Flush using molasses or no?

iv been doing some digging on molasses as a nute. seems its in some of the high end store bought nutes too. iv also been seeing a lot on using MILK as a nute with molasses. good on the roots and as a foliar spray. seems spider mites head for the hillz when you spray just those two. its an option when your into deep flowering and you get invaded by bugs. they cant digest the sugars in the molasses and milk and explode when they ingest it. seems they dont have a pancreas and sugar is like battery acid to them. id rather use milk n molasses than neem oil any day. especially deep into flower. skim milk is probably best because it contains no fat so it wont rot. powdered milk as a soil amend. i would have never guessed that in a million years.

iv been doing some digging on molasses as a nute. seems its in some of the high end store bought nutes too. iv also been seeing a lot on using MILK as a nute with molasses. good on the roots and as a foliar spray. seems spider mites head for the hillz when you spray just those two. its an option when your into deep flowering and you get invaded by bugs. they cant digest the sugars in the molasses and milk and explode when they ingest it. seems they dont have a pancreas and sugar is like battery acid to them. id rather use milk n molasses than neem oil any day. especially deep into flower. skim milk is probably best because it contains no fat so it wont rot. powdered milk as a soil amend. i would have never guessed that in a million years.
PLEASE READ MY PROFILE....PLANTS DON'T DIGEST THEY METABOLIZE.
I.p.o

Why do some marijuana growers give molasses or hydroponics carbohydrates products like Bud Candy to their marijuana plants?

The answer is that added carbohydrates fuel healthier, higher-yielding cannabis plants.

Here’s how it works…

Marijuana plants use photosynthesis to create carbohydrates.

Carbohydrates are the primary internal energy source for marijuana plants.

But being an energy source isn’t all that carbs do inside your marijuana plants.

Your plants use carbs to create roots, stems, leaves, and buds, and to maintain genetic integrity.

Marijuana carbohydrate metabolism is part of the process that forms THC and other cannabinoids, as well as terpenoids.

Your marijuana plants store carbohydrates for use during bloom phase.

They do this because bloom phase is when reduced light hours and other factors diminish the amount of carbohydrates they can newly produce.

Almost all marijuana carbohydrate production and storage happens during grow phase and the first 1-3 weeks of bloom phase.

Then it pretty much stops.

This stoppage of carbohydrate production can starve your marijuana plants of carbs.

Your marijuana plants need lots of carbohydrate energy to produce buds and cannabinoids.

This is especially true when you’re pushing your plants using double-ended bulbs, deep water culture, aeroponics, C02, high-PPM feed programs and other intense tactics.

When you feed marijuana carbohydrates to your marijuana plants in bloom phase, your plants get an energy burst that helps them create bigger buds with more THC.

Some cannabis growers make the mistake of foliar spraying marijuana carbohydrates.

This gunks up their plants’ leaves and harms their health.

The only intelligent way to feed marijuana carbohydrates is to do root feeding.

Scientific studies show that marijuana roots efficiently absorb carbohydrates.

But molasses isn’t the best source of marijuana carbohydrates.

One reason is molasses is too thick to be used in hydroponics systems, especially in pure hydroponics such as deep water culture and aeroponics.

It isn’t particularly helpful in soil either. It clogs up your soil, thus depriving roots of oxygen, moisture, and space to grow.

Molasses often contains sulfur and other materials that interfere with your feed program and can harm plant health.

Also, molasses varies in quality and consistency even in the most expensive organic brands.

You never really know what you’re getting.

The other compelling reason not to use molasses is that carbohydrates come in many different forms, and some forms are a lot better for marijuana plants than others.

For example, glucose, fructose, and xylose are all monosaccharides, sucrose is a disaccharide, and cellulose is a polysaccharide.

Glucose is an aldose (it contains an aldehyde group), while fructose is a ketose (it contains a ketone group).

These slight differences in chemical makeup affect how marijuana plants absorb carbs.

Marijuana is a unique species—it has its own “preferences” for what types of carbohydrates it likes to absorb through roots.

For example, tomatoes and sugar beets prefer sucrose to glucose, while melons prefer fructose to glucose or sucrose.

Decades ago, researchers believed that carbohydrates such as galactose and mannose were toxic for most plants.

