First LED Grow Ever

re: First LED Grow Ever

Hello mrrobert420, I got caught back up on your journal. Sorry for your loss on the one with root rot. I have a couple of questions and want to mention a few things to you. I read your whole journal (i believe) and didnt see to much on the subject root rot. I battled it and im a newbie but know a lot on the subject and what works. First concern i see is the clone you have Private Reserve looks to have root rot at this point also. The first thing a lot of people say is to drop your temps to 68 degrees and you will not have root rot. This is not true. Although you are less likely to get root rot because the pathogens cant breed in lower temp water, you can still get root rot. In fact i read a few articles that state water temps have no affect on the actual root rot but it does help on slime. Apparently they are 2 different subjects

Now i had it at the beginning of my DWC grow and had to do something fast. Now there are 2 ways ive heard of to get rid of it but i can confirm the one that does work. I use aquashield in my reservoir and it cleared mine up and i have not had it again. This is the first and easiest and cheapest way. If you have it really bad there is a "tea" that you can brew and there is a thread on it. It does contain aquashield and a lot of other good bacteria's that eat away and feed on root rot. I dont know if you are running any "beanies" (beneficiary bacteria) in your reservoir but i would recommend it so it will clear your plants up and you wont have to worry about it any more. And you dont have to worry about that frozen bottles.

The other method is running bleach in your reservoirs but i have not tested this and would not recommend running bleach or any h202 (peroxide) in your reservoirs. This will kill the good and bad bacteria and as soon as you stop it will show right back up.

My res temps range from 74-82 degrees..... I just did a res change after 15 days lol... and its clear as it can be.

I hope this helps you or give you some insight. I researched days about root rot and can confirm this method. You have a lot of nice equipment!! Keep em green. If anyone disagrees with me or can add anything please do. Im learning day by day.

:thumb::goodjob:

Also does your towel not get wet from covering up your reservoir holes? My bubbler pops water everywhere!

Hey nitro - Good Information THANK YOU :thanks: + reps - I am using hydrogaurd now, i was using h202 until i found out not to lol. now when you talk about beneficial bacteria are you referring to the aquashield or aquashield type products in general or is there something else you add? Would you consider hydrogaurd the same thing (i thought it was, something about a name change?)

And if it is the same, are saying you have no issues with root rot by only adding aquashield.

I WOULD LOVE TO NOT HAVE TO PUT IN WATER BOTTLES!!!! lol I HATE it with a passion. Even if i have nothing to do i don't ever feel like doing it haha.

Thanks for the comments - I greatly appreciate it!!

Yes my towel does get a little damp (not soaked). Depends on how high my water level is lol. I am sure the towel is soaking some nutes when tiny drops pop up to it but not sure if its enough to matter?

Also i didn't talk about root rot hardly at all as i was still building, tending, plus i own 2 pretty good size businesses that had big changes these last 2 weeks so it was hard to get online. That's all over now and i'm back !!

Damn man I really like your setup but I also think its too complex :) haven't had the chance to read your journal thoroughly but I feel as if my setup is stone aged when compared to yours :D

Thanks Velomania, It is complex, but i am very tech oriented so i do enjoy it. Unfortunately i have no idea what im doing hahaha. Ok well i do a little but its day by day lol. Reading only gets you so far. Cant buy experience lol.

Tough luck with the plants, the closets definitely have a learning curve. I've been very lucky so far and only lost 1 crop due to a timer issue. Like you said, its a learning experience.
Looking forward to more updates.;)

Thank you!!! Now i heard the same that hydroguard is the same but i thought they didnt make it anymore? Keep in mind aquashield only last 1 year after ship date. So you may want to look into it? Make sure its not expired or anything. Aquashield is derived from Composted Poultry litter. beneficial bacteria im refering to any "good" bacteria like aquashield. It eats the bad bacteria aka rot.

