First time grower long time smoker

jwine76

Hi. This is my first time ever growing. Over the summer I was given 5 plants from a friend. Well 4 turned out to be male and the female has been coming along nicely. I figure a few more weeks. The problem was that it was growing outdoors, but has recently gotten too cold. I am now finishing her off inside. I was using the earth juice line. but i have now switched to just using the kool bloom and the catalyst for flowering.
I am also growing 6 top 44 plants in a phototron that I bought off ebay. It is the full size one. I have the plants in small quart containers, going to transfer to 1 gallon containers once they get some size.
I will let you know how things go.
weedplant1.jpg

weedplant2.jpg

weedplant3.jpg

weedplant5.jpg

weedplant6.jpg

nutes10.jpg

I now have found a small colony of gnats i guess. I put up sticky tape and other similar traps. seems to be working great. Then I look closer at the soil and see a bunch of larva. So that's wack. I go to home depot and buy some ortho ecosense all natural 3-1 garden insecticide and some ortho ecosense all natural indoor insect killer. I sprayed the first one and it wasn't doing anyhting to the larva, so i stepped it up a notch, i probably shouldn't have used the second one on plants but i wanted results. It seems to work, but not completely. hopefully they just die, don't want to infest my phototron. I decided to give it a flush of water a few times to clean it out of the insecticide. hopefully i didn't kill my plant. she's been doing well. I figure 2-3 weeks and then i'm going to cut her down. My wife is getting really annoyed by the smell. so if she dies from insect poison, so be it. I also don't want to infest my new little ones. want to keep'em clean. that's one thing i like abut the phototron, it's very contained This is all a learning experience for me though. I am getting better day by day. My other 6 little ones are doing well. 1 is growing like a monster, so you know that one is male. I hope i'm wrong but i might have 1 or 2 more. that would hold true to the odds of 50/50. you know you have a male because they grow so much faster and stronger, the girls take their time and establish a strong root system. Anyway, hope i'm wrong. Would love all girls though.
also, bought a Honeywell True HEPA Air Purifier with Remote Control. supposedly these are the best for getting odors out and purifying the air. way better then that ionic crap. home depot only really sells these HEPA filter system purifiers probably because they can get rid of strong odors. i ordered it online. Hope it comes soon.
I will post pictures shortly of my progress with the little ones and keep you up to date on my old lady.

Peace, have a good weekend.

Thanks. Here's the break down. As I stated before I was given the plants as a gift. But they were all in one big 5 gallon pot. After realizing I had only one female I quickly transplanted her into her own 2-3 gallon pot. I had no idea what I was doing in terms of soil, I used garden soil from home depot. Not potting soil. it was the only stuff without miracle grow. I realized now you can buy the correct soil at hydro shops, online, or make your own. Learning something new everyday.
She first showed signs of budding around September 12th. It didn't get good looking until the 21st or 22nd of September. I think I might have shocked her a little with the re-potting and of course bringing her inside. Hopefully the bug poison didn't do her in either. I would like her to get a few more weeks because I think she can get some more size. One thing I was considering that maybe the garden soil is restricting some growth because the soil is very compact and this the biggest she will get.
I also lowered the cfl lights so they are much closer to the plant. I have six 42 watt cfl's (2700k for flowering) on her. My only real concern is that some of the tips of the fan leaves and such are starting to yellow and curl a bit. Not sure if that is a reaction to the bug poison or old age telling me it's time to pick the fruit. I don't think it's the bug poison though. i think it was happening before. Plus with the poison i did a flush so hopefully it won't kill my plant.
The buds themselves seem and look great. lots of crystals everywhere, it smells so dank and kind. very happy with my first experience.
My little ones are looking good. not sure how long I ca keep te in those small quart containers. would like to sex them out through the quarts and then transfer to bigger containers. If anything I will transfer to one gallon containers, put three in the phototron, and three under eight 42 watt cfl (5500k for vegging)
I have posted pictures of my progress so far. Enjoy.
Also look at the pictures of my little ones. I feel like the small one in bottom right hand corner is female because of how small she is.

weed71.jpg

weed81.jpg

weed81.jpg

weed101.jpg

https://www.420magazine.com/gallery/uploads/70489/weed111.jpg
weed121.jpg

Thanks, in terms of my seedlings any thoughts on the speed of growth of male versus female? worried they all seem males except for 1. they are just growing so strong, ever see a female do that? would love some input.

Ok, decided to take a closer look at my plants. I think I do have only one female. reason being is that the other ones have two little leaves that some call balls. it was something i noticed on the previous plants i had. I ordered my seeds from: marijuana-seeds.nl. From reading reviews they seem like they sort of suck. I think I will germinate the other 4 seeds I have from them and hope for the best.
will keep you posted.

Those plants are looking beautiful. I can just imagine the smell. This must be a true test of patience. keep us posted, hopefully those new seeds work for you

it's official, went in for another closer look. 5 are males, almost positive. not the end of the world, 1 plant will still give me a nice personal stash. I decided though to germinate the other 4 seeds. Hopefully I get one or two more females. will keep you posted.
also, anyone ever use a food dehydrator to dry weed. my friend has one because he liked making beef jerky, was going to wash it out and use it to dry my buds?
thoughts?

