GreenKitty's 2nd Grow - Shining Silver Haze by RQS - CFL - Soil

Kitty, what's your water and soil PH?

-J.

Soil should have been about 6.8-7 in the beginning because I did the first watering with tap water that has a PH of around 7, but my first grow I used tap water and it was mostly fine... I did screw up on this one, should have been more careful, used bottled water and didn't water the dirt so much, because I used a hose and I put way too much water, I left it outside and waited until there was no run off. Now should have fallen to around 6.7 with me putting water with a PH of about 6.5 on it.

I don't have a digital or analog PH meter :( I do have some Paper pH testers but they're basically useless :/ So kind of flying a little bit blind, but those estimates should be pretty good.

Today's pics:

WP_0007041.jpg
WP_0007031.jpg

GK, I use this one..

soil-ph-meter-gardman-16056-small.gif

I got it for $10 for my local chain hardware store. If you can't get one where you are and pay postage. I can pick one up and post it to you. Otherwise I'm sure you can get em online..

-J.

Aw thank you so much for the offer. I could normally get one, it just that we're a little bit broke right now being the Christmas aftermath and such, so I can buy any additional expenses, in about a week I'll try and get one from a local store I'm sure they have them somewhere over here.

The plant keeps growing and that's really the only thing that needs to keep happening right now, with the first feed/flush with lower PHed water with nutrition I'm sure she'll be fine. Though I will be picking one of those pH meters up asap still.

Hey GreenKitty, love the passion, after all half the joy is growing it.

Subbed for more if you don't mind, i wish you the best on your second grow!

Haze genetics are kinda sketchy, definitely not the ones that i would recommend for someone who's getting into it. Cultivation school differs from the regular school we all attend at a younger age, where we first study the lessons and then take the tests. Here you first take the test and then get the lesson. However growing today isn't what is used to be 10 years ago, internet has changed everything and just by doing your research you manage to grow at a respectable level (like you've done it for years).

With that being said, what you got over there is definitely a problem, not a big one or one that cannot be repaired. You are still way early into it (just went into veg from what i see from the pics) and if i had to guess as to what your leaves are showing, i would say it's probably a Potassium deficiency. I'd start adding some small dosages of nuts to help with it.

Don't take my word for it tho, and definitely do your own research first, before you make any major decisions.
Be carefull tho, having bigger medium than recommended through stages can make it difficult when it comes to dealing with salts in your soil, you wouldn't wanna stun your plant. If you do add them nuts make sure you give them time to flush between feeds so you can avoid those types of problems.

That's all for now. Again, i hope everything goes well and keep it green :volcano-smiley:

A bit late as per usual, but subbed, good luck with your second grow!
I wouldn't be too sure if it is a PH problem, nonetheless I would recommend getting a gadget, they're not too expensive (for example the one Jesstar recommended). I had problems with PH and they can stun a plant severely, also a good balanced PH will allow your plant to grow at an optimum rate with optimum nutrient uptake. (And now I will close the cliché book :) good luck!)

Hey GreenKitty, love the passion, after all half the joy is growing it.

Subbed for more if you don't mind, i wish you the best on your second grow!

Haze genetics are kinda sketchy, definitely not the ones that i would recommend for someone who's getting into it. Cultivation school differs from the regular school we all attend at a younger age, where we first study the lessons and then take the tests. Here you first take the test and then get the lesson. However growing today isn't what is used to be 10 years ago, internet has changed everything and just by doing your research you manage to grow at a respectable level (like you've done it for years).

[...]

That's all for now. Again, i hope everything goes well and keep it green :volcano-smiley:

Welcome, enjoy the ride :3 In my journals I try to document everything and put lots of pictures to help new growers, like me I might need these in the future, diagnose their own plans and have more knowledge. Genetics do play a part definetely, I'm pretty sure my last grow had the medium at a fairly high pH, I put the plant in the same large medium almost from seed and none of this, but it was an auto. I decided to take on a different strand and a photoperiodic one, so lots to learn, and as you'll see down in the pictures I have more info about her condition!

A bit late as per usual, but subbed, good luck with your second grow!
I wouldn't be too sure if it is a PH problem, nonetheless I would recommend getting a gadget, they're not too expensive (for example the one Jesstar recommended). I had problems with PH and they can stun a plant severely, also a good balanced PH will allow your plant to grow at an optimum rate with optimum nutrient uptake. (And now I will close the cliché book :) good luck!)

Better late than never, and you've come pretty early, it's the 3rd week, she's pretty small but the next week or two, assuming the growth doesn't stunt, are going to be exciting times!

