High tempetures

Kayla21

im fighting very high temps, were talking 110f! i got a 4x4 tent with a 1000w hps, cooltube, 6' inline fan and a 10' seabreeze and a dual fan in the window bringing fresh air in the bedroom. The top of the tent vents above the dual fan in the window. How can i lower temps in my tent without a portable a/c?

IMG00272-20110813-2140.jpg

With that kind of wattage I doubt you can.

Yep. That's not by any means too much light for 16 square feet. But it does sound like you've got too much heat. Takes a lot of air movement to carry it away and if your ambient temperature is high to begin with then it's not going to be very efficient. Putting ice on a burned hand can help a lot but all the water in the world won't make you feel better if it's close to boiling, lol.

You're looking at one of the following:

• Cooler intake air supply
  • Air-conditioning the grow
  • Less wattage (hopefully, in a smaller space as you're only looking at 62.5 watts per square foot now)
  • Very unhappy grow
  • Water-cooled lighting, such as FrescaSol. Which requires more than just purchasing a new fixture, but most who have done it (correctly) have been satisfied.
Incidentally, boosting the level of CO2 in the grow considerably would allow the plants to better survive. But that depends on being able to maintain the integrity of the air in the GR and with the relatively low level of illumination that you are providing might not be all that helpful anyway. Not to mention that 110°F is rather extreme. One hopes that you are growing in a large DWC reservoir with insane amounts of aeration in order to maintain the DO levels at a point where the plants can survive (and at those temperatures, the water won't hold enough DO on its own so a simple power failure could sink your boat).

Do your nights get cool? If so, I assume that you are running the lights at night.

Cannabis, like other plants, will stop actively growing at a certain temperature (varies according to strain) even though it will survive in a hotter environment. Just surviving is not enough. At best, if the temperature is too high you will end up with a significantly reduced yield of airy buds. Your neighbor could likely beat your yield with a 400-watt light in a smaller GR if such a setup allowed him to drop the temperature 25-30 degrees or more. Keep that in mind - just having a bigger light does NOT ensure a greater harvest.

Not knowing any more particulars about your setup than you have posted, I would suggest a DWC with a hefty combination of air stones (or the like) and aquarium powerheads. A good chiller for that reservoir. A UPS for each. And a well thought out water-cooled light setup. And most likely... That air-conditioner that you do not wish to add.

With a 1000 w my friend in your spot it's sounds like an a/c unit is gonna be the solution.. Set up looks nice... Good luck.....:hippy:

do you have A/C in the house?
if so replace your existing outlet grate with one that has output for ducting, run an 8' duct to an inline fan at the bottom of grow room and pipe house A/C air into grow room that may bring temp of grow room down to what ever you have thermostat set to. Also make sure you are venting the air out the top of room as i use another inline fan at to blowing air out.
Yank

thanks guys , i just threw a a/c in the window going to see how that does within the next hour. The temps have been this high for about a week and plants have been growing at a normal rate (auto super lemon haze) , with temps now at 90 am i in danger of yield or quality?

thanks guys , i just threw a a/c in the window going to see how that does within the next hour. The temps have been this high for about a week and plants have been growing at a normal rate (auto super lemon haze) , with temps now at 90 am i in danger of yield or quality?

It depends on the strain, but generally you should be shooting for "lights on" temps between 75 and 85 degrees F and a relative humidity of between 40% and 50%.

hey kayla21, my outside temps reach 110-120 in summer no problem w/outside growing. just fyi

Stone pony which strains have you found that cope better with your heat?

Kayla you have some tight bends in your ducting that will definitely reduce air flow and allow more radiating heat from the 1000w maybe you could try straightning up the ducting from main fan to carbon filter and running seperate fan and ducting to and from the cool tube pulling air from outside the room and venting out the other, that air not needing to be filtered would get a lot more flow reducing heat

Stone pony which strains have you found that cope better with your heat?

Kayla you have some tight bends in your ducting that will definitely reduce air flow and allow more radiating heat from the 1000w maybe you could try straightning up the ducting from main fan to carbon filter and running seperate fan and ducting to and from the cool tube pulling air from outside the room and venting out the other, that air not needing to be filtered would get a lot more flow reducing heat

Very good point about the amount of angles in the ducting rhetorrikz
Kayla: I'm counting around 360degrees in turns (only counting the turns after the fan). For every 90degrees worth of angle change, you will loose half of your cfm. If that fan blows 500cfm, then, with all the turns in the ducting, you've effectively downgraded your HVAC system to around 31.25cfm. That would be barely enough to get the air through that filter on the end.
Considering that inline fans are more efficient if they pull air over the light, rather than pushing it into the light; I would situate the ducting so that your canfan is in between your light and your filter (or your unfiltered output)

PS: I doubt you will need the filter for your output anyway since the origin air is coming from outside the tent. Filters are another thing that wastes cfm. If it's a carbon filter, then think about getting a separate canfan to run the filter (as a scrubber: in other words, a separate system that just filters the air in the room).

Back
Top Bottom