Haight Solid State vs. H.G.LED

Re: 420 Consumer Reports Competition - Haight Solid State vs. Hydro Grow LED

OK - At the risk of talking too much, I wanted to tack on just a little to my last thoughts. I was down in my room, well medicated, and adding light rails and lights - so this stuff was floating around in my head.

Since I have been somewhat negative about the LEDs I was really convinced that I must not be understanding something about the way they should be used and their wattage numbers.

The more I thought about what that wattage of their small vs large - and the comparable sq/ft. it seems like what's missing from the equation is the penetration.

And this is where my ignorance of LEDs is evident. So let me ask you SS:

1) how much does the light spread? Using the numbers from their site again - the dimensions of their 345 are 19"x19" with an optimal area of 36"x36" at 12" above the canopy. This sounds like very cohesive light. Not much spread.

2) If its cohesive - then the more LEDs you put in the same area would increase intensity, but not spread. So is this why sometimes I see LED grows where the plants are the size of a lighter, vs others where the plant is a little more like an avg size?

In other words - I would not try to flower my 6 plant scrog under a 250hps because I would end up with crappy bud and plants like lighters. But I could flower 2 very nice plants under a 250 or VEG a bunch more. Is part of the problem with LEDs that folks are looking at those square footage numbers and thinking like HID where if you have a smaller bulb - you move it closer. But in reality the lower wattages simply aren't enough power to get anything bigger than a lighter no matter how close?

So - based on your plants, about how much penetration do you feel like you got? Is there an optimal distance from the plant that the light was too close or too far? At what distance did the buds change from nice buds to popcorn?

3) If the smaller wattage is enough to flower under by moving the light closer - would it make sense for the LED manufacturers to make a much more spread out 345w? In other words are they cramming more LEDs into the same space to try to achieve penetration, when they should be focusing on increasing the sq/footage available under the light? Given its low heat - seems like they should be able to acheive linear horizontal expansion. Figure out the closest the LED's can be, and the minimum wattage required at that distance to get full sized buds. Then simply go sideways. If it takes 50w/sq ft at 3" then 100w at 3" should be 2 sq ft.

I think the prob is they don't know what that number is because its so affected by the wavelength of light. It will take years of real-world grows and R&D to determine what spectra the plants like in their LEDs. In the mean time, they just figured that if the magic number for HIDs is 1 g/w and LED bulbs use half that power - then we have to tell people that we get 2g/w or they won't buy them. Ooops - wasn't going to dis the manufacturers.

All these questions demonstrate my ignorance of LEDs - so if anyone has any corrections to my math or logic please correct me. Feel free to PM me if you don't want to interrupt this thread any more. As I am now gonna try to shut up for a little and do more learning.

Thanks again SS.
:peace:

Hey there guys, I am gonna throw this out one more time. So all manufacturer's etc. have a fair chance to at least think about this.

I think LED's could be used in smart lights....I don't mean anything crazy either....

Picture this, 3 - 9 disc's set in a 4 ft panel, I will discuss these disc's in a sec. All along this fixture, have diffuse 5 LED mini fixtures, these LED's would be of the 1 W variety and use a 120 deg or maybe a bit higher. Each LED would have a slight inward tilt to "mix" the light but more importantly angles the cones of light into the foliage. I imagine 3 in 5 rows, one row every foot.

These will be mixed color's providing more of a cloudy day light diffuse lighting.

Here comes the use of technology that LED's can take advantage of because of their size and that they generate COHERENT (unlike me most of the time :smokin:) light. So the diffuser you put on the LED is what is limiting its penetration...coherent light has a lower drop off.

The next set of mini fixtures can pivot about 20 degs in all directions and be on X, Y stepper motors to run patterns over the canopy of "spotlights" of much more intense light that you can't leave on any one spot for long.

These LED's will be important bloom LED's in the 5w variety in 5 - 10 LED clusters.

I would find the diffuser deg by making clones and setting a fixture over each one and turning it on for 5 minutes and off for a few then on again. Which clone flourishes during bloom will determine your best and safest ranges....make sure you are blooming the clones...if that is what you want these lights to test.

In my photo's is a basic drawing of a stationary mover for a fixture, a basic model kind of thing...

Feel free to take this and run with it anyone...unless someone else has already patented it.

