Hempy newbie

Hey bro. You checking for pests? The only time I had plants that looked like that I had spidermites.

I would advise you to plug into Bluters journal, there are weird nuances to hempy or Dutch buckets, like when you fertigate, cover the hole and let her soak for 20 minutes then pull the plug or tape and let it drain back to its normal res level. He can explain the hows and why’s, but please advise him of the hydroton in bottom and perlite vermiculite combo mix on top. @bluter

I would advise you to plug into Bluters journal, there are weird nuances to hempy or Dutch buckets, like when you fertigate, cover the hole and let her soak for 20 minutes then pull the plug or tape and let it drain back to its normal res level. He can explain the hows and why’s, but please advise him of the hydroton in bottom and perlite vermiculite combo mix on top. @bluter
Hempy are tricky for sure. I went back to soil, it's way more predictable and easy to assess problems. If that was me I wouldve pulled those plants and replanted in soil lol. But that's just me.

Thanks for the great advice - wish I’d thought of it 3 weeks ago. Def will check out Bluter. Merci.

Hempy are tricky for sure. I went back to soil, it's way more predictable and easy to assess problems. If that was me I wouldve pulled those plants and replanted in soil lol. But that's just me.
Too bad - you’re the reason I joined this thread. Good luck with the soil. namaste - hedz

Anything related to hydro - I can kill it, yes I can!! I’m soil guy too but to be fair I wanted to try hempy just to learn another method
Same here! I will be starting another grow soon. Auto Flowers in hempy. If I don’t challenge myself, what’s the point?

Too bad - you’re the reason I joined this thread. Good luck with the soil. namaste - hedz
Haha yeah I tried the way Scotty from dude grows does his. Coco and casting with a cpl inches of perlite. I just found soil worked better for me.

Also when doing hempy in 5 gals I'd set the drain a little higher then 2". Closer to 3-3 1/2"

you can but i wouldn't. the hole is set to be 15% of the bucket volume. regardless of bucket size. any higher and the larger res will help promote root rot and other issues.

the 2 - 21/2 inch mark just simply works to that volume percent regardless of bucket size. but it is not entirely set in stone.

Thanks man! What's the dust from? The perlite?
I was thinking hydroton on the bottom 2" and a Coco/perlite medium. Am I way off with that lol.

hydroton up to the hempy hole is not a bad idea. i just couldn't be bothered to clean it up all the time to re-use it.

don't bother to wash the perlite. i simply dry sift it and use it that way. way easier with great results. you are always gonna get some dust anyway. don't get anal over it.

yes to the cal mag. especially if you are under led. mc is about the most perfect nute for hempy. i run mc and need nothing else. zero. not even cal mag. couldn't create a more low cost and low maintenance system.

We are seeing much better growth. We followed 013’s advice and soaked each bucket for 5 minutes in a stockpot with nutes after they we fed and before sol’n came out bottom holes. I found that kind of messy, so now we have been plugging the holes with tape, we let the sol’n sit in the buckets for 25 minutes the first day before tape removal. Yesterday, we hit 35 minutes. Just started reading bluter’s journal (lots to absorb).

6DAC6B76-9A93-44F8-A583-A901A7292DD6.jpeg
BBBED4AD-0B68-4355-9AFD-9A13B38135F1.jpeg

Oh crap dude - if you’ve got bottom holes then yes that could be a huge part of the problem. Hempy or Dutch buckets style grows rely on a built in reservoir. Roots hit that rez and the plant takes off. Hempy style of growing should only have 1 hole in the side of the bucket about 2 inches up from bottom.

But yeah - this is way beyond my skill set, I know a few basics from studying here but Bluter and a few others are your gurus on this method. There’s lots of ways to grow but the rules change when you switch from one format to the next... and the rules are pretty important when growing weed

Here’s what might work, buy some cheap foil turkey baking pans about $1 buck for each and use that as your reservoir, the plants should sit in couple inches of nute water at all times, I’m going to ask @bluter to read this comment and either approve or slam what I just added and to modify any part of my comments as he sees fit. Dude seriously knows his shit inside and out.

This method would not be good for your average soil plant in veg but since you are perlite & vermiculite on top of hydroton pebbles - your grow style is way different. Soil plants in veg can’t tolerate wet feet but you are technically doing drain to waste hempy when most other hempy methods use passive deep water culture strategy.

But this may work fine as you are doing it, I simply don’t know, I know each style of growing has pretty unique concepts.

So glad to hear they have perked up so far! Keep after it...

i think he just meant the holes in the side of the buckets.

2 gal is a wee bit big for hempy. the original size was for 2L pop bottles.

you can do them any size though really.

you were having issues as the pot was a bit big to wick up enough nutrients for a plant that size. plugging the hole and doing a flood and drain type of feed alleviated the problem. once the roots hit the res it will not be a problem. and they will explode. they look close now.

i think he just meant the holes in the side of the buckets.

2 gal is a wee bit big for hempy. the original size was for 2L pop bottles.

you can do them any size though really.

you were having issues as the pot was a wee bit big to wick up enough nutrients for a plant that size. plugging the hole and doing a flood and drain type of feed alleviated the problem. once the roots hit the res it will not be a problem. and they will explode. they look close now.
hey bluter, thanks for your comments. Yeah, I think that the roots must be close as the growth has taken off the last few days, we'll flood the roots one more time today. after that, I think we'll be able to let the these plants feed off of each bucket reservoir. namaste - hedz

Update: perlite hempy
Started lst, plants are doing well. Was nervous about this as the plants are still loosely rooted and I definitely could not have done this much sooner without damaging the plants. See photos of the base anchor. Lots of leaf tucking too.
9B21AE5A-10F4-4D39-9590-5C07FC8F32C4.jpeg
1FC16DF6-5873-4424-A1BE-08EB7A3CAA82.jpeg
64061EB4-AC48-4EFA-AE0C-2F8AF1AACC92.jpeg
9DFA582A-1515-4294-8385-ACD580520FAE.jpeg

Hi All, it’s been a minute since I posted last. The hempy bucket grow is now 4 days into flipping to flower. Took 20 clones 6 days ago. Unfortunately, only 4 Jock Horror autoflowers made it this far. They are from older seeds and this was just an experiment to see how autos would do directly seeded into 3 gallon hempy perlite pots. The autos are now 28 days old from sprout. Doubtful that we will try autos in 3 gallon pots again. Next time - smaller pots. Took a long time for the roots to make it to the bottom.
8E8FF780-0963-42E1-9326-C3578F2C053D.jpeg
B3A732B2-15B0-4DD3-9FD6-E71E689F973A.jpeg
290D8A05-74CB-4415-9E4E-B46E7B29B397.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom