DrZiggy's Low And Slow Drying: Maximizing Your Harvest

I have silk over the openings Joe. You want that moisture to have a way out.

Would cheese cloth work ? With elastic band .

I have silk over the openings Joe. You want that moisture to have a way out.

Also sue I would be more then honoured and blessed if you would like to watch the last few weeks of my early miss auto out door grow. Here is a link if that's cool to post sorry if not...

Would cheese cloth work ?

Silk would be far more likely to keep dust, cat hair, and tiny insects out because it is far more tightly woven than cheesecloth. OtOH, the evaporative process might be slower, for the same reason.

I read... back around '78, '79, somewhere around that time that the USN (or one of the multitude of contractors that live off the military like fleas on a dog) was working on some kind of membrane that would be one-way water-permeable. Something like that would be awesome for this application, IMO. But I don't know if it ever happened or, if it did, if the product ever hit the commercial marketplace.

Silk would be far more likely to keep dust, cat hair, and tiny insects out because it is far more tightly woven than cheesecloth. OtOH, the evaporative process might be slower, for the same reason.

I read... back around '78, '79, somewhere around that time that the USN (or one of the multitude of contractors that live off the military like fleas on a dog) was working on some kind of membrane that would be one-way water-permeable. Something like that would be awesome for this application, IMO. But I don't know if it ever happened or, if it did, if the product ever hit the commercial marketplace.

Okay will look into silk probably local Michaels here in Ontario like a fabric land ..

I am officially a little confused - I am all in for experimentation and always willing to take risks in the name of science - I used to be an actual scientist before I had a horrible work accident and became a chronic pain patient instead. I worked in the field "natural-sciences" for decades. So I am of course officially interested in this drying method. But I am not 100% certain I understand what the method is.

Could someone please describe the method for me? I see photos of glass jars filled with water inside a fridge? Then I see people talking about 4 or 8 hours - That's not very slow - is it? What's going on here?
I agree, DeVille ?? But I'm subbed, always ready to learn !!

Can I use reg. molasses or do I use garden versions.

Got a health food store in your locale? If so, go in and take a look at organic blackstrap molasses.

Blackstrap molasses is the dark, viscous molasses that remains after maximum extraction of sugar from raw sugar cane. It has the consistency of a thick syrup, as the third boiling of sugar syrup yields blackstrap molasses. This concentrated byproduct is left over after the sugar's sucrose has been crystallized.

It shouldn't have anything harmful in it.

I am all in for experimentation and always willing to take risks in the name of science - I used to be an actual scientist before I had a horrible work accident and became a chronic pain patient instead. I worked in the field "natural-sciences" for decades.

Do you have a home laboratory in your basement? I always wanted one. And a hunchback named Igor that I could shout at.

"IGOR!!!"

"Yes, master?"

"Grab the shovel, we're going out."

"Wonderful, master. Are we getting the brain, tonight? Oh, please? Brains. Brains."

TS, I'd been thinking about the silk, and the possibility that it mit not be porous enough. Do you think I'd be better off with cheesecloth?

TS, I'd been thinking about the silk, and the possibility that it mit not be porous enough. Do you think I'd be better off with cheesecloth?

Maybe something in between? Pantyhose? IDK. You keep a clean domicile and don't have any pets, AfaIK, so cheesecloth would probably be fine. Remember, I am just a visitor to this thread at this point, not an active participant.

I just found myself wondering if some kind of glass tube - maybe the old "Bake A Round" devices from the 1970s - would be better than a jar. You could cover both ends with some kind of debris-blocker and then direct a gentle breeze through it to help actively remove the dampness. Thoughts?

Just wanted to tip the low'n'slo gang about this lid mod being sold on amazon and ebay. I also see that round hygrometers are quite cheap, both analog and digital ones. So this is a jar-mod you can easily do yourself. If you want a DIY project for you curing - here's the solution to that
lownslo.jpg

Haha read back few comments ago bud just asked the same thing.

Just wanted to tip the low'n'slo gang about this lid mod being sold on amazon and ebay. I also see that round hygrometers are quite cheap, both analog and digital ones. So this is a jar-mod you can easily do yourself. If you want a DIY project for you curing - here's the solution to that
lownslo.jpg

Ty for sharing

Just wanted to tip the low'n'slo gang about this lid mod being sold on amazon and ebay.

Interesting looking product. I wonder if anyone has tried to use one of those in a pressure canner, lol.

As an off-topic aside... The fight still has a long way to go, but "the times, they are a changin'." There were all kinds of curing/storage/etc. products shown on the page. I assume the customer base is a mixture of those with legal "medical" grows, legal "recreational" grows... and the traditional "just quietly growing" grows.

Back
Top Bottom