First Journal - 18th Grow - Growing 4 Strains From A 420 Magazine Sponsor

I've been looking at the Recirculation Schedule
Feedcharts

although if im draining and refilling I should be using the to waste schedule till its more stable.

You plan on changing the nutrients on a regular schedule right? That would be Drain to waste. Ebb and Flow would be more like recirculating system. Your system is more like a DWC except for the drip ring and one large reservoir and each bucket has a smaller reservoir. As I understand it.

WJ

Brownish might be caused by your nutrients. They look slick and shiny. My GH FloraNova made the roots brown, as did the slime. But I don't see slime. Slime will be t-h-i-c-k on the roots. No mistaking slime. You don't have to worry about your roots I think. They are growing. Takes a long time to get a large root ball. Next time you start a grow use GH RapidStart to get roots growing strong from day 1.

I do 4ml GH FloraNova Bloom
2.5ml GH KoolBloom liquid
1ml GH Floralicious Plus
5ml GH CaliMagic
All are per gallon. All are on the GH website as is yours. Are you going by the Simple Drain to Waste schedule for GH Flora 3 part? Here is the schedule

WJ

and you said I should use no more than half schedule because of LED Lights.
So thats what Ill do this evening.

and you said I should use no more than half schedule because of LED Lights.
So thats what Ill do this evening.

Most LED info says 1/2 strength. I was saying it because you think you are having a burn problem. You can give full strength if you feel they could take it. If you have been using a less than full strength I wouldn't jump up to full strength, I'd use 50% more and see what that does, only takes a couple days. Then if no burn add the rest to full strength. If you have been using full strength, just go with it. I think, for me, the important things are ph and temp. get yourself an aquarium thermometer. It can be one of those glass ones that float in the water and have a suction cup to stick to the glass. You can get one at Wally World for $3.
For my DWC I used the LUCAS formula. Just used FloraNova Bloom. Nothing else. It worked well enough to get that cola.
Remember PH and Temp.

WJ

You plan on changing the nutrients on a regular schedule right? That would be Drain to waste. Ebb and Flow would be more like recirculating system. Your system is more like a DWC except for the drip ring and one large reservoir and each bucket has a smaller reservoir. As I understand it.
WJ

Actually my intent is to not to have to drain and change my nutes.
I've always just keep filling with new solution as needed ..Then maybe change after 3 weeks and again at flowering change or week after.

The only reason im draining and changing is to get them to be growing normally instead of slow.

Ive doubled my nute strength to about half strength from 1/4 strength only on the one plant.
Looking at the whole plant showed all the fan leaves with that same effect.. Is is possible at all that, that damage is CO2 Poisoning?
I have an ozone generator in the cabinet pointed into the exhaust fan for odor control.

Well, on with the show. :morenutes:

Last night I checked the PH of the reservoir and it was still up at about 6.8.
So I knew it needed adjusting.
It was full of solution so I couldn't add anymore adjusted water, so I drained it and was just going to adjust it and return it back to the reservoir. Well I, in true fashion effed it up and went too low with the PH Down...didn't really need very much at all to get to 5.8 apparently because I over shot it down to 4.5 and then,I dumped it.
Started fresh again.
I adjusted ph and got it right to 5.8
Filled the farm back up and kept an eye on it.
Decided to check it's ph again and it was still right at 5.8. Granted its only be 3 hours.

My PH meter I store with the electrode submersed in the 4.01 Calibration solution.
I noticed the PH on it was up to 4.2 so I tried adjusting it back down to 4.0, and it wouldn't adjust any lower.
I looked for the 10.0 calibration solution and couldn't find it anywhere, so I used the 7.0 Reference and buffer solution.
It was at 7.4 So I adjusted it down to 7 and readjusted the 4.2 back to 4.0.

So I drained and redid the solution yet again and filled the plants' farm. I adjusted the PPM levels back down also to the 350 @.5 PPM

I'm hoping that the calibration makes a big difference.
I need to find the 10.0 cal solution though.
But for now I hope to just :Namaste:

:peace:

I also ordered me some rapidstart and calimagic .Should have by weds.
The rapidstart is probably too late but the calimagic I can still benifit from Id imagine.

