Hi first post - First thread! General early veg questions - Drooping leaves

peacedude71

420 Member
Hi, first post here! I just wanted to start with a general question because that's really all I have at the moment. I have two strains going at the moment, week 3 or so of veg. One is OG Kush, the other is some killer bag seed that I cloned and also she made seeds for me... But this is the first seed I've grown of this strain. It's super citrus/lemony, strong body buzz but good head stuff too for what that's worth.

Anyway, same environment, same lights, same pots, same watering but the unknown lemon strain just wants to droop all the time. She's growing well and quicker than the others, but why the droopy leaves? They will flatten out and perk up like the others after a watering for a day or so, but then it just looks kinda sad. Not super droopy like if you overwatered, but that's the only thing I can figure is she must not like something about the water. I PH anywhere from 6.4-6.8 usually. No nutes yet, just Fox Farm Ocean Forest... Good lighting, LED and CFL...

The thing is, a lot of my veg plants will do this from time to time, based on the strain. I'm sure by the time flower kicks in it won't really matter in the long run based on my experience, but I'm just curious - do your seedlings always have perky leaves through veg, can it vary by strain? Not enough information?

Also this same strain as clones keeps running into an issue about five weeks into flower, but I think I figured out it needed cal-mag... was getting grey then brown spots (not critters though for sure) It is a sensitive strain I suppose.

Thanks!

So there is absolutely no difference in the medium they're growing in? At all? Are you in soil?

Without seeing any photos I'd say it's either overwatering or possibly a pH issue. Add some neutral water (7.0) and test the runoff and see if maybe it's off a bit. I've never used Fox Farm Ocean Forest... does that have nutes in it? If you're already almost a month into veg maybe it's just crying out for food. Could be a genetic thing too. Photos would help a lot.

Cool thanks for the reply. FWIW they have started perking up when I let it go a little extra time before the next watering. I think this was maybe just a case of an aggressively growing plant that got root bound, transplanted (with water) so basically over watered... I actually did check the run-off and it's about 6.8 which was close to the same going in. I might experiment with a slightly lower ph... The PPM of the runoff was 1200... Just from the nutes in the soil. 150 going in... yeah next time I"ll upload pics... Especially if this strain starts having the same problem as before with the brown spots. Using cal-mag this time so hopefully that won't happen!

Even though I've been growing for about two years now, I still feel like I can tweak a lot of things during the early veg...

Yeah it sounds like overwatering. Keep in mind that with multiple strains, they will often require watering at different times, it won't always be on the same day. Different genetics mean the root structure won't be identical, and thus one strain may dry out much quicker than the other. Try to get used to the weight of the pot when the plant needs water and base your watering schedule on that. Cheers!

Girls have perked up even more today, pot is still heavy so just leaving them alone. Funny how easy it is to overwater and not realize it. Good point about different strains needing different things. I try to keep that in mind, but looking back at my personal journals I do see that I water them all at the same time every time usually. I've always got 2-5 different strains going at the same time, but that should change now that I've got separate veg/flower tents. Super excited...

Girls have perked up even more today, pot is still heavy so just leaving them alone. Funny how easy it is to overwater and not realize it. Good point about different strains needing different things. I try to keep that in mind, but looking back at my personal journals I do see that I water them all at the same time every time usually. I've always got 2-5 different strains going at the same time, but that should change now that I've got separate veg/flower tents. Super excited...

There is a tip I read on here. Droopy leaves, too wet. Droopy branches, thirsty.

Hey thanks for the replies. This girl is having some more issues. Here's the rundown of my grow:

What Strain is it? Unknown bag seed hermie seed: indica dom hybrid?
Is it Indica, Sativa or Hybrid? What percentages? ?
How Many Plants? 1, five in room
Is it in Vegetative or Flowering Stage? Flowering
If in Vegetative Stage... How Long?
If in Flowering Stage... How Long? Start of week 5
Indoor or Outdoor? Indoor
Soil or Hydro? Soil FFOF
If Hydro, Reservoir size?
If Hydro, Reservoir Temperature?
If Hydro, what type of Medium?
If Hydro, what type of Setup?
If Soil... What is in your Mix? Just Fox Forest OF
If Soil... What Size Pot? 3 Gallon Smart pot
Size (Wattage) of Light? How Many? Two LED 300 watt, 1 HPS 150 watt.
Is it Air Cooled? Yes
Temperature of Room/Cabinet? 61-84 (too much difference maybe?) Got it stable now at around 65-80
RH of Room/Cabinet? 35-50%
PH of Medium or Reservoir? 6.5
Any Pests? No
How Often are you Watering? Twice a week at most.
Type and Strength of Fertilizers used? Fox Forest Trio, cal-mag.
Size or Square Footage of Room? Closet, pics

Ok So as you can see this girl is still having some issues. This same strain has had similar issues in the past. I thought it was a calcium def at first, there are definitely no bugs. But it always seems to start around week 4-5 of flower. My next guess is that it's just burnt up a bit by too much flowering nutes.

