GHS Trainwreck, Rainforest system

Love the vortex sprayer in the RF, would love to have several smaller versions to fit into 5 gallon buckets...its just not designed to grow 4-6 medium size plants....im sure its one hell of a cloner with that other top piece..

Any pics of the new grow Boli?

I'll post a few tonight (after lights on) in the thread in my sig if you've still got that one bookmarked. I've been keeping a pictorial record and paper journal on this one, but don't plan on another online journal for it though. Will probably do that when I get the E&G going.

hey tasty looking bud my friend! I harvest the l s d yesterday. Speaking of getting choked in the Rain Forest, I thought I had 4 plants rocking in there and turns out 2 were runts that were basically worthless. It gets so crazy with the rf I hadnt even realized, which means 2 plants that were LST'd like crazy had about 20 tops and took the entire space over.I think if i use the rf again it would be just 2 plants..

You get the next one rolling?

What did you think of the Barneys l.s.d? I am looking at that and the
blue cheese for next go around but for this sesh I already have 5 nirvana auroura in the RF about 2 weeks into veg. I will be using the scrog method. Yea I had 1 runt out of the bunch, started of so good but got over grown by the other 4 and ended up yielding shit of it. I think it comes down to space. I think the RF with 5 plants would work but not a sativa strain with in a 4 by 4 area, way to tight. How are things turning out on your end?

Tasty-looking buds, Dogstick. I know it's hard to knock the RF when you're smoking its product...

I'm about a month into my second grow, and I'm only doing 3 plants this time. I figure that's about the max number with this unit and the 5x5 tent it's in. Although the first grow wasn't all that tough, the second one sure is going smoother. I'll be pulling this sometime in June, and will start putting together an Ebb & Gro for the fall. I too am undecided about the role of the RF after that.

Yo Bolivar, yea you are right on the nose with 3 in the 5 by 5 area you have. With this last grow it was so tight in the ten half way down the plant was darkness. I think if I could have let them spread there wings might have ended up with a better yield and not so much scraggle. We will see what 5 indicas with the scrog method will do in that samll area. I think it will turn out better if all goes right and I actually have a even canopy. Yea whenever I get funds I would like to go that route with the ebb and flow too, way easier than growing out of the RF.

Love the vortex sprayer in the RF, would love to have several smaller versions to fit into 5 gallon buckets...its just not designed to grow 4-6 medium size plants....im sure its one hell of a cloner with that other top piece..

Ain't that the truth. Have you had any issues with your pump.? Mine started of making this damn screaching noise but thankfully went away and has been working fine from then on. Maybe you could get 4-6 clones in that unit but from seeds good luck.

Hey Guys.

Hope you don't mind me jumping in here. I've been helping a gent with his recent purchase of a RainForest system. I'm an owner of an EcoGrower myself, which is similar to the RainForest, except mine is a drip system, where yours are aeropoinics?

Anyway, I couldn't help notice that you guys were talking about the limitations of the unit and SIZE of plants and manageability is not very easy. I concur with you both on this. I also saw that you guys were discussing what to do with the units, if/when you move over to something else. I finished my first grow with the EcoGrower, and I can't really complain about the output, the plants finished very tall and quite bushy, albeit I gave my first run with bag seed, I was impressed with the yield, and my 400W light.

So now currently, I'm trying a LowRyder AutoFlower strain in the unit. I figure if the only drawback is the height, then perhaps this might be the ticket. Granted I have another larger grow going in another room, but thought I might share this possibility with you guys for future possibilities. Unfortunately, I can't give you an opinion either way, I'm only 2 weeks into the grow. But if you guys check out my journal, I'll be posting updates along the way.

Anyway, I'm sorry to barge into your thread. I referenced your thread to the individual that just purchased his RainForest, and I'd expect he'll stop by, and hopefully say hello. I'm sure he'll learn a bit from your journal.

Hope you guys have a great weekend.

Sincerely,
SF

Hey Guys.

Hope you don't mind me jumping in here. I've been helping a gent with his recent purchase of a RainForest system. I'm an owner of an EcoGrower myself, which is similar to the RainForest, except mine is a drip system, where yours are aeropoinics?

Anyway, I couldn't help notice that you guys were talking about the limitations of the unit and SIZE of plants and manageability is not very easy. I concur with you both on this. I also saw that you guys were discussing what to do with the units, if/when you move over to something else. I finished my first grow with the EcoGrower, and I can't really complain about the output, the plants finished very tall and quite bushy, albeit I gave my first run with bag seed, I was impressed with the yield, and my 400W light.