Looking at these plants...do they show any sign of nute burn (Like the leaves on the top left plant curled up)?
Bottom left plant is showing a lot of underside of leaves...thats because i'm attempting to bend them.

Everything I've read seems to indicate to use a lot stronger nutes than what I've been using.
GH Flora chart shows to 10ml gro,7.5ml Micro, 2.5ml Bloom per gallon.(I calling this week 2 of growth for nute purposes).
Ive been using about that much per 4 gallons to keep it mild. When I have tried for the last couple of decades :thumb: of growing (not great yields), It always seemed to burn when I put nutrients up too much higher.
But maybe I've always mis read it as burn when it might be a def.
The bottom left plant looks fairly dark and not short of any nutes (Cept slow growth).

I debating draining and refilling the one plant that has the leaf showing a def with a GH Recommended level of per gallon.
That will be like 4 times stronger than what it is now. Dont know if that would kill a plant or what...

WJ and KJC what do you guys think?

0011913.JPG

I would increase your nutrient strength by 1/4 strength adjustments as a time until you just see the beginnings of nutrient burn on the tips of your fan leaves then slightly reduce your nutrient strength. Plants grown under LED light panels have higher requirements for calcium and magnesium. Plants grown under LED light panels require less nutrients then plants grown under Metal Halide lights and High Pressure Sodium lights and require less nutrient strength. I recommend you try a 50% recommended strength nutrient solution and see how your plants react. I would use a calcium and magnesium supplement at full strength.

Actually my intent is to not to have to drain and change my nutes.
I've always just keep filling with new solution as needed ..Then maybe change after 3 weeks and again at flowering change or week after.

The only reason im draining and changing is to get them to be growing normally instead of slow.

Ive doubled my nute strength to about half strength from 1/4 strength only on the one plant.
Looking at the whole plant showed all the fan leaves with that same effect.. Is is possible at all that, that damage is CO2 Poisoning?
I have an ozone generator in the cabinet pointed into the exhaust fan for odor control.

When growing in hydroponic systems your nutrient solution should be changed every 7-10 days for the best plant growth. The only Grow Journal I have ever seen someone grow in a hydroponic system and not change their nutrients regularly resulted in all his plants developing Hermaphrodite male pollen sacks and the person abandoned his Grow Journal.

I also ordered me some rapidstart and calimagic .Should have by weds.
The rapidstart is probably too late but the calimagic I can still benifit from Id imagine.

Yea, that RapidStart will be there when you need it on your next grow. Just don't forget you have it. It does make those roots grow.

I agree with KingJohnC and he has helped me too. The CaliMagic is definitely needed in an LED grow. I use 5ml (1 tsp) per gallon of that. And try to keep the ph in the zone. Calcium and Magnesium is necessary for good growth under LED. I have tomatoes in a recycling Hempy style grow outside and I use about 5ml per gallon, and my reservoirs ar 40 gallon and 10 gallon. I go through a lot of CaliMagic and Epsom Salt and my tomatoes are great. No blossom end rot which is from low calcium. Used to get tons of bad tomatoes in years past. This year I started CaliMagic and it worked great. That will do the same with your blossoms, lots of flowers.

It really is amazing how much little things affect our girls.

WJ

I got home today and looked at the youngest plant and it hasn't budged in the last 2 or 3 days.
Very aggravated. Wish I had some buds.

I also Received a quart size bottle of CALMAG...not CaliMagic.
I had ordered this before I found the CaliMagic.

So Because that one plant won't budge...I drained it yet again, and this I filled it with PH balanced well water.
I decided I will add the CalMag, so I did at 2.5ml per gallon.

Part of the reason could also be that Im stressing the plant by draining it and refilling it because I can't get the new water at the same temp as the existing water.
Today I was able to get it to within 1 degree.
So I added this and now I'm not going to not touch that plant for a few days and see if it grows,does nothing or sends me to a mental Hospital babbling.

