First Solo Grow - DWC Kosher Kush

Girls are looking great AP. Yes, res changes are wonderful for the gals. They get a nice boost of oxygen to the roots I guess and love it.

I'm subbed and looking forward to following along. I just flipped 4 Kosher Kush into flower yesterday myself.

You gonna make another grow / flower journal of your KK ladies ? :cheer:

Now that you mentioned that it seems so obvious yet completely slipped my mind !

At the moment I've still got a 200w CFL as pictured on first pages; as used to grow the seedlings.... Is there any point in building some sort of holder to incorporate it in the middle of the plants at a lower level ?

I added cfl's in the corners of my tent to cover the outer most areas a few grows back before I got the raptor hood and could tell I wasnt getting the coverage. That being said, I think they actually create more heat than most people think for the small amount of benefit you're getting with so shallow of penetration from them. But they can help nonetheless. Just not sure it's ultimately worth it.

You gonna make another grow / flower journal of your KK ladies ? :cheer:

Ya I will. Sometime in the next few days after I process all the final pics from the current harvest I'll take some pics of the KK's in transition and start a journal. They're on day 1 of flower now and Holy Grail Kush (Kosher Kush x OG#18) was just put into dwc yesterday. Btw, they were put into dwc with roots just coming out of the root riot plugs, water level set to just barely into the net pot lids to bubble up and wick the cubes. Once roots dip into the water the level will be lowered.

I originally intended to have tent #2 going by now with 4 more in flower one month apart. I even bought a chiller 4 weeks ago for that tent. As it looks for the moment, I'm still at least a month from that. Shit happens.

Ideally I want to keep Kosher Kush going all the time, Master Kush as well, and if this HGK is as good as hoped, then I'll run all three on rotation or go with just the KK and HGK.

They look great AP. At 2.5 weeks, they could be done, but it depends on the strain. You have enough vertical space and it sounds like you're not using the max of your light's penetration. The only reason I would do any bending or defol to stop stretch would be to even up the canopy, but yours looks pretty even already! That's a nice setup you got there. I'm looking forward to seeing it full of fat buds. :yummy:

Hi Alpha, It sounds like your conditions are perfect so I would think it has something to do with either the chiller or the ph down you added directly to the res. You have to dilute it a bit(1 litre of water) it takes several hrs to blend in with the nute solution so it is very possible that they got a concentrated dose to the roots, it also has a bad effect on the nutes when you mix ph down directly to the res. did you notice any white clouds when you added the drops? Did you run a high concentration of h2o2 water through the chiller before you hooked it up? How long did it sit before you got it? There could of been mold or something in it.Get rid of the foil and pick up some panda film, cut your circles with a slit and place them white side up, this will reflect the light evenly and stop any algea from building up.the foil is a no no it will cause hotspots 100%.I personally have never used AN's base nutes before but ive read alot of mixed reviews about it so I stay away from it.up until my current grow I was a Gh flora guy, this round I switched to BPN's High Yield System and so far its hands down the most stable stuff Ive ever used. Shipping for me was $200 for the kit but the kit was only $140 for a total of $340. On average with Gh flora and all the addatives I used before each round was costing me well over $400 so even with shipping to Canada BPN is cheaper and so far imo better.Personally I would take the girls out of the system, dump a ton of h2o2 into the res and run it for a good hr. Drain everything and then dry everything to make sure you got all the h2o2 out of there and start over with a 1/4 strength solution for a bit and see what happens.You mentioned in your intro that you feel soil is more forgiving than hydro. I have to disagree with you there especially if your going organic, once the soils mixed you cant get the nutes out, with hydro its as simple as adding more water to dilute the solution.For something like this to happen this quickly it has to be caused by one of the recent changes you made.If your thermo is off and the water is colder than you think that could also cause problems quickly, I hope you figure it out im kinda stumped on this one. Im subbed up and will stop by from time to time to see how things are going.:goodluck:

This is why i use stainless cool coil to keep 3 res cool . Cool things about cool coil only need to run 1 chillers and chiller will never get build up or any nutes goes in ...
20130421_163903.jpg
20130421_191857.jpg

This is why i use stainless cool coil to keep 3 res cool . Cool things about cool coil only need to run 1 chillers and chiller will never get build up or any nutes goes in ...
20130421_163903.jpg
20130421_191857.jpg

The tubing looks cool, and the idea makes sense - but given im using small (when comapred to your big reservoir) buckets it would be more headache than necessary to implement!