:peace: everyone, hope I don't sound too crazy. :grinjoint: (Cuz I might just be)

Or lets just go nuts and try something absolutely insane....get a 50-100 watt laser and using the motorized mirror's paint a laser canopy of light. Penetration loses would pretty much be to foliage and mirrors only. (now I sound a bit crazy...;))

IJHO its a big issue and I've racked my brains coming up with a solution with my limited knowledge of LED's. One easy one of course is the diodes being more spread out in bigger panels but I couldn't imagine the weight with the heatsinks and all. You would have to be calling your neighbours to help you move the lights. You think they can be water cooled in some way? They have water cooled processors why not LED's?

Oh the solution is easy...it's the manufacturing cost that will be a bitch. It's going to be a while before the economies of scale kick in to help lower the cost of manufacturing. The only way that will happen is if people continue to purchase LED grow lights. This is a new branch (2 years maybe?) of the 40 year old hydroponic industry. It's not done growing yet.

But like our poor test plants, the end of this niche market is already set too. Federal legalization will likely kill the entire hydroponics industry and def kill the LED growlight industry unless said federal legalization comes after the aforementioned economies of scale kick in. If Obama or Congress move to legalize cannabis at the federal level in the next 3 years, the led grow light industry will be set back at least 10 years. It still needs time to mature.

That's my opinion, I don't know if it's humble or not...

:nicethread: Sun.
Thank you.
I learned a tremendous amount of knowledge from this journal. Now if I can just turn that knowledge into wisdom... :reading420magazine:

If Obama or Congress move to legalize cannabis at the federal level in the next 3 years
After what I just witnessed over health care..not a chance! North Americans are all for change,,,someone else's that is!

Last question:

Do you have any thoughts why one light performed so much better than the other? Specifically - do you think its the nm of the LEDs used?

And MH - you are right - the word is coherent - my bad.

OK - At the risk of talking too much, I wanted to tack on just a little to my last thoughts. I was down in my room, well medicated, and adding light rails and lights - so this stuff was floating around in my head.

Since I have been somewhat negative about the LEDs I was really convinced that I must not be understanding something about the way they should be used and their wattage numbers.

The more I thought about what that wattage of their small vs large - and the comparable sq/ft. it seems like what's missing from the equation is the penetration.

And this is where my ignorance of LEDs is evident. So let me ask you SS:

1) how much does the light spread? Using the numbers from their site again - the dimensions of their 345 are 19"x19" with an optimal area of 36"x36" at 12" above the canopy. This sounds like very cohesive light. Not much spread.

2) If its cohesive - then the more LEDs you put in the same area would increase intensity, but not spread. So is this why sometimes I see LED grows where the plants are the size of a lighter, vs others where the plant is a little more like an avg size?

In other words - I would not try to flower my 6 plant scrog under a 250hps because I would end up with crappy bud and plants like lighters. But I could flower 2 very nice plants under a 250 or VEG a bunch more. Is part of the problem with LEDs that folks are looking at those square footage numbers and thinking like HID where if you have a smaller bulb - you move it closer. But in reality the lower wattages simply aren't enough power to get anything bigger than a lighter no matter how close?

So - based on your plants, about how much penetration do you feel like you got? Is there an optimal distance from the plant that the light was too close or too far? At what distance did the buds change from nice buds to popcorn?

3) If the smaller wattage is enough to flower under by moving the light closer - would it make sense for the LED manufacturers to make a much more spread out 345w? In other words are they cramming more LEDs into the same space to try to achieve penetration, when they should be focusing on increasing the sq/footage available under the light? Given its low heat - seems like they should be able to acheive linear horizontal expansion. Figure out the closest the LED's can be, and the minimum wattage required at that distance to get full sized buds. Then simply go sideways. If it takes 50w/sq ft at 3" then 100w at 3" should be 2 sq ft.

I think the prob is they don't know what that number is because its so affected by the wavelength of light. It will take years of real-world grows and R&D to determine what spectra the plants like in their LEDs. In the mean time, they just figured that if the magic number for HIDs is 1 g/w and LED bulbs use half that power - then we have to tell people that we get 2g/w or they won't buy them. Ooops - wasn't going to dis the manufacturers.

All these questions demonstrate my ignorance of LEDs - so if anyone has any corrections to my math or logic please correct me. Feel free to PM me if you don't want to interrupt this thread any more. As I am now gonna try to shut up for a little and do more learning.

