First timer - Advice on trimming and stretch much appreciated!

serioustack

Hey i have just started the flowering stage of 2 critical yumbolt plants 6 days ago. They both look healthy thank god! But i want to know if i should trim the lower branches (to promote bigger buds on top) they both have quite a lot of stems top and bottom. Also any tips on limiting stretch running out of space!!? Will post pictures when lights are on in the morning!

hi i probably wouldnt do any trimming or defol right now that would of been best while still in veg. You want the plant to start the flowering process as smoothly as possible.
At this stage if i was worried about height i would gently bend and massage the top over 90° and tie in place with soft wire (lst)

You can be as mean to this plant as you want. It is a weed. Not fine china.

Yes you can trim the underneath if you want. Divide the plant up into 3rds and trim the lower 1/3. you can trim and even defoliate if you want to. You can use HST (pinch, squeeze to break the fibers, and bend to 90 degrees). You want to do most of your training in VEG and up to day 21 of flower. The first 3 weeks of flower the plant is in transition and you can basically considerate it more like the vegetative stage. After 3 weeks of flower it will start putting on buds and hopefully you have it under control and can just do spot training.

Scar .. ill agree and disagree, my experiences with triming , defol, hst etc. "in early stages of flower" has had negative results prolonging flowering time

He Rhetorrikz,

I will agree with you that optimally you want all your training done in the vegetative stage. But some of the new growers are getting into trouble because they didn't do it correctly.

So now they are left with potentially an out of control canopy that may over grow their lights and grow room. An even canopy will benefit them more in the long run. He can work on max production after he gets a couple grows under his belt.

I defoliate around week 3 of flower. No problems. I HST a few out of control branches in the first 3 weeks of flower, no problem.

Basically you have to do what you have to do... Then prepare for it next grow and improve.

250w hps 7th day flowering 12/12
Hey guys was wondering if you can look at the picks i uploaded. Do you know why top leaves tips curling down? Also is there enough space left or do i have to move them? And one last question. As you can see they are growing in a toilet with no vent. I keep windows open in the main room to try my best to keep humidity low enough (Its very hard living in Ireland very wet). But i was wondering if i just left a carbon filter in the bedroom which the bathroom is in will it deal with the smell ok?
snapshot_5_.jpg

https://www.420magazine.com/gallery/data/504/medium/snapshot_1_.jpg

https://www.420magazine.com/gallery/data/504/medium/snapshot1.jpg

https://www.420magazine.com/gallery/data/504/medium/snapshot_2_.jpg

https://www.420magazine.com/gallery/data/504/medium/snapshot_4_.jpg

i train in veg only..

If you grow perfectly then the above statement applies.

Honestly you can take some hedge shears and cut them across at what ever level you need. Is it the optimal treatment of a plant in early flower... No. But if it is what you need to do... Its basically like topping a plant in Veg. The underneath buds will get more hormones and light and produce.

Depending on how tall your plant was when you started flowering... it will stretch grossly 3x its height. If you can't raise your light? and the top cola is going to grow past your light...? Cut them.

Seriously, a statement like "I only train in VEG" is useless to the Original Poster.

Optimally you want minimal to no training in flower. I always trim the lower 1/3 of my plants at day 21. I sometimes defoliate also. I have not seen any reductions in yield.

I am trying to help the OP avoid a critical failure.

:peace: and :goodluck:

I get what Scar is saying, totally. First time grower here with sativas that are bushing and stretching way more than I envisioned. I topped early dreaming of four main colas. I got them along with heavy bushing and crazy stretch after flip. Luckily getting them out of the closet and into a grow tent in two days.

Best methods are great, but stuff comes with a learning curve. Four plants with four colas each, two colas six inches taller than the rest. I'll do what I have to do despite not training in veg. Hell yeah I get what he's saying.

Back
Top Bottom