First Grow - Agent Orange Sativa 60%/40%

Arandombeast

420 Member
I made a post asking for some advice, and in it referenced that space may be an issue. These plants are about four weeks old, and using a fan with plenty of ventilation I've been maintaining ~40% humidity and 80 degrees during the day and 80-85 at night for the increased number of nodes. After hearing that doing so will require more specialized care, I'll be switching to the 'natural' temperature switches at night to a little over 70 degrees. I don't add nutrients as I'm using a gardening soil, but all water given to the plants is ph balanced around 6-6.5. Haven't yet decided if I'll be removing the smaller plant so that the bushier healthier plant can thrive. Will probably decide by this weekend as the plants' leaves are already beginning to overlap each other.

Did I see you say space may be an issue? I love me a small space grow and seeing people overcome the challenges that it brings. How much space you got?

Small space grower myself, I flower my girls in a space measuring 2x2x2.5ft. A total of 10 cubic feet. Veg Space is even smaller.

As your plants get bigger, your humidity WILL rise. I'm currently running 5 plants in flower, RH is real high, like 80% high, Air movement is key. Good luck with your adventure.

Pop by my journal, link below, for sporadic updates on how I cope.
:passitleft:

Very interesting. I went ahead and took a cutting from the smaller plant and will keep both going while I keep learning. I plan to keep mine in veg for a full 3.5 months instead of flowering early, however. I liked the extra fan in your setup and after having noticed beads of water on some of the overlapping leaves, decided to install one myself. I see no reason why I can't grow two plants in the available space at the moment, but that may change as I'm not sure how the space will look a month or two from now.

Side note though, as a new grower, this place is legit as hell. These grow journals are what I've been looking for since the thought of growing popped into my head. Thanks a lot.

Short term results of first toppings and trimming. Specifically, I topped both plants and did two early prunes. I'm installing stem supports tomorrow, but don't think I'll bother trying to train the plants any further. Next grow, I'd like to try a monster cropping, but all in due time. For now, small grow space challenge accepted. I've maintained RH of ~40-50% with temperatures steady at 75-80 degrees for the light cycle, and 70-75 degrees for their nights. Water is still just ph balanced tap water right around 6-6.5.

Could I get some opinions on culling the plant smashed against the tent walls? These things are growing crazy... only starting week 6 since germination. My main concern is the increased size during flowering, but I am adding another fan for under the canopy. With the risks of powdery mildew, weaker stems, and possibly a decreased overall yeild, I just don't know enough to make the right decisions. :confused: Don't mind the tiny yellow tips on the weaker plant, that happened after I trimmed it a bit too roughly, but has since stopped completely.

I made a post asking for some advice, and in it referenced that space may be an issue. These plants are about four weeks old, and using a fan with plenty of ventilation I've been maintaining ~40% humidity and 80 degrees during the day and 80-85 at night for the increased number of nodes. After hearing that doing so will require more specialized care, I'll be switching to the 'natural' temperature switches at night to a little over 70 degrees. I don't add nutrients as I'm using a gardening soil, but all water given to the plants is ph balanced around 6-6.5. Haven't yet decided if I'll be removing the smaller plant so that the bushier healthier plant can thrive. Will probably decide by this weekend as the plants' leaves are already beginning to overlap each other.

Girls look beauutiful. Lets hit fast forward

They're coming along nicely. Youre right to be concerned when you switch to flower especially if they are sativa dominant. Be fun to see what you do! I cant help though as I havent had this problem really.. yet

Looking good but you would be much better off to just flower one in there and you would probably get better yield and definitely be better quality. Airflow is key and remember once you flip to flower your plant can double and even triple in size so I would be thinking very serious about flower. That’s just my opinion and I hope you the best.✌️

So I have a healthy clone of the plant I culled, and after finding out that sativas (agent orange especially) can triple in height when flowering, I've switched to 12-12. The plant is already two feet tall, nearly three if you include the pot. With just about five and a half feet of vertical grow space (and I'm still a noob) I feel this is a safe move. I've now installed an extra fan under the canopy as well. Will post another update with pics in a week or two, stay happy everyone :ganjamon:

Hi again everyone, figured now is as good a time as any to get some second opinions. It's week seven since I've put the little germinated seed in soil, and about two weeks in flower. I've been giving this plant about a liter of 6.5~pH water a day, but I've given thought to starting to skip a day. This may be completely unnecessary, however. There seems to be a consensus that plants normally need more water during flower, but I can't put a good guess to what the cause may be of some leaves starting to spot and have dry, brown tips with edges that curl up slightly. I was thinking I may have over-watered the soil, and would go from daily watering to every other day for a week or so and watch for changes. I barely let water spill through the root pouch (I thought this would prevent overwatering), but I'm just not sure if doing that daily was still too much. I cut my root pouch to look for rot before taping it back up, and the roots aren't huge and white like some I've seen, but they didnt look brown and rotten either from what I could see. RH stays between 45-55%, and that's the lowest I can manipulate it currently.

I did a little more training after splitting apical dominance, but nothing really stressful. To be honest, I feel as if I'm really pussyfooting around this plant just trying to get through this flowering stage while learning all I can for my next grow.

In the picture below, you can see how the tips have browned and some are curling up, some down. The edges that are curling up aren't quite so noticeable in this picture, but are there none the less and this has only happened about a week after switching to flower.

Any tips are greatly appreciated and taken into consideration and I read everything posted here. I'm reading up on some of the sativa grow journals to search for any similarities and just trying to sponge up all the info I can. Thanks again all, I feel lucky to have this understanding community to turn to. :thumb:

Well then! Hopefully someone finds this and doesn't make the same mistake I did. The leaves only continued to worsen, and it took me FAR too long to test the pH of my excess run off. I finally checked it and it was incredibly acidic, probably under 5.0. I flushed it with some tap water, and the run off is now at a comfortable 6.5. I went ahead and supplemented the tap water with half the recommended doses for early flowering of nitrogen, potash and phosphate, which was done before testing pH. Hopefully this will end this harsh nutrient lockout.

Happy trails!

Alrighty, dealing with loss so I kinda forgot about the grow journal. Long story short, my root bag was too small, plant started growing roots into the actual bag and was dying. Transplanted from a two gallon into a seven gallon container, and within three days all decay stopped. Even though the damage is done and some time was lost, the plant has recovered and is budding best it can. Currently have about 2.5 weeks left in flower. It's now 4'4", getting 2 liters of water every 36 hours and I plan to stop feeding it after tomorrow once flushed. Still don't have an HPS light unfortunately, but the MH isn't doing too poorly. I think the main reason this plant won't do what it COULD've is just because of my lack of knowledge lol. The small root bag was quite the setback.

Even with all the issues, for my first grow ever, I'm happy to say that inside that tent is a damn nosegasm. Any time I handle or even bump parts of the plant I have to wash hard to get that smell off. It practically stains skin. Hopefully the rest of my seeds are as quality as this and I can really maximize a yield with all this new knowledge.

You can see in the final picture how so many of the lower leaves were being cannibalized when the root bag was too small. I know its supposed to happen eventually during flower, but it began far too soon for my plant and with fewer healthy leaves the buds will be smaller. As far as quality goes, I'll have to get back to you guys :)
Good luck growers!! :thumb:

Hope all is well in your world.

How did this grow turn out?

We would love to be updated with some pictures and info.

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read our Photo Gallery Tutorial.

I am moving this to Abandoned Journals until we get updates.

Sending you lots of love and positive energy.

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom