Hello

Ima with lou i would let them take a 7 day extended vaca on the veggie cruuuz...that way they are ready for the next stage and all nuted right by then!!! Are you gonna flush before you flower?

Wow queen this thread is almost 4 pages!! Nice work!!! Although i love the advice from lou ive never tried HID so im not certain!!! I have used cfl's for a couple of years and combined them with MH for stage two and have had amazing success!!! My grownbox/ clonebox is 18"x 40" and cfls are perfect!!!! My bloombox is 49"x75" and MH and hps is best for me!!!

Your MH/HPS are both HID lamps my friend.

Ok, well they definitely deserve an extra week. I actually feel bad because I have been moving the ones who look like they are growing pistils. I was so thrilled when I first noticed them.

Lou--I don't have access to the backyard to do a compost plus my neighbors seem to use it for hoarding their crap. I do have a tea made of used coffee grounds, will that suffice?

Vince---Noob here! Has seen the term flush many times but don't know what it means. From how I have been seeing it used here, I understood it to mean to give them just water with no nutes. Is this correct? Someone on here needs to make a glossary of terms for us noobs, just a suggestion.

Where in my post did I say CFL's are insufficient for growing? I said HID is better, not CFL's don't work.
I'm not disputing that CFL's work, at all, I'm saying they're inefficient. And, I'm not saying you're light rig doesn't work, it obviously does, I'm saying it's safer to use less bulbs.

My point is, nothing is 100% efficient. The ballast to drive the Fluorescent tube takes 3 watts itself, so you can only have 20 watts of light in an ideal situation, which this is not. The CFL produces heat, which requires energy, so there goes more wattage. It's all information available to everyone. Luminous efficacy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Now, I will say, nice plants, man. I use CFL's, too, just, bigger ones, and, not all the time. I use them for seedlings and clones only, they produce just enough heat for germination or rooting, whilst the light is not so intense as to overdrive the poor things.

You're results are good, no contest, but, if you had a 250 watt HID instead of 230 watts of CFL, you could get from 10000 to 15000 more lumens. Just saying, don't attack me because I'm trying to give you information. I was just trying to straighten out some misconceptions.

QueenTokeLove, go for CFL if you're gonna stay small. If you want more area, get HID. A 175 watt HID will cover 2X2 ft area, and a 250 watt will cover a 3x3 area, etc.
Also, check out Jorge Cervantes' book. You might be able to find a PDF online.

insufficient, inefficient... I got your point.

I will admit I got a bit abrasive. But as you are even now stating watts wasted in heat, ballast usage, etc applies to all bulbs mentioned not just CFL's. Which would make them all inefficient at some capacity. I am going to put this to a test because I do have a 400 watt MH for veg. but in my honest opinion the MH is not going to do any better than my 10 CFL's because I will have to keep the MH further away from the plants to keep them from burning. Watts are watts. When it comes to lumen output I am able to take more advantage of of the 16000 that the CFL's are producing because I am able to keep the plants alot closer to the lights. I would not be able to take advantage of the extra 10000-15000 lumens the 250 HID would produce because of heat output and the lack of light spread from 1 bulb. Sorry but I stand by that with conviction.

Vince---Noob here! Has seen the term flush many times but don't know what it means. From how I have been seeing it used here, I understood it to mean to give them just water with no nutes. Is this correct? Someone on here needs to make a glossary of terms for us noobs, just a suggestion.

With the soil you got which is time release nute soil plus the fact that you just repotted you will not need to flush at this time.

Flushing the soil is done to remove buildup of unused nutes in the form of salt buildup. You would usually use 2x or more water than the size of your pot the plant is in.

HD does sell promix which is nute free. keep that in mind for future grows because flushing that soil pre harvest is going to be a PITA.

Um actually I just repotted one. I think Vince told me that a few of my pots needed more soil so I just added to it and not repotted, was that ok? Er, PITA?

I can now see where the lights made a helluva difference! My lil beauties are all nice and perky except for one. Not sure what the problem is. I topped them last night. I can see pistils or something coming in but I don't have magnifying glass yet, sent the bf to get one though. Was trying to take close ups to post but it just kept showing blurry. My tallest one is now 12in and the rest are 11...Tell me what ya think...

5-19-11.jpeg

5_19-11.jpeg

5-11-19.jpeg

For some reason my BB was tripping and wouldn't let me dl all the plants thinking the pics were duplicates or else my high bf did.

The last pic is the drooping one and it was doing so good at first when I changed the lights. I have been misting them and have moved the big fan below them. It is a very big fan but plan on getting a small one to put in closet with them. I think I have 2 sutivas, they are short and stubby and the rest indicas. I wish you guys could tell by looking at the pic.