Thanks again SS.

Dude, ignorance is what happens when you don't take the time to ask questions. You ask good questions and make good observations. I'm not going to answer them cause it wasn't directed at me but I would like to get your opinion on something.

When calculating the cost of the LED, would it not be fair to compare the actual lifetime cost of the LED to an HID used over the same period? For example, if an LED will last 50,000 hours, wouldn't it only be fair to compare it to a HID set up over the same time span. How often do you replace an HPS bulb, once a year maybe? What does a good one cost? Maybe $85? Figure 50,000 hours will get you a minimum 8 years of use out of the LED. So you would need 8 $85 bulbs in addition to the HID hardware. Once you factor in the fixed cost over 50,000 hours and the minimum heat reduction of 25% over 50,000 the total cost of use between LED and HID is much much closer than anyone has given credit thus far.

Crappy yield is a separate issue that I believe is related to low wattage, poor penetration and less than optimal nm selection.

Last question:

Do you have any thoughts why one light performed so much better than the other? Specifically - do you think its the nm of the LEDs used?

And MH - you are right - the word is coherent - my bad.

Wasn't directed at you at all. :passitleft: I thought it was cohesive too...til I looked it up. There are Cohesive Light Bandages though...

:peace: brother.

If you're not amortizing grow equipment 3 years or less, you aren't being realistic.
50,000 hrs is more than 10 yrs at 12s, and a long reach into an uncertain future.
Small grows for personal med needs are practical with todays' LEDs.
Reduced heat footprint and modest power draw are very attractive.
A package un-matched by any other light source, IMO.
It does cost more to grow with these first class systems, but many will enjoy what they pay for.

Dude, ignorance is what happens when you don't take the time to ask questions. You ask good questions and make good observations. I'm not going to answer them cause it wasn't directed at me but I would like to get your opinion on something.

When calculating the cost of the LED, would it not be fair to compare the actual lifetime cost of the LED to an HID used over the same period? For example, if an LED will last 50,000 hours, wouldn't it only be fair to compare it to a HID set up over the same time span. How often do you replace an HPS bulb, once a year maybe? What does a good one cost? Maybe $85? Figure 50,000 hours will get you a minimum 8 years of use out of the LED. So you would need 8 $85 bulbs in addition to the HID hardware. Once you factor in the fixed cost over 50,000 hours and the minimum heat reduction of 25% over 50,000 the total cost of use between LED and HID is much much closer than anyone has given credit thus far.

Crappy yield is a separate issue that I believe is related to low wattage, poor penetration and less than optimal nm selection.

Another LED sales tactic that sounds good in practice but....nobody changes their bulbs each year......

If you're not amortizing grow equipment 3 years or less, you aren't being realistic.
50,000 hrs is more than 10 yrs at 12s, and a long reach into an uncertain future.
Small grows for personal med needs are practical with todays' LEDs.
Reduced heat footprint and modest power draw are very attractive.
A package un-matched by any other light source, IMO.
It does cost more to grow with these first class systems, but many will enjoy what they pay for.

2-3 grows is probably as far as anyone can plan ahead these days.
As far as small grows for personal meds goes, that's what these are probably best suited for.
The quality of smoke is definitely there.
Compared to the cost of buying from the dispensaries, it doesn't take much to pencil out, even if it doesn't completely fill a patient's needs.
I am not finished experimenting with the technology, yet.

Thanks again Setting Sun, you did a great job and I learned a lot.:bravo:

I recently purchased and received a dr60 grow tent and was still searching for a lighting system. Came across your journal and it was just what I needed, I was looking at the hss ppf 400 for my tent and 2 to 3 plants. I plan on reading through it all and was wondering do you think it will do the job. Just wanted your advise btw this is my first attempt to grow herb and all help is welcomed. Great job on the grow and hope to complete one of my own. Thanks

I would love to see how the HGL would have gone in the same style grow but with 1 more panel. Not on top either. Mounted on the side half way up the plants. Rotate the plants clockwise 1 position every day to give an even spread across all four plants. Clearly these lights have issues with penetration and i think this could have a nice result in this style grow.

