How do they look and when to top?

steelcurtain22

So I have a journal started and actually not my first here, current one is…

Steelcurtain22: Soil, GSC - 2022​

I’ve never been able to set these up to show as they should?
Any who, so these are my two girls both are GSC’s feminized. They are going at pretty much the same pace both sprouting on Feb 15th so 13 days old. Just wondering if they look okay. My plan is to top both twice, did top once but still unsure at what node to do first? Also transplanting into final home, 3g pots, should I transplant then top which is what I think I should do? Keep in mind they are not quite as dark as they appear in the pic, bad lighting sry.

071ABC8E-DE7B-44CD-82B5-5C1EECEF77BC.jpeg

5E261319-FABE-4F0B-81C5-AC572AB26861.jpeg

Hey bobrown14, thx for stopping by. So never knew that about GSC to be honest, 4th growth ever so still pretty ‘green’ haha! Just thought I would fill my 2x4 net with the two and increase yields by topping?
So I’m researching and others have topped and scrogged GSC, will keep looking into it though.

Hey bobrown14, thx for stopping by. So never knew that about GSC to be honest,
So I’m researching and others have topped and scrogged GSC, will keep looking into it though.
My thinking is that your interpretation of what @bobrown14 was mentioning is not what he way trying to say. I read it as if when he is growing GSC plants they do get tall enough to need topping. Most likely he does what it takes to get them to grow as fast as possible and once they get to a certain size and are ready, then they go into the flowering period. He does not let them get so tall that they need to be topped. Just my thoughts on what he typed in that msg.

Back to your question. The plants look like they are healthy and looking good in general. If you want to top them we can't stop you. But, if it was me I would wait awhile yet and let them get a bit larger.

Your statement of "... My plan is to top both twice, did top once but still unsure at what node to do first? ..." is a bit confusing. Does this mean that your plans are to top the GSC plants twice and did top them once already? Or does it mean that you planned on topping them twice and you you have already done one topping?

Like I mentioned they look healthy and they should grow well.

I wasn’t planning on topping yet, just preparing myself. Also i was under the impression that topping was more about increasing yield which is why I’m doing it not for fear of space. Topping from what I’ve seen is done anywhere from the 5,6,7 nodes so I won’t be waiting to long but am at least waiting til they’re potted in the final home. Sry, I confuse myself on a regular basis. I want to top twice, haven’t topped at all yet. My plan is to let them dry out, then transplant, then start topping with LST and hopefully filling my scrog? Cheers!

I wasn’t planning on topping yet, just preparing myself. Also i was under the impression that topping was more about increasing yield which is why I’m doing it not for fear of space. Topping from what I’ve seen is done anywhere from the 5,6,7 nodes so I won’t be waiting to long but am at least waiting til they’re potted in the final home. Sry, I confuse myself on a regular basis. I want to top twice, haven’t topped at all yet. My plan is to let them dry out, then transplant, then start topping with LST and hopefully filling my scrog? Cheers!
Nope topping does not increase yields.

Yields you have to consider time + weight of harvest. Most people just consider weight.

Topping a plant caused a 2 week growth stop while the plant grows new tops. This is counter productive.

As mentioned look into super cropping.

I do not top plants unless mothers and even then I usually just take side branches for cuts.

I've grown GSC many times it wont get tall enough to need supercrop.

Topping and yields.. as mentioned 14 days of cutting off growth both above and below ground while the plant recovers. Then those 2 new tops will be smaller than the 1 top to cut off and tossed or cloned.

All of my plants grow plenty of side branches and yours will too.

Nope topping does not increase yields.

Yields you have to consider time + weight of harvest. Most people just consider weight.

Topping a plant caused a 2 week growth stop while the plant grows new tops. This is counter productive.

As mentioned look into super cropping.

I do not top plants unless mothers and even then I usually just take side branches for cuts.

I've grown GSC many times it wont get tall enough to need supercrop.

Topping and yields.. as mentioned 14 days of cutting off growth both above and below ground while the plant recovers. Then those 2 new tops will be smaller than the 1 top to cut off and tossed or cloned.

All of my plants grow plenty of side branches and yours will too.
Well your the first person I’ve come across that say’s this doesn’t increase yields. Every site I’ve looked at and that’s a lot, talk about proven results that topping can increase yields? I’m hoping other members can weight in on this as this is only my 4th grow, second time topping, (first grow ever was first) so not a good comparison there. I appreciate your input though, intrigued now, lol.

Well your the first person I’ve come across that say’s this doesn’t increase yields. Every site I’ve looked at and that’s a lot, talk about proven results that topping can increase yields? I’m hoping other members can weight in on this as this is only my 4th grow, second time topping, (first grow ever was first) so not a good comparison there. I appreciate your input though, intrigued now, lol.
I'm not the first person, I learned that one from Coots.

Topping - really what does it do?

A: splits the apical meristem into 2 separate smaller stems and it takes 2 weeks to do that.

