Gardenfaerie's Non-420 Gardening Thread

I have survived worse, but my baby is never sick and he does not know how to report symptoms, or identify pain levels and he's so hard to read.

I hope this turns out a virus, and it goes away on its own. We do not yet know what is wrong with his lungs. I can't really think about it, either.

I finally found a break in the chaos to take a walk down your garden path. Hoping to finish the 11 pages before we have to report for my husband's open heart surgery tomorrow morning.

I am in awe of your sanctuary! Actually, we both are in awe. It's a space after our own hearts. I can already hear his brain churning out plans for that water garden he's been trying to talk me into for the balcony. We've been in this tiny apartment for nine years and only had one calm year for container gardening before his health went so crazy. Now that I'm playing with living organic soil I think I'll plan another round of containers for next spring. You have inspired me again.

When I look at the before photos and then stroll through the lovely afters my heart explodes with joy. I miss my garden paths and our ponds. Thank you for this thread.

Back to reading now.

Susan :Namaste:

Free mulch is an amazing thing. The best I found around here is $15/ton for whole shredded trees, delivered.

I spent two days tearing out bat guano infested walls, not a fan of the fresh!!

The overpass reminds me of parts of Texas where they don't want my kind. I'll yippie kai yay elsewhere :)

I spent five years in Abilene attending ACU in the 70s. Wonderful people in Texas, but hell-bent on conformity. I never was much for conformity. How I miss the wildflower blooms in spring and the sweet smell of rain lilies after a storm. Someday I'll get back for a visit. I'm 60 now, so that better be soon. :laugh:

Susan

I finally found a break in the chaos to take a walk down your garden path. Hoping to finish the 11 pages before we have to report for my husband's open heart surgery tomorrow morning.

I am in awe of your sanctuary! Actually, we both are in awe. It's a space after our own hearts. I can already hear his brain churning out plans for that water garden he's been trying to talk me into for the balcony. We've been in this tiny apartment for nine years and only had one calm year for container gardening before his health went so crazy. Now that I'm playing with living organic soil I think I'll plan another round of containers for next spring. You have inspired me again.

When I look at the before photos and then stroll through the lovely afters my heart explodes with joy. I miss my garden paths and our ponds. Thank you for this thread.

Back to reading now.

Susan :Namaste:

Susan, what sweet words. We love our backyard. When we decided to sell the house a few months ago, the realtor came and told us we have to convert the back into turf and get rid of some of the beds and one of the ponds, etc...we just gave up and decided not to sell and just stay put. However, if we found someone who wanted the house as it is with the wildlife backyard habitat, pool and ponds...well, for sale!

If I think of someone moving in here, ripping out my beds, returning the back to grass where none of the wildlife can go, it breaks my heart. We put our hearts and soul into the property and still do. We love the trees we planted and watched grow, all the perennials. But, like I said, if someone loved it and would continue to grow the gardens for the wildlife, I'd sell it tomorrow.

I know just how you feel. Before we moved into this cozy apartment with just a balcony we had a house with a lovely garden that I had coaxed over twenty years and was filled with blooming plants - heritage iris from my mother, peonies rescued from a deceased neighbor's home when the new owners planned to trash them, herbs and perennials I loved dearly and a gorgeous koi pond with a garden railroad to keep Dale entertained. :laughtwo:

When we lost the house it was in such disrepair that we donated it to the local fire department. They played fireman games and demolished the structure. Then they cut everything down and buried it under three feet of gravel to bring it level so they could use it as a parking lot. I still stop periodically to stand in that desolate lot and listen for the ghostly peals of laughter that used to always be found there. Life moves on.

Keep focusing on that special someone who would appreciate the peaceful paradise you and Mark have created there. Keep thanking the cosmos for leading that perfect candidate to you and try not to be surprised when they show up. From my perspective it's a treasure waiting to be discovered.

