GrowingGirls' Mystery Seed Growing Adventure Journal - 2010

Umm that was very fast for drying. Watch them in the jars as they may 'sweat' as they likely aren't dried inside and out. Good luck with em. IMO buds need to be jarred for a month before they start tasting good.

1.85 ounces (52 grams):

IMG02186-20100906-0848.jpg
:thumb:

Nice going GG! It was a rather quick dry job, but you did say that there wasn't a lot of bud density. Still, nearly 2 OZs ain't bad at all! I think you'll find that there's still a good bit of moisture in those buds. Don't let them get moldy! After so much hard work, I know you'd hate for that to happen.

:blunt:
Umm that was very fast for drying. Watch them in the jars as they may 'sweat' as they likely aren't dried inside and out. Good luck with em. IMO buds need to be jarred for a month before they start tasting good.

Super fast, I know...but the buds got very crispy as they weren't very dense. I'm checking and opening the jars often, and I might dump it all out into one large and flat container and dry it for 1-2 more days without the fan directly on it.

It's getting very crowded in Scrogland on day 46...

IMG02215-20100907-1331.jpg

IMG02217-20100907-1332.jpg

IMG02218-20100907-1332.jpg

IMG02219-20100907-1333.jpg

IMG02221-20100907-1335.jpg

And The Experiment (day 61...going to start adding molasses to her feedings soon) ought to be sharing the HPS...

IMG02223-20100907-1341.jpg

Plus, I need to snag a few of those CFLs for my coco grow, and the scrog lighting just really needs to be redone anyway...total teardown and rebuild. So The Experiment and the HPS will move down by the end of the scrog, and the ducts will have to be re-routed. Big project for tonight.

IMG02224-20100907-1341.jpg

:thumb:

Nice going GG! It was a rather quick dry job, but you did say that there wasn't a lot of bud density. Still, nearly 2 OZs ain't bad at all! I think you'll find that there's still a good bit of moisture in those buds. Don't let them get moldy! After so much hard work, I know you'd hate for that to happen.

I'm being VERY careful, I promise! :smokin:

What's your light setup now?

An ugly but effective mess! So many cords. So much tape.

I ran out of room for my mother plant, so I'm flowering it next to The Experiment under the HPS now. Part of that light hits the end of the scrog, which is otherwise still flooded with CFLs. I'm taking new pics this morning just before lights on...I'll post them shortly.

The total on the CFLs is 22 bulbs, mixed types, 23-26 watts each. It works out to about 80 watts per square foot.

It appears to be a good use of cfls. Do they come in 3000k and 6500k, or does it matter? 80w/sq' seems pretty hefty. Guess that explains the nice budlets, eh?

1000w mh/hps and heat extracting accoutrements have tacked $50/mth on our power bill. Yeild yet to be considered, but even if it takes $50 off in the winter by heating the floor above, it still wouldn't be worth it. Gotta find a better way.

Good job.

:peace:

It appears to be a good use of cfls. Do they come in 3000k and 6500k, or does it matter? 80w/sq' seems pretty hefty. Guess that explains the nice budlets, eh?

1000w mh/hps and heat extracting accoutrements have tacked $50/mth on our power bill. Yeild yet to be considered, but even if it takes $50 off in the winter by heating the floor above, it still wouldn't be worth it. Gotta find a better way.

Good job.

I don't recall more specifics on the CFLs; I just know I had mostly soft white for veg in there and I added daylight bulbs for flowering.

I too am dealing with how to keep temps happy with the change of seasons...A/C isn't needed in the house in September, but the plants still want it.

Good job.

I don't recall more specifics on the CFLs; I just know I had mostly soft white for veg in there and I added daylight bulbs for flowering.

I too am dealing with how to keep temps happy with the change of seasons...A/C isn't needed in the house in September, but the plants still want it.

Just wanted to toss in (this is something I've researched a good bit) that the bright white (daylight) CFL bulbs are typically 6500k (the color temperature measured in degrees kelvin). These bulbs produce light in the blue range which is best for the vegetative stage of growth.

Soft White CFL bulbs are typically 2700k. These produce light in the red range which is most desirable for the flowering stage.

I've heard of T5s that are in between (in the 5000k range), but not CFLs.

I share your pain as far as the cost of proper cooling and ventilation. Just got my electric bill. :reading420magazine: Gonna have to get more creative about moving air around and stop using the brute force method to get temps and humidity where they belong. I've got AC and dehumidifier just fighting each other all the time and it's costing WAY too much.

Unfortunately, there's no such thing as a free lunch with different lighting types. If you use enough CFLs, T5s, or LEDs to produce a comparable amount of light to your 1000 watt unit, they are still going to produce a significant amount of heat that you're going to have to deal with somehow.

Do you run separate ventilation through your light Horse? Or, does it dump all of it's heat into the grow area? A HID with it's own ventilation probably won't add any more heat to a grow area than a good LED or a bunch of CFLs (it might even end up being less).

I like my LED, but, because I supplement the LED with CFLs as well, I'm not sure that I saved myself a lot in terms of cooling and ventilation over a vented HID. Should stop running the CFLs, but I'm very greedy. :smokin:

If I were starting over right now, I'd strongly consider just using a good T5 setup. The Quantum Bad Boy T5s seem to perform really well. The 16 lamp unit produces as much light as a 1000 watt hps. What I don't know is how much heat that unit produces or exactly how much power it draws, but, as I gather, it is lower than the HID on both counts.

Sorry for the rambling post, but as you can see, this is a subject that really hits home for me.

The Experiment is lookin' good there GG! Hope it produces the results you're looking for!

Just wanted to toss in (this is something I've researched a good bit) that the bright white (daylight) CFL bulbs are typically 6500k (the color temperature measured in degrees kelvin). These bulbs produce light in the blue range which is best for the vegetative stage of growth.

Soft White CFL bulbs are typically 2700k. These produce light in the red range which is most desirable for the flowering stage.

I've heard of T5s that are in between (in the 5000k range), but not CFLs.

I share your pain as far as the cost of proper cooling and ventilation. Just got my electric bill. :reading420magazine: Gonna have to get more creative about moving air around and stop using the brute force method to get temps and humidity where they belong. I've got AC and dehumidifier just fighting each other all the time and it's costing WAY too much.

Unfortunately, there's no such thing as a free lunch with different lighting types. If you use enough CFLs, T5s, or LEDs to produce a comparable amount of light to your 1000 watt unit, they are still going to produce a significant amount of heat that you're going to have to deal with somehow.

Do you run separate ventilation through your light Horse? Or, does it dump all of it's heat into the grow area? A HID with it's own ventilation probably won't add any more heat to a grow area than a good LED or a bunch of CFLs (it might even end up being less).

I like my LED, but, because I supplement the LED with CFLs as well, I'm not sure that I saved myself a lot in terms of cooling and ventilation over a vented HID. Should stop running the CFLs, but I'm very greedy. :smokin:

If I were starting over right now, I'd strongly consider just using a good T5 setup. The Quantum Bad Boy T5s seem to perform really well. The 16 lamp unit produces as much light as a 1000 watt hps. What I don't know is how much heat that unit produces or exactly how much power it draws, but, as I gather, it is lower than the HID on both counts.

Sorry for the rambling post, but as you can see, this is a subject that really hits home for me.

The Experiment is lookin' good there GG! Hope it produces the results you're looking for!

I just got my words mixed up...oops. I'm doing the CFLs correctly. :)

Back
Top Bottom