Help: Plant been sick for over a month

Not having a good day at all today mate... I spent so much time and effort into this grow.... only to get to the curing part and not be able to do it. I followed all advice on the internet, to dry the bud until the stem snaps, not breaks. Did that, and now I'm stuck with bud too dry to cure. I'm so upset right now I'm controlling myself from using profanity every other word right now.

@Emilya, what do you think is the lesser evil? I'm stuck between leaving them as they are, and not burping them, or increasing their RH via Boveda or lemon peels or fan leaves. Im reading online that its too late to cure, even if I raise RH...

I was going to continue drying some buds from the staggered harvest, but instead im going to start curing them now and just burp more often.
overdrying is definitely a problem and as stated above, once you get below 58% the microbes die out and the curing stops... but are you sure you are really down that far? Put them in a jar along with some of the sticks from your staggered harvest, and let it sit closed for a couple of days. Lets see how much latent moisture is still in there deep in the buds.

If this still doesn't bring them up into the cure range, there is not much you can do. Bovida or any other tricks to raise the RH at this point are just going to bring in the chance of mold...

I still am reacting to the first couple of times I overdried my product, and these days I tend to come out of the hang drying and paper bag stage a bit too wet... but I err on the wet side, not the dry side, these days.

Even if this is the worst case and they are dried down past the cure, they are still smokeable and probably better than a lot of the stuff on the street. It will just be harsher than it could have been, and not a lot of fancy taste, but there will still be quality there. Don't despair too badly... its not a total loss.

overdrying is definitely a problem and as stated above, once you get below 58% the microbes die out and the curing stops... but are you sure you are really down that far? Put them in a jar along with some of the sticks from your staggered harvest, and let it sit closed for a couple of days. Lets see how much latent moisture is still in there deep in the buds.

If this still doesn't bring them up into the cure range, there is not much you can do. Bovida or any other tricks to raise the RH at this point are just going to bring in the chance of mold...

I still am reacting to the first couple of times I overdried my product, and these days I tend to come out of the hang drying and paper bag stage a bit too wet... but I err on the wet side, not the dry side, these days.

Even if this is the worst case and they are dried down past the cure, they are still smokeable and probably better than a lot of the stuff on the street. It will just be harsher than it could have been, and not a lot of fancy taste, but there will still be quality there. Don't despair too badly... its not a total loss.
Thank you, I'll try that and hope for the best...

I, too, will be curing on the wetter side from now on. A tough lesson to learn. I truly am devastated, but over time I will get over it.... There are much worse problems in life...

I have heard it said, that just like in growing tobacco, that the growing is the easy part. The hard part is knowing exactly when it is time to harvest, cut the bud from the branches and to know when to go to the jar and when to dry it out some more. Trust me, with experience, comes the ability to see and feel where the bud is at, or as I do, just reach in the paper sack and feel some of the bud to see if it is starting to get that crusty outside, moist inside feel to it. My fingers know what I am looking for, but it is very hard to describe in words. Curing is as much about texture and feel and smell as it is just keeping the right numbers. Now you also know about how subjective the snap but not break thing is... its not as much of a snap as you would think... sort of a subtle snap in the still green wood instead of a bend, certainly not dry enough to break. Once you have seen it a couple of times, you will know it... but the problem is that you can't know until several days later if you picked the right spot. Keep working at it... each grow will get a little bit better as you dial in all these little details and things that you just have to see or feel once to know it... all the descriptions in books can't help you until you experience it for yourself.

Chin up man - while it’s not best case scenario it’s not the end of the world. What Emilya said - it’s probably still better than any weed you have purchased. I do staggered harvest at times and I often split the harvest and with half do a traditional dry hang into jars the other half gets low & slow fridge cure so not all of my eggs are in the same basket.

Chin up man - while it’s not best case scenario it’s not the end of the world. What Emilya said - it’s probably still better than any weed you have purchased. I do staggered harvest at times and I often split the harvest and with half do a traditional dry hang into jars the other half gets low & slow fridge cure so not all of my eggs are in the same basket.
I have heard it said, that just like in growing tobacco, that the growing is the easy part. The hard part is knowing exactly when it is time to harvest, cut the bud from the branches and to know when to go to the jar and when to dry it out some more. Trust me, with experience, comes the ability to see and feel where the bud is at, or as I do, just reach in the paper sack and feel some of the bud to see if it is starting to get that crusty outside, moist inside feel to it. My fingers know what I am looking for, but it is very hard to describe in words. Curing is as much about texture and feel and smell as it is just keeping the right numbers. Now you also know about how subjective the snap but not break thing is... its not as much of a snap as you would think... sort of a subtle snap in the still green wood instead of a bend, certainly not dry enough to break. Once you have seen it a couple of times, you will know it... but the problem is that you can't know until several days later if you picked the right spot. Keep working at it... each grow will get a little bit better as you dial in all these little details and things that you just have to see or feel once to know it... all the descriptions in books can't help you until you experience it for yourself.
I appreciate you both!

