First Time Grow Journal - Outside - Kaya Gold & Freebies

:surrender: Is it time?

I know it isn't exactly what you hoped for, but you gave it one hell of a run.
Anyone that can keep a plant growing outside in Washington into November is doing something right.
Congrat's (?) on your harvest! You'll knock it out of the park next time.

I think these plants have been a big success and probably went way further than any of us would have expected? They've done well. They're obviously pretty good strains for your climate, if you could get them flowering a bit earlier next time.

A direct water spray will definitely kill the pistils and turn them brown, as I have found out accidentally in the past. I suspect it's from the rainfall that they turned color. Anyway - congratulations- great job. Too bad you couldn't find a way to keep that wonderful unknown sativa strain going...

I know it isn't exactly what you hoped for, but you gave it one hell of a run.
Anyone that can keep a plant growing outside in Washington into November is doing something right.
Congrat's (?) on your harvest! You'll knock it out of the park next time.

Thanks for all your support and kind words Major. I have appreciated it greatly. I feel good about it. No, it isn't the way I wanted it to finish. But I'm good with it. At least I will be tomorrow. I've already been working on choosing strains for next year. As Conradino said, I need something that that will finish by the first week in October.

I think these plants have been a big success and probably went way further than any of us would have expected? They've done well. They're obviously pretty good strains for your climate, if you could get them flowering a bit earlier next time.

A direct water spray will definitely kill the pistils and turn them brown, as I have found out accidentally in the past. I suspect it's from the rainfall that they turned color. Anyway - congratulations- great job. Too bad you couldn't find a way to keep that wonderful unknown sativa strain going...

Thanks for following my journal so closely and for all of your support. I wish I could have kept the sativa going, but there just isn't anything I can do about all the moisture. Even if I had rigged up a cover of some sort, there's nothing to be done about the RH. She would have stayed constantly wet even under a cover. Anyway I've got quite a bit of bud and learned so much, and it has been great having you and all the others along. I'm still thinking about getting set up for inside. It might be next winter, though. Thanks again!

Hey Kodiak.....we had a good rain today, but clear forecast for a wk. I've taken some outdoor sativas almost to end of Nov. so maybe you can hang on for a few more days/wks. if you haven't lost patience w/ the weather & the hassle. Late season plants have to be moved around a lot to catch the sun. Won't help the big girl you have in the ground but maybe the others. I'd be happy to help you a bit on your strains for next time around if you like. Indica's are easier, plenty of short finishers, but if you're looking for a consistent early sativa, take a look at Paradise's Jacky White. I've grown it many times outdoors, & it's almost always to 1st to flower, starting in mid July. You did a hellava job for a 1st grow. Yeah, get that indoor garden going...takes the pressure off getting big summer outdoor yields.
:goodjob::Namaste:

Hey Brightlight, thanks for all the help. I will take you up on your offer to help me select strains for next season. I haven't lost patience with the weather; but I have lost patience with fighting the mold. I chopped the top 2/3 of the other two last week due to the mold issues. I kept them inside much of the time since and chased the sun outside when I could. I can't get the buds to get any bigger and I still get some mold on them. So they are done now. The sativa. It appears that the dying pistils are a magnet for the botrytis. Decaying plant matter that stays moist is a perfect host. I hate to quit on her, but discretion may be the better part of valor in this case. There are sticky frosty buds on her, just really small. Anyway, I'll keep posting here until everything is dry and in the jars.

I've got a place for a small indoor grow if I use a tent of some kind. Just not so sure about the budget right now.

Did I a actually use the phrase, discretion is the better part of valor earlier? O.K. if only about 30% of the sativa has been chopped today. I put on on the brakes when I heard a voice saying maybe I should push on. My personal inclination is to go balls to the wall in most cases. I'll do that here and brave the rot if someone can tell me the buds will keep growing at F temps of 55 high, 45 low. I have no idea. Does anyone else?

They may not "grow" a lot, but they will ripen and mature. :thumb:

Hello everyone. I'm back. Been very busy helping my wife through her knee replacement and generally tied up with non 420 biz. BUT, today is a red letter day. I harvesting the last 25% of the sativa. The buds bulked up a bit during that time, and I really didn't lose too much from bud rot. The biggest issue was lower yield due to the cool weather and lack of sun. But it was well worth letting it go longer. Taking the rest today due to frost. She survived a low of 28 last night. I'll post some pictures soon.

You had a lot of patience + repz :bravo:

conrad beat me to it!
Reps to ya for bringing her home. :thumb:

Hope all is well in your world.

Thanks for sharing this grow with us.

Please head over to the 420 Strain Reviews forum and post your smoke report there too.

I’m moving this to Completed Journals now.

Have you started a new grow you would like to share with us?

If so, please feel free to start a new journal here: Journals in Progress

You can use the Report Post feature found at the bottom left of every post and we'll move it for you right away.

Sending you lots of love and positive energy.

:Namaste:

I am growing Kaya Gold outdoors in Okanogan County, WA this year. This journal is incredibly helpful. Though our climates are quite different (mine is sub alpine and arid), there were many great tips and advise I wasn't aware of. So far my experience with KG is great. They are pumping out pistils and stretching like crazy. They are where they should be at this stage of their life cycle. I am a little nervous about them finishing on time after reading all this, but I feel like I know what to do if I have to harvest a little early. What a great resource this place is!

Back
Top Bottom