Thats correct for my issue with root rot (i caught it at the early stages) aquashield cured and has kept the rot away. You should not have any root rot using the aquashield. If the rot continues or gets worse thats when they recommend the "tea". It has aquashield and a lot of other beneficial bacteria. Its a lot stronger dosage of bacteria... Its ok to always run the tea if you want and you for sure wont have any problems.. Its just more steps and more products to do this with.... So i stick to just my aquashield. You can search "dwc tea" in google and there's a bunch of info on it. The first result is the one i will make if needed.

Yea i was wondering about the towel. As long as its not really effecting anything. I would just be scared i would come back and my res would be empty and soaked up in towel lol...

:thumb:

Hey nitro one more question. I actually looked at when I took that pic of the roots and it was the day after it was taken from the cup of soil and placed in the reservoir, after rinsing appropriately of course. I also had hydrogaurd in right away with the fresh nute mix. Do you think it's just some color from the dirt and not root rot already ?

Temp has been 68, with beanies and no light?

I had a question regarding Sierra naturals vs mighty wash. Any one have opinions on one vs the other and why. Also please specify either way used in veg or flower.

Water Change on the Blue dream last nights. Nute mix in the middle.
IMG_028337.JPG

All the nutes I use in order from top left to bottom.
IMG_028432.JPG

Expert series chart - I am on week 5
IMG_028532.JPG

Calculations based on 15 gallons - Will clean it up and type it out once I have all weeks calculated
IMG_028638.JPG

Emptying buckets..........boring lol......zzzzzzzzzzz
IMG_028736.JPG

And a great pic - My favorite of the evening - I noticed my very first sign of resin production ever !!!!!
IMG_028930.JPG
IMG_0290.PNG

I didn't realize that it was a soil clone. It could possibly be that. I cant really see it very well but as long as its not a "slime" brown.

So i have a few concerns about your grow and how things are looking. Ive noticed you have a lot of products and nutes you are using. What is your PPM and what day into flowering are you and what flowering day was your first signs of pistols?

Ive been looking and looking at your pics from yesterday and im seeing a few problems. It looks like you for sure have nute burn. All your fan leaves are "clawing" and burnt leaves and burnt tips on all leaves. This means to many PPM in your reservoir. Your MAX temp is not over 86 degrees so they shouldnt be heat stressed to much as long as you have air moving.

What are you using for a cal/mag supplement? It looks like you have a cal/mag deficiency thats why the lower growth is dying and those burnt spots. If you are using RO water you for sure have to have cal/mag because the water contains none. I use the botanicare cal/mag myself. You are not spraying them with anything are you?

Also what is your pH of your reservoir? Im seeing a few deficiencies that you will need to take care of for your grow to be successful.

Keep in mind even though u have a feeding chart for your nutes, mixed with a lot of other products it can rise your PPM to a unsafe level and burn your plants. You can see the size of my plant and im only at 850 ppm in my reservoir with every thing. Every strain is different.

Sorry i know its a lot of questions but im trying to cover everything!!

Your buds are looking good! Pretty trichomes! You can up the Trichome production if you drop your RH to 30-35%. Some people drop it around the last 2 weeks or so before harvest. I might start dropping mine soon. I still have about 4-5 weeks left.

Hey Nitro - :) Thanks for the attentiveness on my grow :)

I am on day 21 of flower - I saw pistols probly 2 -2.5 weeks ago?

My PPMs right now after this last nute change are 995 ( expert series charts states should be 1100-1300 at this time, didnt want to go that high )

All the plants looked beautiful with NO discoloration until i decided to spray the "soap" all over them lol ooooops - After that (with in 10 hours) i got all the discoloring. Since then i have not seen any more leaves discolor and all new growth has no discoloring. just wanted to make sure you read the part where i destroyed them....... I really am just keeping them because they seem to still be flowering and still stretching. But yes i destroyed the bottoms of them. I already cut off everything that was really really destroyed and left the leaves that still looked they could provide some energy ( which is where i think your seeing the deficiency looking leaves ) even though they were mangled and discolored from the soap extravaganza lol. it really did a number over night!

