HigherDrifter's Water Cure

You sure about the "seal up" part?

I've read about people punching holes in the lid to allow escaping gases and to allow for easy drainage. I'll make my own lid. I don't particularly care for ruining a good mason jar lid that way.

The "seal up" part is very important. Why chance anything getting in the water?

Here is link to another members thread:Water Cure, The Members' Thread

All those "inferior" branches and colas, also where most (if not all) of the "disintegrating" buds are, that I've got laying on racks in my drying room....

Many of those are dried enough to smoke.

Some of the buds are actually kinda brittle

I'll practice my naturally absorbed trimming and manicuring techniques on them...for a little while, at least. I'm not going to jar all that stuff. A lot of it is getting thrown in the compost pit anyways.

I've got a LOT of bud here :laughtwo: so I can afford to be very selective with what I keep and what I throw away.

Actually smoked a little bit yesterday evening. Found a clump of bud that was dry enough to smoke. Trimmed it. Rolled a jay with it. Only took one hit off it. It was kinda harsh, smokey, tasted like shit, weak on the high, so I pitched the entire clump and the jay into the compost pit..

Trimmed and manicured a small branch early this morning. Very carefully. Buds and stems were kinda brittle even though the branches were quite pliable. Got as much of the leaf (water and bud) off as I could, exposing those ovaries. Looked nice. Rusty. Chocolatey. Frosty.

Stuck a good pinch in my pipe. Blazed up nice. Mild herbal flavor (almost like freshly cut undried bud, but faint). Still LOTS of smoke, like last year's harvest. Some hack (had a big problems with hack with smoking last years's crop), but the effects are very good.

Good cerebral effects for being a pro Indica plant. I know that doesn't coincide with having a 10 foot tall plant, but, this Cannabis plant that I grew is not even a split. It is a slightly predominant Indica - I'd say even as high as 60%~65%.

Going over some things in my head about water curing.

Been reading this post from Muggles Water Cure, The Members' Thread and how he used "raised ph" distilled water (ph of 10.1 - alkaline, using baking soda maybe?) for the first 24 hours of the water cure.

Got me to thinkin :hmmmm:

The cure water's ph must go down (acid) quite a bit, especially during the first 24 hours of cure?

If the cure water goes acidic - that doesn't sound like a good thing. Seems like it would tend to dissolve your buds quicker than the branches. Buds are more delicate than the branches. Could be what why some of my buds started disintegrating....? Good possiblity.

So...

it would seem keeping the water neutral with a ph of 7, or perhaps slightly higher would be a good thing...???

Hmmmm :hmmmm:

Then there's this other part of the thread where the thread starter quoted someone else's post that read as if H202 (hydrogen peroxide) were being used in the cure water. Doesn't include to explain how much hp to use or to what level the water cure ph should be. Hydrogen peroxide is slightly acidic (ph of 6.2)...so...to kill bacteria?

You seal the jar to keep everything under water, buds float.

Right. But you don't need to completely seal the jar to keep the buds under the water.

I've seen pictures of people using make-shift lids (cut out of plastic bottles, aluminum cans, whatever) with holes in them (instead of ruining the original sealing lid). The holes in the lid basically serves three purposes: 1. to keep the buds under that water; 2. to allow gases to escape (instead of being trapped in the water which might not be good for the cure water and/or buds) and 3. to allow easy drainage.

Keepin the buds under the water - that's a given - no brainer. I, myself, am not too concerned with the easy drainage part, but, the part that allows possibly detrimental gases to escape concerns me quite a bit. If you don't allow the gases to escape it could make the cure water more acidic and that doesn't sound like a good thing to me. Plus, the trapped gases might have more of detrimental and direct affect on the buds themselves, and not just the cure water.

Drifter did this with the racks.

Yep. Thatsa what I deed.

The H2o2 was on the first first only and not much.

Okay. For the first 24 hours...I got that.

Not much, as in maybe a splash of hydrogen peroxide per jar?

That would lower the ph (acidify) a tiny bit. For what purpose though? To kill certain types of bacteria? To kill certain molds, mildews, and fungi? Does make some sense - just like if you were to raise the ph, like someone did, up to 10.1 (which is quite alkaline).

I did all the trim first then cured the trim and popcorn separately.

Okay. I understand with doing a full trim & manicure before the soak, but...

Cured the trim? I'm assuming you mean the clippings, so you continue on with making kief?

And I have to ask: what is popcorn? Another assumption on my part would be to think that means "little buds"...?

Hi HD!
Awesome experiment!! I can't wait to hear how the better buds turn out, and what was different. When you said how bad they'd look, I expected a pile of twisted brown buds. Heck, those buds look pretty good to me and still bristling with trichs. How much have you lost?