I know just how you feel. Before we moved into this cozy apartment with just a balcony we had a house with a lovely garden that I had coaxed over twenty years and was filled with blooming plants - heritage iris from my mother, peonies rescued from a deceased neighbor's home when the new owners planned to trash them, herbs and perennials I loved dearly and a gorgeous koi pond with a garden railroad to keep Dale entertained. :laughtwo:

When we lost the house it was in such disrepair that we donated it to the local fire department. They played fireman games and demolished the structure. Then they cut everything down and buried it under three feet of gravel to bring it level so they could use it as a parking lot. I still stop periodically to stand in that desolate lot and listen for the ghostly peals of laughter that used to always be found there. Life moves on.

Keep focusing on that special someone who would appreciate the peaceful paradise you and Mark have created there. Keep thanking the cosmos for leading that perfect candidate to you and try not to be surprised when they show up. From my perspective it's a treasure waiting to be discovered.

Sweetsue, I don't know if we met before this. Admittedly, I have not been around much these days. I have a lot of work going on in my life. IKEA is coming to my house in a few days to do a home study. They interview us and take photos. We get a gift out of the deal. I'm hoping the gift is a bathroom remodel! Haha, I doubt it. The house is only 15 years old and we are original owners so it is in great shape. Realtors want you to wipe yourself off the entire house in order to sell it and maybe it is that way, but where we live the market is dry, no inventory at all and tens of thousands moving here every year to my city. Well, I use the term "city" loosely.

I'm from NY so any city outside of that is really just a town to me.

I am also sorry to hear about the way you lost the house, but you have one another and really if I lost it all, but Mark and I were okay, I'd be fine and just start over. I've done it before when I lost my entire life to fire...twice.

I'm very new to the art of growing cannabis. I resisted the call for years, playing by the rules. As Dale got sicker I found I didn't much care for that approach. We've never played by the rules in our 33 years together. I've just recently discovered this site, after stumbling onto PeeJay's journal last month and getting pulled into the idea of living organic soil. Your writing mesmerizes me. We are something of birds of a feather, in that we aren't shy about putting ourselves into our writing, so of course I found my way here.

By the time we gave up the house the children were out on their own, and with Dale's health doing a nosedive it was impossible to keep up. All I've ever really cared about anyway was being with Dale and keeping him safe and healthy. Our current place suits us well. 750 square feet is easy to keep up and the balcony is shared by our daughter, who lives in the adjacent apartment. A safe and clean building with reasonable rent and utility cost, a wonderful landlord and the luxury of a balcony. This place is literally right next to the building where Dale and I met and got to know each other by returning to our friends' apartment every Friday night for nine months, auspiciously to play Risk. Our lives came full circle and ended up here. Life is sweet. We taught our children that you can survive without anything but water and the love and support of your family, whomever you define them to be. It helps if the water is hot and running.

And hey - I think that bathroom remodel sounds like an excellent gift! Too bad they probably won't ask you what you'd like.

Somewhere out there is an adventurous realtor just hoping to find a place like yours. Someone who understands that playing by the rules is boring and that taking the occasional risk usually pays off much better commissions. When the time is right it will all fall into place. There I go again, oozing positivity. :laughtwo:

Positivity always wins in my camp. It all comes down to how much attachment I have to things. I am right between a really great 800 foot apartment with a small outdoor space and hanging on to a house we are definitely winding out of. I'm 59 in December and can't do what I used to do outside. My husband is not a gardener, just my helper, and I don't want him to feel he has to do stuff for me. I'm not that type of wife. I have very little expectations and the result is a very willing husband. Ironically.

I definitely put myself out there. I have nothing to hide from anybody. I know who I am and I rarely give a shit who likes it or not. When I'm weak, I care. When I'm myself, I could not care less and I do not play games with people's heads. I would never even consider telling someone else what to say or how to live their lives. Me, I'm a liberal. That's who I am.

Ha! You've described me to a "T". What you see is what you get. That's what drew me into your posts.

Back
Top Bottom