So now currently, I'm trying a LowRyder AutoFlower strain in the unit. I figure if the only drawback is the height, then perhaps this might be the ticket. Granted I have another larger grow going in another room, but thought I might share this possibility with you guys for future possibilities. Unfortunately, I can't give you an opinion either way, I'm only 2 weeks into the grow. But if you guys check out my journal, I'll be posting updates along the way.

Anyway, I'm sorry to barge into your thread. I referenced your thread to the individual that just purchased his RainForest, and I'd expect he'll stop by, and hopefully say hello. I'm sure he'll learn a bit from your journal.

Sincerely,
SF

Yo, If you have a larger room you could grow 5 out of the RF no prob. In my scenerio it was a small room plus a sativa strain plus I topped the shit out of it and that was a mistake. I thikn with a smaller stout plant like the indica will work out just fine and dandy. Are you switching over to the RF or just your buddy. Good job with your first grow using the ecogrower, great system. Any questions ask away, here to help out bro. goodluck

Hey Guys.

Sincerely,
SF

I've just been reading your journal and am very interested in it. I plan to get an Ebb & Gro next grow and am soaking up all the info I can get.

I was going to try a LowRyder in the RF, but decided to go with some strains I really wanted to try, but use a 12/12 from start to finish to see if the plant size might be held down a bit. Mine almost reached the reflector last grow, and I don't want to do that anymore.

I got as far as the post about the 419 pipe in your journal, then went off to that thread, and ended up ordering a pipe....

Yo, If you have a larger room you could grow 5 out of the RF no prob. In my scenerio it was a small room plus a sativa strain plus I topped the shit out of it and that was a mistake. I thikn with a smaller stout plant like the indica will work out just fine and dandy. Are you switching over to the RF or just your buddy. Good job with your first grow using the ecogrower, great system. Any questions ask away, here to help out bro. goodluck

I've just been reading your journal and am very interested in it. I plan to get an Ebb & Gro next grow and am soaking up all the info I can get.

I was going to try a LowRyder in the RF, but decided to go with some strains I really wanted to try, but use a 12/12 from start to finish to see if the plant size might be held down a bit. Mine almost reached the reflector last grow, and I don't want to do that anymore.

I got as far as the post about the 419 pipe in your journal, then went off to that thread, and ended up ordering a pipe....

Hey Guys. I think I was pretty much in the same "boat" as both of you. I was/am a beginner, I wanted to stay pretty "small", my closet is 6wx8dx7h, so pretty limited size to deal with. I hadn't thought about what you both suggested; one, a different strain, or two, doing 12/12 from the onset.

I'm can't say anything really negative about the EcoGrower, other than it's a "pain" to drain the res completely, because when the plants get so big, it's a little hard to tip the unit to get all the water out. And yep, same here, my plants grew into the lighting fixture, I just didn't know any better to tie it down. Oh well, live an learn.

Thanks Bolivar for checking out my journal. I'm really sold on the ebb-n-grow, and if you have the space then it's really the way to go, especially after dealing with hydro and the Rainforest, you'll have the knowledge to make some really nice plants. Even doing six buckets and the return will be evident.

:thumb: for the 419 piece. I think you'll be really pleased!

Well I'm subscribed to both of your journals. Hope this is a start of a new 420 friendship.

Have a great night.
SF

I'm can't say anything really negative about the EcoGrower, other than it's a "pain" to drain the res completely, because when the plants get so big, it's a little hard to tip the unit to get all the water out.

SF, about completely draining that hexagonal monster, I have a ShopVac, and next change I'm going to put one of those pump socks over the end of the hose and try getting the last bit out that way. It should work.

:thumb: for the 419 piece. I think you'll be really pleased!

Can't wait. I just broke my nice glass bubbler and needed something besides the cheap Indian mini-hookah that I've been using. I may break that one on purpose...

And I posted a fix in the 419 thread for the no-mouthpiece problem: I'm going to put a piece of clear pvc tubing over the end of the steel tube for a mouthpiece. That should work great.

12/12 from start for sure if your going to fill her up, they just go hog wild with that sprayer....

Let me tell you about hog wild....

Last grow (my first) I ran lights 24/0 until flowering. Holy jesus... I'm comparing pics from this grow with that one, and the plants are easily twice the size under 24/0. Don't ever do that if you're squeezed for headroom.

What did you think of the Barneys l.s.d? I am looking at that and the
blue cheese for next go around but for this sesh I already have 5 nirvana auroura in the RF about 2 weeks into veg. I will be using the scrog method. Yea I had 1 runt out of the bunch, started of so good but got over grown by the other 4 and ended up yielding shit of it. I think it comes down to space. I think the RF with 5 plants would work but not a sativa strain with in a 4 by 4 area, way to tight. How are things turning out on your end?