-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/

Now for more information about her condition, we can analyse the following photos (wth I'm talking so professional and formal ^^):

WP_000706_03.JPG

As said in HERE "I used a very light amount of nutrition with some water to try and fix things before the 3rd week, no sign of anything going wrong" And I indeed saw the new growth without symptoms until now as the picture above shows, but because maybe the nutrients weren't enough and not enough water to pull down the ph of the medium enough she is still showing advancement of symptoms in the new grow as well as worsening of the previous damage:

WP_000707_04.JPG
WP_000708_05.JPG

The great post by rifleman HERE gave me these very useful images:

cannabis_leaf-deficiencies312.jpeg

pH_chart71.jpeg

And because of the burning tips here:

WP_0006992.jpg

Which has appeared on more leafs, I think that it's most likely Potassium deficiency, but I was afraid that the pH of the medium was also high to begin with, because of the water used. Because usually you have to fix ph before doing something else, I tried to lower the ph with badly made flushes, not using enough water, and glad they were badly made because she would have gotten worse! But this last one brought nutes which I credit the new growth being mostly fine for a day or two, but the nutrition was too low.

Now I will act, I will risk having her get some overwatering issues. I have 5 liters of water with a ph of 6, bottled water, I will put half in another jug, add 1/4th water with a ph of 7 to bring it up a little bit, then use one jug to flush the system, then use the other jug with nutrients to feed her.

Wish me luck and that I've got this right as a Potassium deficiency :)

Hey GreenKitty,

I am also a new grower, and will be subbing this grow. I just caught up to the present, and I like your journal for a couple reasons: fellow newbie (even though I love to garden), using fluorescent lights (I am vegging a bunch of seedlings and clones) and your photo series. I have not compiled it yet, but I did a timelapse of one of my Applejack seedlings, unfortunately not from the get go though... I am using a GoPro, and have it plugged in to not die; it is taking a picture once a minute, and I could watch the video over and over! I am flipping my big plants to flower tomorrow, and have moved the timelapse over to that (I also moved the seedling into the flower room, it just won't be the star of the show anymore...) Coming soon to my journal...

As for advice that may be worthless, since I am new to this game: I would check your soil ph, even if you only have the tape. Take a sample of your soil, maybe from 2 or 4 spots (bottom too if you can) and mix it up with distilled water, and let it set for at least 30 mins before testing. Then adjust your water accordingly. I had immense problems with uptake in my current (first and only :) ) grow. I only rectified it after checking my ph all the time, until I had it dialed in. I hated the tape, and have made a leap to a ph pen. I haven't used it yet, I just got it (now that I don't have a problem!) If you do want to stick with tape though, it is economical, after all! I found tape that is graduated in .2 ph units, instead of whole unit increments. That would get you much closer, and you could still check soil samples, and nutrient/water ph levels.

Crush it man!

Hey GreenKitty,

I am also a new grower, and will be subbing this grow. I just caught up to the present, and I like your journal for a couple reasons: fellow newbie (even though I love to garden), using fluorescent lights (I am vegging a bunch of seedlings and clones) and your photo series. I have not compiled it yet, but I did a timelapse of one of my Applejack seedlings, unfortunately not from the get go though... I am using a GoPro, and have it plugged in to not die; it is taking a picture once a minute, and I could watch the video over and over! I am flipping my big plants to flower tomorrow, and have moved the timelapse over to that (I also moved the seedling into the flower room, it just won't be the star of the show anymore...) Coming soon to my journal...

As for advice that may be worthless, since I am new to this game: I would check your soil ph, even if you only have the tape. Take a sample of your soil, maybe from 2 or 4 spots (bottom too if you can) and mix it up with distilled water, and let it set for at least 30 mins before testing. Then adjust your water accordingly. I had immense problems with uptake in my current (first and only :) ) grow. I only rectified it after checking my ph all the time, until I had it dialed in. I hated the tape, and have made a leap to a ph pen. I haven't used it yet, I just got it (now that I don't have a problem!) If you do want to stick with tape though, it is economical, after all! I found tape that is graduated in .2 ph units, instead of whole unit increments. That would get you much closer, and you could still check soil samples, and nutrient/water ph levels.

Crush it man!

Hey, welcome to my grow :) Also I'm a girl ^^ The crush it man I was like "Well that's a thing no one ever told me xD" But it's okay I get the spirit of it and thanks for the support :3

Also about the soil, thanks for teaching me how to test the soil ph better! But as soon as I can buy it, I'll buy an analog ph stick things you put in the soil, unfortunately that's about a week from now. So I flushed the system to kind of pH it and then gave nutes, she's looking fine today, but only time will tell, I guess things not turning drastically worse is already a sign that at least things are the same or better, no sign of over watering or anything so I think she'll start to improve, if she doesn't we'll have to wait a week for me to be able to do anything else x.x Or at least 5 days for me to feed her again.

Thank you for subbing :)

Ah... my bad! I even knew that... I had read your journal, after all :) It was more like the usual stoner "hey man" than anything... but the sentiment remains the same! I'm pulling for your plants to turn around and flourish, I felt so much better when I went through my pics and could really see the improvement. Now, I am more vigilant, having learned that my outdoor gardening is so much easier!

