Hey everybody, new to the scene: advice needed

Skidmarkdoa

420 Member
Long time reader first time poster.
First time growing indoor. I have a question that I can’t seem to find anywhere . I started 3 strains 3.5. Weeks ago. 5 plants. All are looking nice but I have 1 northern lights that is just short and fat. I started lst on the other girls but this one I’m lost of how I should go about it. There’s a lot of new growth under the leaves but I can’t pull top back or tuck much because it’s not tall enough. Leafs are covering up so many new sites. I have a 320w quantum board rig with Cree 660s and it’s about 24 in. above. Dropped from 32. Light is about a 1/3rd up at 120w I downloaded a app on phone for ppfd and Dli . I know it’s not accurate but around about. Just wondering if I should move this one and let it stretch some. Idk if any of my info helps but figured that way ya kinda know we’re I’m at with it all. Here’s a pic. Any help would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• 73DE2E35-25DF-4C49-A7A5-08501C5BFDCE.jpeg
    73DE2E35-25DF-4C49-A7A5-08501C5BFDCE.jpeg
    198.7 KB · Views: 158
  • E78406A2-8A4A-4888-B031-1D525E32C928.jpeg
    E78406A2-8A4A-4888-B031-1D525E32C928.jpeg
    207.2 KB · Views: 158
First time growing indoor. I have a question that I can’t seem to find anywhere . I started 3 strains 3.5. Weeks ago. 5 plants. All are looking nice but I have 1 northern lights that is just short and fat. I started lst on the other girls but this one I’m lost of how I should go about it. There’s a lot of new growth under the leaves but I can’t pull top back or tuck much because it’s not tall enough. Leafs are covering up so many new sites. I have a 320w quantum board rig with Cree 660s and it’s about 24 in. above. Dropped from 32. Light is about a 1/3rd up at 120w I downloaded a app on phone for ppfd and Dli . I know it’s not accurate but around about. Just wondering if I should move this one and let it stretch some. Idk if any of my info helps but figured that way ya kinda know we’re I’m at with it all. Here’s a pic. Any help would be much appreciated.
Sometimes it's just the traits of that plant
If this happens in my grow I top it like other plants and then raise it up closer on a pot saucer or whatever I can to get it closer to the light
Good luck !

Thanks for quick response! There autos. Think it would be ok to top this late? Being a auto. I was thinking about it last week but being first grow inside so I figured I’d better stick with basics. The monster Bruce Banner is showing her pubes already. Others are right on its tail. 3 are pineapple exp. One is genetically off. It started growing and made a hard right at top after 2nd nodes came in. The thinner one. This indoor growing is a league of its own I say. And I give you guys props for all your knowledge. They all started to get wide when I dropped light and I’m at about 350 ppfd according to app. So wouldn’t raising it up just keep it short?

Wasn't sure if it was an auto but since it is I wouldn't top this one. What breeder? I feel like we have a lot of similar ones going. I have NL auto from RQS and Pineapple Express auto from Barneys going right now

This is a tricky situation, and you should feel okay with any decision you make.

It's a healthy little runt - and it's just the genetics :)

Raising your light up high for a few days will help it stretch out a bit - I just did that to mine. But be careful - too much stretch will weaken the stem and branches and ultimately lower your yield. So watch them carefully.

If you choose to raise the light, and you are happy with the other 4 plants' growth, then please raise the other 4 plants up so their growth is not adversely affected.

Your priority is to expose those lower growth nodes to light and air.

I also think your plant is healthy enough to take the topping, benefit from the removal of auxins, and recover quickly.

I'm aggressive with healthy plants, so I would top it, raise the light, then do your LST on the fan leaves to get the growth nodes exposed.

Please post a pic when you're done and keep us updated - I'd like to watch this finish up please.

Great job by the way - autoflowers are tricky!

Here's a great article on topping:

cocoforcannabislogo.png Topping Cannabis Plants: Why, When & How

And just as a reference, you might want to skim @Preston9mm 's journal and see how he tamed his Dreamberry Autoflower:

On Jan 13, 2020 - it was a seedling: Dreamberry Seedling

Then he trains it and finally tops it on Jan 22, 2020: Dreamberry Topped

As you can see, an Autoflower is perfectly happy being topped.

PS: If you like to win stuff, check out the links in my signature below :cool:

Thanks guys. Lot of useful info! I’m sure I’ll post more problems as they arise. Hope more good than bad. I’ll post more as they progress. I have to say this light seems to be doing a pretty good job. Have you all used far red with autos. If so how have they helped? And how have you applied it. I have a meanwell a/b driver so when I get controller I can leave red on for additional 10 min when main lights out. And 10 min before. Seen a guy on video that flipped both ir and uv for a week I think. Can look that one up. I think he had some male parts coming in on them some how. Uv is 395 so don’t think it would do much.

Wasn't sure if it was an auto but since it is I wouldn't top this one. What breeder? I feel like we have a lot of similar ones going. I have NL auto from RQS and Pineapple Express auto from Barneys going right now

I have 1 Nl from rqs, 1 monster Bruce Banner from monster g. And 3 pineapple exp. from fast buds. I had 2 Jackpot from Hws but neither of them popped. 2 BB poped but rookie mistake and broke one tail off trying to minipulte with tweezers. Whoops! I was really hoping those jackpots would had opened but no go and I scraped them and then popped at last resort but notta after 12 days and ranges of temps they went down the hole. Don’t see much on them. Maby that’s why!
But that’s my list for now. I had a home For a few if all popped but will see how these go in my 3x5x7. How’s your grow doing.

Just an update on the short bush. I raised the others up a bit so it could starch som and finaly got it we’re I could do some last on it. Looking way better now. Had a day we’re I couldn’t water so wilted a bit.

Attachments

• EFC716F3-882F-4F7F-81DE-1669EE9466DB.jpeg
    EFC716F3-882F-4F7F-81DE-1669EE9466DB.jpeg
    979.7 KB · Views: 118
  • CF96BA3F-3F2D-4906-8F25-28F33E2AF33F.jpeg
    CF96BA3F-3F2D-4906-8F25-28F33E2AF33F.jpeg
    840.1 KB · Views: 116
Back
Top Bottom