First Legal Grow in Colorado

RckyMtnHigh

Hello everyone,
My friend and I are converting a unfinished basement bathroom into a grow room. The room is about 5 feet wide and 10 feet long. We have partitioned the bathtub area into a veg room and are planning on using the remaining area to flower. We have 4x 4 foot florescent lights, a 400w MH, and a 1000w HPS. The temp hovers around 65 (with no lights) and humidity is at 40%. We've also purchased mylar and painted the room white.
Currently, we're waiting on the seeds we purchased to be delivered and plan on getting started right away once they arrive. I will upload pictures later.

For now my question is which size pots should I buy for flowering? I've seen dispensaries use 30 gallon yet I have friends who grow with as small as 5 gallon. Any opinions? For height we are limited to about 4 and a half feet, is this my biggest limiting factor?

Thanks

Pot size depends on how big the plant is , if you are limited on height try using scrog , I have a 4x4x7 foot tent and I am using 5 gallon buckets which will handle a 5-6 foot plant. Look forward to your grow.

I'm not a soil grower but 5gal I'm sure will be fine. 30 gal would need a fork lift wouldn't it?!

I'll second the scrog suggestion- if you've got limited height it's the way to go and it maximises your space

I'm not a soil grower but 5gal I'm sure will be fine. 30 gal would need a fork lift wouldn't it?!

Probably would weigh a ton. But the set up I saw used wooden bases set on caster wheels so you could roll them around if needed.

On another subject. I have 60 seeds coming with 3 strains. Based on the size of the room, etc. I was planning on germinating all of them at once. Is this the best way to go or should I start a smaller number and then clone them? I'm assuming this room could support about 15 plants if I use 5 gallon pots (though I could be wrong.) so I'd guess that 60 seeds would yield maybe 10-15 healthy female plants.

And thanks for the pointer to SCROG. Looks easy enough and well worth the effort.

60 seems a lot! It's a 50:50 ratio male:female so you may get 30 females. And you'll have to germ, veg, and flower 60 plants to find the ladies. Might be easier to do a few less, find a good'un and clone her

No way I want 60 plants! It sounds like 10 seeds would be more than enough, so I'll go with that. We can only flower 6 plants between the 2 of us and grow a total of 12, so I need to be cautious.
God I Love Colorado!!!!

If we see which plants do the best and then clone the crap out of them it sounds like that's the way to go. But I guess we need to add another few weeks onto our schedule. Such is life.

Plus... I do know and appreciate the fact that many of these questions have been asked and answered already on this site and others. While I've spent many hours researching, I still have a few holes in my knowledge and seriously appreciate your input.

In return I'll pledge to keep you posted on my every progress and try to pay the information forward.

Like this...

What size pots is he using?
Here's a better shot of his grow room.

What size bulbs are those?

etc....

Yeah, I couldn't believe it when I heard they were going to allow weed in Colorado. I wish the rest of the world would catch up!

I'm not sure from the pictures what size pots and lights he's using I'm sorry (I couldn't get the clip to play for some reason). It looks like he's using totes about 5 to 10 gal in size. Lights again is a guess but as he's got one per plant and judging from the size of the plants and distance from the light I'm thinking they might be 400w - 600w hps. I don't think they're 1kw each but I could be wrong.

Once you've found a strain and phenotype you want to keep its dead easy taking a load of clones, and the big advantage (particularly if you do a scrog) is they'll all behave exactly the same way in terms of size, stretch etc.
You can germ your seeds and just before flowering take a few clones of each plant (don't forget to label them well), flower the plants, pull out any males, and then once you've found the best performing plant you've already got a few clones ready for the next grow or for further cloning.

Don't worry about the questions - that's what this forum's for!

You have a great space to work with buddy. I'm way too baked to suggest anything setup-related right now. I do want to suggest, however, that you give this a lot of thought and think of all the possibilities you have. What are your goals? This will pretty much dictate a lot of setup-related stuff. There's tons of different methods and techniques you can utilize with a space like that :thumb:
I'll try to make more sense tomorrow after I get some much needed sleep :).

PS: I'm so jealous! I'm really proud of our brothers and sisters in colorado who went out there, voted, and made it happen. With washington, I hope you guys trigger a long awaited chain reaction across the country. People need to realize how ridiculous prohibition is, and IT HAS BEGUN! :) LOL

That's a very good point iSmokes. You could pull a massive amount of bud from a 50sq ft space if you wanted to, even if you're only allowed to flower 6 plants legally. It's worth investing the time and money to get the sep up as spot on as possible

I do want to suggest, however, that you give this a lot of thought and think of all the possibilities you have. What are your goals? This will pretty much dictate a lot of setup-related stuff. There's tons of different methods and techniques you can utilize with a space like that :thumb:

Great question... My goal is to prove that I can produce dank, sticky, kind-buds (err I mean tomatoes lol) Yield is important to me but not the primary goal as I feel like I can dial that in later.

Monday we plan on doing the physical set up of the actual room, laying visqueen and wood on the floor for drainage, light partitions and mylar, fans, hanging lights and so on. Once we're done I'll upload pics so you guys can have a look and suggest any alterations or upgrades. We also plan on using this time to dial in our temps with the lights running full scale for a day or two without any plants.

Still no plans for CO2. I have several weeks before the plants would need it but maybe I can get some feedback on how important you guys think that is and what the best cost-effective solution would be.

I don't know a great deal about co2 I'm sorry but Jon705 and Tony Sussans would be able to help I'm sure as they're both running sealed rooms with co2. If you have good extraction and can draw a lot of fresh air into the room then you can produce excellent results without it as there's enough co2 in the air naturally, but it does definitely give things a boost.
Co2 could be expensive depending on your temps and other factors - you may have to get air conditioning for instance.

Are you set on soil or have you thought about hydro. I'm a massive fan of hydro and I'd say that it's definitely the way to go and would be lower maintenance overall, but I am massively biased!

And thank you for the reps mate, much appreciated

C02 Tanks are pretty slick but we're talking about $150 or so plus refills which need to be done every few weeks at $60. However, I've heard of using tonic water in your spray bottle as one way to go and (my favorite) is simply to take a few 2 liter bottles with 1/2 sugar and 1/2 water and add yeast. Not only will it release C02, but you'll have grain alcohol in no time lol. But I just don't know if any of these cheaper solutions are adequate.

CO2 is not something you simply decide to add brother. To utilize it properly, your whole setup should be CO2 based. i.e. Sealed Room.
There's so many things I want to share but I don't know where to start. You can grow sticky dank in many many ways :). The more info you share, the more advice you can get (from everybody).

The set up is coming along well. Been testing the temps and humidity with all the lights set up and its all within the ranges we'd expect so far. Just need some beans. I've also been trolling the journals of most of you guys who've replied so far. Cool stuff.
I'll post again when I have more to report... Hopefully soon.

Still no word on the seeds but I bought them off a banner I found on this site so I can only assume its just a matter of days now. I seriously can't wait to show off some sprouts. They have a great little room waiting for them with plenty of TLC on the way.
:morenutes:

BTW, We took a lot more pics but the damn mylar makes it hard to shoot in there while its so empty. Its like a fun house room of mirrors. lol

Back
Top Bottom