Grow Journal Harlequin 1:18 Fem Using Masterblend

Budsbunny

Hello all!

This is my first grow and journal EVER, to create a mother plant. The growth will be in a dedicated shower stall and the clones from it will be placed in a homemade rotating garden, both are built by me, links about both you will find in my signature.

Strain info:
  • Harlequin 1:18 FEM
  • Harlequin is a 75/25 sativa-dominant strain renowned for its reliable expression of CBD. A descendant of Colombian Gold, a Nepali indica, and Thai and Swiss landrace strains, you can depend on Harlequin to provide clear-headed, alert sativa effects. Harlequin's high levels of CBD make this strain one of the most effective out there for treatment of pain and anxiety, as CBD can counteract THC’s paranoia while amplifying its painkilling properties. Flavors can range from earthy musk to sweet mango, but without a doubt, what draws crowds to Harlequin is its ability to relax without sedation and to relieve without intoxication.
Grow room:
  • Dedicated shower stall 90 x 90 x 200 cm.
  • Light 300 led 5000K, wrapped around a 100 mm duct with a reflective dome above it, no heat so no cooling. Height will be variable and light will stay on as this will be a mother plant.
  • Shower stall is in the basement, average temperature inside 22C
light1.JPG

• Small dehumidifier installed that can keep RH between 40 & 60
Grow conditions:
  • Deep water culture, 5 gallon bucket with air stones

Grow medium
  • Modified Masterblend 4–18-38 solution, modified as follows:
- 6 parts Masterblend

- 6 parts calcium nitrate (15.5-0-0)

- 2 parts magnesium sulfate (0-0-0) also known as Epsom salt.

Strenght: variable but will start with 700 ppm (700 scale) PH 5.5

Why Masterblend?

• First of all, I have TON’S of it, left over from my greenhouse that I have rebuilt into a spa room.
  • Second, Masterblend did very well on all my veggies despite that fact that, at that time I did not have reliable meters for PH and PPM (I do have now)
  • Third, I have spoken to Masterblend in the past and mentioned all those different liquid nute’s in the market. They laughed about that and said that 80% of those were based on Masterblend, with some different additives and sold as a liquid concentrated fertilizer with a margin of 800%++
  • I have read posts on several cannabis forums about using Masterblend with good results.
  • The test I did a few days ago (see picture) gives me enough confidence to start with above mentioned conditions.
I hope some of you have experience using Masterblend as well and you could share those results.

Last but not least…..I am very impressed with the knowledge on this forum and the advice that is given me until now. I hope to return the favor by sharing the results of my “DIY rotating garden on the cheap”

Wish me luck!

day1.jpgday2.jpgday3.jpgpepper-test.jpg

THis is AWESOME! Rotating gardens in washing machines and and shower stalls! Serious re-purpose gold! Oh I'm in on this for certain! CHeers @Budsbunny gl on your project! :yahoo:

Thanks Pbass! And it is a dryer, not washing machine, hope you don't make that mistake when you do YOUR washing...:slide:

day4.JPG

September 12, 2019 - Day 4

Yesterday evening I have increased the temperature of the grow mat to 24C
This evening I also spayed a light mist of diluted Masterblend (200 ppm) on top of the paper towel.

September 13, 2019 Transfer sprouts into rock wool cubes. Day 5

The rock wool cubes have been soaking overnight in distilled water PH 5.5
This morning I gave the cubes a soak in PH 5.5 + Masterblend 200 ppm. Dome will go over the cubes, led light is on 1 ft high. T= 21.1C (70F) and RH=5.2 I will keep the cubes wet with the above mentioned solution (syringe) until I see roots coming through the cubes.

Next time I will probably germinate the seeds straight in the RW cubes.

day5_transplant.jpg

Day 7, September 17, 2019

The little rascals start to show on the surface!
Temperature: 22.5 C
RH= 53

sept17-day7.JPG

I dip the cubes in the morning and evening 6 mm deep in the solution for 5 seconds.
Solution: distilled water PH 5.5 + Masterblend 200 ppm

Please note that I used the wrong date in the previous post, it should read “Day 7 September 15 2019

Day 8 September 16 2019

Day8Sept16_1.jpg

Picture above
: At first sight I thought it was not going well and the one on the right was dying. Did a search on Internet and in general I found “no nutes” in the early stages. So I flushed the 2 cubes with distilled water PH 5.5 from above and let them stand on a kitchen towel for a few minutes to soak a bit of the water out.