I never did find if this water cure could be done to dry or partially dry buds. My tent is crammed with dry buds. I had 4 left to harvest, but took two more yesterday when I found more bud mold. The reason, the evil caterpillar got through a gap in my screen and a firsts laying eggs on three of the plants in that garden. I fear the one egg I missed will hatch and eat up the dry tent along with the last 2 outside. Water curing sounds appealing if possible...there's all sorts of things stuck to outside buds.

If I were to guess on your dissolving bud, i'd go with caterpillars, the corn boring kind. They seem to leave no chewed holes in the leaves, but hatch and drill right into the bud stem. The mold comes after that, but the buds seem to fall apart even before the mold or plant signs of a problem reaches the surface of the bud. The little monsters are barely visible to the naked eye before they bore in. If it was more than a bud, I hope you find out what happened! Even a rose and leaves in a vase wouldnt get that funky in a few days of warm stagnant water and light. Hmmm

Are buds cut a few days before fresh enough to try this? Could it be possible after they are dried, to wash away the crap? I have another bud I cut earlier.today after finding mites on it. It is not harvest ready, but worth saving. However, i did dunk it in water and shake it to death, then left in the sun, with earlier buds. Still... If it's possible to try this 24 hrs after picking a bud, LMK. I have a 5 gal gravity tank that would work. There are always other things stuck to outdoor buds... So what do other outdoor growers do about buds that are covered in bugs or dirt?

Curious, did you normal dry some of the buds from the same plant? I'd love to hear how the differ.... Even photos of two buds from the same plant next to each other after being cured both ways.

Holt crap, my capsule experiment just kicked in. This is way too strong thing I'm pawing out

Wow, that capsule gave the feeling of anesthesia... 12 hr nap. Lol
D, how dry were your buds when you did this? It will take me days to trim my dry buds, but I expect to see a lot of dirt collecting and more missed mold. This certainly sounds worth the try!
I was wondering... What if I ran the rinse water through a 220 then smaller bubble bag? 220 to get rid of bug eggs and dirt first... It would be neat to see how many trichs would collect in there. Is there any unusual steps to dry water cured buds?

I think I can walk now.... Will give this bud a go. Like HD said, there is little to lose here and the knowledge is worth it. :circle-of-love:

Hi HD!

Have you tried any more buds yet??

I sliced up my bud and sunk it in a jar of water. I think the bottom of my jar is full of dead mites, which is certainly nice to see. :)

GL with your buds!

First let me say thank you very much for doing this experiment. I myself am about to skink a couple of semi dry buds in a mason jar that i have already trimmed and have been drying a few days, still very moist. Tis way i have a comparison too, though my real cure takes place of a long time and I really get tired of it.

Anyway i hate to sound like a skeptic, but don't you suspect your water? I mean you made a filter yes, but really i wouldn't imagine that filter would be able to really filter out a whole lot.

What is your water like wherever you are? Do you know the total dissolved solids of your water? How about chlorine or chloride?

I would bet on some caterpillar damage led to mold like said above, but i would attribute some of the trouble to the water itself. I mean the major principal of water curing is to have water that is relatively pure so that it becomes like a sponge to absorb the bad things from the plant. If the water is not neutral i imagine it could impart a different tastes or alter the smoothness.

Just a thought

I took the plunge. I gathered roughly 10-15g of some still drying bud. I took quality parts to help eliminate any excuses i may have. I filled the jar with 11 ppm water, I did not test ph as i have nothing but chemicals to alter ph with and since the ppm is so low i would have a hard time calculating the real ph with my electronic meter.

Anyway after the jar was almost full i started putting the herb in, i figured this way i was least likely to mishandle them. I couldn't think of a way to keep the herbs down without contaminating the water with anything forign so i just filled the jar all the way to the top just under where the little hole i poked is. I covered the jar with a ziplock bag to hopefully keep out any contaminants while still allowing any gasses to escape. The water in the jar went from 11 to 44 ppm immediately after adding the bud. I plan to change the water before I go to bed in an hour or so, then again in the morning about. Then twice a day or so, perhaps more the first day.

Perhaps i will make a journal about my trial, if anyone is interested.

I finished my experimental jar, leaving two pieces in 3 days and the other 2 4. I did the opposite and was nasty to two of the buds, swishing them about and shaking the, in the water while leaving the other 2 pieces be. I left the top open and set an empty can onnthe ex payed stemls to sink them. The other half of the mite infested bud dried in a box. I didn't get the black tea effect, the water buds smelled sweet and healthy when I hung them up. Nothing fell apart when I shook them. The water is from the tap and smelled pleasant too with a slight color.

What hit me was how quickly those water cured buds dried, just overnight! They look brown and smell a bit different than the control bud, but not better or worse. I can't visibly see any harm done. I'll find someone to smoke the results tomorrow. This was a mite filled bud I harvested way early and was just going to toss when i saw HD's thread. The strain is wrong for me in every way and destined to be cooking hash, but when taken early was double wrong. Lol It has a strong taste, smell, and in the vaporizer last night gave me horrible nightmares. I have plenty more buds to play with and will try for the full 6 days.