All the best.

Ah... my bad! I even knew that... I had read your journal, after all :) It was more like the usual stoner "hey man" than anything... but the sentiment remains the same! I'm pulling for your plants to turn around and flourish, I felt so much better when I went through my pics and could really see the improvement. Now, I am more vigilant, having learned that my outdoor gardening is so much easier!

All the best.

I'm already seeing some recovery! Some yellowing in some leaves are turning light green, the green parts are greener, less dry and more alive! The new growth shows no signs of deficiency spreading more! She'll have some scars but I think she's recovering already :)

WP_000717.jpg
WP_000716.jpg
WP_000714.jpg

Also she has roots all over the pot now! Look at them at the bottom!

WP_000712.jpg
WP_000711.jpg
WP_000710.jpg

Image so you get the size of the pot:
WP_000713.jpg

With the recovery and with great roots I think she'll have no problems growing fast as hell as these ladies do :)

Hey GK. Your lady will only get better, i can see it's slowly adapting and getting back to normal. It wasn't anything huge to begin with anyway.

I think the main reason it reacted like that was the pot, you want to start with a small container cause your plant's young roots thrive on oxygen. When you water seedlings or clones in a very big container, they will use up all the oxygen quickly, and the large size of the container will prevent the growing medium from drying out.

A big plant will drink up all the water quickly, but with seedlings, you're basically waiting for the growing medium to dry out by itself and while you're waiting, your cannabis roots are sitting in a wet environment and not getting much oxygen, slowing down their growth rates.

Autos are not similar in this way.

Looks like your girl is recuperating, i hope she goes smooth from now on without giving you any more troubles.

Meanwhile, keep it green :volcano-smiley:

Hey GK. Your lady will only get better, i can see it's slowly adapting and getting back to normal. It wasn't anything huge to begin with anyway.

[...]

Looks like your girl is recuperating, i hope she goes smooth from now on without giving you any more troubles.

Meanwhile, keep it green :volcano-smiley:

Hey :) Definitely greener! We can see some regression on the leafs here:

WP_000720.jpg

I think she's recovering at a nice pace while also growing:

WP_0007191.jpg

But underneath that canopy there's lots going on! :)

WP_0007242.jpg

She looks really nice and flat right now, which I really like!

Lady Groot is looking really good now at day 21, compared to my auto nl at day 25 the top leaves are just a little bit smaller but I'm pretty sure they'll be at the same size in 4 days so with the deficiency she grew kind of at the same pace as my last plant. Any comments on auto vs photo-periodic growth differences would be appreciated as I don't know if this one should be bigger by now or not. But I'm happy with her progress, mainly the roots, they've already spread all over and to the bottom of the pot which is very important because with an healthy and expanded root system she'll soak up all them nutes and water and grow like a maniac :)

Also I added a 4th bulb, it's the 2nd 20w 2700k, these 4 should be it for the next 2 or 3 weeks, I will had another 20w 2700k then probably and that will push the lights to just over 100W.

You can also see the fan I have in there :p

WP_0007251.jpg

Temperatures have been in the 20-24ºC range so pretty good for a cold winter inside the closet ^^

:green_heart: Thank you all for your help in diagnosing my plant and all the support so far :green_heart:

:goodjob: GK, looks great. Nice thought going for the fan, it's definitely going to give you a stronger plant in the process, which is something you'll need considering this strain grows thin and you need some strength to support the colas later on.

It's perfectly normal to take a long time for this strain, if im not mistaken you got some genetics from amnesia haze, which is by far one of the longest hazes. sativa in general can take up to 2 weeks more in flower than a hybrid or a pure indica, haze is known for its long flower (around 10-14 weeks) and i've heard about hazes that took up to 18 weeks!! the yield is also smaller compared to any indica dominant hybrid.

In my opinion it's worth it tho, i personally am a huge fan of sativas and haze specifically, it's one of the few strains that get me so medicated to the point where i have to stop and wait to come down, so energetic almost like a supercharged cup of coffee and the creativity is unreal. Definitely the kind of high that makes you wanna do stuff and not couch locking at all.

Haze is also sensitive to Nuts so it's recommended that you use less than the recommended dosage. Definitely flush inbetween feeds, i'd feed her every 2 waters - like : water feed water water feed, and keep an eye to as if she wants more, when growing haze it's safer to start on small feeds and watch if she asks for more rather than start on a big dose and stress it the point where you lose couple of weeks just for it to recover.

Imo, it's better if you flip to flower when she's about 1.5 / 2 feet tall, sativa is known for its explosion growth once you flip her, so expect AT LEAST double it's size the first weeks of flower.

