Gelato And Harlequin

Mike Wright

420 Support
420 Staff
Next up, 3 Gelato feminized and 1 Harlequin that I hope is female. Growing in soil mix, using Advanced Nutrients Grow-Micro-Bloom, under two BavaGreen 120W and a SpiderFarmer 1000, also 120W. I dial them all down to about 95W, it seems to be lots in a 2x4. I also stepped up to 2.5 gallon pots to see if I can get a little better yield.

I just up-potted these today. The 3 large ones are Gelato and their showing some problems starting on the lower leaves. There was some crap in the roots, some tiny yellow nodules and webbing around the outside edge of the soil. Maybe a fungus and some mites? There were some webs a couple of weeks ago but I thought I had them under control with End-all. Anyway, I completely cleaned out the root balls and they seem to be doing ok so I hope that problem is gone. The little Harlequin doesn't seem to have any issues, didn't notice any stuff in the roots.

I've also got a Harlequin male that showed his colours really early. I'll be collecting pollen and crossing with the Gelato as that and Harlequin are both excellent. The Gelato really packs a punch.

DSC_0038.JPG

Next up, 3 Gelato feminized and 1 Harlequin that I hope is female. Growing in soil mix, using Advanced Nutrients Grow-Micro-Bloom, under two BavaGreen 120W and a SpiderFarmer 1000, also 120W. I dial them all down to about 95W, it seems to be lots in a 2x4. I also stepped up to 2.5 gallon pots to see if I can get a little better yield.

I just up-potted these today. The 3 large ones are Gelato and their showing some problems starting on the lower leaves. There was some crap in the roots, some tiny yellow nodules and webbing around the outside edge of the soil. Maybe a fungus and some mites? There were some webs a couple of weeks ago but I thought I had them under control with End-all. Anyway, I completely cleaned out the root balls and they seem to be doing ok so I hope that problem is gone. The little Harlequin doesn't seem to have any issues, didn't notice any stuff in the roots.

I've also got a Harlequin male that showed his colours really early. I'll be collecting pollen and crossing with the Gelato as that and Harlequin are both excellent. The Gelato really packs a punch.

DSC_0038.JPG
Looking lovely 🤟

Just flipped the ladies to 12/12. The three big Gelatos seem to be heavy feeders, so I started them on AN nutes at 1100 ppm last week and they're getting greener now. The little Harlequin is definitely the nicest looking plant. Too bad she's so small!

20221006_071013.jpg
20221006_071047.jpg

Here are the Gelatos at 5 weeks and also the little Harlequin. Bottom is a peek at the next grow, 3 Fruity Pebbles (fem) and 5 Afghani-Kush (reg). Eight in and eight up in 48 hours, much better luck than I had with my last couple of germinations.

gelato01.JPG
harlequin01.JPG
FruityPebbles.JPG

It's about half and half. I really like the effects, very calming. I like to hybridize it. I'm doing some Afghani-Harlequin and Gelato-Harlequin seeds this grow.

Cool. I've got an ACDC (mostly cbd) I'm hoping to run in a few weeks. I just upgraded to 2Gal buckets but at the same time started growing with SIPS.  Much larger plants than I'm used to.

Looks like you don't do much training?

I used to do a ton of training following Light Addict's fluxing method. I never could wait for anything to get really big though, so at the end of the day it was for the fun of doing it. These are new larger buckets to me too, they are about 2 gallons also. The Harlequin was a midget from day one, but the Gelato are about 4 feet tall, which is the largest I've gone.
I see you're full on into natural farming. That's fantastic. We used to operate a home garden business called Planet Herb. We put up a greenhouse and converted much of our lot into raised beds and gardens. Below is our back yard mostly finished. We converted the front lawn into gardens too. Unfortunately where we moved in 2017 is mostly sand and it just doesn't grow the same. The people who bought our house took down the greenhouse and removed all the gardens, it's just lawn now. :( I lost some of my passion for gardening when I saw it.
backfull022014.JPG

Sad about the gardens. Some people just don't get it. Those were beautiful, though.

On the training, I'm partial to quadlining for the speed of it and the strong plant structure it produces. For seedlings, only one topping above fourth node, remove nodes 1 and 2 and let 3 and 4 grow out with some LST to push the limbs out to the bucket edge.

Pretty simple and fast as with only the one cut there is very little recovery time. Most of my stuff is with clones, but same idea. I grow in a cabinet so clones work better with their closer internodal spacing.

I've had fun with the organics and my goal is to grow using mostly what I can produce in my yard. I only grow for me and my needs aren't that great. Also my stuff is medicinal so I want to keep to natural inputs and keep chemicals and salts out of my mix.

Sad about the gardens. Some people just don't get it. Those were beautiful, though.

On the training, I'm partial to quadlining for the speed of it and the strong plant structure it produces. For seedlings, only one topping above fourth node, remove nodes 1 and 2 and let 3 and 4 grow out with some LST to push the limbs out to the bucket edge.
I used to top everything, and I would average about 1 oz dry per plant, which I would grow to about 30 inches tall. Lately though, I found if I let the plants get a little bigger, I can get almost an oz just from the main cola, so I'm trying that out now. Our needs are pretty minimal also, I don't need to produce a lot more than we can use.

You should come check out #SIP CLub. But you'll get bigger plants with little extra effort so maybe that wouldn't be helpful. :laughtwo:

I run a perpetual grow and I had been doing three plants in flower with a harvest once a month. The SIPs are so much bigger that I'm changing it to 2 in flower with a harvest every 6 weeks.

You should come check out #SIP CLub. But you'll get bigger plants with little extra effort so maybe that wouldn't be helpful. :laughtwo:

I run a perpetual grow and I had been doing three plants in flower with a harvest once a month. The SIPs are so much bigger that I'm changing it to 2 in flower with a harvest every 6 weeks.
Yes, I encountered a post about SIP a couple of weeks back and did a bit of quick browsing for pots. My new pots have a pretty large drainage chamber at the bottom that will collect excess water. I was wondering if it might be acting like a SIP. I'm curious to see when I harvest whether the roots grow down into it.

They call those things "self-watering containers" or "sub irrigated planters" but I think that misses the real magic of these things which is the air gap created in a properly designed pot.

The air gap provides air to the roots which allows you to keep them constantly much wetter without the root rot issue allowing for pretty much non-stop growth unlike with the wet/dry cycle. They've been a real game changer for me.

They are readily available commercially in larger sizes but also are super easy to diy which is what I had to do since the commercial inserts are for 5 gallon buckets which are too big for my space. I have the design and build write-up for them on the second page of that thread (link in my sig).

This grow is in the bag, or in the jar actually. I'm not happy with the local 'organic' soil I've been getting, it seems to house fungus gnats (which are controllable with BTI and stickies) and I don't think it does all it could for my plants. I've already got FF Happy Frog and Ocean Forest to use for the next grow. Which is about to be posted. I'll close this one off with a shot of the colas from the 3 Gelatos, ranging from 1/4 to 1/2 oz.

DSC_0166.JPG

Back
Top Bottom