EZ cloner won't work: pics

teamgilly

this is my third attempt at using this 60 site EZ cloner. the first two times my stems turned to mush. After doing alot of research i decided to just use stright Ph water with no nute in it. I have phed the water to 5.6, the room temp is around 75 and for the most part the water temp is around 72 degrees but got as high as 75 degrees. its been 11 days and still no roots whatsoever. the only redeming factor is that the steems dont have any slime on them and they are not wilted. i have however had to further trim back the leaves becase the edges were showing damage. the resuvour looks clear.

Will these Clones finally root?
what am i doing wrong?
any sugestions?
should i start over?
ezcloner_2_.JPG
ezcloner.JPG
ezcloner_3_.JPG
ezcloner_4_.JPG

I'd flush your cloner with H2O2 diluted in the water, then put new pH 6 water in it and add Hormex at the recommended dosage per gallon (2ml per gallon). It would also help if you soaked the bases of your cuttings in pure Hormex for 1min. before you put them into your cloner. Do not soak them directly in the bottle or put solution back into the bottle as not to risk contamination. Pour some hormex into a shotglass or something, soak stems there, and then use that solution for diluting into your cloner. Throw out exess. You might also want to invest in an anti-fungal/bacterial agent for your cloner.

Also, I would recommend leaving as many leaves as possible on your cuttings. Each one is a Photosynthesis Factory. When you only have a couple leaves on your cuttings think about how long it'll take for them to make roots vs. a fully leaved cutting.

1st problem I see is that your spray bar is misaligned and most wont root because they need constant spray pattern
2nd the neoprene collars are haphazardly upside down...
3rd make sure the water level is 1/2" over the top of the mag pump
dont trim your leaves..EZ cloners dont need that
the temp is fine.
water is fine...weak nutes is mo better..600-700 ppm
when set up properly you will have mad roots in 7 days...sometimes sooner.
Ive seen lil white dots in 25 hrs. nubs in 48...small roots at 72..etc
we have various secret sauces on nute mixs that we all use on some level

GOT ROOT?
014146.JPG

thank you orange blood and especially Pit Viper

this is awesome feedback i can fix the spray bar i can see how not all of the cutting might not get wet. this is not the primary problem of course. i had no idea that the neoprene collars were upside down i am just going to buy new ones and make sure they are correct. how do you think this affected the cuttings? R u saying that i have to much water in the res? what kind of nutes should i use? i have clonex but last time i know i used to much. lastly i was under the impression that i should cut most of the leafs. i will try this time and leave them one. i hope it makes a difference. i have nothing growing right now becase of three clone falures in a row. right now i have some in rockwool the old fashon way.

thanks again guys
whats the secret sauce mix?

:thanks:

Did you properly prepare your cuttings???

I like to scrape the sides of my stems to expose the underlayer and to split the stem about 1/2 inch. From the photo, it appears you just cut some of the stems at 45 and put them in the cloner...

Also I wouldnt go recutting them... let them sit - I have a couple of strains now and they are all lil different... for instance... one strain that I clone is slow and takes 10-12 days before it shows anything... and the stem (where is scraped and cut) turns yellowish-woodish pale and ugly and looks mushy before it starts to root... and I have another strain that just seems to be fast as lightning and the roots just seem to appear.

Perhaps a rooting agent like Clone-X, Dip-N-Gro, etc. will help.

First question. You mentioned "nutes". Care to elaborate? I use tap water (200-230 ppm) and 1.1 ml H&G Root Excellerator. Final ppm under 300. Truth be told, tap water with at least 200ppm will work fine, the mild H&G just saves a few days.
Opinion. Rooting a clone is a very traumatic event for any cutting. Traumatic enough to try and not add insult to injury. By cutting the water leaves at a time when survival is difficult enough in and of itself adds yet another shock factor for your little ladies to contend with. Those leaves store needed nutes and will in effect delay the whole process of rooting by cutting them.

I sure would be curious to know the strength of nutes in your reservoir. I do agree with a previous poster about taking the time to adjust all the sprayers for a more even pattern, but if nothing roots I'd have to say your problem is elsewhere. If conditions are right (WEAK solution, stable reservoir temps, WEAK lighting), then your EZ Cloner should be popping roots at least within 10-14 days. I would also make sure the final cut is done on the clone with a sterile razor at about a 2:00 o'clock angle and dip each clone in a rooting compound before making the trip to the cloner.

I look forward in hearing what you find out. :thumb:

Make sure you're machine is cleaned properly before attempts
Use a timer and have the pump 15 minutes on 15 minutes off
Don't cut the leafs like you're doing. any leaf material you do leave, leave them intact.
Don't use any hormones
Take cuts from healthy plants in veg

I strongly disagree...never turn the pump off. certain failure

You use a different cloner campare apples to apples that may work for your cloner but not for the EZ cloner.
roots7.jpg

cloner1.jpg

ok_no_more_root_pictures.jpg

14_days_clones_0011.jpg

we are giving advice on the equipment asked not what others prefer if you would like the nute mix for the cloner we will be more then happy to pm it to you.

turning anything on an off adds more wear on parts, same as starting an engine.... get your facts straight dude. the pump needs to come up to speed everytime you start it. more energy is used to start a pump then to keep it running.and ill say it again your wrong.so lets add more part such as a timer ,that can go bad. more parts more wear greater chance of failure......BTW This is from ezcloners web site argue with them they made the equipment......would you like the web site?