I like the barneys l s d alot, easy to grow although a bit sluggish on the start but once they got rolling it got crazy quick...nice thick resin glazed buds and a real stoney buzz..(some pics in my gallery)

also finishing up their violator, the buds are toppling over and the sample knocked me on my ass....

Let me tell you about hog wild....

Last grow (my first) I ran lights 24/0 until flowering. Holy jesus... I'm comparing pics from this grow with that one, and the plants are easily twice the size under 24/0. Don't ever do that if you're squeezed for headroom.

lol i did the same thing, just stopped stretching in time, couldnt raise the light another inch...yes Barneys Violator,xmas tree buds....

SF, about completely draining that octagonal monster, I have a ShopVac, and next change I'm going to put one of those pump socks over the end of the hose and try getting the last bit out that way. It should work.

Ahhh. Good suggestion. I actually attach a 1/4" pvc connector to the drain hose built into the RF unit, then I attach pvc tubing (as extension) to a small garden hose pump that I bought from home improvement store. It drains everything until it get to the height of the grommet, then as I mentioned I have to tip it forward to get the last bit of water out of the unit. It works really well, until you have a plant the size of Little Shop of Horrors. I had all slots filled up, so I wasn't able to place a shop vac hose down one of the holes.

As a side note, I saw you mentioned on another post what that little hole is for on the top of the unit, the one with the plug. As I mentioned I use a pump to drain the res. On the flip side, I switch the hoses around on the pump, then I use it to fill the reservoir from a separate bucket that I mix the nutes in. That little hole will accept 1/4 pvc tubing, again when all slots are filled, this would be the method to fill the reservoir.

(make sense?)

Can't wait. I just broke my nice glass bubbler and needed something besides the cheap Indian mini-hookah that I've been using. I may break that one on purpose...

And I posted a fix in the 419 thread for the no-mouthpiece problem: I'm going to put a piece of clear pvc tubing over the end of the steel tube for a mouthpiece. That should work great.

I saw all those posts about the mouth piece. After getting the pipe, it's really not an issue. You may think you'll use your teeth more than you actually do. Regardless, I'm sure you'll really dig the pipe. Please let me know your opinions when you get it.

Finally, Dogstick, never intended on a thread jack. Hopefully, you'll agree, I'm just sharing some experiences. My apologies in advance, if necessary.

:peace:
SF

Hi. I'm the "gent" Stinkfinger mentioned above. I've found SF's tips, and more recently, Bolivar's input very helpful as I'm preparing to launch my first more seirous grow and first hydroponic adventure. I keep noticing odds and ends that I've overlooked and scramble to get things organized to minimize the stumbling blocks along the way.

I have a RainForest 66 aero unit. It came, as you know, with 6 x 6" baskets, coco liners and lids, hydroton, 3 part nutes and vortex spray unit. I have also acquired Grow Plugs, a pH/EC/PPM meter, Connoisseur A/B bloom nutes, and put together the DIY odor elimination unit that Roseman describes elsewhere, using ONA Gel Pro. I plan to order pH up/down solutions and an air diffuser/bubbler to put in the reservoir. I have seeds from AMS for White Widow, Cheese, and Medijuana (a 20-25% THC Indica). I have a 600 watt HPS lamp with reflector. I also have a 3 speed large window fan that I use to blow at the light from below and "wind" the plants a bit for stem strength.

I thought the nutes would buffer the solution and pH adjustments wouldn't be necessary, but it sounds like you guys used it to make adjustments along the way, so I figured I should get some too. Also, my plan was to use the HPS light for everything. I would germinate the seeds either on the wet paper towel sandwiched between plates, or just put the seed directly in the grow plugs and moisten them. I don't have a T5 fluorescent light. I do have a standard 4' double bulb fluorescent fixture I could use, if that's better than using the HPS with seedlings. What do you think?

Will I need a pump of some sort to change the reservoir? I thought I would just lift the lid and dump, but it sounds like that gets unwieldy as the plants get big. I only have 6 baskets, and probably less plants once males are removed or any plants don't make it along the way.

What else? I'm I overlooking any details, products, etc.?

I'm inspired by you guys. Keep up the great work.

Hi. I'm the "gent" Stinkfinger mentioned above. I've found SF's tips, and more recently, Bolivar's input very helpful as I'm preparing to launch my first more seirous grow and first hydroponic adventure. I keep noticing odds and ends that I've overlooked and scramble to get things organized to minimize the stumbling blocks along the way.

I have a RainForest 66 aero unit. It came, as you know, with 6 x 6" baskets, coco liners and lids, hydroton, 3 part nutes and vortex spray unit. I have also acquired Grow Plugs, a pH/EC/PPM meter, Connoisseur A/B bloom nutes, and put together the DIY odor elimination unit that Roseman describes elsewhere, using ONA Gel Pro. I plan to order pH up/down solutions and an air diffuser/bubbler to put in the reservoir. I have seeds from AMS for White Widow, Cheese, and Medijuana (a 20-25% THC Indica). I have a 600 watt HPS lamp with reflector. I also have a 3 speed large window fan that I use to blow at the light from below and "wind" the plants a bit for stem strength.

