From a 2x2 175W LED to 5x5 600W LED

FaKiEGrows

420 Member
So I got some questions. My original grow is a 600 watt (175w true) and a 2x2 tent. It is currently in week 3 of flower. I was wondering with my new setup, a 3000 watt (615w true) and a 5x5 tent, can I just switch my plant into the new setup? I will also provide pics to show the grow space change and plant status.

Attachments

• 20190607_161936.jpg
    20190607_161936.jpg
    354.3 KB · Views: 146
  • 20190531_224733.jpg
    20190531_224733.jpg
    539.1 KB · Views: 120
  • 20190531_224709.jpg
    20190531_224709.jpg
    615.9 KB · Views: 133
I don't see why not. They might not be "happy" with the reduced light, though (you've just gone from 43.75 watts per square foot to 24.6 watts per square foot). I realize that your new light might(?) have a better spectrum, but probably not enough to make up for cutting the power almost in half. Assuming your first one was at all capable of growing plants and that both devices have comparable electrical efficiency, at least.

I don't see why not. They might not be "happy" with the reduced light, though (you've just gone from 43.75 watts per square foot to 24.6 watts per square foot). I realize that your new light might(?) have a better spectrum, but probably not enough to make up for cutting the power almost in half. Assuming your first one was at all capable of growing plants and that both devices have comparable electrical efficiency, at least.
Well, Im not going to be using the full space going to do 4 plants and have room around it for me walk around. The led I got is a kings led 3000w.

Cool. Do the photons know that they must stay within the space where your plants are instead of spreading around the entire tent, lol?

It's late, I've been awake for about three days straight, and don't currently have the mental prowess to dumb it down any more, sorry.

I just woke up after ₂a short nap and was going to edit the above so it didn't give the impression that I was calling you an idiot or something (as I was not, just wasn't thinking very well).

What I was getting at is that you bought a larger tent and hung a light in it. The photons (aka "light-energy") that the LED panel produces will not be confined to just the four plants in that tent, but will tend to illuminate the entire interior of the tent.

Ergo, not filling the space with plants isn't making up for the fact that you've effectively cut the level of light-energy per square foot in half - it's going to make it worse. IMHO.

Now... In reality... LED panels are (somewhat) directional devices in terms of their output, and the walls ought to be fairly reflective to light, so it won't be quite that bad. However, if you'd like to maintain the same grams per square foot production that you had in your smaller tent, I suggest you buy another one of those 615-watt LED panels and park it in your new tent along with the one you already have in there. At that point, you ought to be in the same neighborhood (again, in terms of grams per square foot) as you were before, maybe even a little higher because of the "third-light effect". However many of those square feet you then decide to fill with cannabis plants is up to you.

That's what I was getting at earlier. If you don't add more light, you'll still (in all likelihood ;) ) harvest more than before. Just probably less per square foot.

I just woke up after ₂a short nap and was going to edit the above so it didn't give the impression that I was calling you an idiot or something (as I was not, just wasn't thinking very well).

What I was getting at is that you bought a larger tent and hung a light in it. The photons (aka "light-energy") that the LED panel produces will not be confined to just the four plants in that tent, but will tend to illuminate the entire interior of the tent.

Ergo, not filling the space with plants isn't making up for the fact that you've effectively cut the level of light-energy per square foot in half - it's going to make it worse. IMHO.

Now... In reality... LED panels are (somewhat) directional devices in terms of their output, and the walls ought to be fairly reflective to light, so it won't be quite that bad. However, if you'd like to maintain the same grams per square foot production that you had in your smaller tent, I suggest you buy another one of those 615-watt LED panels and park it in your new tent along with the one you already have in there. At that point, you ought to be in the same neighborhood (again, in terms of grams per square foot) as you were before, maybe even a little higher because of the "third-light effect". However many of those square feet you then decide to fill with cannabis plants is up to you.

That's what I was getting at earlier. If you don't add more light, you'll still (in all likelihood ;) ) harvest more than before. Just probably less per square foot.
Oh ok I get yah. Yea I will most likely get another light but for the time being ill just use the one. My original grow only looks like its going to produce maybe 1 1/2 maybe 2 ounces at max so whatever more I get fr the new tent is a huge difference. Thanks for also making it more understandable.

Apologies for the poor explanation earlier. I don't communicate well when I'm really stressed out, extremely exhausted, out both.

I don't know what your budget is, but if/when considering additional lighting, you might check out Mars-Hydro's new TS and SP series. They're (more or less) white appearing in output, are relatively inexpensive, and are getting pretty good reviews. All of them except for the SP-150 are adjustable in terms of wattage, which can increase the gardener's options. And they produce different shaped footprints (depending on the model) which, along with your current light, should help you better match the footprint of your actual garden space. Plus, the company helps support this forum through it's sponsorship fees.

Wattage not enough, you might need at least move your 175w light into the flowering tent together. But it won't give you a great harvest as well, :slide: Plants needs around 40~50w/sft for flowering for the traditional blurple led grow lights,. :Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom