stonedCrispie

So here's a couple photos to begin with:
IMG_20160129_220144.jpg

IMG_20160129_220113.jpg

Here's everything I know about the plant:
No idea what species it is
Most certainly a sativa.
Clearly just a seedling.
This is the 10th day since the plant sprouted.
Grown indoor at 22.3°C constantly.
Grown under 1 * 22W Fluorescent Bulb (100W Equivalent)
Average quality, wallmart soil in a 2 inch in diameter, 1.5 inch deep pot.
RH, no idea, average room humidity :D
PH I suppose around 6.5, until yesterday I accidentally watered it with some 7.8 ph water.
No pests, trying to water when half inch deep into the soil is dry, altough after I realised I gave it alkalyne water yesterday, I watered it again today, with some more acidic water to try and compensate.
No pests, no fertilizers used.

So I hope you can see from the pictures:

The leaves are dieing on the edges (turning brown).
I've noticed this on the 5th day of its growth in only one point, now it expanded to more edges.

And the leaves are become more yellowish, which I think might be from light stress since I kept the plants a little too close to the light, or by a sulfur deficiency perhaps.

Having the lights too close to the plants has also caused the leaves to curle up on the sides, which I realised and accounted for yesterday.

The leaves also are a little curved downwards in the whole, which I think might be because of a little bit of overwatering.

Please let me know if I'm missing and if you ID my problems, perhaps some tips of fixing them!

Thanks a lot in advance!

well if your info is accurate (which most assuredly it is) then there is some inherent issue with the medium. There is definitely not enough perlite in there is that is supposed to be a soil blend.

So lets talk about what you have for a medium and lest measure the run off next time you water. At that age though you may get 2 weeks out of one watering in good soil. You don't want to water until the entire soil medium is dry not just the top. You can kill the lower roots that way. So let it dry out next time. It will grow faster and stronger if you let the soil completely dry out between watering. This also stimulates a larger root ball which will greatly benefit the plant in many ways.

:goodluck:

Thanks for the reply man!
So I guess I'm going to buy some perlite then.
I don't really know much about my soil, except that it is universal purpose soil, with a ph of 6 to 7.
Thanks for the watering tip; So How would I check if the soil is dry? Do I poke a hole through the soil? Don't I risk damaging the roots this way?
Thanks again!:thanks::thumb:

Take 2 same size pots filled with the same medium,add water to only one of the pots and compare the weight between the two pots,you see where I'm going with this?water your plant when it weighs just a little more than the unwatered one:)

Pot lifting is the most common method.

As for me ...in veg...I wait until the plant shows signs of lack of watering and then you get the maximum root growth. They bounce back in a few hours and have not stunting. That gives them a good while in dry soil where the roots are going to really be looking fro water.

When you get ready to repot that into the final pot try this blend for getting started as a new grower.

1/3 Perlite
1/3 Good soil blend (something where the bag says it has oyster shells, Bat Guano, worm castings, Ancient forest / Humis soil... if it has that stuff then you know the rest is good.)
1/6 Coconut husk (Coco)
1/6 composted steer manure (like $2.50 at Home depot)

Then you wont need nutes for most of veg. If you use a good compost tea (which most good grow stores sell....I make my own) you wont need to add nutes to that until bloom likely.

I usually go 1/3, 1/3, 1/3 and no coco husk but it can be a bit hot and newbs freak when they see a little tip burn so I have been recommending a bit less manure to begin with.

The 2 most important parts of a good soil blend is aeration and and organic component. Never go less than 1/4 perlite otherwise you will be just making things difficult for no reason. You need organic material in there otherwise when you do add stuff other than water it will just all run out the bottom. You need organic material in there for it to soak into and then be accessible later by the roots. So that is why if you run down the manure just mix in some coco.

Hello!
Thanks a lot for the pot lifting jonny64!
I'll be making a good soil mix as you suggested for when I transplant VilliageIdiot, thanks a lot!

When I transplant to the final pot, do I remove the old soil from the roots? Or should I just plant the whole thing inside the new blend?

Thanks again!

The browning effect around the edge's of the leafs / tip could be related nutrient burn & may well be related to the growing medium used if it has any nutrients with in it !

Just some thing else to think about :thumb:

Naw as long as the plant is healthy you can just transplant in the soil it is in. If it is not healthy at that time then you will want to take action first and get it right and not transplant a mess into fresh soil.

I am sure there are a ton of videos on Youtube on transplanting and you don't have to watch one about cannabis to get the gist.

There is actually a lot more to it to do it correctly as far as waiting for it to properly fill the current pot and such before transplant but I wouldn't worry about that for now. As it is your first grow lets take baby steps and just do one thing at a time. Unfortunately it is likely that you will stumble over something else soon and that will be your priority.

Water deep so that 10-15% of the water comes out the bottom and make sure the run off goes away ....that it doesn't sit in the drip pan and reabsorb. and then wait for it to dry out before watering again. Follow that basic rule and you will bypass most of the beginner mistakes.

Pot lifting is the most common method.

As for me ...in veg...I wait until the plant shows signs of lack of watering and then you get the maximum root growth. They bounce back in a few hours and have not stunting. That gives them a good while in dry soil where the roots are going to really be looking fro water.

When you get ready to repot that into the final pot try this blend for getting started as a new grower.

1/3 Perlite
1/3 Good soil blend (something where the bag says it has oyster shells, Bat Guano, worm castings, Ancient forest / Humis soil... if it has that stuff then you know the rest is good.)
1/6 Coconut husk (Coco)
1/6 composted steer manure (like $2.50 at Home depot)

Then you wont need nutes for most of veg. If you use a good compost tea (which most good grow stores sell....I make my own) you wont need to add nutes to that until bloom likely.

I usually go 1/3, 1/3, 1/3 and no coco husk but it can be a bit hot and newbs freak when they see a little tip burn so I have been recommending a bit less manure to begin with.

The 2 most important parts of a good soil blend is aeration and and organic component. Never go less than 1/4 perlite otherwise you will be just making things difficult for no reason. You need organic material in there otherwise when you do add stuff other than water it will just all run out the bottom. You need organic material in there for it to soak into and then be accessible later by the roots. So that is why if you run down the manure just mix in some coco.

Well put bro. Took the words out of mouth and made them 100x not stoned sounding.

Helloo!
Sorry, I got sick so I wasn't able to reply for the last couple days.
The plantie is growing great! I guess haha.
Here's a photo:
ArOPEuS1n6u2ZkIX0l6wRuY409-d9lKoQpETRd6zvP00.jpg

I believe it is now 16 days old. The cotyledons are almost dry,

Weirdly enough, as you can see, the two baby leaves have curved down, and are slowly drying too, isn't it early?

All in all I haven't watered it yet, and I believe it is ready to be watered, since it is quite dry and the pot seems quite light, what do you guys think?

Also I've noticed that the new set of leaves that's coming out, is already a 5 leafed one *-*

Less edges are turning yellow overall, so I guess it was nutrient burn after all, and it is ceasing as the plant gets bigger and the soil gets poorer in nutrients.

Soo looking forward to any tips or comments, thanks a lot in advance!!!

Yer fine...Just be have some patience.

They are very weak in the beginning and there is enough nutes in the seeds foo them to make it even bigger than that. My basic newb soil blend needs no nutes at all in veg. An expert soil can go pretty much the whole grow without nutes. So just water it infrequently and heavy when you do for now and let it grow for a while. They want to be left alone.

Back
Top Bottom