For my first 2 grows, I was anal on the water, nuts, sprays, etc, always PHing first, sitting water in jars, etc.. This round, I had no time for this and ignored my plants days at a time. They got watered on drips and fed a few times when they needed it. Screens and two sweeps of bug sprays kept that end down. The results were the largest healthiest plants I've grow yet. I'll see how indoors goes again, but as far as future grows, i'm done with meters and schedules, fancy nuts and such. Until I see a benefit from all this, it's not worth it to me. I grow as much as I need, a bit more, then donate the rest. Until I find the right strains for me, that's a lot of donating! Yield and weigh in just doesn't matter... These plants are so much easier than a veggie garden, it's shocking. I lost all my tomatoes, squash, cucumbers and others this summer while the pot lived on. Lol!!

I don't know what the rest of outdoor soil growers get on their buds, but I had mites, eggs, bees, and lots and lots of dirt and perlite on my buds. I think have the powder at the bottom of my trim containers are dirt, not trichs. If water curing gets rid of all this crud, it could be worth it. Even dirt and mites eggs end fall through most bubble bags. While Vaporizing and smoking all these particles is revolting. Tossing stuff like this in the budder pot is just disgusting!

It will be interesting to see how all of our various methods of water cure turns out. The labor involved to cure an entire harvest this way would be huge, but a lot of us could benefit by saving those lower buds dragged through dirt, or tossing anything with mold or insects on it on water. There is nothing to lose by giving the idea a try.

I can't get it straight.... Can you do this water cure with fresh or dried buds?

GL!

I was curious to see how much damage shaking would do, but didn't see any with the scope. Thus, I highly doubt HDs prob of a plant falling apart was do to any rough handling. :)

The water cure make my buds dry enough to burn in a shorter time than dry cure. 3 days in the water and one hanging to dry. That's fast! It also got rid of the insects and dirt. I'm waiting for smoking results from a fellow who can smoke them for me. I'm planning on clipping another bud with bugs and leaving it in water the full 6 days this time. The entire plant is due for the chop, but I have to take a bit at a time as I've run out of room to hang buds. :-D i have 24 hours before it rains and puts my last plant in danger. I,'m worried about a mite highway to the healthy live plants if I have my plants drying in the same room as the grow tent. Drowning the entire plant in a barrel of water, or two or three, would fix both problems!

In my experience, the people the most likely to succeed are the ones who know many ways to accomplish the same thing, not the people who only know one way, even if they are the best there is at that one task. In the process of experimenting and discovering all these ways to accomplish one thing, these people are more likely to have become deeply familiar with the task, as they must think of all the possible methods to use and results of each. The people who are the best at one solution are also likely to let become routine, get dull, and they get sloppy.

Guess that darn capsule I took is working... Hope my philosophy helps explain why I do thing like shake two buds and not two others, or try HDs water cure. I'm glad he told me was trying this and had the guts to try it first. To give you a few reasons to try it too...
-One, you could save buds that have dirt, hair or bugs, the knees you'd normally throw out.
-Two, you could clean buds of debris seen under a scope, like mites, dust.
-Three, you would remove toxins from the plant, including nutes, some insecticides, and unwanted plant properties
- Four, it could change the smell and taste of a plant, or at least make these milder. Sometimes, that's a good thing, like with my strain that tastes too strong. Perhaps it could even remove mold spores. That's a test I won't try!
- and best of all, this is said to be done with dry or fresh buds. I hope someone would confirm that is true.

So, hooray for HD starting this thread. I hope people try it and share it. Between us all, we could refine it.
My latest capsule is kicking my a** am writing my dissertation here. Lol gdnght!

im sorry but i still feel as if i dont comprehend the bennefits of a water curea opposed to a regular cure? is it just denser buds? i saw the pics of air cured vs water cure and the only diff i saw was water cured buds were smaller, does this mean they were denser or just shriveled? and again,

what are the benefits supposed to be for a water cure???

thanks guys!

im sorry but i still feel as if i dont comprehend the bennefits of a water curea opposed to a regular cure? is it just denser buds? i saw the pics of air cured vs water cure and the only diff i saw was water cured buds were smaller, does this mean they were denser or just shriveled? and again,

what are the benefits supposed to be for a water cure???

thanks guys!

The main purpose is to save buds that would otherwise not be consumable. Due to mold, fungicide, bugs, etc...

the main thing is to get the environmental contaminants off of the bud, people also use it to try and remove other bullshit like bugs, PM, and mold.... Some people like the clean taste it provides... It is much faster then a real cure and even a fast cure... it is just a different taste and smell that some people like.. It may not be for you, but lots of others prefer it... Most people do it because it is the way THEY prefer to do it. I have old patients that would have it no other way, who am I to judge.. I just try to keep my peeps happy......
It should be done with freshly harvested herb.....

Back
Top Bottom