How can u tell they are males?? They don't show sex until flower g

Ok, i might have jumped the gun. it just seemed they were growing so fast. i've read other grow journals and it seems those ones always turn male. When I got the 5 plants and even before flowering i could tell the difference. The Males will have a little stem like things while the females don't. and sure enough it came true. while the female doesn't really have it. I could totally wrong though.
i didn't throw them away just replanted them in solo cups to make room for my germinated seeds.
Here's the other thing. all 5 plants have this same trait while the plant that looks rich like a female doesn't look like the others or have the trait of those 2 little stem hair things.
i am very inexperienced so thats why i didn't trash them. just going to play out and see what happens.

Ok. got it. no biggie. i f*cked up. I can fix it. i got some new ones germing. and the old ones are in solo cups. will transfer to 1 gallon containers soon to really get going.
Thanks.

HELP!!!
having major problems.
My plants seem like they're dying slowly.
Here's what's going on:
I went away on a trip for 2 weeks. my friend watered them while i was gone. right before i left i gave them feeding of the earth juice line. (grow, bloom, catalyst, meta k, and microblast). when i got back all the lower leaves were dying with brown spots. they were dead and then fell off. all the plants were pretty much displaying this.
I didn't know what was going on?? so i clipped the dying leaves because i didn't like the way it looked.
I then watered them with some more nutes (just grow and catalyst). still the same problem was happening. i thought earth juice was non-burning? so i stopped using it. and just used water for a few feedings. it wasn't getting any better???
so i of course started with nutes again thinking it's a deficiency. again nothing really changed.
so i am reading online that earth juice really messes up the ph of soil. and drops it like crazy. so i got some earth juice ph up. added it to my water.
it is totally doing more damage. the top leaves are now dying. all the plants look sick and in very poor health. lots of brown spots. i don't have a ph tester. i just ordered one so it should be here soon. i probably should have tested the ph of the soil before adding the up. i just had been reading online that a lot of people using the earth juice line saw the ph drop really bad. and the plants suffered showing similar signs as mine. they used earth juice up to fix the problem. so i used it. it might have been a huge mistake. my plants are really suffering and i might have to scrap this grow and start a new grow. i don't want to. don't know what else to do. when the ph tester comes i will have a better idea of the ph?
I will post pictures tomorrow of what they look like.
please help.
Thanks.

i just ordered the ph meter through amazon. should be here on monday or tuesday. it is a major f'up not to have one. i'll be able to get readings soon.
that's also why i added the ej ph up. everyone kept saying that it caused a major drop. so used the stuff to bring the ph up. might of been a huge mistake since i have no ph meter.
trying to follow their feeding schedule. i give give them a tablespoon of grow and a teaspoon of the rest mixed in a gallon jug. but the stuff is light i heard, so i was pretty much using it every other watering. it seems like the stuff is killing my plants.
they just look awful. really don't want to scrap.
i used grow and bloom on my last grow with success, but only used towards the end of vegging into flowering.
on this current grow i figured i could use all the ej product line after a week or 2. since the stuff is all natural i couldn't see it doing much damage.
for this grow and my next thinking about just using catalyst through vegging and flowering. and the bloom, meta k, microblast during flowering, maybe throwing in some kool bloom at the end of flowering for monster buds. maybe the ej grow is no good. i dunno. stressed about all this. really thought i had this all under control
it could be the strain, top 44??? not sure?
will post pics tomorrow
also, i re-planted them from the small pots (pics in previous post) into the actual phototron. since it seems people on here with grow journals have huge success in growing right in the phototron itself. there's no drainage, but i put a layer of an inch or more of pearlite to help with drainage. i am also growing in sunshine farms potting mix i believe.
also. the leaves are brittle. i sort of broke one and water formed in the break like ten minutes later. something's just not right.
will post pics tomorrow.

Yea you should have totally waited for the ph issue...i think u shoulda taken pics and asked questions b4 u went and gave them nutes and ph up... Well all u can do now is maybe flush ur pots and figure out th ph when u get the meter

Yea you should have totally waited for the ph issue...i think u shoulda taken pics and asked questions b4 u went and gave them nutes and ph up... Well all u can do now is maybe flush ur pots and figure out th ph when u get the meter

I agree. Flush those puppies now. Flush with RO water if you can, if not filtered water. Flush with 3 times the size of your pots. Then leave them until you get the meter. If you flush with RO water it will automatically adjust your pH in most cases.
Good luck.:surf:

Ok, decided to take a closer look at my plants. I think I do have only one female. reason being is that the other ones have two little leaves that some call balls. it was something i noticed on the previous plants i had. I ordered my seeds from: marijuana-seeds.nl. From reading reviews they seem like they sort of suck. I think I will germinate the other 4 seeds I have from them and hope for the best.
will keep you posted.

I got some so called Jack Herer from them about a year ago. 9 out of 10 sprouted, 3 were males, 3 hermies and 3 females. After growing out the females and cloning them I have a batch of shit that would probably be okay for making rope but the smoke is so weak it barely gets you buzzed. What a colossal waste of time and effort. I will never buy from them again. Good Luck!

How did this grow turn out?
We would love to be updated with some pictures and info!

If you need any help with posting photos, please read the photo

gallery tutorial:
Photo Gallery Guide - How to Resize, Upload & Post Photos

I am moving this to abandoned journals until we get updates.

Thanks and hope all is well in your world!

Love and respect from all of us here at 420 Magazine!

Back
Top Bottom