not something you can do once and become an expert at. Well I don’t think it is.

For me it’s the most controlled way to dry.
Appreciate your advice. Angel flatulence has me quite intrigued.
Angel bottom burps smell like flowers and citrus 🌼🧡🍊

Not sure and less bud in the bag is always more.

If I had your fridge I’d clear all the drink out while I’m drying, that’s just me.

So I’m not bud washing. Well not not, I’m basing my wash need on their level of clean. Atm I have no nits and they literally get washed and rinsed with Eco/Safers twice a week. I just don’t see the point in washing. My Wookie certainly appreciated this choice. I am not burping because they are at my desired humidity.

It’s taken me 5+ drys to find my groove. It’s not something you can do once and become an expert at. Well I don’t think it is.

For me it’s the most controlled way to dry.

Angel bottom burps smell like flowers and citrus 🌼🧡🍊
Thanks Tra!
I’m close to finding that sweet spot!

Hey Mike, long time no see! I still link folks to your QWISO test results.
:thanks:
Hey InTheShed! How are ya? Every since I "moved" to the Basement, I haven't been around 420 to much. FWIW, I abandoned the QWISO method and strictly use QWET with 190 or 200 proof food grade Ethanol. Couldn't quite get totally rid of the ISO. Taste was crap!

Invested in a Source Turbo - SOURCE Turbo Concentrate Extractor | ExtractCraft - familiar with it? Basically a distiller that recovers upwards o 90% of the Alcohol, so a gallon goes a long way.

Thanks for the plug!

Hey InTheShed! How are ya? Every since I "moved" to the Basement, I haven't been around 420 to much. FWIW, I abandoned the QWISO method and strictly use QWET with 190 or 200 proof food grade Ethanol. Couldn't quite get totally rid of the ISO. Taste was crap!

Invested in a Source Turbo - SOURCE Turbo Concentrate Extractor | ExtractCraft - familiar with it? Basically a distiller that recovers upwards o 90% of the Alcohol, so a gallon goes a long way.

Thanks for the plug!
Looks like a nifty piece of equipment if you have the cash in hand!

I'd go for the 190 proof as a lot of the 200 proof stuff has methanol in it as well.

i am about to try this for the second time in a few weeks. this method really saved me because seasonal changes can easily fry the weed in a few days ironically right around harvest time (43.5n ontario) when the humidity drops

i use a frost free mini fridge on the lowest (warmest setting, 9-12c) and turkey bags. just trim the plants into the bags and put an inkbird in one of the bags, keeping them half-opened and about 8 wet ounces in each

the turkey bags are spacious and conforming and are good for fluffing the buds

some strains go 3 or more weeks some a few days less. humidity in the bags during the dry is anywhere from high 70's to mid 90's

i keep checking the inkbird and when it gets to low 70's (with the turkey bag sealed for an hour) i jar and store in the big fridge. i can start smoking at two to three weeks from chop though

so the weed goes from the plant into a fridge indefinitely and it stays moist which is how i like it
2022-05-02_fridge_all.JPG

i am about to try this for the second time in a few weeks. this method really saved me because seasonal changes can easily fry the weed in a few days ironically right around harvest time (43.5n ontario) when the humidity drops

i use a frost free mini fridge on the lowest (warmest setting, 9-12c) and turkey bags. just trim the plants into the bags and put an inkbird in one of the bags, keeping them half-opened and about 8 wet ounces in each

the turkey bags are spacious and conforming and are good for fluffing the buds

some strains go 3 or more weeks some a few days less. humidity in the bags during the dry is anywhere from high 70's to mid 90's

i keep checking the inkbird and when it gets to low 70's (with the turkey bag sealed for an hour) i jar and store in the big fridge. i can start smoking at two to three weeks from chop though

so the weed goes from the plant into a fridge indefinitely and it stays moist which is how i like it
That is awesome!
Do you burp jars?

Hi. I’m currently trying the low and slow method in the fridge. Temps stay between 40-50f & humidity between 20-40%.

Could this work or am I likely to encounter problems?

Thanks in advance :)
Ideal temperature inside fridge would be around 38-43f. Humidity may be high at first and that is ok. Place paper bags in main compartment - not in the vegetable bin as that gets way too humid.

Ideal temperature inside fridge would be around 38-43f. Humidity may be high at first and that is ok. Place paper bags in main compartment - not in the vegetable bin as that gets way too humid.
Thanks buddy. I have it in jars atm. About 10 days in. Was in paper bag for a few days prior. Is 20-40% RH considered high then? I will adjust the thermostat accordingly now to get below 43f
Thanks again

I have much more to come home and I’d really love to dry my weed this way if I can get it down. It seems more efficient in every way. Been lurking on this thread for a while now, will almost definitely have more questions going forward lol

I read this article and like the idea, makes perfect sense
Got it totally wrong first time because I put it in the fridge too soon and somehow got condensation
Next time, I lined a plastic box with paper and spread it out on that
Every couple of days, change the damp paper and if it's still too wet after three days, rest it on a lamp so it gets a few degrees above room temp and then let it cool
Once it steadies [about 4 weeks-ish] at about 55-60% RH I jar it, room temp and burp it every few days
That's how it works best for me
:ganjamon:

I read this article and like the idea, makes perfect sense
Got it totally wrong first time because I put it in the fridge too soon and somehow got condensation
Next time, I lined a plastic box with paper and spread it out on that
Every couple of days, change the damp paper and if it's still to wet after three days, rest it on a lamp so it gets a few degrees above room temp and let it cool
Once it steadies [about 4 weeks-ish] at about 55-60% RH I jar it, room temp and burp it every few days
That's how it works best for me
:ganjamon:
I think the paper bags have worked to remove that initial wetness in my case. I haven’t encountered mould yet anyways, hopefully it’s not to come!
Do you worry about the fridge RH much? Mine seems a little low to me at 20/30% normally. Does the RH matter a whole lot?

I think the paper bags have worked to remove that initial wetness in my case. I haven’t encountered mould yet anyways, hopefully it’s not to come!
Do you worry about the fridge RH much? Mine seems a little low to me at 20/30% normally. Does the RH matter a whole lot?
No, I don't worry - if I didn't have my crappy Zon gadget I wouldn't even know anyway
I don't care much what it says either, it's ready when I say so :cool:

No, I don't worry - if I didn't have my crappy Zon gadget I wouldn't even know anyway
I don't care much what it says either, it's ready when I say so :cool:
That gives me some confidence mate. Im definitely going to be attempting to Low n Slow my remaining harvest. My temps are below 43f now. Won’t overly worry about it and will try to leave it alone to do it’s thing. Cheers for that

Don't worry so much about the RH% inside the fridge. It will fluctuate as it removes moisture from the buds. After a day or two it should be below 50%. Keep the temps below 45˚F.
Low and Slow.

Back
Top Bottom