HigherDrifter's Water Cure

HigherDrifter

Okay.

Since I can't really do anything with my Eldorado grow journal...

Wanna get my feet wet with making a real journal, ya know?

So...

I'm making this journal to dispel the myths of water curing Cannabis buds.

I don't need to hear anymore lectures.

I don't need to hear all these claims about "ruining my bud" with a water cure.

I've been giving this whole "Water Curing Cannabis" subject a great deal of thought over the last few days. In fact, it's been first and foremost on my mind as of late. I've read all the arguments. I've read all the pros and cons, and the "ins" and "outs".

I've got quite a bit worked out as to what I'm going to do to get this "water cure" going.

First, I've got a water-tight, 33 gallon tote box that everything's going into. Plus, I've got an old barbeque grill that I can wedge below the rim of the tote box to keep the Cannabis buds completely submerged in the water. Here, look...

WaterCureBox.jpg

It should be big enough to hold all my buds, and, at the same time, hold enough water to adequately lift the buds off the bottom of the box. I'll have to do some fancy cutting of the branches so everything will fit good. I want to keep the eventual "loose buds" down to a minimum.

After all the buds and branches have been situated in the tote box I'm gonna fill the tote box up with water. I could use regular ole tap water. I'm gonna need to empty and refill the tote box with water everyday for 7 days, so needless say I'm gonna need a LOT of water.

Using water straight out of the tap kinda bugs me so I decided to make my own little water filtration thing using a 2 litre plastic bottle, Activated Carbon, and wads of filter fiber element - like this, look....

WaterFilterPan1234.jpg

I know it doesn't look it, but I used about 50/50 Activated Carbon and Filter Fiber. I've already ran water through it and much of the Filter Fiber has been blackened by the carbon dust (yes I did rinse the the Activated Carbon before putting this thing together).

I can more than effectively filter about a gallon a minute of tap water - so it's gonna take a while for my tote box to fill up.

Not bad for about $10~$15 of filter media/materials and a thrown away 2 litre soda bottle. I can probably adequately filter a least a couple thousand gallons of water with this particular filter, plus I've got enough filter materials to make another filter.

More to come...

Okay.

Needed a drain hole in the tote box so as to drain the water without having to jostle and/or tip the tote box to empty it.

Used a hot knife to cut the hole.

Didn't wanna fiddle-fuck with trying to get the perfectly shaped hole.

That's what that black ball I'm holding is all about. It's some pipe resin I've been saving. I've got it mixed with ash and powdered carbon (charcoal). It's pretty fascinating stuff and it plugs up that hole in the tote box pretty fucking good. Reminds me of that stuff called "Miracle Seal" - dunno if they make that stuff anymore. Already had this tub filled with that tar in the hole and it seals it up lickety split. Just like a bathtub.

DrainHole_123456pan.jpg

***Just some thoughts***

My buds should water cure fine.

Buds are stinky and stickey-gooey with resin right now.

If I was into making Hash this kinda plant, whatever strain it might be, would be ideal.

The guy I got the seeds from was an evening/night smoker. He said he never smoked in the morning or during the day. He was more into the Indica effects than Sativa effects - like most people...? So, that gives some hint as to what kinda plants he preferred to grow - Dom Indicas, or maybe some splits.

I think I've got something of a 50/50 Sativa/Indica split right now.

Last year's crop (same seeds) - more than likely 50/50 splits. Highs were exquisite and long-lasting. There was/is (even with the young bud I'm smoking now) a dopey, whirly-eyed, floaty, body kinda effect, even sleepy at times - but not so much that it tied me down hard, or made me incapable of getting things done.

My young buds now, like last year's buds, are making LOTS of thick smoke for the amount of bud in the bowl. Whenever I smoke(d), either the pipe or a jay, I would need to nurse and carb the hit to keep from gagging there was so much smoke.

Hmmm:hmmmm:

More to come...

I would like to learn how to make one of those filters..

Real simple.

I just took a 2 litre soft drink bottle outta the Recycle Bin.

Cut the bottom off.