Comments, suggestion? Always welcomed.

Ha daze i think i was in a daze yesturday,,,, sorry guys....ha HID you know when you know something that you just dont know """"you know????

Wow queen there lookin good!!!! Yah what happned to the other one!!! She looks hot and tired!!! Hows you temps now??? You might want to help her stand now with a stake or two!!!!

I have to correct myself, it is the first one that is drooping. Not sure why, might need water? I haven't watered in a few days or maybe I should give nutes, haven't done that yet. I have been misting all of them so shouldn't be too hot, that was one of my concerns with the better lights though I know they need them.

When they first got started I use the end of incense sticks to hold them up. I don't have anything around that is tall enough to hold the one up,any suggestions?

Chopstix, pencil, legos, ruler, kindling, oversized match,,,,, huh I dont know look around your place my lady!!!! If they are that dry than water them up!!

You could use a trident if it is just laying about! Tie it ip to it!!! Hehehehe

Aston-- I have a huge window fan that is placed under them on high setting. I know the air is reaching them because I can see them slightly moving.

Vince--Honestly, I don't have anything around the place that I could use. Chopsticks is now on the list, wish I would've know this earlier when I sent my bf out..lol..Um, trident? When I think of trident, I am imagining the thing in Poseidon's hand? Didn't think they were ready for water because the pots still feel heavy and I added the new soil. But if you think that may help then I will.

Aston-- I have a huge window fan that is placed under them on high setting. I know the air is reaching them because I can see them slightly moving.

slightly??? whow thats not good!!! you need to have those leaves moderately moving!!! the stem should be moving back and forth to simulate the outdoor breeze that naturally occurs and makes them stand tall and stong outdoors!!!
SAM_1907.JPG

this is my stalk about a month ago now!!! it has gotten a lil bigger now but this is just an idea of how big the base should get. For taller plants and supercroped plants, they could get bigger!!!

:peacetwo:

Wow, that is thick compared to mine. I was actually thinking too much breeze on them would make them stressed...Thanks for clearing that up for me.

I can now see where the lights made a helluva difference! My lil beauties are all nice and perky except for one. Not sure what the problem is. I topped them last night. I can see pistils or something coming in but I don't have magnifying glass yet, sent the bf to get one though. Was trying to take close ups to post but it just kept showing blurry. My tallest one is now 12in and the rest are 11...Tell me what ya think...

5-19-11.jpeg

5_19-11.jpeg

5-11-19.jpeg

For some reason my BB was tripping and wouldn't let me dl all the plants thinking the pics were duplicates or else my high bf did.

The last pic is the drooping one and it was doing so good at first when I changed the lights. I have been misting them and have moved the big fan below them. It is a very big fan but plan on getting a small one to put in closet with them. I think I have 2 sutivas, they are short and stubby and the rest indicas. I wish you guys could tell by looking at the pic.

Comments, suggestion? Always welcomed.

Hi Queen

The first pic really shows heat stress which can be the air around it or the soil it is in. It is ideal to keep soil temps 5 degrees cooler than the air if you can. The soil absorbs the heat from the lights and because it is a container the heat gets trapped. I got a sunshield reflector for a car windshield at walmart for $8 and wrapped the pot. It brought my soil temps from 78 to 73.

Also in the first pic it does not look underwatered.

If it is underwatered the stems will droop with the leaves

Your stems look rigid and only the leaves droop which suggests they are heavy from overwatering. The plant does not have any secondary branches yet from what I can see so she does not need alot of water.

I have to correct myself, it is the first one that is drooping. Not sure why, might need water? I haven't watered in a few days or maybe I should give nutes, haven't done that yet. I have been misting all of them so shouldn't be too hot, that was one of my concerns with the better lights though I know they need them.

When they first got started I use the end of incense sticks to hold them up. I don't have anything around that is tall enough to hold the one up,any suggestions?

Snap a plastic coathanger and use the longest end, that will hold her nicely :thumb:

How often are you misting her? If you do it when the lights are on you reduce transpiration in the plant which the plant needs to do. Also if your sprayer leaves larger water droplets on the plant they have a magnifier effect that actually heats the plant not cools it. Combine that with not being able to transpire which cools the plant in itself and your plant is going to suffer.

You have her in a state of repair :thumb: let her be and she will perk up.

Just keep a fan on her and know your temps that is important right now.

Don't overwater...
All her leaves are green in those pics so she just needs a little time right now :goodjob:

Awww now you tell me. I was going with Vince's advice and just watered them but I only gave them a cup because of being scared of overwatering them..:(

Back
Top Bottom