I personally like to train my sativas to stay small and short, starting with some LST early in veg and topping it a few times. i never let it get out of hand tho, everytime a new main cola is reaching up i tie it down. Maybe that's something you want to consider given your grow space, that baby could get to 1.5 - 2 meters (5-7 feet) up in this B.

that's all i got for now i hope i gave you some insight on this wonderful strain. Nevertheless, keep it green :volcano-smiley:

:goodjob: GK, looks great. Nice thought going for the fan, it's definitely going to give you a stronger plant in the process, which is something you'll need considering this strain grows thin and you need some strength to support the colas later on.

It's perfectly normal to take a long time for this strain, if im not mistaken you got some genetics from amnesia haze, which is by far one of the longest hazes. sativa in general can take up to 2 weeks more in flower than a hybrid or a pure indica, haze is known for its long flower (around 10-14 weeks) and i've heard about hazes that took up to 18 weeks!! the yield is also smaller compared to any indica dominant hybrid.

In my opinion it's worth it tho, i personally am a huge fan of sativas and haze specifically, it's one of the few strains that get me so medicated to the point where i have to stop and wait to come down, so energetic almost like a supercharged cup of coffee and the creativity is unreal. Definitely the kind of high that makes you wanna do stuff and not couch locking at all.

Haze is also sensitive to Nuts so it's recommended that you use less than the recommended dosage. Definitely flush inbetween feeds, i'd feed her every 2 waters - like : water feed water water feed, and keep an eye to as if she wants more, when growing haze it's safer to start on small feeds and watch if she asks for more rather than start on a big dose and stress it the point where you lose couple of weeks just for it to recover.

Imo, it's better if you flip to flower when she's about 1.5 / 2 feet tall, sativa is known for its explosion growth once you flip her, so expect AT LEAST double it's size the first weeks of flower.

I personally like to train my sativas to stay small and short, starting with some LST early in veg and topping it a few times. i never let it get out of hand tho, everytime a new main cola is reaching up i tie it down. Maybe that's something you want to consider given your grow space, that baby could get to 1.5 - 2 meters (5-7 feet) up in this B.

that's all i got for now i hope i gave you some insight on this wonderful strain. Nevertheless, keep it green :volcano-smiley:

Wow thanks for so many tips! <3 She's had the fan for a long time though, since day 10 or around that time. But I didn't knew these grew thin, my fan is 30w and it can do some serious air movement inside the closet, it's on lowest speed right now :)

Acording to the seed back the genetics are "Haze x (Skunk x Northern Light) Type Sativa: 75% Indica: 25%" and a "Flowering time 9-10 weeks" but I'm happy to give her more time, my auto was supposed to be 9-10 weeks and took 12 or 13 I dont even remember but it took some more time, though she was pretty big. I'm not afraid to give this one more time, I want to do this the right way, not the fastest way.

With the closet now I'm going to do a SCROG kind of thing, I don't have a grid to put on top of her, but with low stress training I think I can manage to make the same effect. I've got 6 main branches right now, I'm planing on training these stronger ones to the sides of the closet and fill the center with the other branches that come off of these or something, I'm still not 100% certain on the distribution, it'll also have to adapt, you can see on my first grow that I did exactly what you said, they began to stretch and I pulled them down to get a nice flat canopy, that's my goal with this one too!

All that said I have no idea when I'm going to flower her, my main issue is not the space because the closet is pretty high and I can always take some of the weaker branches off and pull the other ones down, it's more an issue of outgrowing my lights, I don't want to get her too big for the lights, though I plan to add another one or two bulbs, I don't want to accidental get her too big and then not have enough light to fatten up the buds.

But with my experience with the auto, I think I've got a kind of time frame, because the auto also doubled at least in size in flower, I also got lots of amazing people here to help so all will be fine :)

:ganjamon: my bad on the genetics, somehow i thought it was amnesia x white widow but that's moby dick not ssh.

i think this will definitely be twice the size of what your auto was maybe even more. nothing you can't handle tho, start torturing her a little by tying down main colas everytime she grows a new one. By the time you flip the lights you should have a nice short and kinda bushy sativa.

As to when you should flower her, think twice the size at least. So make the math and when she gets to the point where you cant afford to let her go more than double the size, flip her. For a sativa that would be around week 4 to 6, mainly depending on the strain.

Day 22 update:

WP_0007261.jpg

Low stress training has begun, these lower branches were getting too big and touching the leaves above so I started training them.

Here's a picture of each side of the plant:

WP_0007311.jpg
WP_0007321.jpg

Also the development toward the top:

WP_0007341.jpg

Photo from the side:

WP_000735.jpg

Next week should be exciting and I'll have lots of work adjusting the LSTs and feeding her again, I'll feed once more because I think she still needs more nutrition to get completely over the deficiency she had and to get the grow going strong.

Back
Top Bottom