First grow, question about topping

Passive Jay

i was told in my intro thread that the clones I got yesterday are ready to be topped.

s29x9uO.jpg

x5zFoA1.jpg

My question is since I just got them yesterday should I give them a day or two to recover from the move or go ahead and try to top them today?

additional info that might help? I dont have a lot of vertical space. the plants are already about a foot tall and realistically speaking I only have about a foot, maybe a foot and a half of grow room (only a 5 foot tent so only a bit over three feet of space above the ground because of the light).

I just read that most breeds will double their height after entering flowering. I am going to set up a screen to hopefully bend the stalks over with if they get too close to the light but I had planned on putting it into flower in a week or so.

should topping this weekend as advised change those plans any?

I’d listen to old salt here 3-4 node then snip

additional info that might help? I dont have a lot of vertical space. the plants are already about a foot tall and realistically speaking I only have about a foot, maybe a foot and a half of grow room (only a 5 foot tent so only a bit over three feet of space above the ground because of the light).

I just read that most breeds will double their height after entering flowering. I am going to set up a screen to hopefully bend the stalks over with if they get too close to the light but I had planned on putting it into flower in a week or so.

should topping this weekend as advised change those plans any?
You can super crop as well to help with space get her wide to help keep her low ?

Indicas will double in size, while sativas can triple in size or more. The screen will allow you to bend them, keeping them within your vertical growing room.

Indicas will double in size, while sativas can triple in size or more. The screen will allow you to bend them, keeping them within your vertical growing room.

it is a hybrid (chemdawg) so not sure of the mix. Will the screen let me do a lot of bending in the flowering stage? such that I should not start flowering now?

I guess I am asking how far from the screen should I let the plants get before I flower?

The screen should be high enough so that you can trim leaves etc under it. I've seen it as low as 6" and high as 12" above the containers. During the vegetative stages you guide the growth by tucking the branches back under the screen. They should be right up against the screen. Some use netting made from cord, others chicken wire. Chicken wire is not a good choice as it will damage the branches. Corded nets will bulge from the pressure exerted by the growing plants. I prefer 2" x 2" wire fencing as this does not bulge, providing a flat surface for the canopy to grow from.

full

Screen When First Installed (11 Weeks from Seed)

full

Screen with Last Plant to be Harvested

The screen should be high enough so that you can trim leaves etc under it. I've seen it as low as 6" and high as 12" above the containers. During the vegetative stages you guide the growth by tucking the branches back under the screen. They should be right up against the screen. Some use netting made from cord, others chicken wire. Chicken wire is not a good choice as it will damage the branches. Corded nets will bulge from the pressure exerted by the growing plants. I prefer 2" x 2" wire fencing as this does not bulge, providing a flat surface for the canopy to grow from.

I will be getting this in the mail tomorrow.

71D4Vl7HKjL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

VIVOSUN 1-Pack 3x3FT Elastic Trellis Netting with Hooks for Grow Tents

hopefully it will be ok

As the plants are already about 12 inches tall I guess I should put up the screen right away at the height they are now.

I assume that would not affect my plan to top this weekend?

more questions if you dont mind.

Currently in 1 gallon starter pots. I had planned to move them to 3 gallon at some point fairly soon. I believe i need to do that before I start flowering them.

How should I try to time the transplant with topping and the start of flower?

No, it won't affect your plan. Topping them will lower their height. You don't need to install the screen yet. Transplant at the same time, or before you top them. Start LST training the branches as soon as they get to be about 1-1/2 to two inches (50mm) long.

My plants stay in veg as long as they do as I top twice to get eight main colas, using NugBucket's Mainline/Manifold method. The screen is used to guide the growth similar to what is done in a ScrOG. I just clip the offshoots, rather than letting them grow as in a ScrOG.

No, it won't affect your plan. Topping them will lower their height. You don't need to install the screen yet. Transplant at the same time, or before you top them. Start LST training the branches as soon as they get to be about 1-1/2 to two inches (50mm) long.