Before this I'd been doing the Fox Forest soil feeding schedule, but only working up to half strength just last week. The veg time was four weeks and only cal-mag added other than the nutes in the soil already. Was a brand new bag.

So basically this started after I started adding the nutes. Is she just burnt up a bit? I did a flush with some off brand flora-kleen I think it was called. Just 1 tsp per gallon, PH 6.5, and did 3 gallons through the plants about five days ago. The runoff was 6.5, 600 PPM or so when I was done. Before I had worked up to 1400 PPM.

They are still wet for now, so I'm not sure the next step if I'll maybe go with 1/4 nutes maybe when the soil gets a bit more dry. They definitely are still growing, but I trimmed off a few of the big fan leaves that were really getting kinda bad looking and she's recovered and still growing...

Thanks for the help. In the past I've had this issue, but never really bothered to flush TBH... I'm hoping this will help, but it appears to still be not over the hump yet and got a little worse on those smaller leaves. Should I flush again?

These pics are taken with the lights off and flash...

Looks like she's already made a few seeds! This strain really likes to hermie, but almost always on the side colas, and never makes more than a few. It's actually kinda great because this strain is killer, and really vigorous. Just been problematic...

Oh and one other thing if any wants to take a guess as to a similar strain as this bag seed, i.e. what it might be or what kind of genetics is it? The big one with the problem leaves... Taste is super strong lemony candy/citrus with a hint of diesel. The effects are very stoney, very nice body, great for pain. Pleasant thoughts, music sounds good. Euphoria. Relaxing. Indica dominant yeah? But isn't lemon usually a sativa thing? I get focused, mentally stuck lol... IDK, I don't really care what it is :) I'd like to find something similar in a known strain. Recommendation? Only down side is that it last just an hour and then is gone.

That OG I swear it is not Indica dom like the seed co says... Or maybe it is, but those nice little perfect leaves and the energy it gives me lol...

Also grew some Ayahuasca purple, and those leaves were very very skinny and lanky looking to me even though it's supposed to be 100% indica.

Hey PD! You Fucked up, you really fucked up! J/k but of course you know what that means right?

I can't really help because I grow in Doc buds high Brix blend of soil and nutes which I highly reccomend if you want trouble free grows with very high quality buds, and it's organic.

When I grew in regular soil with bottled synth nutes, it was always suggested that a good flush could help. One of the reasons I love Doc's kits plus no need to ph water. I can say that once I managed to get my night time lows up to 68, I've seen a big improvement.

With that said, I think your plants look pretty good. Deep green color except for those discolorations.

Here is a taste of what Doc's Kit does for a good grow.

I'll have to see if I can find that local... I do think this strain seems to not like my soil and nutes... Can a bottle just go bad? Maybe they're just cold and wet. :)

Ha I see what you did there! If bottled mutes are t stored properly then can go bad but I think your plants don’t look that bad. Unless your n Northern California then you’d need to order it line. You do need to source the pro mix and earth work castings locally. Let me know if you want any more info.

So does anyone else have an idea as to what this might be? I'm still thinking it's nutrient burn. Seems to be the leaves that are nearest to the HPS light too... My plan is to flush again the one girl, but then add 1/4 nutes to the last gallon so it has some food... The problem leaves seem to still be getting worse..

I don't see anything in those pics that resembles nutrient burn. The bloched leaves are blurry. Could those be gnat markings? Any signs on the under sides of those leaves?

It's definitely not nutrient burn.

It looks like thrips. They are super small. They burrow into the leaves. You should be able to see them or whatever else might be doing it. Have a very close look at your leaves and soil.

Alright, thanks for the advice. I'll give the leaves some pest treatment tonight when the lights go off... I'll be very happy if this works! Interesting that the bag seed is the one that is less pest resistant. Of course it could be the super lemon smell these girls have that they like?

Leaves were treated front and back with FF don't bug me. I tried very carefully not to get any on the flowers. I looked and looked, and still don't see anything crawling around.... Sprayed some of the don't bug me on top of the soil too. Then finally watered with 1/2 nutes after picking off some bad leaves. Man I hope this works because this girl smells SO freaking good. I see why the bugs like it, assuming it is bugs. All I could see were little grey and black spots on the back.

Also, anyone know if I can get the Don't Bug Me on the flowers? Hydro shop guy told me it's just chrysanthemum oil with a non-organic propellant...

Back
Top Bottom