However, when those two carbs were applied along with other types of carbs, their alleged toxicity disappeared.

Marijuana plants absorb different carbohydrates through their roots at different stages in their development.

Don’t let anybody convince you that marijuana carbohydrates can be absorbed through leaves.

If you foliar spray carbohydrates, what you get are leaves that can’t breathe, that’s all.

These factors tell you that unless you use a carbohydrate formula designed specifically for marijuana, you’re probably wasting your money and losing the benefits of marijuana carbohydrates.

When you use the right marijuana carbohydrates formula, your cannabis plants absorb the extra energy they need at a time when they’re not producing it themselves.

Not only that, but feeding carbohydrates from start to finish of your marijuana growing season feeds beneficial root zone microbes that protect and assist roots.

When I realized that molasses wasn’t working for me in soil or in hydroponics marijuana growing, I researched all the carbohydrates products sold at grow shops.

As usual, the only hydroponics nutrients company that would talk to me about marijuana growing is Advanced Nutrients.

Their grower support rep explained that their Bud Candy carbohydrates product is the only one to contain seven different high-grade sources of carbohydrates in the correct amounts, types, and ratios for marijuana plants.

They’ve also included humic acid and other natural ingredients derived from sources like sugar cane, sugar beet, cranberry, and grape extracts.

They make sure that all these ingredients stay in suspension so they distribute evenly into your root zone no matter if you’re growing in hydroponics, soilless mix, coco coir, rockwool, soil, and other root zone media.

For an added benefit, use beneficial microbes products Voodoo Juice, Tarantula, and Piranha.

These formulas contain engineered strains of root zone microbes specific to marijuana roots that increase the size, function, and health of marijuana roots.

Endurance athletes do carbohydrate boosting because they run out of on-board energy during long workouts and need an external source of carbohydrates to help them keep going strong.

The same tactic works great for your marijuana plants

Why do some marijuana growers give molasses or hydroponics carbohydrates products like Bud Candy to their marijuana plants?

The answer is that added carbohydrates fuel healthier, higher-yielding cannabis plants.

Here’s how it works…

Marijuana plants use photosynthesis to create carbohydrates.

Carbohydrates are the primary internal energy source for marijuana plants.

But being an energy source isn’t all that carbs do inside your marijuana plants.

Your plants use carbs to create roots, stems, leaves, and buds, and to maintain genetic integrity.

Marijuana carbohydrate metabolism is part of the process that forms THC and other cannabinoids, as well as terpenoids.

Your marijuana plants store carbohydrates for use during bloom phase.

They do this because bloom phase is when reduced light hours and other factors diminish the amount of carbohydrates they can newly produce.

Almost all marijuana carbohydrate production and storage happens during grow phase and the first 1-3 weeks of bloom phase.

Then it pretty much stops.

This stoppage of carbohydrate production can starve your marijuana plants of carbs.

Your marijuana plants need lots of carbohydrate energy to produce buds and cannabinoids.

This is especially true when you’re pushing your plants using double-ended bulbs, deep water culture, aeroponics, C02, high-PPM feed programs and other intense tactics.

When you feed marijuana carbohydrates to your marijuana plants in bloom phase, your plants get an energy burst that helps them create bigger buds with more THC.

Some cannabis growers make the mistake of foliar spraying marijuana carbohydrates.

This gunks up their plants’ leaves and harms their health.

The only intelligent way to feed marijuana carbohydrates is to do root feeding.

Scientific studies show that marijuana roots efficiently absorb carbohydrates.

But molasses isn’t the best source of marijuana carbohydrates.

One reason is molasses is too thick to be used in hydroponics systems, especially in pure hydroponics such as deep water culture and aeroponics.

It isn’t particularly helpful in soil either. It clogs up your soil, thus depriving roots of oxygen, moisture, and space to grow.

Molasses often contains sulfur and other materials that interfere with your feed program and can harm plant health.

Also, molasses varies in quality and consistency even in the most expensive organic brands.

You never really know what you’re getting.

The other compelling reason not to use molasses is that carbohydrates come in many different forms, and some forms are a lot better for marijuana plants than others.

For example, glucose, fructose, and xylose are all monosaccharides, sucrose is a disaccharide, and cellulose is a polysaccharide.

Glucose is an aldose (it contains an aldehyde group), while fructose is a ketose (it contains a ketone group).

