First Indoor Grow With Deadhead OG - Kandy Kush & Tahoe OG

Re: First Indoor grow with Deadhead OG, Kandy Kush and Tahoe OG

Thanks! When I put them into 12/12 8 days ago they were all at 12" tall. Now the two Deadhead OG and Tahoe OG are at 14" tall and the Kandy Kush is up to 17". My closet is 36" wide and the KK is just about stretching the width of it... She's up to 30" wide now. :)

Seeing how the humidity is running so high I wanted to make sure that the plants had great air-flow and cleaned up some of the lower branches.

This is the base of the Tahoe, the plant in the front of the overhead shot above. I topped her after her first set of 5 leaves came out. A few weeks after the two tops branched out she decided to pop out a couple more branches from the center. It's kinda like she popped out 4 branches from where she was topped at.
DSCN0315_2_.jpg

Hey, IslandDog - Those are some GREAT-looking plants! Love the whole setup. Thank you so much for giving our Growology nutrient line a try and for documenting it on 420mag for everyone to follow. Our whole mission is to make it easy for anyone to grow strong, healthy, productive plants, and we sincerely appreciate your help in spreading the word. Looking forward to following the rest of your grow!

Hey, IslandDog - Those are some GREAT-looking plants! Love the whole setup. Thank you so much for giving our Growology nutrient line a try and for documenting it on 420mag for everyone to follow. Our whole mission is to make it easy for anyone to grow strong, healthy, productive plants, and we sincerely appreciate your help in spreading the word. Looking forward to following the rest of your grow!

Is your bag of micro nutrients certified organic in CO.

Hi, 303Stoner - Our Growology Step 1 product, which contains mycorrhizae and humates that you add to your soil, is organic. Step 2 for veg and Step 3 for flower are not. However, they are made from the highest quality ingredients we can find and they are low-salt formulations. (We are currently exploring organic versions of Steps 2 & 3 and we have some preliminary formulations, but I can't say when they will be ready for sale). If you want to discuss further, email me at john@doggettsimpson.com - don't want to get too sales-y on the forums! Thanks for your interest.

John

Hi, 303Stoner - Our Growology Step 1 product, which contains mycorrhizae and humates that you add to your soil, is organic. Step 2 for veg and Step 3 for flower are not. However, they are made from the highest quality ingredients we can find and they are low-salt formulations. (We are currently exploring organic versions of Steps 2 & 3 and we have some preliminary formulations, but I can't say when they will be ready for sale). If you want to discuss further, email me at john@doggettsimpson.com - don't want to get too sales-y on the forums! Thanks for your interest.

John

My fave product so far is the Growology step 1. Makes HUGE root balls so fast and fills root zone quickly!

Yeah, it all starts with the roots. No matter how good your nutrients, if you don't have good root mass, it's like trying to drink a great drink through a cocktail straw. The myccorhizae and humates in Step 1 ensure that the roots are up to the task of maximum nute absorption.

I noticed that the plants from step 3 start to mature much faster too. No burns just seems to kick metabolism in the right direction :)

Yeah, it all starts with the roots. No matter how good your nutrients, if you don't have good root mass, it's like trying to drink a great drink through a cocktail straw. The myccorhizae and humates in Step 1 ensure that the roots are up to the task of maximum nute absorption.

I really wish I would have thought of taking a picture when I transplanted them. I'll have to remember the next grow.

We're on the 11th day into flowering now... I've had the de-humidifier running for almost 48hrs now. It's still not exactly where I would like it but it sure is a lot better than the 80some % it was hitting. I also had a couple of those incandescent plant lights hanging that I was using for about the only thing they're good for... a heat source for the room. Since I brought the de-humidifier in it's been keeping the room at a good temp itself.
DSCN0476-1.jpg

All the plants have flowers appearing all over. The fun is just starting! ;)
DSCN0427-1.jpg

DSCN0417-1.jpg

And I hate to say it as I don't want to jinx myself, but so far the stretch really hasn't been bad at all. All the plants are staying very tight...
DSCN0448-1.jpg

Sometimes I open the closet door and just get stuck there. I've never grown anything under artificial light so I'm just amazed at the growth.
DSCN0479-1.jpg

Hey Heady... I hope you see this... I tried to reply to your message but it said I haven't posted enough yet to send private messages... It's a good thing to have in the journal anyway so I'll share with everyone. :)

Heady said:
Hello,

I am considering the D & G so a couple questions....

What is your soil or what soil is recommended and what size pots are those in your current grow...I like those pots, I'm using 3gal but thinking of going larger and wider.

I'm using Gardner & Bloome Planting Mix. It's an organic soil-less mix of all kinds of good stuff. I used their potting soil on my outdoor grow and I really liked it but it got kinda hard by the time the plants were done. This stuff is staying nice and light but I'm starting to run into issues with it drying out too fast. I may have to start watering twice a day soon. I'm thinking my next grow will be a mix of the Planting Mix and their Potting Soil.

3 of the plants I have are 5 gallon. I have one 4 gallon that I'll be changing over to a 5 gallon next time. I may need to go with a larger size than 5 for the next grow, these plants have an incredible root mass already...