But either way, I cant help thinking that thermo-efficiency will decrease, not to mention energy consumption will increase when adding varying lengths of tubing.... It sounds as if the chiller will almost have to be running 24/7 - as opposed to mine which only kicks itself on several times an hour for a couple minutes at a time...

AP

Grow room update:

Did some major defol yesterday and will try to upload some pics once i get some free time!
Now I know that opinions are split over the defoliation technique, but I do have to say that ALL my budsites are now receiving light, airflow has increased substantially - and thus also brought down my rh some 20%. The plants are still thriving and this should hopefully have brought an end to my early flower stretch period!

Having defoliated several times sicne the grow started I know that an abundance of leaf mass will soon come back, and judging by the amount and size of my budsites the plants didnt seem to midn shedding their leaves and growing new ones!

Anyway - will post some pics later!

AP

They look great AP. At 2.5 weeks, they could be done, but it depends on the strain. You have enough vertical space and it sounds like you're not using the max of your light's penetration. The only reason I would do any bending or defol to stop stretch would be to even up the canopy, but yours looks pretty even already! That's a nice setup you got there. I'm looking forward to seeing it full of fat buds. :yummy:

Hi Hiker - and thanks for the positive feedback :)

Re even canopy - yea most of it seems pretty good - nto sure how well you can make it out in the pics - only the back left girl is a little shorter than the others! Which is weird because at one point she was growing the fastest but then got a little bushy and slowed down in comparison to the others!

I did however do some major defol yesterday and have also done a couple of new bends to allow even light penetration!

Cant wait to see how these girls turn out! A buddy of mine had some Kosher Kush on him the other day - had to try a little sample and cant wait to see how mine compares !

Just trying to figure out if I should add some Bud Candy (AN) or not ?

Day 21 12/12: Update w/ Pictures.

Not much to say really:
-Did major Defol @ Day 20
-Been on 12/12 for 21 days now - probably day 16/17 of flower.
-Ambient Temps are running great; about 76@LightsOn, High 60's @LightsOff
-Water Temp Constant @ 65F
-RH Pre Defol:62%, After Defol @48%
-100% Reservoir Change - Every 7 days (Topped up with water as required)
-pH well dialled in: 5.55 on Day 0 of reservoir/nute change slooooowly riding up to 5.8x-5.90 by Day 7

I have overcome my fear of supercropping / bending and have implemented this (regrettably late) since around week 4 of Veg. The 4 girls spent ca. 5 (maybe 6 cant remember) weeks in veg from seed. I implemented my SCROG a little late; about 5 days before switchign to 12/12. But luckily the entire grid filled up very nicely within 5 days and I think it definitely helped control the stretch on these girls ! They have more than doubled in size (by the time they finish I anticipate them to be almost triple the size they were in veg) and have, on the whole, formed an almost even canopy.

Only the back left plant is a little less bushy/tall than the rest, but I attribute this to the reflector not attaining optimum light spread due to being restricted by the insulated venting. It has however done a good deal to catch up in growth with some tweaking - but I will possibly think about replacing it for a bigger version in my next grow. This will have to be at the cost of switching normal ducting into the place currently held by the insulated kind - But I think the extra noise will make minimal difference.

As stated above, I did major defol yesterday and took off A LOT of fan leaves. There are still plenty left, but light distribution now seems optimal and with a little bending I was able to lwoer the lights a good few inches! Having said that, they grew intensely close to the reflector glass screen - But i measured temps at about 1cm distance and they were still well below the 80F range!

The only question for all my fellow growers:
I currently have a 6 inch extract fan placed between carbon filter and light hood. As well as a 4inch intake fan - I can tell quite easily that I dont have negative pressure - its close; but no cigar! I am currently extracting the warm air out through the top of the tent and into my fireplace/chimney.