These slight differences in chemical makeup affect how marijuana plants absorb carbs.

Marijuana is a unique species—it has its own “preferences” for what types of carbohydrates it likes to absorb through roots.

For example, tomatoes and sugar beets prefer sucrose to glucose, while melons prefer fructose to glucose or sucrose.

Decades ago, researchers believed that carbohydrates such as galactose and mannose were toxic for most plants.

However, when those two carbs were applied along with other types of carbs, their alleged toxicity disappeared.

Marijuana plants absorb different carbohydrates through their roots at different stages in their development.

Don’t let anybody convince you that marijuana carbohydrates can be absorbed through leaves.

If you foliar spray carbohydrates, what you get are leaves that can’t breathe, that’s all.

These factors tell you that unless you use a carbohydrate formula designed specifically for marijuana, you’re probably wasting your money and losing the benefits of marijuana carbohydrates.

When you use the right marijuana carbohydrates formula, your cannabis plants absorb the extra energy they need at a time when they’re not producing it themselves.

Not only that, but feeding carbohydrates from start to finish of your marijuana growing season feeds beneficial root zone microbes that protect and assist roots.

When I realized that molasses wasn’t working for me in soil or in hydroponics marijuana growing, I researched all the carbohydrates products sold at grow shops.

As usual, the only hydroponics nutrients company that would talk to me about marijuana growing is Advanced Nutrients.

Their grower support rep explained that their Bud Candy carbohydrates product is the only one to contain seven different high-grade sources of carbohydrates in the correct amounts, types, and ratios for marijuana plants.

They’ve also included humic acid and other natural ingredients derived from sources like sugar cane, sugar beet, cranberry, and grape extracts.

They make sure that all these ingredients stay in suspension so they distribute evenly into your root zone no matter if you’re growing in hydroponics, soilless mix, coco coir, rockwool, soil, and other root zone media.

For an added benefit, use beneficial microbes products Voodoo Juice, Tarantula, and Piranha.

These formulas contain engineered strains of root zone microbes specific to marijuana roots that increase the size, function, and health of marijuana roots.

Endurance athletes do carbohydrate boosting because they run out of on-board energy during long workouts and need an external source of carbohydrates to help them keep going strong.

The same tactic works great for your marijuana plants

A lot of good information there but you missed the most important reason people use molasses, whether they know it or not, and the reason that the majority who run into problems using it.

Molasses is a potent organic bio available form of potassium coming in at 1.464 percent. As for the sulphur in molasses, if you are buying fancy molasses, baking molasses or black strap molasses from a feed store, there will be no sulphur in it. Sulphur is used in processing immature sugar cane and makes the molasses bitter, something that cows and horses won’t eat and we don’t use in cooking.

The issue you mention about carbs is not a concern for soil growers as the microbes in the soil break them down into usable forms for our plants just like they break down the other raw materials.

Now back to the potassium problem, because molasses is so high in potassium, a little goes a long way and many who run into problems have used too much and overloaded the soil with potassium causing lockouts of magnesium and calcium.

To put this into perspective, 1 litre/quart of molasses contains 14.64g of potassium which is enough to grow roughly 2lbs of smokable bud and if you are adding other sources of potassium, it doesn’t take long to add up and cause lockouts.

A lot of good information there but you missed the most important reason people use molasses, whether they know it or not, and the reason that the majority who run into problems using it.

Molasses is a potent organic bio available form of potassium coming in at 1.464 percent. As for the sulphur in molasses, if you are buying fancy molasses, baking molasses or black strap molasses from a feed store, there will be no sulphur in it. Sulphur is used in processing immature sugar cane and makes the molasses bitter, something that cows and horses won’t eat and we don’t use in cooking.

The issue you mention about carbs is not a concern for soil growers as the microbes in the soil break them down into usable forms for our plants just like they break down the other raw materials.

Now back to the potassium problem, because molasses is so high in potassium, a little goes a long way and many who run into problems have used too much and overloaded the soil with potassium causing lockouts of magnesium and calcium.

