Holding the smoke in = no effect?

Judas

Hey there.

I'm sitting here watching a documentary about weed... Once again.

And they just stated that holding your breath with smoke in your lungs DOESNT give an extra effect on the high.

They did say that the only effect for doing that is that something about tar and lungs and bad things.

So the questions stands:

Do one get a longer lasting or more intense high by keeping the smoke in the lungs for a extended period of time?

I've been smoking for about 14 years now, and can say that it all depends on how you smoke.

Vaporiser - not real difference since you are taking in concentrated levels anyway

Joint - no difference at all, I assume thats cause half the shit is burnt off anyway - not my preferred method

Hits from a bong :) - most damn definitely hold that hit in!!!!

It does't make sense that there would not be an increased level of absorption by keeping the smoke in contact with the lung tissue longer.

Personally, I only hold it for a few seconds either with a bong or vaporizer. I just don't like coughing my ass off which often happens when you try to hold in a big hit, especially with vapor!

Since I grow my own herb, I've got plenty, so no sense messing up my lungs to stretch out a bowl. ;)

Sent from my iPod touch using Forum Runner

When I was younger and more ignorant (about 30 years ago), I thought holding it in increased effects. I am particular about taste and now I enjoy it like a good pipe tobacco except I do inhale gently and exhale gently and completely. Savor the smoke and don't overdo it. There's no reason for me to. I don't care for bongs, water pipes, etc. I prefer joints and pipes. Chillums are a great way to appreciate flavor too.

When I was younger and more ignorant (about 30 years ago), I thought holding it in increased effects. I am particular about taste and now I enjoy it like a good pipe tobacco except I do inhale gently and exhale gently and completely. Savor the smoke and don't overdo it. There's no reason for me to. I don't care for bongs, water pipes, etc. I prefer joints and pipes. Chillums are a great way to appreciate flavor too.

I find a vaporizer to be the best for flavor. A hands free type like the Vapor Brothers classic box style that I use. I prefer it over my Volcano actually and definitely over a bong.

I can't handle a pipe, although I use one when riding shotgun on a road trip. To hot and too harsh for me to use if I have a choice of one of the milder delivery methods. ;)

I find a vaporizer to be the best for flavor. A hands free type like the Vapor Brothers classic box style that I use. I prefer it over my Volcano actually and definitely over a bong.

I can't handle a pipe, although I use one when riding shotgun on a road trip. To hot and too harsh for me to use if I have a choice of one of the milder delivery methods. ;)

Tobacco can be harsh and hot boxed also. What prevents it with cannabis are the same with tobacco; even draws and bud from the humidor. Bud can't be kept in a humidor for too long or it attracts mold, unlike tobacco. Pipes with small bowls are harder to keep cool. Even lighting with a match on a slow draw while rotating fire around the bowl versus a high school kid firing it up with a Bic lighter makes a big difference also. I've yet to try a vaporizer. I'm hesitant to change my old ways :) I will one day though.

I urge you to give the ol VAPE method a try sometime soon! If you grow your own bud, this is hands down the best way to appreciate the subtle differences between your quality strains! You can actually taste the difference between two identical clones that were harvested at slightly different lengths of time! :thumb:

It wasn't until I started vaping that I really got to taste the difference between say a good Northern Lights bud and the genuine Grand Daddy Purple! While both taste like 5 star weed in a pipe or bong, in a vaporizer, GDP is a whole other world of unique flavors that no other strain I have vaped can match!

The high from a vape is unlike anything you have had from a combustion based delivery method too. Much deeper and longer lasting, and again, each strain is very unique in the effects as compared to a bong or a pipe.

You should definitely give it a try! You will ask yourself why you didn't try it sooner, and I would venture to say that it will quickly become your "toke of choice". It sure was a EUREKA MOMENT for me! :)

Regarding using a humidor for storing cured bud. I've got aged bud here that is over 18 months old and no mold problems ever. If you dry and cure it slowly and at the right moisture levels you can keep it like cigars and pipe tobacco. The key is in maintaining a good slow dry cycle, followed by an equally slow curing process in total darkness using glass mason jars. I cure all my bud a minimum of four weeks before I will even try it. Often times I will put it back to cure longer before I transfer it to one of my Good Grip containers which I also keep in a dark climate controlled closet. Right next to my cigar and pipe tobacco humidors actually! ;)

I use THESE (72% RH version) in all of my Good Grips storage containers. I find that this combo makes an excellent bud storage system and allows you to AGE your bud much like you would age good cigars and pipe tobacco! :thumb:

Ohhh golden so true... Vap's the best I'd say....no need to stretch that bowl when you got your own garden....great point....holding in the smoke is dumb.....load another bowl.....:hippy:

When it comes to joints holding it in makes no difference.I believe most of the high comes from the warmed up part of the joint just behind the burning end where the weed gets vaped rather than burnt.Inhaling and exhaling deeply is enough to get the job done.

I've seen information that claims the THC is absorbed by the lungs within three seconds... but there are over 400 active chemicals in cannabis that are taken in as you hold the inhale. The only concern could be how long it takes for oxygen deprivation to effect the brain and that probably takes longer than most people hold their hit.

Back
Top Bottom