Hey whats up Lassus, welcome

I thought the nutes would buffer the solution and pH adjustments wouldn't be necessary, but it sounds like you guys used it to make adjustments along the way, so I figured I should get some too. Also, my plan was to use the HPS light for everything. I would germinate the seeds either on the wet paper towel sandwiched between plates, or just put the seed directly in the grow plugs and moisten them. I don't have a T5 fluorescent light. I do have a standard 4' double bulb fluorescent fixture I could use, if that's better than using the HPS with seedlings. What do you think?

Will I need a pump of some sort to change the reservoir? I thought I would just lift the lid and dump, but it sounds like that gets unwieldy as the plants get big. I only have 6 baskets, and probably less plants once males are removed or any plants don't make it along the way.

Hey whats up Lassus,

pick yourself up a battery op siphon from home depot,it will make things much easier ( although if your planning to fill all 6 that will become an issue)..Id go with fluros with the seedlings if you have it...and as mentioned before dont veg to long if at all..

Gluck man!

Sounds like you're ready to go.
And you've got the top of the line nutes with AN Connoisseur.

I had no need of any odor elimination first grow at all. I simply couldn't smell anything outside the room I have the tent in. Apparently I got lucky on the strains chosen, so I can't advise on odor control.

Your 600W lamp is going to produce perhaps more heat than you expect. You'll have to vent that heat out of the grow area in warm weather. OTOH, you'll get great production from it with the RF. I used a 400W and got over 10 oz.

Your res pH is very important. It can vary due to temps, plant usage of nutes and elimination of waste, and what can only be described as causes known only to God. I stopped using RO water because it's so finicky with pH. Now I just adjust my tap water down to where I want it (low side of the optimal band) and let it creep up until it gets to the high side. So far, that usually coincides with a res change, so not much adjustment after getting it initially.
As for ppm/EC readings, I checked that every day last grow, and haven't even taken out the meter this grow (which is a month old now). I will be checking it again later when I start changing nute amounts and ratios, but I can't say it helped me that much last grow.

I used my HID light from seedling to harvest last grow (after mistakenly using a regular flourescent for the first week of germination, which caused stretching). Just germinate the seeds in the paper towels, and hang the 600W high at first. And although I used a MH lamp during growth last grow, I'm leaving the HPS in all the way this time. The plants seem to be happy.

As for changing the res, you can lift the lid off at first, and just set it on top of a 32-gal plastic garbage pail while you dump your res, but it soon gets to be unworkable when the plants get bigger and the roots get more spread out.
If you've got all 6 sections full I'm not sure how you're going to drain, other than from the bottom grommet hole of the water level indicator like someone else recommended. (Another reason for not using all the pots.) If you're going to leave a section open, you'll need a pump or a shopvac to get most of the water out. I run mine with 11-12 gallons in it, and that weighs around 90 pounds, so it'd be tough to pick up and dump out.

Good luck with the grow. Be detail-conscious on your first grow, and take what other people would consider too much time on making sure you don't forget or overlook something. When your second grow comes around, you'll know what needs time and attention and what doesn't. I'm probably doing a lot more this grow, but it seems like I'm doing a lot less because I'm not spending as much time doing it. I'm glad I over-analyzed everything first time around because it turned out to be a good way to learn the ropes. And people here are really patient with new growers, so don't worry about being a pest with questions. You'll ask fewer as time goes on, and will be answering more than you ask eventually...

MAn you guys are on it, well doje. Yea I use a seperate 20 gal trash can, filll in that and use a transfer pump for both fill and draining the rez. As for the ph, I dont use much up but every rez cycle I make sure it it swings from 6.4 to 5.4. You dont want your ph to stay at 1 spot cause certan nutes are taken up at different ph levels and you dont want to swing it more than .5 a day. I use both mh and hps if you had to pick 1 hps is your best bet. And six plants might work through veg but no way through flowering. The roots by then will be so tangled. Make sure you keep the rez 72 degrees and below. good luck

So you don't think it will possible for me to use the RF 66 to harvest?? This is becoming complex. I would have thought that intermingling of the roots, if that should happen, wouldn't be a problem assuming they are adequately perfused with air rich nutrients. Or do you suppose they will strangle themselves?

Alternatively, I could plan on not using all 6 baskets. It was already suggested that I keep at least one basket unused in order to facilitate reservoir changing with a siphon pump. Thanks in advance for your advice folks.

Back
Top Bottom