First grow questions!

starsabove

Hey everyone!
I just have a few questions about my first grow. They are 3 week old seedlings now and man they are getting big, albeit i am concerned a bit leggy, as in about 5 or 6cm tall. The light is positioned 50cm above...any closer and they get too hot, so I don't feel it's the distance. They all have 2 pairs of leaves and many are coming in with a3rd now. I have put up a fan and they seem to be loving it. So, my qiestions are:

Is 3 weeks old too young to feed them? My grow shop gave me a bottle of Oldtimer organic feed and recommended diluting it right down so i did about 1/8th of the dosage to a lot of filtered water, and have given them a tiny amount each. So far so good, but i have read about them getting root burn at this young age so am cautious?

They were repotted very early, 1 week old, because they were absolutely hammering their fibre pots with roots coming out of the bottom. how will i kno when to repot again; is it the same story, if the roots come out of the bottom?

Can the oscillating fan stay on 24/7? As in even when the lights are on their off cycle.

My major concern is the length of their stems right now at this young age but i'm hoping the oscillating fan will help strengthen them and they'll catch up with themselves!

Thank you all most kindly for any advice...
:Namaste:

Hi starsabove

What you should be giving them now is some kind of a root stimulant.

As for feeding, it depends on the kind of soil you have. If pre-fertilized, then probably no. If not, you can give them nutes but slowly. Start with 1/3 strength.

That's what I would do.

Oscilating fan can stay on, providing it's not too strong. The length of stems is a sure indicator of not enough light. They're stretching their tiny little necks, in search of more photons :)

Any chance for some pictures?

Btw, with three weeks behind them, they're not seedlings anymore.

Best

Hi starsabove

What you should be giving them now is some kind of a root stimulant.

As for feeding, it depends on the kind of soil you have. If pre-fertilized, then probably no. If not, you can give them nutes but slowly. Start with 1/3 strength.

That's what I would do.

Oscilating fan can stay on, providing it's not too strong. The length of stems is a sure indicator of not enough light. They're stretching their tiny little necks, in search of more photons :)

Any chance for some pictures?

Btw, with three weeks behind them, they're not seedlings anymore.

Best

Wicked man, thank you. I must say that they only really stretched that much when they were in the propagator, and since repotting them 9 days ago thry havent grown any taller but they are really firing up their leaves now which is great to see. As for pics, I'm on mobile now and cant seem to figure it out! Will try somehow...
Otherwise thanks again for the info!

If their stems don't support themselves, you can bury them deeper. To do this without repotting, just lay them down and cover with dirt almost up to the first true pair of leaves. It's OK if it ends up along the rim of the pot.

But if the stems seem to support the leaves, the fan should force them to grow thicker stems. They will grow into their stems.

Back
Top Bottom