Hello! Overview Before I Start Planting!

kaivorth

Feminized Aurora Indica Seeds
Fox Farm Ocean Forest Soil
TaoTronics Grow Bulb
Dixie Cups

This is what I have so far. Going to grow in dixie cups, then move them into solo cups or their own larger pots later. Growing 3 plants right now.

My room gets down to 40F when I'm not there, and 65F when I'm there, is this a problem?
Do I need to flush the Fox Farm Soil? Will not be adding any nutrients for 3-4 weeks. Just water.
12hr with bulb, 12hr no bulb, this good?
Should I add perlite? I bought some but not sure if I need any or not.

Sound like a solid starter grow? Any other tips?

TaoTronics Grow Bulb
Dixie Cups

This is what I have so far. Going to grow in dixie cups, then move them into solo cups or their own larger pots later. Growing 3 plants right now.

My room gets down to 40F when I'm not there, and 65F when I'm there, is this a problem?
Do I need to flush the Fox Farm Soil? Will not be adding any nutrients for 3-4 weeks. Just water.

You have a few problems right out of the gate my friend. The temp is going to be to cold to grow. Ideally you are looking for 70 to 80 degrees F.
also when you 1st start growing you are sprouting a seed or starting a clone and you want to run the lights on for 18 hours per day and off for 6 hours per day. You do not go 12 and 12 until you get ready to switch to flower from vegetation.
What kind of light were you planning on using for your grow?

TaoTronics Grow Bulb
Dixie Cups

From my research, 40F and 65F, particularly when not linked to the light cycle is going to be too cold for optimum growth. It's pretty cold for anything without fur. ;-)

Consider starting a grow journal so we can all follow along.

Good luck and keep us posted!

You have a few problems right out of the gate my friend. The temp is going to be to cold to grow. Ideally you are looking for 70 to 80 degrees F.
also when you 1st start growing you are sprouting a seed or starting a clone and you want to run the lights on for 18 hours per day and off for 6 hours per day. You do not go 12 and 12 until you get ready to switch to flower from vegetation.
What kind of light were you planning on using for your grow?
Thanks for the comments! The bulb is this one

41_V-r5y6PL.jpg

Sounds like if I want to go through with this I'll need to invest in a little space heater, bleh. Trying to not run the pellet stove when I'm not home. Curse you new England winter.

I have no problem with new england weather i am in a basement, in tents and my basement sits at a steady 60f the tents are each between 65(lights out) to 80(lights on), but yes go to walmart and get a $10 ceramic heater, but be careful of the humidity because it will be very low running a heat source. But even if you used pellet to maintain 65f with lights out you should be good with lights on

actually a friend of mine got exact that 12w bulb you linked as an amazon deal and tried .....
your plant will stretch and stretch and stretch because it'll lack light and won't go into flowering as already said.

it might be viable for the first days after germination but after this short period, your plant will outgrow this light for sure.

i'm not that experienced when it comes to LED which i would prefer if i want to save energy, but i would try to get a grip on SmokeSara from @Mars Hydro Led, one of 420 Magazine's sponsors, she might be able to provide you with a coupon or code if any christmas special or something like that is up , dunno you might want to check the >mars-hydro sponsor thread < here as well.
i heard nothing bad about the brand yet and it's a well populated thread so you might want to check it out for additional answers and which model will suffice your needs :)

edit: cfl bulbs can be used, too ... so you might want to ask someone about them as well ..... sorry dunno about these either, using mh and hps bulbs myself :(

maybe if you get an armada of them ...
i'm not sure why you want to change a 12w led bulb (where people tried to tell you it won't deliver enough light to your plant) to another 12w led bulb which approx. would deliver the same amount as the other 12w bulb in the first place ....

> 15.000 Lumen per m² in veg
> 30.000 Lumen per m² in bloom

to achieve this, those 12w bulbs needs to be ~20cm away from the plant in veg, then it'll cover a spot with ~15cm diameter with enough light. if you can keep your plant from growing at that point one light will suffice .....
leds are much more directional then any cfl, mh, hps so if the plant starts to grow upwards, the lower parts will starve, if it grows bushier, the outer parts will starve... and in bloom you need to close in to ~15cm so the covered area will be even lesser and you need more lamps again ....

those led bulbs are to support you average pot plant in shaded areas .... not to be used as a main light source for growing at all ....

Could you recommend me specific bulbs then? I'm going to make an insulated box from an old dresser I'm thinking, and a fan to still give it fresh air. Between the lights and the insulation I hope to keep it warmer.

I built a cfl lighting unit from universal lamp bases at lowes for 1.50 ea with y splitters and some cfl bulbs 6500k for veg and 2700k for flower. The bulbs average about 5.00 ea. I used the 23 watt lights but what I've read you need about 4 per plant minimum. As far as my research has gone with cfls is that you get the most lumens per watt at 23-26 watts. If you want cheap that's the only way to do it. Proper led lights are expensive and hid is a big investment right off the bat too.

Knowledge and experience are 2 different things. Strive for both and share it with others.

I built a cfl lighting unit from universal lamp bases at lowes for 1.50 ea with y splitters and some cfl bulbs 6500k for veg and 2700k for flower. The bulbs average about 5.00 ea. I used the 23 watt lights but what I've read you need about 4 per plant minimum. As far as my research has gone with cfls is that you get the most lumens per watt at 23-26 watts. If you want cheap that's the only way to do it. Proper led lights are expensive and hid is a big investment right off the bat too.

Knowledge and experience are 2 different things. Strive for both and share it with others.

Thank you for the information! So would these do?:

Philips 100W Equivalent Daylight Deluxe T2 Twister CFL Light Bulb (4-Pack) (E*)-433557 - The Home Depot

61V9Fw9U0fL_SL1220_.jpg

Wait a sec, I need freaking 4 per plant!?!? That's crazy!!!! I can't get away with 4 bulbs per 4 plants in an enclosed closet??? I appreciate your assistance.

Thank you for the information! So would these do?:

Philips 100W Equivalent Daylight Deluxe T2 Twister CFL Light Bulb (4-Pack) (E*)-433557 - The Home Depot

61V9Fw9U0fL_SL1220_.jpg

Wait a sec, I need freaking 4 per plant!?!? That's crazy!!!! I can't get away with 4 bulbs per 4 plants in an enclosed closet??? I appreciate your assistance.
Those are pretty much exactly what I got. They won't take up too much space. You can put 3 y splitters together to make a 4 socket or buy a 4 way splitter.

Those are pretty much exactly what I got. They won't take up too much space. You can put 3 y splitters together to make a 4 socket or buy a 4 way splitter.

How would something like this compare then? Trying to keep the power bill as low as possible =/

81JaJyKmkJL_SL1500_.jpg

2-4 plants I'm thinking of starting with. If that won't do it, I understand and will look at other options. Running 4 CFL's at 23w for 12hrs a day will shoot my energy bill up $10-15 a month I'm sure.

Led you need 25w per sq ft to adequately supply your plants. Now matter how you slice it it's still bread and to make it your gonna have to roll out some dough. Around where I live power is .06 per kwh. Each set of 4 bulbs on an 18on 6off costs 3.00 a month.

How would something like this compare then? Trying to keep the power bill as low as possible =/

81JaJyKmkJL_SL1500_.jpg

2-4 plants I'm thinking of starting with. If that won't do it, I understand and will look at other options. Running 4 CFL's at 23w for 12hrs a day will shoot my energy bill up $10-15 a month I'm sure.
If 15 a month added to your power bill is gonna sink your boat you have too many leaks.

Back
Top Bottom