Helpful tips:
Cleanliness is imperative.
To avoid bacteria build
up, it is recommended
to clean the system
thoroughly before
starting a new cloning
cycle. An anti-pathogen
formula can also be used to help fight bacteria. If you are
experiencing a bacteria problem the most common sign is
a grey slime, forming on the bottom of the cuttings.
Water pump and air pump should remain running
continuously, 24/7.
Our system is designed specifi cally for the cloning process.
It is not recommended for the adult stages of growth.
Do not use distilled water in the EZ-CLONE, it will delay
progress.
Room temperature must be controlled!
We advise against allowing roots to grow too long in
EZ-CLONE as this does not favour effective transplanting.
Clones can be transplanted into soil or into hydro systems
when roots first appear and are short and thick.
Perform a full tank change every 7–10 days while system is
in use.
ALWAYS keep everything CLEAN.
Designed by professionals ... fine-tuned by experience...thats me

Gentleman, please! I too am a bit baffled by problems with cuttings.
Many somewhat different styles work, but a close look would reveal that the basics are covered for success. I use big-city tap water with KLN.
Cannabis is a strong-growing cultivar, asking little more than an excuse to grow. All normal horticultural techniques work well. Problems are generally fundemental. Like machine configuration ;)

Writing one's name large in the snow isn't what makes your garden grow. :peace:

:bravo: :focus: We all have our opinions on what works or not... Hopefully people are not only researching questions but also the people answering them... I would choose that of experience.. I run mine 24/7, smooth as can be...
:peace:

Lets keep it constructive......

you right its not rocket science just explaining the quirks with that brand of cloner.
1. pump need to be center as water level goes down one side of the cloner will recieve less water.hence drying that side.
2 inserts have a flat waterproof side the other side has an 1/8 of an inch opening that roots and rot sometimes grow because of water transfers into the insert.sometime mold will build ontop.
3 raise the water level 1/2 to 1 inch above the mag drive pump increases spay volume by atleast 30% ensuring full rapid root growth.giving all clones even spray.
4 all spray nozzles must be aligned to ensure full directional coverage.

the reason most other cloners need to be cycled is the pumps get too hot an raise water temps. botanacare is notorius and some DIY aero cloners have the same problem.but with an ezclone they run 24/7 because they maintain low temps.this post is based on a 60 site ezclone

IMO, the pump should not be ran 24/7 because the roots will search for water with the pumps off. Leaving them on 24/7 will prevent that from happening (although I do know it will work). I ran 3 1/2 hours on and 30 minutes off and I had my clones root and planted in soil in 5-8 days. I have also only used my cloner once so I have not been able to test out different theories. Also remember, what works for 1 person might not work for another, any good grower should know this.

I do know this is one of those topics, you ask 10 different people about pump on and off times, you will get 10 different answers. I found that out when I first started my cloner. I have heard that the EZ cloner pump will heat up the water too much if ran 24/7, but that would also depend on your grow area conditions, I am sure. After I heard this from a few different people, I spent about $100 and made my own cloner.

Here is what less then $100 can get you, can jump up $50 to make a 150 site if you wanted. This is a 35 site.
DSCN02152.jpg

DSCN0216.jpg

I had no problems with overheating water or rooting. I know ConqueringLOJ has the same cloner (I got the idea from him) and he ran his pump 24/7 and my cloner rooted clones a few days quicker. We started with the same pH and both used no nutes. Both of us have only cloned a few times, used the same rooting hormone and cut our clones similar.

P.S. The wilting clones in the above pic is because I didn't have my pump on enough for the 1st 2 days. I forgot about this and my clones still rooted 5-8 days.

lotz......30 min out of every 4 hours is still almost 24 hours.I still turn mine off to check ppm and nutes everyday.just not long periods of time.the first 2 days are the most important that will make or break you.

Well Pit, you are right I am running my pump almost 24/7 but it isn't 24/7. I am even plannng on running my pump less next round. Like I had said, I hav only used my cloner once so I am trying to dial in the spray times. As far as the first day or 2 will make you or break you I would have to disagree but agree to some extent. The first 2 days I had my cloner running, I found my clones were getting sprayed only 8 hours over 2 days. I had caught it and adjust my timer and things worked great for me. From what I have seen, it takes at least 3-4 days to ruin a clone.

Japanfreak .....your right there can be a number of thing wrong havent seen his lighting yet.we use a 250 wat floro the go to 430watt.maybe the clones arent prept properly.to me 5.6 ph is low we go 6.0 to 6.5.also cloning solution we use vitagrow ,it can root an old tire.AKA wood.we also use nutes H&G but that wont matter till they have small root.all the nute come from the leaf matter left on the plant.

Sorry to resurrect this old thread but I'm having problems with my ez cloner 30 .

Once i get a nice root mass i remove the clone then place them in a red solo beer cup filled with fox farm ocean forest soil water them and without fail within a hour they start to wilt and die?

So i thought maybe if i added a clear solo beer cup on top for a humidity dome maybe this will keep the clones healthy until they get established in the beer cup so far they look horrible.

Water ph is 6.1 out of the tap clones go under a t-5 fixture about a foot away once they are in soil.

Back
Top Bottom