To put this into perspective, 1 litre/quart of molasses contains 14.64g of potassium which is enough to grow roughly 2lbs of smokable bud and if you are adding other sources of potassium, it doesn’t take long to add up and cause lockouts.
HI,

NOT SURE WHERE YOU GET YOUR DATA BUT YOUR INCORRECT. THE REASON YOU USE MOLASSE OR "CARB" BOOSTERS NEAR THE END OF THE FLOWERING CYCLE IS TO ENRICH THEM WITH MICRO NUTRIENTS AND SWEETEN THE TASTE OF THE BUDS. ADDITIONALLY, YOUR STATEMENTS REGARDING PEOPLE USING TOO MUCH DOES NOT CONSTITUTE A REASONABLE ARGUMENT AS TO USE OR NOT TO USE....AND YOUR NUMBERS COME FROM A CERTIFICATE OF ANALYSIS TESTED BY VALIDATED U.S.P METHODS??

Ok easy with the caps there mate, it makes it appear as though you are screaming at people.

Now, my information is not incorrect. When guys many years ago, long before your articles, started growing cannabis, it was well known that molasses was a high source of potassium, they knew nothing about carbs being good for plants. What they did know, was that flowering cannabis uses more potassium at this stage, hence the practice of using molasses in flower was started. In those days there was little or no research regarding cannabis. These old boys were ”Flying by the seat of their pants” and learning by trial and error. So “Bro Science” was born.

Now as for my comment about sulphur, it is only used in processing immature sugar cane. Check out “how molasses Is made”. Sulphur leaves it tasting bitter so will rarely be found in North American “Fancy” or ”Bakers” molasses and feed mills won’t buy sulphured molasses because, as I said, cattle and horses won’t eat it. I worked at a feed mill over 30 years ago when we received 5000 gallons of sulphured black strap. 1500 gallons were used to make feed that all was returned because live stock wouldn’t eat it. I spent one whole day sitting on top of a tanker while we pumped our tanks into it to be disposed of and replaced, first hand experience.

As for the potassium content, it is not hard to find that information. Any doctor or medical site will give you that information, there are many people who need to be very careful about potassium intake and need to know. Aside from that, anybody serious about growing organically can probably give you “baseline” levels of any amendment they use.

I use a lot of molasses, and I know why I use it. It is not to sweeten up the buds. The tiny charge of micronutrients in the amount of molasses given per gallon is nothing compared to what I give my plants using other "sweeteners" which usually include along with the micronutrients a good load of vitamins and amino acids that the molasses does not have.
My primary use of molasses has been and always will be as the perfect form of sugar to feed microbes, whether they be in a bottle, compost tea or in the soil.

Ok easy with the caps there mate, it makes it appear as though you are screaming at people.

Now, my information is not incorrect. When guys many years ago, long before your articles, started growing cannabis, it was well known that molasses was a high source of potassium, they knew nothing about carbs being good for plants. What they did know, was that flowering cannabis uses more potassium at this stage, hence the practice of using molasses in flower was started. In those days there was little or no research regarding cannabis. These old boys were ”Flying by the seat of their pants” and learning by trial and error. So “Bro Science” was born.

Now as for my comment about sulphur, it is only used in processing immature sugar cane. Check out “how molasses Is made”. Sulphur leaves it tasting bitter so will rarely be found in North American “Fancy” or ”Bakers” molasses and feed mills won’t buy sulphured molasses because, as I said, cattle and horses won’t eat it. I worked at a feed mill over 30 years ago when we received 5000 gallons of sulphured black strap. 1500 gallons were used to make feed that all was returned because live stock wouldn’t eat it. I spent one whole day sitting on top of a tanker while we pumped our tanks into it to be disposed of and replaced, first hand experience.

As for the potassium content, it is not hard to find that information. Any doctor or medical site will give you that information, there are many people who need to be very careful about potassium intake and need to know. Aside from that, anybody serious about growing organically can probably give you “baseline” levels of any amendment they use.
CELT....PLEASE MY BIO ON THE 420 MAG. FIRST,YOU'LL HAVE TO FORGIVE MY ALL ALL CAPS O DUE SO BECAUSE I AM DYSLEXIC....IT HELPS ME SEE THE LETTERS BETTER. I AM NOT YELLING. ONCE AGAIN, PLEASE READ MY BIO/ INTRODUCTION PAGE.....THANKS

