Fighting with low humidity, fan seems to be too strong

Right now I have a 2gal that seems to be working no to bad. 76F and 45-50% humidity now. I have the humidifier inside the tent. It runs pretty much 24-7 even on high speed.

Hello,

I am in Canada as well and I keep my nursery in the bastement.

The ambiant temp is 65 and RH is about 38.

At this stage, you dont really need your air exchanger on all the time. I would put it on a timer, to run for 5 mins every 2 hours or so.

If you must have it on to deal with your light temp, then your humidity will continue to be a problem until your ambiant humidity raises higher.

What if you try directing your humidifier to outside of your tent right near the air intake?

I love this science part of the growing equation. There are many solutions. But finding the most stable one is usually prefered.

I just bought the ideal Air commercial humidifier and it is the absolute BOMB.
It requires a controller or else its always on and it will put your tent to 99% humidity in no time without a controller.

Does your exhaust go outside or stay in the house?
I first exhausted the air outside but then disconnected it and let it run inside. Actually helped the rh in the house which is good.

Try using a fan controller at the end of the inline fan . You cam further more control air input
1 week into my first grow, I have a 4x4 tent with a 600w mh/hps light and 6" exhaust fan. The light is currently sitting 28" away from the plants. With the light on, my temps hover around 76-78F but my humidity is always sitting at low to mid 30s. With the light off, temps lowers to 68-71 but humidity pretty much stays the same. With the exhaust fan on the lowest setting, it seems to be too fast for my humidifier to keep up. I first tried a small cool mist humidifer then found a much bigger evaporating one but still getting the same results.
I did a test by turning off the inline fan and within mins the humidity jumped to 45-50% but with that the temps creeped up to 82F and could have possibly gotten hotter. Once I turn it on the humidty falls back just as fast as it went up and the temps crawl slowly down over time. So this tells me the humidifer indeed works but its being sucked out to fast. I tried adjusting the negative pressure with no success.
My plants only a week old, are looking healthy and no signs of stress. Am I over worried about this? Any suggestions?
A
1 week into my first grow, I have a 4x4 tent with a 600w mh/hps light and 6" exhaust fan. The light is currently sitting 28" away from the plants. With the light on, my temps hover around 76-78F but my humidity is always sitting at low to mid 30s. With the light off, temps lowers to 68-71 but humidity pretty much stays the same. With the exhaust fan on the lowest setting, it seems to be too fast for my humidifier to keep up. I first tried a small cool mist humidifer then found a much bigger evaporating one but still getting the same results.
I did a test by turning off the inline fan and within mins the humidity jumped to 45-50% but with that the temps creeped up to 82F and could have possibly gotten hotter. Once I turn it on the humidty falls back just as fast as it went up and the temps crawl slowly down over time. So this tells me the humidifer indeed works but its being sucked out to fast. I tried adjusting the negative pressure with no success.
My plants only a week old, are looking healthy and no signs of stress. Am I over worried about this? Any suggestions?
Try

Try using a fan controller at the end of the inline fan . You cam further more control air input

A

Try
My fan has a controller built in, and its on its lowest setting. I picked up a bigger humidifier and it seems to be working well at leveling out the temp and RH. I really want to figure out if I can control the pwm on the fan from other means and makes it automated.

Yes you can, but now youre talkin big bucks getting multi controllers. I dont have any so I dont really know anything about em. But you can look up full environmental control systems.

I would be interested in researching the cost of a system for my setup.

I heard people being able to do it with a raspberry pi. Since I have a smart home and now a small smart grow setup, I think that would be a really cool idea.

Correct. It is possible to modify an Arduino or raspberry pi to adjust fan speed using pwm signals.

I considered it. It was easier for me to just buy a hyperfan with a temperature speed controller. Too hot fan speeds up, too cold fan slows down. Not perfect, but simple and very effective.

I use 2 - 6 gallon humidifiers for a 4' x 8' tent. I run both on the low setting 24/7. My R.H. stays around 65% through Veg.
During Flower I turn 1 off & put the other on High which keeps my R.H. around 50%. I use the Space Saver plus Humidifiers. They were about $50 each but work great & lower my temps a few degrees also. Helps with air flow also.
I live in the AZ. desert so you may not need as much R.H. as I do; but this should give you some ideas. I went round & round for 2 years trying to get things right. Finally got everything perfect last grow by adding the 2nd humidifier & ducting my house A/C from the ceiling vent with a wye fitting so 1/2 the air went into the tent. Worked like a charm !!! 77-79 F at all times & R.H. just where it needed to be according to the VPD charts. Then I sold my house & moved so starting a new set-up in my shed....LOL.

not sure if anyone has mentioned this as I did not read through all posts but I had humidity issues as well around 18% avg. I stuck a fan blowing directly at a 14" catch tray filled with water and its brought my humidity to around 25-30%, not a huge difference but will definitely take the increase as a win.
I have my humidifer currently in my other tent which I will bring over in the next week or so and it will raise it up to 50-55%

not sure if anyone has mentioned this as I did not read through all posts but I had humidity issues as well around 18% avg. I stuck a fan blowing directly at a 14" catch tray filled with water and its brought my humidity to around 25-30%, not a huge difference but will definitely take the increase as a win.
I have my humidifer currently in my other tent which I will bring over in the next week or so and it will raise it up to 50-55%
As the plants grew rh is not much of a problem. Heat however did and now I substituted for an ac.

Back
Top Bottom