First amateur grow on a whim

leighb

just your average everyday stoner who found a seed in his bud, and next thing he knew was researching grow techniques and trying to get a plant out of it. well this is where i am now, I've done a lot of reading online and found some low budget ways to get her (i use the female pronoun wishfully...) growing. any advice would be much appreciated! she's in my closet and I'm just using a CFL bulb (i might put another one in there at some point) and some tin foil as a reflective surface. i give it about a small glass worth of water 2-3 times a week. i also have a fan in there to keep the air moving but she doesn't have much ventilation, except for when I open the door to check on her a few times a day. I keep her in 24 hour light and she's about 5 weeks old - and if anyone can actually help in sexing her that would be much appreciated! I'm not interested in growing anything for a particularly high yield or particularly high quality bud... I'm hoping to end up with something good enough for just a bit of my own personal use.

p.s. i messed up in terms of watering her toward the beginning so that's why the very bottom leaves are kind of dried and shriveled... nothing that can be done about it now but all the leaves that have grown since are much healthier!

thanks for looking at my first post guys, hope you're all good :) please comment if you have anything to say!

Re: first amateur grow on a whim...

Hey lei....welcome to :420:....lots of great info here on a successful grow...she's looking good...might need some nutes now...getting big.....also that tin foil has got to be removed...it's a hot mess....cAuses mucho radiant heat...just find a cool spot where the walls are all flat white....shell love it...closet or whatnot....and you should already be getting those 2nd and 3rd bulbs ready...keep those cfls close...are you considering LSTing or topping her?.. Nows the time......she's looking good..nice work..:hippy:

thanks a lot for the advice!! i really appreciate all the info i can get right now. i put another bulb in and i just took all the tin foil down, ill just move her closer in to the walls of the closet since theyre white. i've never head of LSTing? but i wasn't planning on topping her since i've read that you only need to top your plants if you dont have a lot of vertical growing space, and there's plenty of headroom in there.

Sweet move .....the walls are much better reflectors.....and not so hot....LSTing in tying her down to grow horizontal....allowing the branches to grow up.....plenty of threads here on :420: to do your homework......what are you going to feed her?....

ok i looked up LSTing... my plant seems to already be growing pretty stocky and doing it seems a little complicated for me to try right now to be honest, so i probably won't do that haha. after doing a little research it looks like fox farm nutrients are the best... there's a place that sells that brand not too far from me so i'll grab those within a few days at most. and right now she's got 2 CFLs hovering just a few inches above her. can't wait to see how she progresses!! i can see why you guys do this, its fun... ;)

Nice work on the nutes coming....also consider BpN....blue Planet Nutrients...give Cory an email here on this site in the sponsors category....sounding good bro

Hey Leigh,

Welcome to the forums, great place with plenty of info. If you haven't already, take a look around, sit in ya fave chair, light one for the nation, read and relax...Yeah, I just smoked one...lol...Your lady is looking good. Just wondering what kind of soil you're working with? Foxfarm? Since you said you may use their products but I have to second what Vince said about Blue Planet Nutrients. Corey is a great guy, the price is reasonable and the product works. I am currently using it with this grow. I am seeing great results with my ladies. Sorry, I know that sounds like a shameless plug. Just check out the growing journals and people's signature lines. You will see BPN mentioned in a lot of them....Whew, ok done...lol..I look forward to hearing more from you and more updates on your grow.

thanks for all your help guys!! just posting a quick update - 10 days since we last saw her - she seems to have gained at least a few inches in height and i think she seems to be looking pretty healthy overall! let me know what you guys think/any suggestions you might have :)

oh and i do have one question for you guys: how early is too early to switch to 12/12? i'm kind of considering starting her on it soon? i know she COULD grow a lot taller and produce a much bigger yield, but i'm really just doing this as an experiment and to hopefully maybe get a product for just my own use... also my lease doesnt have a WHOLE lot of time left before it expires, and i definitely need to have this operation totally finished by then... so that being said, would it make any sense to try to get her to start flowering soon?

thanks everyone hope youre all doing well :)

You should have it veg'ing for 7-8 weeks before switching to 12/12... If you switch it to 12/12 now you probally wont get much of a yield off it :thumb:

looking good man, keep it up and your in the right place for great info. This site can provide all necessary tools to grow great bud. If your on a tight budget like most of us are, cfl's can be great, I made a 6 light cfl setup that keeps my mums with a nice light to stay in veg. i have pics in my gallery you can see it at if interested. I started using the GH line of nutes, they areinexpensive, and produce great results. I to started with some bagseed, then ordered seeds afterthe first try. Now I'm running a very awesome home made hydro unit that is totally blowing my mind. lol. It's the cherry berry grow in my sig. So all in all, your on the right path, and as stated I would ditch the tin foil unless you want a bunch of tiny burn spots and burned plants from the reflection. Tin foil shoots little lazers off and burns your ladies, A burned lady is a mad lady,lol.. or was that my wife, hmmm anyway... lol.. Good luck, and keep growing, this is a very special plant that deserves our utmost respect and love, just like a child they will grow up to be what the parents make of thier time with them..
Datrippp

she really appreciated your guys' kind words... look how much she's stretched in one day!! i also included one photo of where the nodes are starting to form... any ideas on sex yet?

and after some debate and inner hardship ive decided to put her on 12/12 starting today... id love to get a bigger yield but this is my first time and i want to keep it small and under control, rather than letting things get too out of hand for me and losing my crop. im just taking this one as a learning experience mostly and im happy with that :)

Hey buddy looking great...it's not time to tell sex yet...since you'd switched it to 12/12 you should be able to tell in next 2 weeks...that second pic looks suspect....looks busy in those node areas....hopefully not a bad sign cause SHE(wishing) looks awesome bro...keep watching those round calyxes for pistols!... Word

thanks again guys :) its so cool that theres a community like this out there with such supportive, selfless people... it feels really nice to be a part of it. haha im so blazed... but i mean it!

very sad news: she turned out to be a he :/ that's it for this operation. but at least now i have a lot more knowledge to bring to my next try! by the time i found out he was male, he'd gotten to about a foot and a half tall and was looking very healthy! so at least i have some idea of how to raise a healthy cannabis plant... once i accrue some more seeds ill definitely be trying again!

Back
Top Bottom