My plants stay in veg as long as they do as I top twice to get eight main colas, using NugBucket's Mainline/Manifold method. The screen is used to guide the growth similar to what is done in a ScrOG. I just clip the offshoots, rather than letting them grow as in a ScrOG.

ok, last question for the moment! is there a reason to wait to do the transplant and top this weekend? as far as I know the plant doesnt NEED to be transplanted yet but any reason not to do it a bit early?

Hi Passive Jay,
Welcome to the group. Looks like you have some healthy plants to start with so that's great.
I did a scrog in my grow journal and your welcome to look through it. You will find the link to my journal in my signature below.
Yes, as others have already explained you should top now. Your plants are growing tall and narrow. You want low and wide. I top a few times during my veg period. Let the plants grow and it wouldn't hurt to do a little LST (Low Stress Training) on them in the meantime. Once they get a little bigger I would install the scrog. If it were me I would install the scrog at least one full week from now. Then you can let them veg for another couple weeks under it. As branches grow up through the net you pull them back down under it and force them to reach for the next square over and so on and so on. Once you have filled the whole scrog up to about 75% you can then flip to 12/12 and begin the flower cycle. About a week or two later you will start seeing your flowers starting to develop. It's at this time you should stop pulling the branches down and just let everything start growing up through it. My journal photos will show you the results.
I don't see why you can't wait another week before transplanting. They don't look rootbound. You will need to transplant into the final pot size when you install the scrog. Once the scrog is in you can't pull them back out to transplant.
Happy growing. :ganjamon:

Hi Passive Jay,
Welcome to the group. Looks like you have some healthy plants to start with so that's great.
I did a scrog in my grow journal and your welcome to look through it. You will find the link to my journal in my signature below.
Yes, as others have already explained you should top now. Your plants are growing tall and narrow. You want low and wide. I top a few times during my veg period. Let the plants grow and it wouldn't hurt to do a little LST (Low Stress Training) on them in the meantime. Once they get a little bigger I would install the scrog. If it were me I would install the scrog at least one full week from now. Then you can let them veg for another couple weeks under it. As branches grow up through the net you pull them back down under it and force them to reach for the next square over and so on and so on. Once you have filled the whole scrog up to about 75% you can then flip to 12/12 and begin the flower cycle. About a week or two later you will start seeing your flowers starting to develop. It's at this time you should stop pulling the branches down and just let everything start growing up through it. My journal photos will show you the results.
I don't see why you can't wait another week before transplanting. They don't look rootbound. You will need to transplant into the final pot size when you install the scrog. Once the scrog is in you can't pull them back out to transplant.
Happy growing. :ganjamon:

ok let me double check just to make sure I am on the same page with your and Salts advice (and everyone else!)

Top this weekend
Transfer to new pots next weekend, then install scrog at where current plant height is at
veg for 2 weeks
turn to flower, stop tucking plants.

Only question i have right now is what should I do if after I turn it to flower and stop tucking what happens if the tops get too close to the lights?

ok let me double check just to make sure I am on the same page with your and Salts advice (and everyone else!)

Top this weekend
Transfer to new pots next weekend, then install scrog at where current plant height is at
veg for 2 weeks
turn to flower, stop tucking plants.

Only question i have right now is what should I do if after I turn it to flower and stop tucking what happens if the tops get too close to the lights?

Then your in trouble a bit... Branches can bend during veg but in flower they become hard and way less bendable to support bud weight. Do everything you can do until the branches feel like they don't bend anymore and hope for the best.

but in flower they become hard and way less bendable

These woody branches can still be bent. It needs to be done a little every day or two until it gets to be where you want it.

i am sure there is a better spot to ask this but here we go.

I have read several diffferent guides on watering and all them give good advice on when to water but it is hard to track down how MUCH to water when you do. I read a guide that said add water until it comes out the bottom of the pot. Is that right? do you pour a certain amount and see if it comes out the bottom? how long do you wait? or do you just pour non stop until water comes out?

Back
Top Bottom