Fib's First Grow - Soil NL x Dutch Treat

fibbity

Hi everyone, so this is my first post along with my first grow. Been reading a lot about growing and checking out journals and I thought I would give it a shot. I bought these seeds from a local seed bank in May and germinated 3 of them in the second week of June. I don't have a camera so picture updates may be sporadic but whenever I can borrow my friend's I'll get some up.

What strain is it? Northern Lights x Dutch Treat
Is it Indica, Sativa or Hybrid? What percentages? mostly indica not sure about percentages
Is it in Veg or Flower stage? veg ~32 days from seed
If in Veg... For how long? probably another 2 weeks
Indoor or outdoor? indoor
Soil or Hydro? soil
If soil... what is in your mix? Sea Soil with added worm castings, perlite, peat
If soil... What size pot? 4-5 gallon grow bags
Size of light? 400 MH/HPS
Is it aircooled? no
Temp of Room/cab? mid 70's with the the cfl's, not sure yet with the mh
RH of Room/cab? anywhere from 40% to 90% depending on when I watered, a little bit worried about this for flowering
PH of media or res? I've been using colour drops for testing pH since I can't really afford a proper tester, but I believe the pH is somewhere around 6.0
Any Pests ? not yet
How often are you watering? every 3 - 4 days
Type and strength of ferts used? following this What is Lucas Formula, and how do I use it? with GH Flora Bloom and Flora Micro

My grow room is basically a sectioned-off shelf in a crawlspace, and there are a couple vents on the other side of the room bringing in air from outside.

I've been using cfl's on a 20/4 schedule until today where I switched to a 400 watt mh, it definitely puts out quite a bit more heat so I'm going to buy a fan tomorrow. I've been feeding half strength nutes and will probably switch to 3/4 or full strength in the next week or so.

I was planning on vegging for at least another couple weeks but I'm not sure because I only have ~4 feet of vertical space and that's including my lights. I probably should do some LST but unfortunately I used these stupid grow bags since I couldn't find any proper sized pots around.

Anyway I've already learned a lot but any advice or input would be really appreciated, thanks everyone! :)

so these didn't turn out as well as I'd hoped but I'll try to get some better ones next time.
here's a group shot at 32 days from germ
group127.JPG

here's a close up of the one on the left, this one has the biggest fan leaves and I've spotted some female preflowers on her 4th node.
twisty.JPG

heres the one on the right, it has really broad leaves that look kind of crinkled for some reason
bushy16.JPG

the one in the back I didn't get a good picture of but its kina gimpy anyway.

I've noticed a lot of the tips of the leaves are curling over but I can't find a solid answer on what the problem is. Here's the best photo I could get, any ideas what it could be?
curlytips.JPG

yea I'm not sure, I got a fan in there today it lowered the temps a bit. Guess I'll see if that helps in the next few days.

Hey fibs you leaves are turning cause it too warm! Lower you temps my man and make sure there not overwatered! They look amazing so far! Nice work! A ph tester at depot or lowes is 10 bux! Go buy it now! F-the drops! Otherwise nice work! Ill be watching if you dont mind!

cool thanks for watching :) What kind of ph tester is $10? I definitely can't find a digital one for under $70 or $80.

So thanks to someone on these forums I think I figured out the problem. During my first few feeds I had a really low pH and I think that's what causing the really curly tips. It makes more sense than too much heat cause my temps aren't really that high. He suggested to flush with 6.5 pH water so I'm gonna do that tonight or tomorrow. Hopefully that will fix it. Will get some more pictures up tomorrow as well.

Day 35:
Got some more pictures, didn't have time to do the flush tonight, will tomorrow morning. Dunno if it's just me but they haven't grown much in the last couple days, wonder if this low soil pH can slow growth. The main stem anyway hasn't grown much maybe the plant is putting more energy into the new little branches and I just haven't noticed cause they so small.