Also im curious how many lumens these lights put out. I have read somewhere that mj requires aprox 10000 lumens on the plants to be at full potential. Im thinking the HGL puts out around 4500 lumens. (Thats just an educated guess!!!) So if that was the case two panels would be alot closer to the 10000 goal than one. I think i may have got that 10000 figure from a book called "Indoor mj Horticulture, the indoor bible." By Jorge Cervantes

So lets asume the 4500 figure is right. Once again i use Jorge's formula for light intensity over distance. At 3 feet from the light (close to the bottom of the plant) you would be getting around 500 lumens only. Compare that to a 250w hps with 32000 initial lumens and at 3 feet away you are still getting around 3500 lumens. But you would raise the light another foot because of heat discharge so at four feet you would still be getting 2000 lumens. Thats four times the lumens available at the bottom of the plant than there is with the HGL. IMO thats why LEDS just cant penetrate. :rollit:

I checked out the other journal - the quick one - is a great grow. I think that's a great application for those lights.

I agree.

And I also agree with his assessment that he could have grown 2 plants to about the same size and double the yield.

On another note about the CBDs and absorption. There are actually quite a few studies now using highly concentrated cannabanoids as topical application for skin cancer. Not only is it being shown to stop and even reverse the cancer - its the only treatment known so far that does not also harm the neighboring cells. In fact it rejuvenates them.

I'm hoping that the legalization of cannabis will facilitate more and better research into this plant and discover more of its properties and benefits.

What Cephas mentioned was that his doctor had recommended making a balm for muscular pain, and my understanding is that muscles being a significant distance from the skin, would generally not benefit from something applied topically.

Ehi Setting, i'm a little sad to see finish this great journal.
Really a wonderful job.
Gratz.

So I'm not sure yet, but it seems that as far as % of THC and cannabinoids being used in processing your trash, I heard you can get 80% by making cannabutter, which I think is much higher than what you get separating trichs... maybe you can do better with very expensive equipment. am I off? I coulda asked this under the proper forum but at the moment it seems on topic...

Makes sense to me that making cannabutter would be a very efficient way to process trim.

Fan leaves and rough trim really don't really have lots of trichs, but they do contain significant amounts of fat-soluble THC in most of the strains we grow, and simmering the trim in butter for a while is probably a very good way to extract it.

I love efficiency and I hate waste, so you got me thinkin.............

;)

Hey SS congrats on bringing this to conclusion. One of the best journals ever! I've learned so much from what you have reported.

I can't wait till you do a comparison grow of HID vs T-5. I'm running a 12 bulb Solar Flare VHO and a 12 bulb Bad Boy HO. Besides the benefit of less heat, equal distribution of light and the ability to put them within 6" of the plants you get the ability of adjusting the spectrum as you move through the flowering cycle. I start the plants flowering under the badboy using 6-3000k bulbs and 6-6500k bulbs and every week swapped out 2 or the 6500k's with 3000K's. At 4 weeks the whole 4x4 bed is rolled over to the solar flare VHO that is running 10-3000K bulbs and 2-6500k for the final 4 weeks. Still tweaking it but it is really impressive so far! Going to be doing a journal as soon as I get it dialed in a little better. First batch is AK48, next batch I'm adding a few Jock Horror and batch after that some raspberry cough.

take care and happy harvesting! BTR

Thanks BTR!

Your compliments mean a lot coming from a grower with your skills.

My eyeballs have been popping out seeing some recent T-5 grows and harvests!

The ability to change the spectrum is a big advantage, plus relatively low heat, low profile, quiet, can be mounted vertically or horizontally, safer for eyeballs.

I could mount two or three 4' T-5 fixtures vertically and one horizontally above the plants in one of my tents to make a sort of high-performance Phototron.

What I've been seeing and hearing recently has convinced me that T-5's have become a very viable option for taking a grow from start to finish.

Can't wait to see your T-5 journal, especially if you're impressed with the results thus far. I suspect that you don't impress very easily ;).

keep it green brother!

I politely disagree. Too an extent that is. The yield is troubling but not unexpected considering the low wattage which simply equates to less photons bouncing around. In short, we have yet to see a watt to watt comparison between a LED and HPS for a true yield comparison. I honestly do not believe the correct combination of nm in LED lighting has been delivered yet. Once that combination is achieved, it will be very interesting to see how a 250W LED does against a 250W HPS.

Yes, it sure will, and hopefully by the time that happens, LED costs will have come down some also.

I suppose a grow-off between to 2 126W HGL's and 1 250W HPS would give us a better idea?

