GG#4 with nuts? What is this?

CharlieWaffles

This girl has been so frustrating. From roots with algae, to stunted growth, colas so big light can’t penetrate them, a few other issues and now this? This gg4 auto is at approx day 140. She’s way over due but did have a period of stunting. I chopped her main top cola yesterday so I could lower the lights and hopefully help the rest of her finish up. But when I went to give the chopped top a quick wet trim I discovered this? Are these little sacs cause for concern? So far I haven’t found any clusters, just these little balls. Is she trying to hermie or has she already? Or is there no cause for concern?
Thanks so much for everyone’s thoughts and help.

6E8AE448-0E5C-4124-A1FE-4F0B661D2C4B.jpeg

3F474D70-E85B-4735-B433-ECAC7421278B.jpeg

DEF514A9-A7AE-43CE-955A-FDE12428FD57.jpeg

7F5B5921-D411-4260-980C-FDC66975867B.jpeg

Hey @charliewaffles, just checking in here... looks like this was resolved. No hard seeds in those swollen bracts?

What Charlie is showing are bracts, not calyxes. When a bract is fully swollen, that's typically a sign that there's a seed in there (i.e. it was pollinated). They are also frequently seen as somewhat swollen, with no seed, as single bracts coming out of the node.
Hundreds/thousands of those “pods” are bracts and that’s what the pistols come out
Yes, the buds are made up of clusters of seedless bracts. The pistil is the reproductive part inside the bract. Two stigmas (hairs) are associated with each pistil.

BTW, do we have a page here on the forum for cannabis flower anatomy? That would be a good thing... for the correct terminology.

:tommy:

Hey Cw I noticed in your pics a long dead stem from a leaf that had been pinched and another half stem from a recent plucking, You should always try to pinch as close to the stalk or stem as possible, that long brown Piece is a perfect place for gray mold to start if conditions are rite, Just a heads up,

Hey @charliewaffles, just checking in here... looks like this was resolved. No hard seeds in those swollen bracts?

What Charlie is showing are bracts, not calyxes. When a bract is fully swollen, that's typically a sign that there's a seed in there (i.e. it was pollinated). They are also frequently seen as somewhat swollen, with no seed, as single bracts coming out of the node.

Yes, the buds are made up of clusters of seedless bracts. The pistil is the reproductive part inside the bract. Two stigmas (hairs) are associated with each pistil.

BTW, do we have a page here on the forum for cannabis flower anatomy? That would be a good thing... for the correct terminology.

:tommy:

I would totally want to know if he had seeds.
I too know that if the bracts are swollen there should be a seed inside.

Swollen bracts will only have a seed inside if the pistils are curled back and brown; showing indicative signs of having been pollinated. Those single (pair) of bracts at the nodes have always been swollen on my mature plants.

I too thought they were holding seeds. Every time I would break them open there would be nothing.

Swollen bracts will only have a seed inside if the pistils are curled back and brown; showing indicative signs of having been pollinated. Those single (pair) of bracts at the nodes have always been swollen on my mature plants.

I too thought they were holding seeds. Every time I would break them open there would be nothing.
I'm seeing a single stigma coming out of some of those bracts on OP's plants. The stigmas are definitely not fresh/white looking.

@charliewaffles

Did the swollen bracts have any seeds? I see a bud chopped in your hand at one point in the post.

Not fresh and white looking is one thing. Once pollinated the pistils will definitely turn brown or red. Sorry for not saying for sure, I am a touch color blind. They end up looking like they got fried in the oven.

Given the other issues the OP experienced, it is possible it hermied a touch. I really doubt it though. My experiences are just that; my experiences.

I used to have CBD plants (Harley-Tsu & AC/DC) I kept as bonsai plants and after a couple years the single bracts at the nodes would swell up to the size of chocolate chips when the plant was flowering. They were always empty and void of any seeds. I would routinely rip them off and mash between my fingers to get a good whiff of the plant.

This is why I assume they are empty. Perhaps the OP could chime in again and let us know if any were harboring seeds.

Back
Top Bottom