Help I think I have pests

New Scottish Grower

Hello all I have attached photos of a slight problem I'm having I have little holes in my leaves and have noticed a few wee red and white spots that wipe off rather easily only started noticing them 2-3 days ago but they keep coming back so feeling like it's a problem. Not much damage has been done as of now but don't want anything to serious to happen.

Any advice would be appreciated

IMG_20230128_182435.jpg

IMG_20230128_182410.jpg

IMG_20230128_182336.jpg

IMG_20230128_182304.jpg

IMG_20230128_182243.jpg

we could use better pics in natural light.

from what i see i would say maybe. you really need to get a look on the back side of the leaves with a loupe or other magnification 30x or over.

holes themselves aren't necessarily predatory. but i do see other signs that indicate it could be. possible early mite or similar, the mites would be hiding on the back side. you won't see them without magnification.

As of just now I have wiped them all off but if they come back tomorrow I will try get better photos sorry on a pretty terrible camera but I'll get some better light for the pictures and send them in. Also just ordered a magnifying glass from amazon comes on Monday

As of just now I have wiped them all off but if they come back tomorrow I will try get better photos sorry on a pretty terrible camera but I'll get some better light for the pictures and send them in. Also just ordered a magnifying glass from amazon comes on Monday

"wiping" will do nothing but spread the problem if it is mites. you'll just get them all over yourself and spread them around compounding the problem. most get in to grows from other sources, clones, poor outside air, hanging on to clothing, etc.

they are a bit smaller than dust particles.

edit : get us pics of the plant in regular light. including individual suspect leaves, and the plant as a whole. without it's just too much speculation, and you need to get a closer look with a loupe to be certain.

as a preliminary step before you get a loupe, you could spray them upwards from the underside with a simple spray bottle full of water.

it won't eliminate mites but it will slow them. they hate to be wet, and can wash away, which is why they have evloved to live on the underside of leaves. they avoid rain in the wild, it is how they are naturally kept in check.

you will need stronger measures to eradicate them if it is actually mites or another pest though.

Okay I'll get better photos across and also jusg found a loupe on amazon 30 and 60x coming tomorrow I'll get individual suspected leaves and focus mainyl on them

the usual suspect is a common two-spotted mite.

white spots appearing on the leaf surface is usually the first sign you notice. if you catch it. then brown spotting and possible holes. often mistaken for ph or other issues due to the brown spotting.

also look for thrips, etc. numerous examples on the board. there are also hemp specific mites too frightening to even contemplate at this point. i don't think (pray) that's what it is though.

i've also had holes and malformations appear in leaf structure simply because they grew too fast for the tissue to keep up. it's a very specific thing though, usually absent of any other signs or issues, and dependent on environment. i can't see that occurring under the lighting type here, a better look will tell.

wind / fans / air circulation in the grow space also helps controlling pests including mites.

I see no signs of mites. At all.

And to be honest, for now at least. Mites can be seen without any magnification. Tho I have never seen russets. I hear they are real small...

But normal two spotters are quite visible. And they leave teeny white marks. Lots of em.

Karma sent friend

I see no signs of mites. At all.

And to be honest, for now at least. Mites can be seen without any magnification. Tho I have never seen russets. I hear they are real small...

But normal two spotters are quite visible. And they leave teeny white marks. Lots of em.

Karma sent friend

You definitely need a magnifying tool to spot the russet mites.
I've had them long time ago.
I circled a few of them but as you can see they are a lot.
First (and last) time I dealt with them they did a really bad damage.
But it doesn't look like he has any type of mites.

IMG_6467.jpg
IMG_6468.jpg

You definitely need a magnifying tool to spot the russet mites.
I've had them long time ago.
I circled a few of them but as you can see they are a lot.
First (and last) time I dealt with them they did a really bad damage.
But it doesn't look like he has any type of mites.

IMG_6467.jpg
IMG_6468.jpg
Any idea of what could be causing these holes in random leaves if not a mite? There is nothing easily visable apart from the red dots I seen a couple times but nothing has appeared today.

Any idea of what could be causing these holes in random leaves if not a mite? There is nothing easily visable apart from the red dots I seen a couple times but nothing has appeared today.

Take some pictures under a normal light.
Take pictures of the whole plant.
Take pictures of the leaves that you are concerned about (no zoom needed).
And I think that we can tell you better.
Give us some more info about your grow.
What kind of lamps, medium, nutrients, what kind of water are you using?

Here is some normal lighting pics no zoom but close ups

Lighting - unbranded led 600w equivalent x2

Medium - Coco coir / perlite 70/30

Nutes - Terra Aquatica tripart - previous known as ghe flora

Water soft Scottish tap watter 0.2-0.3 ec straight out tap 7.6ph

Following labeled nute schedule

IMG_20230128_204547.jpg

IMG_20230128_204540.jpg

IMG_20230128_204510.jpg

IMG_20230128_204459_1.jpg

IMG_20230128_204459.jpg

IMG_20230128_204448.jpg

IMG_20230128_204436.jpg

IMG_20230128_204426.jpg

there are predatory red mites that feed on the two spotted mite eggs. i don't think that's what it is though. you would have clearer signs of the other mites they were feeding on. it could be a clover mite if they leave a small red stain that wipes away when crushed. they are a plant mite.

it would be good to get a better look at that thing.

in regular light i don't see anything that looks suspicious. the little tears and holes don't concern me, as long as it's not spreading. i suspect the leaves just didn't keep up with a growth spurt. you see it more on indica leaning plants like this.

i would like to know a bit more about the white material, just to rule powdery mildew out. where's your rh at and do you have fans going in there on the plants ?

there are predatory red mites that feed on the two spotted mite eggs. i don't think that's what it is though. you would have clearer signs of the other mites they were feeding on. it could be a clover mite if they leave a small red stain that wipes away when crushed. they are a plant mite.

it would be good to get a better look at that thing.

in regular light i don't see anything that looks suspicious. the little tears and holes don't concern me, as long as it's not spreading. i suspect the leaves just didn't keep up with a growth spurt. you see it more on indica leaning plants like this.

i would like to know a bit more about the white material, just to rule powdery mildew out. where's your rh at and do you have fans going in there on the plants ?
Rh is set to 55% and I have a oscillating tall floor fan set on speed 1 which is quite aggressive but there's a decent distance between still enough to blow the leaves around

Rh is set to 55% and I have a oscillating tall floor fan set on speed 1 which is quite aggressive but there's a decent distance between still enough to blow the leaves around

that's all you can do. rh is perfect for growing, and a bit low for pm. if your rh rises a bit at night and temps drop you could be at risk. monitor them to be careful. i see nothing at all wide spread or concerning.

you can use a 50/50 mix of milk and tap water to spray or wipe the leaves down to control pm if nervous about it. make sure to get both sides of the leaves. should wipe right off.

good chance it's simply nute residue or transfer from contact with media.

Mate, to me those plants look good.
Are these spots all over the plant?
Or just on one - two leaves?
I think that you should keep monitoring those spots, but unless they start growing or spreading, you shouldn't worry about them.

Back
Top Bottom