First grow, question about topping

Hi Jay if you want to rid your water of chlorine why not let it sit overnight? Next morning youll see the bubbles on the side of the jug, give it a tap and thats the chlorine leaving. I use milk jugs and fill 6 at a time. Always adjust my ph to 6-6.5 as im growing in soil. As for distilled water check the ph on it also. I had some that was 7.5.
Good Luck!
the evaporation technique only works with chlorinated water but more water treatment facilities are adding ammonia to form chloramines which are way more stable and take weeks to evaporate

ok, good to know. I will have to figure out the cheapest source of non chlorinated water i can get!

I use a RO filter called "RO Buddy" google it they are cheap enough. Can make enough RO water for a family of 4 AND all your container plants for a few years for $60ish.

Eventually when your plants get big, you will want to water them past water runout the btm of the pot almost every day. My plants drink 1 gal+ daily after 35 days in flower.

You can let the water run out the btm and let it sit in a pan. The plant will reach down with roots and drink up the leftovers pretty quickly.

Are you growing outdoors or indoors in containers? I saw pics of both. Watering and growing outdoors is a bit different than indoors in containers.

If growing indoors in containers your water quality is VERY important.
Why I use an RO filter. Outdoors its of WAY less importance. Rain water is best.

You could collect rain water off your roof and use that to water your plants. win win
Get a rain barrel. Some local municipalities give them away for free. I have a freebee the city INSTALLED it for me too!

Rain water and RO water will not require any type of PH'ing.

I test RO for PPM & pH so that I know when to change filters.
The pH is always 6.5pH. PPMs are 8 - 14ppm for 2 years. I change filters @ 14ppm.

Its a health issue for us. We have lead in our drinking water.

What was I saying..???

We have lead in our drinking water.

Here we have a cocktail that includes several deadly chemicals. The worst is probably arsenic at an order of magnitude more than the WHO limit. I suspect that this is from the gold mining and refining that has gone on for 100 years or more in my area.

Here we have a cocktail that includes several deadly chemicals. The worst is probably arsenic at an order of magnitude more than the WHO limit. I suspect that this is from the gold mining and refining that has gone on for 100 years or more in my area.

Arsenic is also a byproduct of coal mining. A big one. Its big here in PA. Lots of folks moved out to the country for clean air and water only to find out they cant drink the water. It's worse than in the city. The oil fracking ain't helping much either, sadly.
Lead is a big one in all the older cities. All the big water feed pipes are lead from the early 1900s when they were initially installed. They add a chemical in the water that is supposed to sort of seal the inside of the lead pipes so it doesn't leach out.

The water companies routinely add phosphates to the drinking water to keep the PH up so that lead and other chemicals dont leach out of the metal pipes and into the water we drink.

I'm a gonna have to pass on that crap.

Why we use RO filtration. We buy mineral water and drink that to replace the minerals we filter out with the RO filter. We drink the RO water too.

Mg is pretty important for humans so we supplement with mineral water and magnesium sulfate (Epsom Salt) and Magnesium Chloride foot baths pretty regular. It makes a difference.

i think it worked.

before

w9EFUQV.jpg

after
mTRMtR7.jpg

no, lets keep your knuckles clean. Your goal is to treat the container of soil as if it were a sponge, and to actively try to get it to soak up as much water as possible. If you water quickly, it will just slide off and through the soil without being absorbed, so you must go very slowly, watering a little and then waiting a bit for it to soak in.... and then water some more.... continuing this process until the sponge can no longer soak up any additional water and anything else added just comes out of the bottom.
Some people will water slowly like this and then will come back in an hour or two, just to make sure they have topped off the total amount of water the soil can hold.

Then, after watering properly, the task is to sit on your hands until the plant is able to use all of that water, right down to its toes. The container needs to dry out all the way to the bottom before it is appropriate to water again.

Is it possible to love a response?

Back
Top Bottom