I'm having great results with D&G fertilizers. The Kandy Kush and Tahoe OG are having no issues with it full strength. I spotted what I think might be some nute burn on both of the Deadhead's. I cut back a little on the fertilizer I'm giving them and we'll see how that goes. The burn isn't bad at all and I only found a couple leaves that had it but before it can become a bigger problem I just cut back a little already. I'll be posting a pic soon to see what others think...

Good to meet you on here! :)

We were 2 weeks into 12/12 yesterday and the plants are looking great. I had to re-arrange the closet a little today. The Kandy Kush is getting so much bigger than the others I moved it up to be under the UFO's I have in the front of the garden. The other 3 are staying right about the same size so they work better together under the 400W.

While I had them out of the closet I grabbed a few pics of them in regular light...

This is my Deadhead OG plant #1. She's about 16 inches tall now.
DOG1_1.JPG

The 2nd Deadhead OG is also about 16 inches tall now too.
DOG2_2.JPG

The Tahoe OG stretched a little more than the DOG's did, she's up to about 18 inches now. She's also starting to get wide too.
TOG2.JPG

And here's the monster of the group, the Kandy Kush... She's just about 21 inches tall and 36 inches wide now.
KK32.JPG

They all have pistils forming all over. It's seems like every day I'm finding more and more...
DSCN06648.JPG

And what do you guys think? Does this look like nute burn to you? I only found it on a few of the bottom leaves on the Deadhead OG's. The Kandy Kush and Tahoe all look good. These edges are crinkled and a little crispy. For now I just cut-back a little on the amount of nutes I'm giving to those girls, I'm keeping the Tahoe and Kandy Kush at the recommended levels.
DSCN07017.JPG

Thanks!

I just want to weigh in here in response to Heady's question because the question of growing medium comes up quite often. A plain, unfortified soil or soilless medium like Pro-Mix works very well with Growology. We all want to do what's best for our plants, so we tend to gravitate towards media that are really very rich right out of the bag. Growology Steps 2 and 3 are nutritionally very complete, though, and if you use them at full strength with a fortified soil, you run the risk of overfeeding your plants. So use your judgment, and if you're not sure, err on the side of underfeeding with a more dilute nute solution. If the plants respond well, you can always up it a little. The application instructions are for use with plain soil, but the bottom line is to listen to your plants.

-John

I just want to weigh in here in response to Heady's question because the question of growing medium comes up quite often. A plain, unfortified soil or soilless medium like Pro-Mix works very well with Growology. We all want to do what's best for our plants, so we tend to gravitate towards media that are really very rich right out of the bag. Growology Steps 2 and 3 are nutritionally very complete, though, and if you use them at full strength with a fortified soil, you run the risk of overfeeding your plants. So use your judgment, and if you're not sure, err on the side of underfeeding with a more dilute nute solution. If the plants respond well, you can always up it a little. The application instructions are for use with plain soil, but the bottom line is to listen to your plants.

-John

Thanks! You worded it much better than I could, I think you hit the nail right on the head. :)

The girls are 18 days into 12/12 now. It's getting tough reaching around the plants to water so I came up with an idea. I picked up some lead-free pvc and some T fittings from the hardware store and it's much easier to water all of them now. I still have one more plant to do this with but it's the one up front so it's easy to water anyway.

I ran the hoses the length of the closet back to the plants...
DSCN0846-1.jpg

Cut a few smaller pieces and drilled some holes all around them and then attached all of the ends with a T fitting.
DSCN0850-1.jpg

For now all I have to do is put a funnel onto the end of the hose and pour the water through. It really is so much easier now. And now that I see in in pictures it looks kinda' like a beer bong for the plants! LOL
DSCN0848-1.jpg

Now I'm starting to think about just putting a water pump in to make it even easier. :)

But enough of the watering... Here are some pics of the girls 18 days into 12/12. They're all looking very healthy and are really starting to put out more and more pistils. The Deadhead caught up to the Tahoe and are all 18 inches tall now. The Kandy Kush stretched the most and doubled her size since the switch, she's up to 24 inches now.

This is an overhead shot of the two Deadheads and Tahoe. These girls didn't stretch as much as the Kandy yet but they've put out more pistils instead.
DSCN0855-1.jpg

This is the Deadhead
DSCN0883-1.jpg

And the tops of the Deadheads are looking more and more like little buds.
DSCN0799-1.jpg

The Tahoe is looking really nice too. I'm thinking she's probably going to have some nice fat cola's.
DSCN0872-1.jpg

The Kandy Kush doesn't have as many pistils yet, but you can tell she's just getting ready to pop!
DSCN0828-1.jpg

Since I cut back on the amount of nutes I was giving to the Deadheads everything has been looking great. I really think it was just a little too much for them as the planting medium I'm using is so rich. I probably should have eased them into the fertilizer a little slower, but I don't think I ever learn anything the easy way.

Beautiful update, IslandDog.

Your plants all look very healthy and happy. :thumb:

Our girls are so close in flower time - today is 17 days into flower for me.

It's fun to watch them bloom together. :high-five:

Thanks! It is fun watching them. We have the same thermometer too. LOL And the Kandy Kush I'm growing is a cross between OG Kush and Trainwreck, so we also have similarities there too. :ganjamon:

Back
Top Bottom