Picture below: after putting them back on the tray under the LED I saw that I might be wrong. The one on the right was not dying but the leaves were “locked up” under a part of the shell.

Day8Sept16_2.jpg

My questions are:

Will the leaves be strong enough to break the shell or should I carefully try to break the shell with a needle or so?

Do I keep the “no nutes” regiment in place for the time being? I am a real newbie, but I think they grew A LOT in 20 hours compared to the post yesterday, for that my question about the "no nutes"

THIS would be the time for some help please.......

I did what you all suggested to do, I soaked the head in water and the shell came off.
Thanks for the help!

Found out this morning that seedlings in this stage prefer a higher RH. The RH was only 50 so I have put a fogger in the en suite. It is not on its definite place yet (mist is “heavy” so it has to come from above), but in 30 minutes the RH went up to 58, very promising.

fogger.jpg

Day 9 September 17, 2019

I’ve put a fogger in this morning and the RH increased from 50 to 70. Clearly the young seedlings like it, the true leaves accelerate and the plants grow towards the direction where the mist is coming from. I will have to put a timer on the fogger.
Sorry for the blurry picture.

Temperature 21.8C
RH=70

day9Sept17.jpg

Day 10 September 18, 2019

I have put the fogger on a timer, 3 hours off and ½ hour on, the RH stays now within a 62 -70 range.

It looks as if the seedlings aren’t doing anything, they have grown in height very well, but the true leaves aren’t really getting any bigger. Done a search (AGAIN) on Internet and there are SO MANY different ppm feedings for young seedlings that I am not sure what to believe any more. Even in this forum I found different posts with different ppm for seedlings ranging from 0 to 400!!! I have flushed the RW cubes with distilled water Ph. 5.5 and in the pictures they are standing on a kitchen towel to suck up some excessive water. I will see at the end of the day how it is going and take it from there.

Could someone please tell me if these seedlings are developing well or not? They are day 10 but that includes towel germination, basically they are 5 days in the RW cubes now.

Thank you.

day10sept18_1.jpg

day10sept18_2.jpg

Day 11, September 19 2019

Looks like I finally got those two “on the run” with nice full green true leaves.

I’ve made some changes the last days that, as I believe, have a very positive impact.

• I have put in a fogger on a timer, RH varies between 64 and 70
  • I have put in a small heater with a thermostat that keeps the temperature between 21 and 22C.
  • NO NUTRIENTS any more for now, two times a day (morning and evening) I hold the 2 RW cubes for 2-3 seconds in distilled water Ph. 5.5, the cubes go in only 6 mm deep, they suck up a lot of water in that short time.
sept19-day11_1.JPG

sept19day11_2.JPG

I will look for my tripod in order to get some sharper pictures.

AGAIN Day 11, September 19 2019

When had the cubes in my hand to feel if they were dry, I suddenly saw the ROOTS! Few more days, depending of their progress I will put them in the DWC bucket in clay pebbles and an air bubbler.
These 2 are today 6 days in the RW cubes.

sept19day11_3.jpg

Day 12, September 20, 2019

This morning I have transferred the seedlings into the DWC hydroponic system.

Ambient temperature 21.8C
RH varies 6.2 – 7.0
Ph. 5.2
Nutrient Masterblend (6-6-2) ppm= 110
Air stone in the bucket

day12sept20_1.JPG day12sept20_2.JPG
These are 1 gallon buckets and eventually they will be replaced by 5 gallon buckets. One seedling is grown up to be the mother plant for cloning and the other one I will put in a space bucket (that I still need to build….)

Hi Buds :ciao:
I like your rig. You have a great set up.
I know zip about dwc, but I see you’re pretty well boned up on what to do so I’ll be happy to see you grow some grade A meds. :yummy:
I’ve read a little about harlequin. I’m interested in just what a useful little plant she’s going to be. .
:morenutes:

From today on I will paste a copy of my own grow journal, starting from the moment the 1 ½ RW cubes went into the hydroponic system. (that was day 12 after start paper towel germination)

There are 2 fluctuations:
  1. The RH is not constant as I have a fogger in the room on a timer so that varies a bit.
  2. The small heater to keep things on temperature shuts off at a certain time and I don’t know exactly why.
day-13.jpg

day13.JPG

Day 14, September 22, 2019

day14.jpg

day14_1.JPG

Day 15, September 23, 2019

day15.jpg

day15sept23.JPG

Back
Top Bottom