CalMag will work. I just like to stay with GH stuff. I have a drip constantly going. I add more nutes every day. About a gallon per day, my girl is drinking all that liquid. Draining and refilling might be stressful, but I think your plants will get through it. I mix two gallons of nutes every other day. She takes them all. Her fan leaf tips are brown. Little bits of brown on each tip. The PPMs are 890 and my faucet water is 61 PPM. Some things aren't to worry about. Most growers, newbie's especially, can see the little bit of burn. Most slowly get up to where they see the little burn and back off a fartskin. I haven't backed off because she is drinking everything, water and nutes. Naturally that's just me. I wouldn't tell you or anyone else to get the burn on. But the little brown on her leaves isn't more than three of the periods at the end of this sentence. Not a large amount. So not a worry for me.

You have a good question in your signature. You should think about it and calm yourself and just watch her. They'll start going strong before you realize it. Keep the ph in the zone and use that CalMag and keep the temp in your reservoirs below 75, rezs in every bucket not just your large one. Keep uploading photos for everybody to give advice. This is the best place for it. As I said, I am a newbie too and I am only giving you the advice and answers that I have been given by others on 420 and what I have learned by errors I have personally made. Just think positive. AND... Is it slow growing or am I looking too often?

WJ

CalMag will work. I just like to stay with GH stuff. I have a drip constantly going. I add more nutes every day. About a gallon per day, my girl is drinking all that liquid. Draining and refilling might be stressful, but I think your plants will get through it. I mix two gallons of nutes every other day. She takes them all. Her fan leaf tips are brown. Little bits of brown on each tip. The PPMs are 890 and my faucet water is 61 PPM. Some things aren't to worry about. Most growers, newbie's especially, can see the little bit of burn. Most slowly get up to where they see the little burn and back off a fartskin. I haven't backed off because she is drinking everything, water and nutes. Naturally that's just me. I wouldn't tell you or anyone else to get the burn on. But the little brown on her leaves isn't more than three of the periods at the end of this sentence. Not a large amount. So not a worry for me.

You have a good question in your signature. You should think about it and calm yourself and just watch her. They'll start going strong before you realize it. Keep the ph in the zone and use that CalMag and keep the temp in your reservoirs below 75, rezs in every bucket not just your large one. Keep uploading photos for everybody to give advice. This is the best place for it. As I said, I am a newbie too and I am only giving you the advice and answers that I have been given by others on 420 and what I have learned by errors I have personally made. Just think positive. AND... Is it slow growing or am I looking too often?
WJ

Thanks for the Kind words and advice.
After I posted my last I plucked a few more leaves of the plants, including the 4 fan leaves on the Crystal Queen that showed the deficiency.
I quick dried them up and smoked em. They are getting a little stronger, not much but noticeable.

The girls have been going really slow for the whole trip, so it would seem. I know i've had much bigger plants at 35 days than what I have now. I know Ive switched over with 2 1/2 ft plants at a month and a half.

I have grown crops many times before, but never really have had good yields except my first crop which was hugh and a eff up that Really recovered.
I'm still a newbie.
I have never adjusted PH..hell I never even checked it before.

Over that time I learned never to go higher than about 2.5ml per gal
and my tips were always white or brown..mostly white.
Thats why I'm weary about going higher than 2.5ml.

On this crop when I adjusted the nutes to the 450 PPM @.5 (is that 900 PPM?) the tips of the Crystal Queen did start showing white tips.
Thats why I backed back down to the 350 PPM@.5
But since there wasn't even a smidge of growth since yesterday..that's when I decided no nutes for a bit.
(Of course I had to try the CalMag though).

When growing in hydroponic systems your nutrient solution should be changed every 7-10 days for the best plant growth. The only Grow Journal I have ever seen someone grow in a hydroponic system and not change their nutrients regularly resulted in all his plants developing Hermaphrodite male pollen sacks and the person abandoned his Grow Journal.