All the nutes i am using (except the hydrogaurd of course) are all from the Expert series nute regimen from GH. I do not add any other products than what it calls for. I went this way as i know 2 other growers who use this regimen and they highly recommended it. Do you think its too much even though this is from a highly reputable and well known company? Wouldn't be surprised, but what a bummer if GH is setting me up like that. :reading420magazine::reading420magazine::reading420magazine::roorrip:

oh and i am also not using a sprays either, or cal mag supp. I have been trusting GH that thier top of the line product regimen shouldn't need anything else? maybe i'm mistaken?

and yes i use RO/DI :)

Hi Robert.:ciao:

Good updates, I'm using pretty much the same series as you for nutes minus a couple of products (flora diamond, the tea, and 1 other). The way I mix my nutes is pretty simple, and has been working for my last 3 harvests in my Trinity closets. I use very similar bottles/jugs of water to refill and drain the reservoirs. What I do is follow the nutrient directions for 5 gals of water (one of those jugs) using the recipe chart you posted, and that's it!! That's how I measure out my 1/3 strength when I change the reservoirs, One 5 gal jug at regular strength, and the other two jugs plain water. It hasn't failed yet.
I find that because the roots are dangling in the nutrient rich water, you don't have to feed a lot of nutrients. The plants will absorb whats needed from the water, and in my past grows this seems to be almost the perfect amount to feed.

This is how feeding and PPM's were explained to me, and it help me to understand how to read the PPM's better.....

First scenario. When your fill your reservoirs with fresh water and nutrients, note the PPM's. A day or two later you'll notice the water lvls are down, but the PPM's are still the same as when you changed the reservoirs. This is what you want and means the plants are taking nutrients and water in equal amounts for optimal growth.

Second scenario is going back 2 days later and water lvl is down but the nutrient PPM is higher then when you changed out the reservoir. This means you over fed the plants and they are drinking more water than taking in nutrients. Try cutting back on the nutes by 10-15%.

Third scenario is underfeeding but the plant will show signs of deficiencies and can be fixed with a little TLC. Its much easier to raise the nutrients a little on a deficient plant to bring it back to health than overfeeding a plant and burning the roots or leaves.

Hope this helps.:thumb:

No problem! Im just a newbie trying to help out lol... I love to see these beautiful plants grow. :high-five:

Ohhhh maybe thats it then sorry i missed where you sprayed them and caused damage. I can look at your plants and tell they are still getting nute burn though. Maybe someone else can give some input as im a newbie also lol... I am seeing clawing on your plants and also the top growth. This indicates the nutes are to high from what ive read. If the tips were burnt from before they wont recover so maybe thats what im seeing along with the clawing. Clawing is the first signs of nute burn.

And no no i dont mean its a bad combo or anything. Im just saying that since your plants are smaller maybe you should 3/4 the recommended dosage per gallon or something. I usually go by PPM and not really what the charts say. But thats just what works best for me. I follow the simple and basic PPM chart:

Seedling to veg no nutes needed

Early Vegging 300 to 400

Full Vegetation 450 to 700

Early Blooming 750 to 950

Full Mature Blooms 1000 to 1600

I havent made it to the Full mature bloom stage yet.

That line up of nutes and supplements look awesome and ive heard great things about them! Just suggesting that if you see signs of nute burn you will have to lower the ppm or they will continue to burn.

Is any of those supplements a cal/mag supplement from GH? Ive never used them but you might already have a supplement that has cal/mag in it from GH?

What is your pH level in your reservoir?

Hi Robert.:ciao:

Good updates, I'm using pretty much the same series as you for nutes minus a couple of products (flora diamond, the tea, and 1 other). The way I mix my nutes is pretty simple, and has been working for my last 3 harvests in my Trinity closets. I use very similar bottles/jugs of water to refill and drain the reservoirs. What I do is follow the nutrient directions for 5 gals of water (one of those jugs) using the recipe chart you posted, and that's it!! That's how I measure out my 1/3 strength when I change the reservoirs, One 5 gal jug at regular strength, and the other two jugs plain water. It hasn't failed yet.
I find that because the roots are dangling in the nutrient rich water, you don't have to feed a lot of nutrients. The plants will absorb whats needed from the water, and in my past grows this seems to be almost the perfect amount to feed.