Meanwhile an up topped plant continues to grow a much larger main stem (and flower).
Yeah you can top away and VEG for several more weeks - thats not increasing yields that is extending your harvest time.

topping alone will not increase yields.
topping and training together will increase yields.

you may want to look in to lst or quadlining.

it does take extra veg time. the difference is you are creating and managing the space. most of us only have a tent for space. the canopy can only get so large. managing and maximizing the canopy will always return more. but it takes a comprehensive approach. you have to plant for it.

if you are growing an auto or if this is a first grow i would not recommend it. it's best to learn topping and training methods with photos. if this is a first grow i'd run them as a regular plant just for the learning curve. i'd train and top on subsequent grows.

I'm not the first person, I learned that one from Coots.

Topping - really what does it do?

A: splits the apical meristem into 2 separate smaller stems and it takes 2 weeks to do that.

Meanwhile an up topped plant continues to grow a much larger main stem (and flower).
Yeah you can top away and VEG for several more weeks - thats not increasing yields that is extending your harvest
I said first ‘I’ve’ come across, but anyway, you keep saying two smaller buds. What your not mentioning is that the plant is no longer putting all its efforts and energy into one cola. Now it can spread out to many branches with proper branch training you can have many colas per branch that now are bigger than had you not topped. So yes I understand they may be two smaller volas compared to one main but those two colas will still be a good size and with additional training all the other buds getting extra effort will also be bigger and more of them. Either way I respect what your saying but we can agree to disagree.

Can you point me to some science that talks about plants re-routing their energies after topping plants or even damage to plants via wind or something that actually increases biomass (yields) in plants any plant will do?

Pretty 420% on plants requiring apical meristems. There's a lot of functions these plant parts do. Not just grow flowers.

For example - how do plants actually grow flowers?

Plant growth regulators play a huge role in that and most of those PGR's are triggered by the apical meristem (main stem).

Do an experiment

Take to clones - top one let the other one grow naturally.

Harvest them both at the same time and dry/trim and weigh it up.

i've grown both methods.
in a large grow we just lollipopped a little and let them grow natural. in smaller spaces i'll top and train.

topping alone won't increase what you can get from the plant.

topping alone will not increase yields.
topping and training together will increase yields.

you may want to look in to lst or quadlining.

it does take extra veg time. the difference is you are creating and managing the space. most of us only have a tent for space. the canopy can only get so large. managing and maximizing the canopy will always return more. but it takes a comprehensive approach. you have to plant for it.

if you are growing an auto or if this is a first grow i would not recommend it. it's best to learn topping and training methods with photos. if this is a first grow i'd run them as a regular plant just for the learning curve. i'd train and top on subsequent grows.

I said first ‘I’ve’ come across, but anyway, you keep saying two smaller buds. What your not mentioning is that the plant is no longer putting all its efforts and energy into one cola. Now it can spread out to many branches with proper branch training you can have many colas per branch that now are bigger than had you not topped. So yes I understand they may be two smaller volas compared to one main but those two colas will still be a good size and with additional training all the other buds getting extra effort will also be bigger and more of them. Either way I respect what your saying but we can agree to disagree.
bluter nailed it and settles it, topping “alone” does not increase yield. So really your right bobrown in what you say, it’s my bad. I planned on doing both topping and LST so I’m think increasing yield.

because they are from branches, clones have a different structure than a mother plant. i have done loads of clone runs that i trained out for greater yield.

Can you point me to some science that talks about plants re-routing their energies after topping plants or even damage to plants via wind or something that actually increases biomass (yields) in plants any plant will do?

Pretty 420% on plants requiring apical meristems. There's a lot of functions these plant parts do. Not just grow flowers.

For example - how do plants actually grow flowers?

Plant growth regulators play a huge role in that and most of those PGR's are triggered by the apical meristem (main stem).

Do an experiment

Okay so you sound more advanced then me, I’m simpleton sally at this point. As said 4th grow ever so I’m still “green” pun intended.I could do just what you said bobrown as Laverne & Shirley (I named them) are pretty much identical so we’ll see.

LST is your friend here. You can accomplish your goal with that method.

I super crop when plants get into the lights that I've pinned to the ceiling.

Topping pretty much stops vertical growth from what I've seen. This is just me but I prefer to use all the space under the lights for flower production.

You soil nutritional value is going to have a much bigger affect on your yields than anything we can manipulate in the grow room given the genetics are there.

@bobrown14 is correct.

topping alone will not increase yield. and you lose the apical cola.
topping and training together is the key

Okay so you sound more advanced then me, I simpleton sally at this point. As said 4th grow ever so I’m still “green” pun intended I could do just what you said bobrown as Laverne & Shirley (I named them) are pretty much identical so we’ll see.
Imma farmer been at this a long while. Lernt some things along the way just sharing brother that's all. Sometimes come on as a smarty pants but its usually when the bro-science takes over the real science I get excited.

Back
Top Bottom