Friend's plants having unknown issue

Th3Grow3rNooB

Hi all, i hope this is the appropiate section. This is my mates plants, He said they looked a bit droopy, & upon inspecting the roots, appears they are suffering from some kind of rot, and are just fading / dying off completly. He has " Researched " Fusarium, & believes this could be the case ? He has been watering twice a day, and it is cold weather right now in this area.

Myself, upon inspecting pictures, i think it could be root bound ? These pots are 14L ( roughly 4 Gallon ), & the main trunk is only just smaller then a coke can. However, im not sure root bound plants incur the problem of rotting roots ?

Any thoughts would be awesome guys.

IMG_0355.jpg

IMG_0360.jpg

IMG_0363.jpg

IMG_0364.jpg

Yo, @Emilya , are you the attending (plant) doctor in the ER tonight, lol?

hI! Wow! That trunk is massive! I am curious about the 2x a day watering... that seems excessive, but I understand if this plant is outside, it might need that much water and it sounds like it could have used a bigger container. I would also trim out a lot of that undergrowth to try to reduce the moisture in the middle and bottom of the plant as this is usually the cause of molds and mildews. I would advise your friend to let the plant dry out a bit between waterings, and see if pulling extra oxygen down into that soil will perk the plant up.

hI! Wow! That trunk is massive! I am curious about the 2x a day watering... that seems excessive, but I understand if this plant is outside, it might need that much water and it sounds like it could have used a bigger container. I would also trim out a lot of that undergrowth to try to reduce the moisture in the middle and bottom of the plant as this is usually the cause of molds and mildews. I would advise your friend to let the plant dry out a bit between waterings, and see if pulling extra oxygen down into that soil will perk the plant up.
Hey Emilya, thankyou for this advice, but i am curious as you say, you are worried about the twice a day watering ? I have been told, and excuse me if i have misunderstood, but watering twice a day in coco when the plant is drinking alot is great for them ? I also heard you say he should be watering to runoff tiwce a day ?

E.G. My plants when i put 4L through a 4 gallon pot, will be dry on the top coco nearly an inch down after 6 or so hours. My feed in is 2.0 EC, coming out at 3.0 EC, which tells me i need to water more, as 2 EC in the past for this stage of flower has never overfed, and runoff usually around 2.4ish EC.

These plants are under way better & more lighting mind you, and are also a bit bigger.

Hey Emilya, thankyou for this advice, but i am curious as you say, you are worried about the twice a day watering ? I have been told, and excuse me if i have misunderstood, but watering twice a day in coco when the plant is drinking alot is great for them ? I also heard you say he should be watering to runoff tiwce a day ?

E.G. My plants when i put 4L through a 4 gallon pot, will be dry on the top coco nearly an inch down after 6 or so hours. My feed in is 2.0 EC, coming out at 3.0 EC, which tells me i need to water more, as 2 EC in the past for this stage of flower has never overfed, and runoff usually around 2.4ish EC.

These plants are under way better & more lighting mind you, and are also a bit bigger.
Sorry, didn't realize this was coco. Yes, it is very appropriate to water twice a day in coco. My advice was for soil, so please disregard what I said about watering frequency.

I didn't realize it was coco coir at first, either.

I saw someone feed thrice per day from the second week until the end of the flowering stretch, then increase the frequency to 5X per day, and watering until he got some runoff (probably around 10% to 15%) each time to decrease the likelihood of salt accumulation and increase the DO level. That was at a reasonably low EC. 1.3, IIRC; I suppose if you're not replenishing the oxygen as frequently in the root zone, you might need to feed at a slightly higher EC to make up for the lessened feeding efficiency. He was using relatively small containers, two-gallon (US), I think. It worked for him; he'd sometimes end up with around half a pound of (indica) bud per plant. I don't recall what brand/set of nutrients he was using, but I don't suppose it really matters. It pretty much all works.

Hi all, i hope this is the appropiate section. This is my mates plants, He said they looked a bit droopy, & upon inspecting the roots, appears they are suffering from some kind of rot, and are just fading / dying off completly. He has " Researched " Fusarium, & believes this could be the case ? He has been watering twice a day, and it is cold weather right now in this area.

Myself, upon inspecting pictures, i think it could be root bound ? These pots are 14L ( roughly 4 Gallon ), & the main trunk is only just smaller then a coke can. However, im not sure root bound plants incur the problem of rotting roots ?
Hey @Th3Grow3rNooB !

I immediately see here a section of branch that looks infected with rot... the pale brown part. It looks like it has ringed the branch, and that branch will be doomed. Notice this is not the same color as the pale green showing on the other branches which is normal. The sad thing is that this could be systemic... it may spread, or already has.

When you said, "inspecting the roots," and "dying off completely"... did you mean the branches? Have other branches already died?

Can we see a photo of the whole plant?

1660390127041.png

I didn't realize it was coco coir at first, either.

I saw someone feed thrice per day from the second week until the end of the flowering stretch, then increase the frequency to 5X per day, and watering until he got some runoff (probably around 10% to 15%) each time to decrease the likelihood of salt accumulation and increase the DO level. That was at a reasonably low EC. 1.3, IIRC; I suppose if you're not replenishing the oxygen as frequently in the root zone, you might need to feed at a slightly higher EC to make up for the lessened feeding efficiency. He was using relatively small containers, two-gallon (US), I think. It worked for him; he'd sometimes end up with around half a pound of (indica) bud per plant. I don't recall what brand/set of nutrients he was using, but I don't suppose it really matters. It pretty much all works.
Yea i have always just fed mine till 20% or so RunOff once per day. However, now i am running some good lighting, and for the first time awesome air flow/circulation, the girls are drinking and drying up to the point they need atleast twice a day, and its new to me to see the EC rise simply becaue of the agressive drinking, i guess therefore leaving behind some salts in the process ?

Thanks all for this help, literaly been amazing joining this forum. So Emilya is the " Plant ER Doctor " ? LOL

If they're transpiring a lot of moisture, and you're feeding at a high EC, they're likely leaving a lot of nutrients in the coco. Which might be why there seem to be more reports of overfeeding in the Summer season.

Back
Top Bottom