I watched countless videos, read many articles and threads.... just to be sure. I wish one single source mentioned that harvesting on the wet side is very doable, so long as you're willing to burp more often... and that its not too wet. I didn't know that you could take that "trade off".

You live and you learn... Since this is no longer curable... i guess ill smoke it tonight. But I'm almost to upset to.

I'll update you guys with the final weight soon... Im getting a new scale tomorrow

I appreciate you both!

I watched countless videos, read many articles and threads.... just to be sure. I wish one single source mentioned that harvesting on the wet side is very doable, so long as you're willing to burp more often... and that its not too wet. I didn't know that you could take that "trade off".

You live and you learn... Since this is no longer curable... i guess ill smoke it tonight. But I'm almost to upset to.

I'll update you guys with the final weight soon... Im getting a new scale tomorrow
You didn't answer @Emilya's question about are you sure they are that dry. Often times, especially with fat flowers, they can seem very very dry on the outside, and yet still have a lot of moisture deep inside.

That trade-off you mention is a little more complicated than just trading more or less wet for more or less burping time. If it is too wet, it can very very easily begin to mold inside of a jar where there is no air movement and ideally no light for curing. So you really do want to get it to a certain point before you jar it.

Further bad news, expect to keep learning for a long time.

You didn't answer @Emilya's question about are you sure they are that dry. Often times, especially with fat flowers, they can seem very very dry on the outside, and yet still have a lot of moisture deep inside.

That trade-off you mention is a little more complicated than just trading more or less wet for more or less burping time. If it is too wet, it can very very easily begin to mold inside of a jar where there is no air movement and ideally no light for curing. So you really do want to get it to a certain point before you jar it.

Further bad news, expect to keep learning for a long time.
Thank you so much @Sueet ! I didn't mean to not answer it. Sorry @Emilya

Currently I have 4 jars.

The first 2 jars I "cured" are the ones that are 46% humidity.

About the other 2 jars: Last night I trimmed more buds and put them to cure, and when the hygrometer read 50%ish humidity, i went and cut fresh stems from my plant and added them in one of the jars. I woke up this morning and saw that the humidity on the two new jars was higher. One was 64% (Jar C), the other 54% (Jar D).
Without getting into detail, for Jar D, I couldn't put fresh stems until this morning, I could only use stems from buds that hadn't fully dried yet. I just added fresh stems this morning and the humidity is going up above 60%. How should I go about this? should I burp less often if they are at 64ish% humidity? even if its their first week of curing?

Now... the first 2 jars are on their 3rd day of curing, would it be possible to add new stems and get latent moisture out of them still? Or at this point thats asking for mold?

Thank you so much @Sueet ! I didn't mean to not answer it. Sorry @Emilya

Currently I have 4 jars.

The first 2 jars I "cured" are the ones that are 46% humidity.

About the other 2 jars: Last night I trimmed more buds and put them to cure, and when the hygrometer read 50%ish humidity, i went and cut fresh stems from my plant and added them in one of the jars. I woke up this morning and saw that the humidity on the two new jars was higher. One was 64% (Jar C), the other 54% (Jar D).
Without getting into detail, for Jar D, I couldn't put fresh stems until this morning, I could only use stems from buds that hadn't fully dried yet. I just added fresh stems this morning and the humidity is going up above 60%. How should I go about this? should I burp less often if they are at 64ish% humidity? even if its their first week of curing?

Now... the first 2 jars are on their 3rd day of curing, would it be possible to add new stems and get latent moisture out of them still? Or at this point thats asking for mold?
it sounds like things are not as bad as first thought. I would let the jars that are now coming up into the cure range stay mostly sealed for several days, just to average out the moisture (and the microbes) in the entire jar. Definitely burp once a day to let out some of the gases, but only for 10 seconds or so, and then get it back under seal. Your key to whether or not to burp should be based on the RH ... if it is at the high end of the cure range, burp to get it a point lower. If you are in at the low end, be reluctant to burp more than that momentary release of gasses once a day.

it sounds like things are not as bad as first thought. I would let the jars that are now coming up into the cure range stay mostly sealed for several days, just to average out the moisture (and the microbes) in the entire jar. Definitely burp once a day to let out some of the gases, but only for 10 seconds or so, and then get it back under seal. Your key to whether or not to burp should be based on the RH ... if it is at the high end of the cure range, burp to get it a point lower. If you are in at the low end, be reluctant to burp more than that momentary release of gasses once a day.
Thank you Emilya! So if RH remains at a constant 62% or so, do you still burp to release gases? I am under the understanding that after a few weeks of curing burping is very seldomly needed. In my mind, I believe this is because the RH that was once high should get to at a controlled level (62%). What if "the controlled RH level" is there from the beginning?