Thats what I will be doing once I get a handle on them.

Thanks for the Kind words and advice.
After I posted my last I plucked a few more leaves of the plants, including the 4 fan leaves on the Crystal Queen that showed the deficiency.
I quick dried them up and smoked em. They are getting a little stronger, not much but noticeable.

The girls have been going really slow for the whole trip, so it would seem. I know i've had much bigger plants at 35 days than what I have now. I know Ive switched over with 2 1/2 ft plants at a month and a half.

I have grown crops many times before, but never really have had good yields except my first crop which was hugh and a eff up that Really recovered.
I'm still a newbie.
I have never adjusted PH..hell I never even checked it before.

Over that time I learned never to go higher than about 2.5ml per gal
and my tips were always white or brown..mostly white.
Thats why I'm weary about going higher than 2.5ml.

On this crop when I adjusted the nutes to the 450 PPM @.5 (is that 900 PPM?) the tips of the Crystal Queen did start showing white tips.
Thats why I backed back down to the 350 PPM@.5
But since there wasn't even a smidge of growth since yesterday..that's when I decided no nutes for a bit.
(Of course I had to try the CalMag though).

First off, when you say 350 PPM @ .5, I think the .5 is the conversion number that your meter uses to come up with the PPM from the EC. In Europe, for the most part, their meters are EC meters and in the good ole they are PPM. My meter is also a .5 type of PPM meter.

Have you been able to get to Wa Lmart to get an aquarium thermometer? Got to know the Nute temp and keep it under 75 degrees.

Were your previous grows in GH WaterFarm?

WJ

First off, when you say 350 PPM @ .5, I think the .5 is the conversion number that your meter uses to come up with the PPM from the EC. In Europe, for the most part, their meters are EC meters and in the good ole they are PPM. My meter is also a .5 type of PPM meter.

Have you been able to get to Wa Lmart to get an aquarium thermometer? Got to know the Nute temp and keep it under 75 degrees.

Were your previous grows in GH WaterFarm?

WJ

No not yet, gotta wait till payday..even for 3 bucks :yikes:
Ive been using the thermometer on my TDS Meter. I dump a little in a cup from the Waterfarm and measure that..
then I try to hit that temp with the tap.

My temps have been running 72ish for the last week or so, dont know b4 that.

My Previous grows were all using waterfarms. I used to only use 2. But Since I stumbled on this site it ignited a spark in me to want to do it better. So I ordered a few more Waterfarms,the LED light and some higher quality seeds. And PH and EC meter.

:wood: I will ready to cut a few clones from my Lemon G Regular. Its growing fairly well..most out of all of them.
I will be using colliodial Silver on some cuttings to get me some pollen.
I have a question on that... How do I prep my Hydroton so as to minimize PH spiking?

And for all the help you have been giving me all I can say is :thanks: :thanks: :thanks: :thanks: AND :welldone: :welldone:

Rinse the hell out of that hydroton. After I did that for about 50 gallons I put 5 gallons of ph'd water through. That's how I did it. Don't know how others do it. I don't use hydroton anymore and don't do DWC either. I am growing Hempy technique.

I'll tell you about my TDS meter. The temp was off by 7 - 9 degrees. Sent it back under warranty. The new one I can't calibrate to the 342 ppm solution. So much for technology.

I have all the stuff to make the Colloidal Silver to make some feminized seeds next grow. It'll be Fast and Vast by Heavyweight Seeds, and it's an auto. Check it out at a seed bank you know. They have it at Barnies.

Epilepsy causing grief, got to get off computer. More tomorrow. Keep up the good wait.

WJ

Feel Better!

GC

Feel Better!

GC

Thanks my friend.

How do your plants look today? See any better growth? Mine is nearing harvest. I don't see very well but I remembered I bought a loupe a month ago so I got it out and looked and I saw trichomes. So I think I have a week to 10 days. Then a month of drying and curing. I removed a few fan leaves to make light get further down to buds hidden. I'll try those leaves tomorrow in your honor.

WJ

Back
Top Bottom