First Time Grow Journal - Outside - Kaya Gold & Freebies

I spray mine with milk/sodium bicarbonate liquid if I really have to fight it off. It'll work most of the time, but sometimes it won't. If you cannot keep RH down, then it's gonna come back, and you'll have to do sulphur treatment.

Interestingly, Earth Juice PH up is 99.5% potassium bicarbonate.

Yep - but you pay more for it that way.
I have no experience, but I don't know why milk would promote rot any more than other "wet" treatments. IMO, anything that will kill PM while the plants are in bloom is going to be a trade off. Either it won't work, it works but can cause minor burn, or it leaves something too nasty behind for me to want to use it. Potassium bicarb' seems like the least evil to me. A little pistil burn wouldn't scare me off.

I've determined that for now I'm going spray with my homemade garlic solution that I happen to already have on hand from when I was battling flea beetles on some veggies earlier. That is, only after I've tested it on a few leaves to make sure there will be no ill effects. If I need to go further I probably will go with a fairly new lecithin based product. My research revealed this is very promising solution that is harmless and can be applied at any time except at the end when the plants perhaps shouldn't be sprayed with anything. It is kind of pricey, about $16 for a quart of ready to spray product. Too expensive to use over a long period of time. But I'm betting that one can find a way to create a homemade product much more cheaply.

The best single source of information on PM I found was at Mandela Seeds. What I found there was pretty consistent with conclusions I'd already reached from reading other sources. And it had ideas I hadn't seen elsewhere. Well worth the read. Just Google Mandala powdery mildew.

Thanks Con. Can you use the milk/sodium bicarb solution during flower without causing a problem? I read milk promotes botrytis although that doesn't make much sense to me, something about the residue. And some say that potassium and sodium bicarbs fry the pistils. Would love to know your experience on that. Thanks again.
P.S Con, I didn't see you post until I had already posted the entry about what I had determined. I'd like to use the milk/sodium bicarb.

Thanks so much for confirming, Weaselcracker. Each step of they way is a learning experience. It is the first time I have witnessed this. I was mostly sure, but it it is nice to have someone helping me along to confirm what my eyes are seeing. Thx.

I know this has no real relevancy at all but I'm all choked up that your plant started to show flowering on my husband's birthday. That made me cry. How did I miss that?

I'm sorry KK. Tears of surprise and joy. It was just something of a shock.

Your relief was palpable. :high-five:

From my modest study of PM, potassium bicarb works better than sodium bicarb. Also too much potassium is not a good thing, but better than sodium.

I sprayed the girl with my garlic solution for the PM. There was only one spot on one leaf this morning. Removed it and sprayed once it warmed up. It dried quickly and left the plants shiny and pretty. Plan B, if necessary, will be Potassium bicarbonate. KG1 is flowering in earnest for about a week now. KG2 is now officially flowering. I will probably make that declaration on KG3 tomorrow. She's there.

Here are a couple shots of KG1. She started flowering about a week ago.

IMG_0039-001.JPG

IMG_0041103.JPG

Thanks so much for the input Brightlight. I thought they looked pretty good. But I really thank you with your suggestion that I push the nutes. You know what happens all along with a first grower; Overdoing is bad, whatever "it" is. Which is great advice. But we're getting to nug (Read Nut) cutting time. My idea of pushing nutes would be this. I'm using PBP bloom soil. Full bottle strength at 20 ml. Then add what I chose as a booster, Aurora, Roots Organics HPK 0-5-4 at 5 ml. I chose that along with HP2 which is 0-4-0. I chose this over Hydroplex 0-10-6 to support my homies in Eugene and complete organics. I'll for sure add the HP2 soon as they say the split the products into two to help coco growers who might not need the HP2. I would love some input on this plan. Thx. Peace, Out.

I just wanted to make sure this is in my journal. Others might not find it interesting, but for me this is important to note so I can read it later. I've grown plants, not cannibis, for 40 years. have loved it, and love plants, in general. I want to take note of the Sativa I have in the ground right now. I am sure right now there is no way she will flower and mature for near perfect harvest. She won't make it that far in the time we have. Not flowering yet, but those watching know why. BUT this plant is an Amazon. I put her in the ground as a seedling to die. All her leaves were almost white. After a few days she perked up. After two weeks almost all her leaves turned green and she grew. No she's not 8 ft. She just reached 6 feet, and about that across. She's growing an inch a day. With what little I've learned, my gardening gut says she'll start flowering within a week. I'm also fond of her as she "reeks" already. A thick film is forming on her branches near the nodes. Much more smell already than the KG's in bloom.

Memo to self in journal. Start preventative care for around August 1. A gentle mix of garlic, hot peppers, milk and sodium bicarb as preventative medicine. I'm getting the start of PM now in all three in the pots. Will apply Potassium Bicarb on Sunday after I return from Eugene after seeing my Ducks. Green Cure is the product I will use. I think you can do Potassium Bicarb cheaper, but that is for next year.
Thanks PITA. I think your research was spot on as near as I can tell.

Back
Top Bottom