Now that would have been a good one, especially if the heat from the two LED lights was significantly lower than the 250w HID.

As for the heat, I believe a 25% reduction in heat output is quite significant. This reduced heat output is mainly due to how LED's create light. LEDs illuminate instead of spark, therefore there is less energy radiated. I can't help but wonder if it is this differing method of photon creation that causes some of the differences that have been noted during this journal???

Reference for my 25% heat reduction claim:

"Slight side note, I measured the heat output of my 250 MH w/ internal ballast in my 350 cubic foot room for 12 hours. There is no in or out ventilation as I am working toward creating a high CO2 low temp sealed environment. The 250 watt MH raised the temp from 77 to 89. Two days later I got the ambient temp back to exactly 77 and fired up the new LED light that still has 264 functioning 1 watt LED's and 3 functioning 3 watt fans after a slight shipping mishap. That's a total of 273 watts. After 12 hours the temp raised from 77 to 84. Once I got the temp back to 77 and turned both units on to see what it would do. After 12 hours the combination raised the temp from 77 to 95.

350 cubic foot room:
250 watt MH w/ internal ballast raised temp 12 degrees in 12 hours
273 watt LED raised temp 7 degrees in 12 hours
Combined 250w MH and 273 w LED raised temp 18 degrees in 12 hours"

thanks for posting your observations, I'm reposting them because at *this* point in the evolution of LED's, I believe the biggest advantage to LED lights may be lower heat.

HGL smoked the $hit out of the HSS light. great job bro.:thumb:

Thanks bro ;). Your LED ladies are looking very promising! Can't wait to see how your grow turns out.

I appreciate your support and participation ;).

The weights speak for themselves. Assuming 75% weight loss that equates to .62g per watt for HGL and .175g per watt for HSS.

.175 WTF have i done some really wacky maths or is this right????
If my maths are right the HGL results could be lived with because we know with lst or sog or scrog we could probably comfortably push it up and maybe achieve 1g per watt but could the HSS be pushed up that much.

Top job SS. Looking forward to smoke reports and final weights.

Not a good day for HSS imho.

Thanks Maccar!

Both lights would increase their performance with grow styles tailored to exploit their strengths, which are very different. There will finally be more LED grows to look at and compare results to, so that will help us understand this technology better and how to apply it best if we choose to.

WOW the HGL side is going to be more then double the weight... Yeah it's a bad day for the HSS side...

This is by far the best side by side LED grow I've seen to date...

The Sun has now set on this grow.. Great job :bongrip:

Thanks dog!

There's just a splinter of sun above the horizon, but it's almost down ;).

thanks for being along for the ride!

:goodjob: Sun:welldone: and :thanks: for showing us the vast difference between these two brands of LED. I think HGL LEDs are probably comparable to equal watt CFL's at best but certainly not HID's as once claimed by the makers. Good if you've got heat issues I guess but still way too expensive IMO. Whatcha doin for your next grow mate???:thumb::peace:

Agree with you on all points groover, except that many LED vendors have been saying that LED watts are actually superior to HID watts, not equal to, so that definitely does not seem to be the case, at least at this point in time.

thanks man ;)

Thank You Setting Sun . :bravo:
:woohoo:

You're very welcome brother!

Thanks for your encouragement through the grow, it helped, seriously ;).

So the HGL light produced more bud while using less power. I'd say thats a win for the 1w led's. SS, you did say that they didn't feel wet, does that mean you'd classifly these buds as dense?

I would call this a very successful experiment. What are you gonna do next?

They're not rock-hard dense nugs, but they are pretty solid. I'll comment a bit more on the qualities of the buds after the dry weights are in. Trimming by hand really helps give me a good idea of how the buds turned out.

It's a bit premature yet to talk about my next grow, but things are coming together, so maybe this coming week I can talk about the details.

thanks Charlie!

Many thanks for everything you did that is a benefit for so many growers.

Kidding aside. Any thoughts on putting together a 'panel' of 420magazine moderators to sample the produce and offer a smoke report? Probably have to make a week long event in order to 'cleanse the palate' between samples.

Also, I think someone could put together a narrated slide show excerpted from this thread. I hear Tommy Chong is looking for work.

I'd sure love to attend an event like that!

thanks for your participation in this journal hydronewbie! It's been a blast ;).

Back
Top Bottom