Afghan-Gelato

Mike Wright

420 Support
420 Staff
These are Afghan-Gelato Hybrids from seed I produced a couple of grows back. The one sorry looking plant front right is an Afghani. She is suffering from whatever the heck trashed my last grow, most likely Foxfarms soil. I only used about 20% of that in this grow. Near as I can tell, it creates some sort of bad PH, the roots are practically non-existent. These girls are about ready to up-pot. I'm pretty sure they are all fems. I dropped the lights to 13.5 hours last week, and one male quickly came out. It's an Afghani. I might keep him going for pollen and pollinate the Afghani-Gelato for a B1 backcross because, what the heck. Due to the complete crash of my last grow the shelves here are pretty bare. I've always had at least half a pound in reserve; we'll probably run out before the next harvest.

As usual, growing in soil in my 2x4 Gorilla tent under 2 Bavagreen and one Spiderfarmer 120 watt lights. Using Advanced Nutrients Grow/Bloom/Micro.

20230422_070812.jpg

Nice, and they use the Samsung LM301H diodes. What size?

Mind if I catch a squat in the back?

Stay safe, and grow well my friend,
Tok..
Here we go!
Thanks for dropping in! I got the Bava's in 2020, they are the 120 watt model.
I'll transplant those in a day or two, and flip them a week or so after that.

The fun part for me is producing my own hybrids. The real plus is that the seeds I produce sprout a lot better than the ones I've been buying. When I started growing about ten years ago, purchased seeds sprouted great, but a lot of them now seem to be either underdeveloped or old stock.

I usually pollinate the two lowest branches on a plant, which gives me 40-50 seeds. I let those sit in the buds for several months to ripen even further. Today I'm collecting some Harlequin, Harlequin X Afghani and Harlequin x Gelato. Also pictured is a male Afghani kept to backcross with my current grow. I'll save some pollen to backcross with my next grow too. Since I just flipped into flower, now is the time when I start my next batch. For something really different, I'm going to be starting and vegging those in my Aerogarden. I'll post some pics of that too, maybe in a new journal.

DSC_0155.JPG

DSC_0162.JPG

DSC_0166.JPG

A week after flipping, two are lagging, one is just starting, the biggest one and the bushiest one are the furthest ahead. I'll pollinate those two. Bottom is one sorry looking Afghani. Happened to all seven plants from my last grow. I blame the Foxfarm soil. I only used about 20% of that for this grow, but the Afghani might have gotten an extra scoop by accident. Can't think of what else it could be.

DSC_0163.JPG

DSC_0168.JPG

Bit of bother tonight. While watering I noticed a puff of pollen. Half an hour later I cleaned sacs off all the Afghan-Gelatos. They're all healthy, so I don't think its stress. Maybe the genetics. Sprayed everything down. They are at 1-2 weeks flower in the pics (two came in a lot faster than the others). Too bad, I was hoping for great things from this strain. :(

DSC_0160.JPG

DSC_0162.JPG

Sorry about herman I hate that dude 😞
Thanks. The buds are nice, I don't know wtf is up here. I'll just keep a close eye on things I guess.

That's a heartbreak Pantagruel! Hope you saved most of them from getting knocked up!
Fingers crossed. I googled a lot of hits on Gelato hermies; I do think it is the genetics of this strain. The sacs were all down low, so I'll still try lightly pollinate one of the top colas to get a B1 backcross that I hope will be more stable.

Fingers crossed. I googled a lot of hits on Gelato hermies; I do think it is the genetics of this strain. The sacs were all down low, so I'll still try lightly pollinate one of the top colas to get a B1 backcross that I hope will be more stable.
I had one plant hermie in a 4 plant grow. She spewed, I remover her. One of the three left got like half seeded and the rest only spotty. Not horribly bad. I smoked em all.

We are heading off to Banff for 5 days, so I've been testing to see how long I can go on one watering. I got to 4 days last time. Just before lights off this morning, I took off all the fans and interior leaves to reduce transpiration, turned the lights down a bit and gave them all a huge drink. The leaves were looking a bit pale, so I upped the AN to 1300 ppm. The girl pictured at bottom and one other are at 4 weeks, the rest are at three. As she was the bushiest and earliest flowering I decided to pollinate her from the original parent Afghani strain; those seeds will be a B1 backcross. First time I've tried this.

20230528_071355.jpg

20230528_071505.jpg

Back
Top Bottom