Harvest & curing for edibles

Wild Corgi

420 Member
I am growing exclusively for edibles as I can no longer smoke due to asthma type symptoms. I know most are looking for the best taste and aroma for smoking but is that really needed in an edible? I would think that trichome development would be important for the end result you are looking for and that is what is the most important to me. Anyone else doing this and can you point me in the right direction?

I’m in the same boat, Corgi. Curing is unnecessary but drying time may be of importance depending upon your end product.

I wrestled with numerous methods of extractions and infusions for 5 years with varying success. I‘ve come to the conclusion the more we manipulate this beautiful plant the more of it’s goodness we loose. I keep it simple now; decarb, grind to a fine powder and cap it.

Generally I harvest and hang the entire plant upside down overnight, strip the good parts and leave them in a brown paper bag for 7-10 days. I decarb in an Ardent Nova and it often comes out a bit soggy especially if I don’t retrieve it immediately after it’s done. A quick run through my convection toaster oven for about 15 minutes @ 150° leaves it good and crispy and ready for processing in my Mr Coffee grinder. If you do an open decarb in the oven the moisture shouldn’t be problematic.

“Dinkydow Dust” try it you’ll like it.

Good luck
BCDD

I’m in the same boat, Corgi. Curing is unnecessary but drying time may be of importance depending upon your end product.

I wrestled with numerous methods of extractions and infusions for 5 years with varying success. I‘ve come to the conclusion the more we manipulate this beautiful plant the more of it’s goodness we loose. I keep it simple now; decarb, grind to a fine powder and cap it.

Generally I harvest and hang the entire plant upside down overnight, strip the good parts and leave them in a brown paper bag for 7-10 days. I decarb in an Ardent Nova and it often comes out a bit soggy especially if I don’t retrieve it immediately after it’s done. A quick run through my convection toaster oven for about 15 minutes @ 150° leaves it good and crispy and ready for processing in my Mr Coffee grinder. If you do an open decarb in the oven the moisture shouldn’t be problematic.

“Dinkydow Dust” try it you’ll like it.

Good luck
BCDD
Thanks, BCDD. Just to be clear, the last step is to put in capsules? Can you determine how many mg go in the capsule? I would guess there are different sizes.

Hey, Cargi. Yes, there are numerous size capsules. I’ve used size 0, 1, 3 and 4 gel caps. I’ve weighed a size 1 and size 4 cap. Both were lightly tamped and weighed about 200mg and 80mg respectively. This can vary a bit depending on how finely its ground and moisture content.

Dosage can vary drastically dependent upon anatomical diversity, individual tolerance and, of course, potency of cannabis. It’s always prudent to allocate some “free time” when experimenting with a new modality in case you experience some unexpected results. I was recently chastised because a forum member took a cap of dust for the first time and went to work. In a couple of hours he had to leave work and return home because he was so stoned. Not sure why he held me responsible for his stupidity!!?! As the adage goes, “start low and go slow”.

I generally experience a mild onset in 30-45 minutes with a linear ramp up to peak plateau at 4-5 hour and some residual effects as much as 8 hours after ingestion.

Good luck
BCDD

I too make the 00 capsules from my decarbed flower. Started last when the family came down with Covid and came across another thread here (Cannabis Dust Capsules I think is what they were calling them) They will kick in for me in as fast as 45minutes but I’ve also gone hours before before feeling them as well, but it is a lovely 5-8hrs of bliss when they kick in. I don’t think I had weed lockout but for 2 weeks I was feeling my long hauler symptoms and couldn’t eat anything, even with my reliable buds. Got some pill and the next day I’m feeling my highs once again, but haven’t done the pills yet.

Yep, I remember that thread. Lot of folks got good results from this modality. I think I remember one member that had found edibles of any kind ineffective but had pleasurable experiences with the dust product. What I found amazing was the fact that some were eating it by the tablespoonful. Not sure if their tolerance was that high or their pot was that poor!!

Thanx for sharing your experience. Hope you and the family have a quick and successful recovery from the Covid-19.

BCDD

Back
Top Bottom