Need some "Activated Carbon" or activated filter carbon, however they label it. Pet stores usually carry it. It's for setting up aquarium filters and what not.

Need some kinda filter fabric, likewise to be found at pet stores for aquariums.
You could even use regular ole cotton balls if you can't find any filter fabric.

You gotta rinse the "Activated Carbon" with cool water too remove a lot of the dust. It's doesn't have to rinse totally clear and you don't have to worry about the carbon being poisonous or detrimental to the buds, or to you...yes, you can drink it. It's very high quality filtered water coming out of it.

Okay.

Start filling the plastic bottle with the media, beginning with the filter fabric (or cotton, or whatever). You'll wanna do a layered setup like - the bottom quarter of the filter will be the filter fiber, then the next quarter will be the activated carbon, then following another quarter of filter fiber, then the last (top) layer will be carbon.

That's about all there is to it.

Go ahead and test it in the kitchen sink. Let the tap water run through it. Good chance much of the filter fiber will turn black from the carbon. That's okay. No worries. The water comin outta the bottom will be a little blackened for a little while. No worries - it will clear up. Still drinkable :) and won't harm the buds.

Got these plastic yogurt/cottage cheese/whatever containers that came in very handy. The whole filter (bottle) sits perfectly snug. The top one's just for keeping it clean. The bottom container's got a hole in it.

Well...this might help:

WaterFilterCureSetupPan_123.jpg

Wanted to take a break from the harvest.

Started at about 6 this morning.

Got about half way through the whole chop&trim and it started kinda rainin, like a heavy drizzle.

Sped things up a bit.

Just chopped.

Rain really started coming down.

I was getting soaked.

It was windy.

And it was kinda cold. I was shivering.

Got everything chopped:

MysteryQueenChopped.jpg

:green_heart:

:cheer:

And the buds in the totebox:

HarvestBoxOfBudsPan.jpg

Turns out one 33 gallon totebox wasn't gonna be big enough.

Luckily, I had another one just like it.

Got another old identical barbeque grill too :)

No problem.

Now I gots to go with a tandem.

So what.

Ah well....

Break's almost over.

More to come..............................

Ha ha

Great so far, you did a lot of work! Usually, do you hand trim wet? Do you have a trimmer? Or, do you hand trim dry?

For this, I know you will trim the leaves and then put in the water curing device ;-)

Yeah...I did do a lot of work, more with all the trimming that I did(yuck). It was cold, windy and wet. Doing all that trimming, with my hands getting all sticked up with resin, the clippers getting all jammed up with resin, my hands were starting to cramp up...glad I only do this once a year.

Maybe the first pic will explain enough...

If not, well...

I'm not drying the buds first...

I reckon that means I did a wet trim.

I just did a fair amount of trimming - didn't go gung-ho with it. I'll do a better trim after they're dry.

I was more concerned with getting them submerged in the water.

Trimmings.jpg

CureBoxFillupPan.jpg

Hmmm...:hmmmm:

Forgot about the lids.

To help make it darker in there.

Why?

I dunno.

Since I'll be changing the water everyday...

Algae shouldn't even be a concern...?

I doubt it.

CuringBoxesHaHa.jpg

That's about it for now.

Just gotta keep an eye on things.

More to come....

That lid is far from being on there enough to block any escaping gases.

Thought as much darkness as possible would be more of a Bend Knee Fi(s)t (Mimes Harpo to Ricky Ricardo)...

:laughtwo:

:loopy:

I dunno what I'm doing.

Sure am having a fullfilling (almost fun-like) time of all this.

Not overly optimistic and/or pessimistic.

Whatever the results may be - will be.

I've given a great deal of thought to many different outcomes, both favorable and not so favorable, considerably less than favorable, even downright disasterous.

I'll live with it, with one outcome or the other.

Ah,

I'll shut up now.

More to come.....

It hasn't been quite 7 hours since I filled the boxes with water.

Something's happening.

I stuck my hand in the water, pulled it out, and smelled my hand. The water's got a very fragrant Cannabis smell to it.

Back
Top Bottom