20210602_095841.jpg

Don’t beat yourself up dude, even if it the rh numbers aren’t perfect it will still be some of the best bud you have ever tried.... I love that the humidity is rallying back in your favor with the stems added, hang in there and see how it unfolds
Thank you buddy. I'm all good, it's not the end of the world. Just another lesson. I'll keep you guys updated, and perhaps this could help someone else in the future.

Thank you Emilya! So if RH remains at a constant 62% or so, do you still burp to release gases? I am under the understanding that after a few weeks of curing burping is very seldomly needed. In my mind, I believe this is because the RH that was once high should get to at a controlled level (62%). What if "the controlled RH level" is there from the beginning?
Exactly... most of the burping is to release extra humidity, but some of the gasses need to be released too, especially in the beginning. That can be accomplished with a quick de-lidding and a sweep in the air once in front of you. After a few weeks, the conversions of chlorophyll and CDB's is mostly done, so not as many gasses are being released, but even with stabilized and mostly cured pot, you should momentarily burp about once a month.

Because of the assumed 3% inaccuracy of my little jar hygrometers, I don't stop getting rid of humidity until they stabilize at 64% and if I am there or below a bit, I assume I am in the curing range. There really isn't a controlled level though, because every time you open the jar, a little bit of humidity escapes and eventually, the product will drop out of the curing range in a typical airconditioned low humidity home. This is why the glass jars that we get as prizes around here are so prized... I use one of them as my stash jar, so that I only have to get into the curing jar once in a while, letting it mostly rest while I smoke out of the display jar, not fearing to open it several times a day.

Exactly... most of the burping is to release extra humidity, but some of the gasses need to be released too, especially in the beginning. That can be accomplished with a quick de-lidding and a sweep in the air once in front of you. After a few weeks, the conversions of chlorophyll and CDB's is mostly done, so not as many gasses are being released, but even with stabilized and mostly cured pot, you should momentarily burp about once a month.

Because of the assumed 3% inaccuracy of my little jar hygrometers, I don't stop getting rid of humidity until they stabilize at 64% and if I am there or below a bit, I assume I am in the curing range. There really isn't a controlled level though, because every time you open the jar, a little bit of humidity escapes and eventually, the product will drop out of the curing range in a typical airconditioned low humidity home. This is why the glass jars that we get as prizes around here are so prized... I use one of them as my stash jar, so that I only have to get into the curing jar once in a while, letting it mostly rest while I smoke out of the display jar, not fearing to open it several times a day.
Great, that makes a lot of sense. Thank you for your insight :)

All of my jars are now above 60% with the stems added, and some have been hovering around 67%. I have been burping and letting RH get down, but it goes back up again after a bit. I suppose this is normal? Should I burp again right away when RH is 64-65%+ or can it be a few hours at around 67% before burping?

I'm not sure what glass jar you're talking about, but now I am intrigued.

Not to speak for Emilya - she is more than capable, but there is a glass stash jar with 420 Mag logo that is part of the prize pack for each of the monthly & yearly contest winners along with lots of swag from sponsors.

The categories are Plant of the Month, Photo of the Month, Nug of the Month, Journal of the Month & Member of the Month and all of the monthly winners have a chance to win a yearly contest too here’s link to that section 420 Contests

Not to speak for Emilya - she is more than capable, but there is a glass stash jar with 420 Mag logo that is part of the prize pack for each of the monthly & yearly contest winners along with lots of swag from sponsors.

The categories are Plant of the Month, Photo of the Month, Nug of the Month, Journal of the Month & Member of the Month and all of the monthly winners have a chance to win a yearly contest too here’s link to that section 420 Contests
Thank you mate! I appreciate you informing me :)

I just finished my harvest for good today, and cleaned the tent. I was pleasantly surprised to see that the filter was filthy, but everything else almost intact - barely any dust in the exhaust fan or the duct.

The stems worked and I have 5 jars curing at 64-65% RH at the moment, slowly lowering it to 62%. I removed the stems after a couple of days and the buds maintained their humidity - no signs of mold or hay smell. I also hung the rest of the plants to dry. Once all my plants are dried and at a stable 62%, I'll take dry weight and let you all know the final result.

@Emilya Not a problem! That's a nice looking jar. Perhaps I'll be sharing a pic of my own one day. We'll see what I can do with the next grow ;)

What's up everyone. Life is crazy busy, so I won't be around much. But I did promise I'd report back with the dry weight. In total, both plants weighted just north of 6 ounces, plus whatever shake I got. The curing didn't go so well for most jars, but it is what it is. The bud is definitely potent! Thank you to everyone that helped me out, I truly appreciate your time and willingness to help a stranger <3

Back
Top Bottom