First Timer Growing - Indoor With 125W CFL - Amnesia Haze Auto

All right.

I'll start lowering the soil pH. I'm guessing pH 5 water will do? (For now, 10x more acidic compared to pH 6 - until I get a decent soil pH)
I'll also increase the distance between the plant and light.

As for soil, I tested with my pH meter? :scratchinghead:

Is it a soil ph meter they aren't that accurate if it is I have two of them and they always read differently I ended up getting some litmus strips their a cheap way to check ph of liquid.

A slurry test is about the best way to check the ph of your soil.
Ph a cup of water to 6.5 then add a couple table spoons of the soil from the affected plant to it and let it sit over night and check the ph of the water if it's way higher or lower than 6.5 you might need to ammend your soil with something to adjust ph of the soil.

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using 420 Magazine Mobile App

I've done the "soil solution test":
Took a beaker full of water (pH 7) and added a hand pull of top soil from the pot: the solution pH dropped to 6.5. It feels like a major drop to me, but considering that pH is logarithmic, I'm thinking that my soil could actually be having the perfect pH now?
EDIT: I tested again, this time the correct way: pH 6.5 water, added a grab of soil, that dropped the pH of the solution down to 6.3-6.4

The plant also seems to be getting better: the symptoms (lighter colour between the veins) is starting to disappear. I'm guessing that means that the citric acid lowered the pH?
From what I've read, the pH lowering with citric acid is often short lived, so I went shopping today:

I was going to buy something to bring down the soil pH (blue box) and also picked up a box of MgO (green box). They only had huge boxes, but they were dirt cheap anyway.
I'll keep an eye on my pH levels the coming week(s) and see how it changes. If it goes up again:

If I learnt my chemistry right, MgO tends to up the pH because it's a metallic oxide, right?
I'm guessing the best way to feed this to my plants would be taking some extra soil, mixing it with the supplements (both pH lowerer and a little MgO) and adding it as a layer on top of the current soil in the pot - to avoid disturbing the roots? I'm guessing the water will migrate the nutrients downwards?

I've also picked up 2 preservation jars: one for my yield (and one for my shrooms :love:)

EDIT 2: It seems my air humidity is dropping: currently at 40%. I'm thinking this is rather low?
I'm going to work with the yeast + sugar method. Considering the yeast will produce (some) heat and there will be a certain amount of evaporation, will there be a need for a air humidifier? If so, I'll already order one online.

Your right your humidity will go up with a ferment going, and it sounds like you know more about the ph of soil than me I just know what to do to find the problem.

Your right your humidity will go up with a ferment going, and it sounds like you know more about the ph of soil than me I just know what to do to find the problem.

All right.

And the fact that I'm a student biochemistry and biotechnology probably helps ;)

Update:
MgO fertilised soil has been added. I've added a 4-5 cm layer of fresh soil on top. I mixed in about 10g of the MgO box and 15g of the pH lowering mix (both lower than the recommended amount on the box).

I'll closely monitor the changes and add more if the plants seems to need it. I also cut off some old leaves on the bottom to make room for the soil.

When I had the problem my ph was around 7 I mixed in sphagnum peat moss to lower and buffer ph. I mixed it into any part of the soil I could and top dressed with a blend of new soil an spg but your on the right track for sure. A lot of times with when the ph is off there is a gradient in the pot with the top layer being off, a narrow zone that is right, and the bottom exactly the opposite of what's at the top from what I understand, otherwise the plant would just keel over and die.

Have you seen the charts that show what nutrients are taken up at what ph levelsand the deficiencies chart I used those to understand better what ph does to a plant I'll see if I can find them.

420-magazine-mobile879674445.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1097944998.jpg
I hope these help to confirm the ph levels of your soil based off of what's not being taken up and what still is being taken up

Yea, I recently picked up the picture somewhere else. I'm checking my pH again one of the coming days - if it's too low, it will also kill my Mg uptake - forcing me to up the pH again.
We're a week later now and the plant is still showing symptoms, although I'm under the impression they are stagnating/slowing going away.
I've also noticed one yellowing leaf on the bottom of my plant, just above the soil. Could this be lack of light penetration on the lower end of the plant? Or a nutrient problem?

DSC_011429.JPG

And successful grow/harvest or not, I've learnt a lot :thumb:
My buds look pretty good?

DSC_011533.JPG

Current state, as of day 39:

2016-09-05.JPG

CO2 injector built :)

I will try to post a picture in one of the following days!

Day 47:

CO2 injector: 1,5L filled with warm water (about 37°C), some (wet) bakers yeast and some sugar. I didn't have decent tubing around, so I used some spare water cooling tubing I had lying around from my previous water cooled PC built (which you can check out here if interested). The second small bottle is filled with water to keep the 'exit' submerged.

My buds seem to be going pretty well too. According to the info I picked up, I should be just over half way in my growing process.

And finally the full grow:

It still seems to be going well! The damage to the leaves from shortages (and slight nutrient burning) hasn't gone funny gone away, but aside from that, the plant is looking good!

I think I'm getting close to my harvest, correct?

This a pic from my buds I made today:
bud-21.jpg

Looks good! I like to brew kombucha in my tent because it is a fermented tea I get to drink at the end of the week, rather than a stinky mixture of stale yeast and sugar I have to pour down the sink. It produces A LOT of CO2.

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Hope all is well in your world.

Is this grow still alive?

We would love to be updated with some pictures and info.

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read our Photo Gallery Tutorial.

I am moving this to Abandoned Journals until we get updates.

Sending you lots of love and positive energy.

:Namaste:

Apologies for the late update. I had some problems (discussed here)

It turned out to be a succes!
Little over 20g and despite the early harvest and plant problems, still quite good quality

Back
Top Bottom