CELT....PLEASE MY BIO ON THE 420 MAG. FIRST,YOU'LL HAVE TO FORGIVE MY ALL ALL CAPS O DUE SO BECAUSE I AM DYSLEXIC....IT HELPS ME SEE THE LETTERS BETTER. I AM NOT YELLING. ONCE AGAIN, PLEASE READ MY BIO/ INTRODUCTION PAGE.....THANKS
CELT,

I'M 60YR BIOPHARMACEUTICAL SCIENTIST, INFECTIOUS DISEASE MICROBIOLOGIST.... ADDITIONALLY, I WAS AN INSTRUCTOR OF BOTH ANATOMY & PHYSIOLOGY AS WELL AS BOTANY. WHEN USING NUMBERS LIKE 14.464....I SERIOUSLY QUESTION THE VALIDITY OF THE ASSAY METHOD....ETC. DUE TO SIGNIFICANT FIGURES.

ONE OF MY POSTS WAS RETRACTED FROM THIS BLOG BECAUSE THE EDITOR SAID THAT A SCIENTIFICALLY PEER REVIEWED PAPER ON " MYCOTOXIN TOXICITY AND THE IMMUNOCOMPROMISED PATIENT, WITH CANNABIS. " AND POOF A YEAR LATER WE NOW HAVE S.A.R.S COV-2 VIRUS....I WILL REPOST AND SEE WHAT PEOPLE HAVE TO SAY

Morning Mate :) no worries about the caps.

I understand you are posting scientific research, the problem is, many that come here (and many that have been here for that matter) only know the “Bro Science” either because they don’t know the science or because “ they heard it from a friend, who heard it from a friend, who has a friend that grows.”

Also, many are working on a “shoe string budget” and not able to afford liquid nutrients and some friend will tell them molasses is good for potassium, which is true, I use it myself as an organic source, but it is very easy to over do it with molasses.

I understand what you were putting forth, but to many here, it’s “just Greek” to them. Not all have a background in the sciences. I have a strong background in chemistry and engineering.

Being a field manager and mentor for multiple crews, doing concrete infrastructure rehabilitation, I deal with people with all levels of education on a daily basis. Many of the foreman and workers are lucky if they have a high school education, which means that when I am explaining why we have to do things a certain way, I have to do my best to explain things in a way they understand while leaving out the “science” or I lose them before I get started.

Then I have to change hats when dealing with client representatives, who are often government engineers, who do understand the science and technology.

When I am dealing face-to-face with someone, I am usually aware of their level of education, on a forum, I don’t have that ability and present any information in the way I would for my crews, not in the way I would to clients, therefore I assume I am talking to the least educated person in the room.

I was in no way trying to contradict the information you were providing:)

Morning Mate :) no worries about the caps.

I understand you are posting scientific research, the problem is, many that come here (and many that have been here for that matter) only know the “Bro Science” either because they don’t know the science or because “ they heard it from a friend, who heard it from a friend, who has a friend that grows.”

Also, many are working on a “shoe string budget” and not able to afford liquid nutrients and some friend will tell them molasses is good for potassium, which is true, I use it myself as an organic source, but it is very easy to over do it with molasses.

I understand what you were putting forth, but to many here, it’s “just Greek” to them. Not all have a background in the sciences. I have a strong background in chemistry and engineering.

Being a field manager and mentor for multiple crews, doing concrete infrastructure rehabilitation, I deal with people with all levels of education on a daily basis. Many of the foreman and workers are lucky if they have a high school education, which means that when I am explaining why we have to do things a certain way, I have to do my best to explain things in a way they understand while leaving out the “science” or I lose them before I get started.

Then I have to change hats when dealing with client representatives, who are often government engineers, who do understand the science and technology.

When I am dealing face-to-face with someone, I am usually aware of their level of education, on a forum, I don’t have that ability and present any information in the way I would for my crews, not in the way I would to clients, therefore I assume I am talking to the least educated person in the room.

I was in no way trying to contradict the information you were providing:)

CELT,

FAIR STATEMENTS! HAV3 A BLESSED WEEK AND HOPE WE BOTH CAN HELP OTHERS WITH THEIR QUESTIONS.

Hey guys sorry to bud in here but you obviously know than me and I have a question. What if I can’t get molasses and I’m undecided about using it? What can I use instead?

Back
Top Bottom