If this flush fixes the pH claw tips I plan on doing 1 more feed of nutes to see how they respond then switch to flower.

here's a few of the left plant, this plant also has roots coming out of the bottom of the 5 gallon bag already even though I only transplanted a week ago. Little worried because last time they almost completely stopped growing when they got root bound.
IMG_11455.JPG

IMG_114611.JPG

you can see some heat stress on the new growth here, had the light too low so I raised it and now have the fan blowing air right on the plants now.
IMG_11577.JPG

here's one of the plant on the right
IMG_11497.JPG

here's one of both of them, it's hard to get a picture of the one in the back but it's a runt anyway hasn't grown at all lately not sure why.
IMG_11558.JPG

I flushed the plants with about a gallon of ~6.5 pH water yesterday and the runoff was realllllllly low, it looked like somewhere between 4 and 5. Also noticed the first node of true leaves right above the cotyledons were looking pretty awful, one had some brown spotting and one had this black necrosis spot. I just cut the leaves off but I hope it doesn't continue upwards.

Today I added some dolomite lime to the top couple inches of the soil. I'm afraid to feed any nutes cause I think the plants won't be able to absorb anything and the salts will just build up.

I also topped the runty plant, FIM'd the bushy plant on the right, and started LST on the only plant I know to be female. I switched lighting from 20/4 to 18/6, I'm gonna flower when/if I can get this pH thing figured out.

Will try to get some pictures tonight.

Hmm any thoughts on transplanting during flower? I've read kind of mixed opinions on it so far, some people say as long as you don't disturb the roots and you do it early in flowering it isn't a problem. I'm asking because I'm tempted to flower but I've only sexed one of the 3 plants. I hate these grow bags and want to get the females in pots but I don't really have room for 3 large pots and I think at least one of the 2 unsexed are male.

Figured it was time for an update. I've been flowering for 5 days now, and turns out 2 out of the 3 were girls. The one that was male I pulled yesterday wasn't growing anyway for some reason so I'm not too disappointed.
It's hard to get good pictures because of how my room is setup but here's what I got.

Here's the plant I knew was female before flowering, I referred to it earlier as the left plant.
IMG_11637.JPG

This is the same plant's stem with my attempt at a little LST
IMG_11657.JPG

IMG_116611.JPG

IMG_117310.JPG

here's the right plant, I attempted to FIM this girl but it clearly didn't work as you can see lol. Also LST'd a bit.
IMG_11786.JPG

IMG_11725.JPG

Both together
IMG_11647.JPG

Hi, more pictures for my huge crowd lol. This is now day 10 of flowering, and they have been stretching a lot. They are getting hairier but don't see any flower-like things yet. Not that you can see from these shitty pics anyway, but next time I water I'll get better ones cause I have to move them for that anyway.
IMG_11908.JPG

IMG_118912.JPG

IMG_11816.JPG

IMG_11878.JPG

IMG_11849.JPG

IMG_11856.JPG

IMG_11806.JPG

Hi all, so it's day 26 of flowering and I finally got some more pictures. I went on vacation last week and had some major issues when I returned. Before I left I raised the light as far as I could and asked a friend to water once for me, but when I returned the main colas of both plants had basically grown right into the light. The main cola on the left plant was screwed, but the right plant wasn't so bad and it has made a bit of a recovery since I tied both the main colas down. I trimmed the burned leaves but didn't know what to do with the burned flowers so I just left them, maybe the lower flowers on the branch can keep growing.

You can't really see the burned stuff in the pictures but anyway, here they are. If anyone has any suggestions on what to do with the burned stuff I'd really appreciate it, looking at other journals I find it hard to compare how my girls are doing overall for nearly 4 weeks into flower.

IMG_12157.JPG

here's one of the burned flowers, this isn't one of the main colas just another branch that grew into the light :(
IMG_12168.JPG

IMG_12147.JPG

IMG_12226.JPG

one of the nicer looking flowers :)
IMG_12197.JPG

IMG_12249.JPG

IMG_12238.JPG

IMG_12219.JPG

edit: yea these are awful pictures ipods aren't exactly good for this.

How did this grow turn out?

We would love to be updated with some pictures and info! :blushsmile:

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read the photo gallery tutorial:
Photo Gallery Guide: How to Resize, Upload & Post Photos

I am moving this to abandoned journals until we get updates.

Thanks and hope all is well in your world!

Love and respect from all of us here at 420 Magazine!

Back
Top Bottom