General rules of thumb about strains... is larger yielding strains weaker?

KarlJay

I've been thinking about changing strains. I'm running OG Rascal and Mr NiceGuy. I've been told they are medium yield plants and they are supposed to be pretty strong (THC content).

I'm thinking about changing things up a bit. I might buy some samples 1st, but was just wondering about what to expect.

I've been told that some are naturally larger / higher yielding, so I'm concerned about overall size.

The other issue is the flowering time, currently they are taking near 10 weeks to finish.

Q. Do the shorter flower-time plants produce a weaker product or smaller yields?

Q. Are larger plants usually weaker?

The answer to your questions is no.

That really does not help you, so...

What do you want? Figure that out first like, high yield or does that matter? what sort of effect (for what)? what size can you handle? Then ask something like

I want a x yield plant that grows x and works well for x anyone know what might fit?

I'd say that you just need to go for it and try different strains and take it from there.

Basically what I mean is, look for a strain with the qualities that you like, for instance I try to look for a strain that advertise a flowering time of 9 weeks at the most, because this time frame coincides with my veg time so I can keep a perpetual cycle and harvest every 60 days (more or less). Obviously you can prolong veg time for as long as you want but the more you wait, the bigger the plant gets and I only grow for myself so I don't need to many plants or grow them as trees, and I have limited space so this time frame works perfect for me.
Another trade that I look for is taste and smell, for instance I've tried (smoked, not grown) some cheese varieties that actually do smell and taste like cheese... Needless to say I'd rather smoke dried elephant crap than a cheese variety, however a lot of people seem to like it you might as well give it a try if it interest you. I personally like the fruity and citric varieties. In this regard I'd strongly recommend AK-48; it yields a huge amount and the buds are incredible dense and rock hard, the taste and smell is amazing and the effects are more upbeat instead of couchlock (although this also depends on when you harvest)
When it comes to size that's something you can control using one or several trimming techniques. I'm experimenting with LST and the results are quite amazing, I didn't believe the difference would be that much but it is.

As to your first question, a shorter flowering time does not produce a weaker product, that depends on the strain, i.e. two strains could have a flowering time of 7 weeks and one be weaker than the other.
As to the yield, you could argue that if a plant spends more time flowering than another then it would be bigger and hence yield more. This is true up to a certain extent because the yield also depends a lot on several factors, like what you use for nutes, what kind of light, its distance to the plant, other environmental like temps and RH, etc. there are too many variables so I wouldn't be able to give you a definite answer, like at said at the beginning, give it a go and see for yourself what works for you the best,.

As to your second question, I don't even know why would you think that. But anyway the answer is no.

I agree with Buckshot, try to figure out what you want from your crop and take it from there.

Hope this helps

Good luck and happy growing!

I'm a fan of Indica Dominant strains. I just wrapped up a grow with some Holy Grail Kush.

The next grow will be exclusively Holy Grail Kush.

Pictures and words do not give the strain justice. I don't know how it could possibly be any better or improved upon.

That's my two cents.

strains like trainwreck can be commercially cut at 7 weeks with heavy yields and be potent as hell but take it to 9 weeks and u will get alot more weight and it will blow ur head off.

so the answer to ur question is no.

figure out what u are looking for. if its commercial pick a strain with a balance of yield and quality such as trainwreck, A.M.S or an ice strain. but they just my preferences. u need to experiment. and just because u grow a strain and it doesnt seem right, dont give up on it, as there are different phenos of a strain all producing slight variations on the strain. Think of it like siblings, they are blood related but all have individual personalites and traits, thats the best way i can describe it.

good luck

ps i operate a 9-10 week turn around including veg time and average around the 8oz per plant mark and its quality. my plants never get taller than 3' indoors.

Back
Top Bottom