When your fill your reservoirs with fresh water and nutrients, note the PPM's. A day or two later you'll notice the water lvls are down, but the PPM's are still the same as when you changed the reservoirs. This is what you want and means the plants are taking nutrients and water in equal amounts for optimal growth.

Second scenario is going back 2 days later and water lvl is down but the nutrient PPM is higher then when you changed out the reservoir. This means you over fed the plants and they are drinking more water than taking in nutrients. Try cutting back on the nutes by 10-15%.

Third scenario is underfeeding but the plant will show signs of deficiencies and can be fixed with a little TLC. Its much easier to raise the nutrients a little on a deficient plant to bring it back to health than overfeeding a plant and burning the roots or leaves.

Hope this helps.:thumb:

Thanks stealth! ooooooo I like that!!!! Much easier than figuring it out mathematically lol. Would you know an answer the nitro question? Not sure which GH product is considered the cal/mag supplement lol. Still learning lol. I would assume one of them is? When is your new journal coming up :) I miss your updates lol hahaha

No problem! Im just a newbie trying to help out lol... I love to see these beautiful plants grow. :high-five:

Ohhhh maybe thats it then sorry i missed where you sprayed them and caused damage. I can look at your plants and tell they are still getting nute burn though. Maybe someone else can give some input as im a newbie also lol... I am seeing clawing on your plants and also the top growth. This indicates the nutes are to high from what ive read. If the tips were burnt from before they wont recover so maybe thats what im seeing along with the clawing. Clawing is the first signs of nute burn.

And no no i dont mean its a bad combo or anything. Im just saying that since your plants are smaller maybe you should 3/4 the recommended dosage per gallon or something. I usually go by PPM and not really what the charts say. But thats just what works best for me. I follow the simple and basic PPM chart:

Seedling to veg no nutes needed

Early Vegging 300 to 400

Full Vegetation 450 to 700

Early Blooming 750 to 950

Full Mature Blooms 1000 to 1600

I havent made it to the Full mature bloom stage yet.

That line up of nutes and supplements look awesome and ive heard great things about them! Just suggesting that if you see signs of nute burn you will have to lower the ppm or they will continue to burn.

Is any of those supplements a cal/mag supplement from GH? Ive never used them but you might already have a supplement that has cal/mag in it from GH?

What is your pH level in your reservoir?

My PH last night was 5.9. Wish i had the PH meter for my computer but they are pricey at 250 a piece. Hand held digital will have to do for now. Would be great to graph it though. I usually start it at 5.5 cuz my PH always raises over the week and never lowers so i let it creep all the way to 6.2 then i bring it back to 5.5 again and start do the same again so i don't block anything out high or low.

Thanks for the tip on the clawing. I did notice the clawing the day after i destroyed them also i figured it was part of that issue. Maybe i will lower it on the next nute change. The way stealthgrow said and reduce by 25% (thanks stealth) - They really loved the nute ratio maxed out for weeks before the soap but I would hate to cause even more problems lol

better safe then sorry

Subscribed reading thread now to catch up..

Awesome, I have some great people following my thread too maybe they can come over and help you out also. Check out his grow guys!! New grower hydro and soil at once!!!! I thought I was taking the plunge lol

If your using R/O water you should be adding a Cal/Mag supplement. There is Cal/Mag in the base nutes but probably not enough if your running R/O water. I didn't notice any deficiencies in your pics before the major issue though.

If your using R/O water you should be adding a Cal/Mag supplement. There is Cal/Mag in the base nutes but probably not enough if your running R/O water. I didn't notice any deficiencies in your pics before the major issue though.

what are you using for cal mag sup? since you use GH also.....

Back
Top Bottom