The 4 inch fan pulls in cold room air at the bottom. My temps are perfect for me at the moment but how important is it to achieve negative pressure ?
Would I be better off connecting the 4 inch fan outside the tent and acting as a 2nd extract fan (connected to same vent as current 6 inch but placed outside tent rather than inside) to achieve negative pressure ?
-------Would passive air intake be sufficient to control temps at same range as presently ?

In the meantime - here are some pics I snapped a few moments ago - Let me know what you think :)

IMGP0411.JPG
IMGP04121.JPG
IMGP0410.JPG
IMGP0414.JPG
IMGP0415.JPG
IMGP0413.JPG
IMGP04161.JPG

PS - Interested in yield guesses - Would be interesting to see how close people get to actual achieved yield once dry and cured :)

Until Next time - AlphaPrime

:Namaste:

Went to the local hydro store on the way home today and my buddy that works there gave me a couple of free sachets of "Shooting Powder" - the label says you can apparently get 20% gains - and my buddy backed this up by saying that ltos of customers are hyped over this product.... Anyone got any real life experience / results when using this ???

PS- Is it just me or does anyone else sometimes have annoying urges to look into the tent @ lights out period! I never actually do it but it really is a teasing wait !

AP

I've not used it, but I've seen lots of warnings about shooting powder being real strong. I guess it's easy to burn the plant if you use too much. Add it cautiously.

---Warning - Pic Heavy Update !---

So, not much to say really. The girls look like they are doing just fine. All vitals have been steady and I have just been enjoying seeing the girls starting to pack on some weight! I have no idea (well, maybe a vague one) of what size the buds will eventually reach - so every night @ lights on im always curious to see how they have progressed!

Apart from that nothing exciting has happened, I wish i had more space to start a second grow / keep a mother / make an aeroponic cloner - but sadly that is not on the agenda anytime too soon!

But here are some pics from day 25 in 12/12 to document the Kosher Kush progress:
IMGP0430.JPG
IMGP0429.JPG
IMGP0428.JPG
IMGP0427.JPG
IMGP0426.JPG
IMGP0425.JPG
IMGP0424.JPG
IMGP0423.JPG
IMGP0422.JPG

PS: I really must gain some camera skills haha !

Hope everyone is doing well and that those buds are reaqching for the stars ;)

AP

I need to have a little look in my diary later - but I think this is roughly day 35 or so of 12/12.

Everything looks like its going great and it has been pretty smooth sailing lately.
Environment vitals are spot on, not experiencing any notable pH fluctuations, neither am I getting temp or rh issues :)

Guess the work has paid off so far - buds are getting mega stinky, lots of oil/thc buildup and my arm is covered in the most delicious sticky fragrance when im working around the tent ! Wish I could pick off a bud now to smoke because the smell really is that good haha !

Well anyway, heres some pics - would love some feedback !

IMGP04611.JPG
IMGP0457.JPG
IMGP04652.JPG
IMGP04642.JPG
IMGP04631.JPG
IMGP04621.JPG
IMGP04591.JPG
IMGP04581.JPG
IMGP04563.JPG
IMGP04551.JPG

PS- Call me crazy, but my girls look real happy since having 24/7 reggae playing in room for the last 2 weeks haha !

:Namaste:

Edit to add:
Has anyone here grown a stran called Girl Scout Cookies ? Been reading reviews on it and it seems to be really highly regarded ??

A question for all you expert growers out there:

I've been reading up, and then thinking about the idea of adding a flavour enhancer. Is such a product actually beneficial ? If so, would it take away from the taste charactersistics provided by hopefully excellent genetics ? I paid quite a lot for these seeds and dont particularly want the smoke to be like any plain old bagseed if that makes sense!

Thanks for any insight you may be able to provide !

A question for all you expert growers out there:

I've been reading up, and then thinking about the idea of adding a flavour enhancer. Is such a product actually beneficial ? If so, would it take away from the taste charactersistics provided by hopefully excellent genetics ? I paid quite a lot for these seeds and dont particularly want the smoke to be like any plain old bagseed if that makes sense!

Bump ... Really, nobody has any feedback on blackstrap molasses / bud candy / kushie kush etc etc etc ??.... Would really love some input here ;)

Back
Top Bottom